Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Green Vision: A Solar Powered Desalination Plant With CAES Backup [View article]
    Hi Jake: Yes, that would be a distributed solar power system, which is a bit more complicated and less efficient, but in theory could work. As for the waste water treatment, this is what they are doing in Singapore. Not sure if you have seen the documentary "Last Call At The Oasis", but I think it would interest you. They discuss the bottled water phenomenon, Las Vegas' approaching problem, in addition to Singapore's waste water treatment plant.
    Aug 27 09:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi experienced: I won't debate the what company has the highest efficiency solar panels, but I will say that great strides have been made in both efficiency and cost over the last decade and it is the concept in general that is important rather than the specific vendor chosen. Wrt China, if you read my first article on SWRO plants (the one on Consolidated Water, you will see many links in that article pointing to exactly how bad the problem is in China - it is horrific. Check out this map on ERII's website and look at all the installations on China's east coast:

This is a great map - you can zoom in at different regions around the world and check out what is happening. SO, there are more SWRO units needed now and for a long time into the future (imho).

As for your last comment, I think there is a need for an SWRO to be completely self sufficient. If we generate yet more CO2 to solve a fresh water problem that is partly because of all the CO2 already generated, well, it kind of defeats the purpose. That said, I would certainly agree it makes sense to integrate any solar array system into the grid and make use of the power in the most cost efficient way.
    Aug 27 06:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The desal plant, in effect, IS the water treatment facility...
    Aug 27 06:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    vwdiesel10: Yes, I believe I commented on the large size of the array needed. But of course we are talking about the largest SWRO plant in the western hemisphere, so the example was illustrative. At the same time, I am sure you realize that many places that need fresh water - such as the Middle East and North Africa for example - have hundreds of thousands of square miles of desert which, even if we take some transmission losses, is still better than a power plant running on coal, oil, or even diesel (no offense). As for tidal power, all for it as long as it is economic and meets the power generation specification and constraints. The CAES systems are not cheap - one well designed unit should be sufficient. As for thermal, when I was a young engineering student at Ga Tech there was a thermal plant, using computer controlled mirrors to track the sun, on the campus. That was in the late 1970s. It has never seemed to catch on like solar arrays made from panels. Thanks for the thought provoking comment.
    Aug 27 06:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mobile LNG Delivery Fueling Chart Industries' Growth In China [View article]
    Thank you Mudbug. If I get around to it, I'll ask an SA editor to correct it.
    Aug 27 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Phillips 66 is the best refiner to buy now, Credit Suisse says [View news story]
    Hi Scooter - well, I don't have detailed knowledge on the Midstream segment's capacity run-rate. However, in general there is a lack of pipeline infrastructure in the US right now due to the shale revolution so I would think it is safe to assume PSX's Midstream unit is operating at a very high level. The upside I see in Midstream is via dropping down assets to the MLP (PSXP). This will result in higher tax advantaged distributions and eventually into higher dividends for PSX shareholders
    Aug 27 08:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ConocoPhillips: Investor Update On The Safe Dividend, Venezuela, Libya, And More [View article]
    I dunno Nat, that is what I tried to point out at the beginning of this thread: that their dividend cushion model was not equipped to handle a company that has been doing what COP has with their strategic plan, that is, to sell a large quantity of high-valued non-core assets (which they have done very successfully) and plow the proceeds into low-risk exploitation projects to raise productions and margins (and the dividend). Then in trying to explain that rating, they say they like the stock and fully expect the company to sustain its dividend. Sounds like double-speak to me. Either the dividend is very risky, or it's not. And, my analysis clearly shows the dividend is very safe for at least a couple years. Beyond that it is very safe unless Val can prove COP's organic production plans will not materialize. And Val cannot do that because they are low risk exploitation plans of well known assets. Bottom line, their analysis of COP is botched in my opinion - both in terms of the dividend analysis and "value creation". They apparently just don't understand what COP is doing.
    Aug 27 07:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the .pdf but you lost me with rating Exxon's value creation as "excellent" and COP"s as "poor". It has been exactly the opposite over the past few years, and I see no indications the trend will reverse itself anytime soon (at either company).
    Aug 27 07:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am reading your responses, and you explanations have been lengthy. But still, I just cannot square your dividend safety rating of "very poor" with your statements that you like the company and "fully expect ConocoPhillips to sustain its dividend." To me, it's a contradictory stance. And I don't think COP is worried about raising their "dividend cushion" rating...I know I am not. But that's ok, people can disagree. Time to move on.
    Aug 26 04:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Credit Suisse says: "given refining accounts for only ~30% of value and chemicals/midstream is "doing very nicely, thank you,"

How polite! And they are correct - PSX is the most diversified of all the big US refiners. Add to that the drop-down asset model of PSX -->> PSXP and, despite the Q2 miss (which was mostly due to power outages), you've got a great dividend income proposition:

Aug 26 04:31 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Val: One minute you rate COP's dividend safety as "very poor", and the next minute say you like the stock "a lot" and "we fully expect ConocoPhillips to sustain its dividend." I find these statements inconsistent at best and at worst, totally contradictory.
    Aug 26 04:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, Venezuelan crude is heavy and as a result much of the Gulf Coast refining capacity was retooled to handle it (and Saudi heavy) back before the shale oil revolution when it was generally agreed the US would be importing oil from Venezuela and Saudi for the duration - which may well happen again when light sweet shale oil production begins to fall off. The biggest leverage the US has in terms of payment of any court awards is the fact that the US is VZ's largest export market: 22,000,000 barrels in May of this year. At $100/barrel, that's $2.2 billion right there. I doubt VZ is going to risk that kind of long-term monthly revenue stream over an estimated $10 billion award to XOM & COP for expropriation. That is why I think those predicting that COP & XOM will never see a dime out of any VZ court award are wrong.
    Aug 26 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil: Time To Break It Up And Slim It Down [View article]
    In generally, I have been doing that for years now, with a few exceptions.
    Aug 26 08:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Energy Recovery Inc: Shares Could Double On Patented Desalination Product Line [View article]
    Wow, I just finished watching a documentary called "Last Call At The Oasis" on the pilotTV cable channel network:

If there was ever a siren call for new potable water solutions, this documentary is it.
    Aug 25 09:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Nat. Yes, but resource nationalization appears to be a fact of life these days. The best approach would probably be a wise and consistent foreign policy.
    Aug 25 09:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment