Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Boone Pickens: The U.S. Is Subsidizing China's Iraqi Oil - Why? [View article]
    Exactly! Bit it is NGVs in the long haul, refuse, fleet, and bussing sectors that are making the big difference in reducing foreign oil imports. Not EVs.
    Jun 30 05:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I never said Tesla would fail - those are your words. I also never said Tesla must fail in order for NGVs to catch on. I simply don't understand your logic nor how you could come up with such an incorrect comprehension of my views. Worldwide, NGVs already drastically outnumber EVs so your entire premise of my views and the data is flawed.

But I am glad you have nothing against NGVs.
    Jun 30 05:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I don't care about Axion and/or Tesla. I am glad for Tesla stockholders that the stock has gone up. Good for them. What I do object to is advertising the car as "zero emissions" when it's batteries are 40% re-charged by coal. What I do object to is "environmentalist" that say EVs are going to save us from CO2 and toxic particulate emissions and reduce foreign oil import. Those are the things we should be keeping our eyes on, and EVs are simply not making an impact in these two important areas. NGVs are.
    Jun 30 05:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have been to Canada many times and I have no idea what your first comment means. Yes, Canada has lot of hydro, and it also has lot of oil sands. I don't know what your point is. You may not care about emissions, I do. The reason the US gov is bending over backwards in their support of EVs is because they know it is a drop in the ocean in terms of making a difference, and that is just what the oil lobby wants: sticking to the status quo (gasoline). I have nothing against EVs in general. What I am objecting to is the incorrect assumption that they will:

1) significantly reduce foreign oil imports
    2) significantly reduce CO2 and particulates

In the big picture, these are the two things that matter to me. EVs will not significantly alter the big picture. NGVs can, and are.
    Jun 30 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    true north: JP's article was based on a Stanford University Global Climate and Energy Project study that was published in the Royal Society of Chemistry's Journal of Energy & Environmental Science. Does Stanford and the Royal Society of Chemistry also hate Tesla and support Axion Power? I highly doubt it.
    Jun 30 05:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Heavy Crude Prices Are Rising: Suncor Rakes In The Dough [View article]
    I'm all for phasing out coal. I was just in Colorado, which is ground zero for global warming, and the entire state is a tinderbox. Obama is moving too slow on the matter. 2015 for new EPA rules? Too long. And of course natural gas transportation would be the best way to reduce CO2 emissions after getting coal out of the electrical generation sector. As for WCS, it will be around for a long time. After the shale plays begin to peter out, it will be an economic necessity. I doubt XOM would have brough Kearl online, and built all the rail infrastructure, if they though the oil sands were not going to be profitable. As for SU, I think their decisions to slow investment have been very prudent given current economics. I also like their profitability and big dividend increase and share buyback.
    Jun 30 04:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron's Recent Drop In Price Is A Great Opportunity For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    Thanks for the link to my article. Oh, btw, I still think CVX is a strong buy under $120. I also think it is easy to write short-term based articles taking advantage of market swings to look like an expert. The real test is: where will CVX be in 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? Not one month.
    Jun 30 04:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whiting Petroleum: Q1 Production Up 10%, Net Income Down [View article]
    Why do you say I like the Bakken over the EF and Permian? I have written many times that the EF is the most economic shale play in the country:

And this article points out that while WLL has been growing its production in the Bakken at a nice clip, the company cannot seem to increase net income. So the assumptions leading to your question are incorrect.
    Jun 30 04:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ConocoPhillips-led (COP) Freeport LNG is seeking financing to start construction next year on its $11B natural gas export facility in Texas that in six years is scheduled to ship 2.1B cubic feet/day of gas. One train a year is expected to open in 2017, 2018 and 2019, CEO Michael Smith says; financing will have equity and debt components. (earlier[View news story]
    This report is erroneous. As I reported, COP is not leading this project, nor do they have an equity position in the LNG export plant:

Jun 30 04:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron Is A Strong Buy [View article]
    Thanks Justin and blueGT. The markets are very volatile these days, so you might get an entry point in CVX on a volatile dip.
    Jun 13 06:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jbrob: I would agree long-haul trucking and fleets are a good starting point, but there is no impediment for using NGVs for personal transport. Countries all over the world are doing it. Just not in the good ole USA. The point of whether electricity is generated by coal or natural gas is essential: it is the difference between the dirtiest fossil fuel and the cleanest fossil fuel. It is the difference between heavy metal toxic particulates and zero particulates. It is the difference between breathing healthy air of toxic air.
    Jun 13 05:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Try re-reading the article true.north. Drop your ideology for just a few minutes, read, and *think*. When you are ready, read at least the summary section of the article, where I, for the 2nd time, recommended Phillips 66, a refiner. Why? Because the combination of idiotic US energy policy and misguided "environmentalists" mean the focus will stay on the EV. This "strategy" will have a negligible effect in reducing both foreign oil imports and gasoline consumption. Gasoline will keep marching higher (the avg. price was a record high last year). Come to think of it, did you even read the article to begin with?
    Jun 13 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You don't know why that is? I have been trying to inform you: the automakers won't put their weight behind NGVs because they know the government (and the power of the oil, refining, railroad, and utility companies) is not supportive.

What will the coal emissions be when your Gen III hits $40k? What makes you think ordinary Americans will buy at $40k EV?

NGVs were around long before Tesla, you simply don't have a worldwide perspective. There is no 3-5 year magic deadline because of a company like Tesla. Think of the world. And when you look at the world, what you find out is that other countries: the EU, China, Russia, Singapore, Iran, Brazil etc. are all prioritizing NGVs, not EVs. Why? Because they are affordable and clean and don't rely on coal or oil.
    Jun 13 05:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    David: I don't think you understand my viewpoint. I am not skeptical that EVs can be made. I am not skeptical of the Model-S. What I am skeptical of is the US gov's vehicle energy policy seems to be centered on EVs and I seriously doubt they will be sold in *quantity* enough to significantly reduce foreign oil imports and emissions in a quick enough time frame to actually make a difference. We need to move the needle here. I have heard the EV argument for 5 years now - WHERE ARE THEY?
    Jun 13 05:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment