Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
  • EOG And ConocoPhillips: The Top 2 Eagle Ford Producers [View article]
    Thanks tealone - glad you found the article informative and that you're doing some research before buying. It's funny how many people will really do alot of research before buying a refrigerator or a car (for example), but will spend just as much money (or more) on a stock without doing much at all or just on a tip from a friend.
    May 29, 2013. 06:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • EOG And ConocoPhillips: The Top 2 Eagle Ford Producers [View article]
    Yup, I'll take 4.2% on a company like COP anyday. Plus, I think the waiting is practically over as the stock is starting to move, recently hitting highs. Once Kashagan sells, the majority of asset monetization will be over and organic growth in production and margins will drive COP going forward. Plus, I really like COP's long lived resource base in the Gulf and Canadian oil sands. I do wish I had some EOG though...maybe I'll just jump in @ the market price and take a small starter position.
    May 29, 2013. 04:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • EOG And ConocoPhillips: The Top 2 Eagle Ford Producers [View article]
    Good action thomst04 - I wish I owned some EOG...every time I have set a price target to buy, it just keeps going up! But I do like my COP.
    May 29, 2013. 03:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: The Fastest Growing Transportation Fuel In The U.S. [View article]
    Well, I used to think FSYS was a good investment, but the truth is the earnings are disappointing. The stock chart looks poor too. If the US ever made a big switch to nat gas transportation, and if FSYS sold reliable and affordable home refueling appliances into that market, the company would mint money. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be happening. GTLS or GE may be a better long term choice as both are making money now.

I wish I could be more positive on FSYS. I view NGVs and a home nat gas refueling appliance as symbols of freedom. It amazes me the US is not moving in that direction, but energy policy is crafted by SuperPACs who want to make sure there is no change in the status quo. So, while the EU, China, and Russia move toward nat gas transportation, the country were nat gas is slightly above $4/MMBtu (the U.S.) can't seem to get off the starting block other than CLNE's efforts in long-haul trucking and fleets. We need to get into the ordinary American car & truck market and that is where US policy is failing.
    May 29, 2013. 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget LNG - Exporting Gasoline Is Where The Action Is Now [View article]
    heh heh, priceless
    May 28, 2013. 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget LNG - Exporting Gasoline Is Where The Action Is Now [View article]
    Yup, and when you add in the fact that we have abundant natural gas resources, and it's at what, $4.18/MMBtu, and there is *no* big debate going on to use it for transportation. *Lots* of debate about exporting it though...I mean it is proof positive that energy "policy" is not made for the benefit of the country and its citizens, but against special interest (i.e. SuperPACs) that own our Congressional "representatives" lock-stock-n-barrel.

So this is why I invest in companies that produce oil and gasoline. The vast majority of American consumers have no option but gasoline, so PSX is a great stock to own. Or, you could buy Tesla, which broke $100 today....I wonder when that stock is gonna blow up.
    May 28, 2013. 12:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget LNG - Exporting Gasoline Is Where The Action Is Now [View article]
    Yes, the ethanol mandates, just like "clean coal", the huge subsidies to the solar, battery, and EV makers, is a huge disaster. I wrote an article on the ethanol mandates back in March when the RIN's went over $1:

It is amazing how each party tries to outdo the other in an attempt to lock up votes in the first primary state....
    May 28, 2013. 10:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget LNG - Exporting Gasoline Is Where The Action Is Now [View article]
    ljay0001: Thank you, and yes, ethanol is a big factor in the gasoline market because of the "blend wall". US law mandates increased usage of ethanol every year since the law was enacted and we're now up to 13.8 billion gallons this year. But as you said, demand is falling and according to the Bloomberg article there is a 400 million gallon difference between the mandates and what industry needs. So they must buy the Renewable Identification Numbers (RINs), the price of which has gone from 7 cents a gallon at the beginning of the year to over $1 in March and is now $0.66 (again according to Bloomberg). So that is a huge % when gas is $3.50/gallon. And this is a big incentive for refiners to export gasoline as exports don't fall under the mandate.
    May 28, 2013. 07:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget LNG - Exporting Gasoline Is Where The Action Is Now [View article]
    it may have ethanol in it hotmix, but the ethanol mandates and the expensive Renewable Identification Numbers (RINs) are not required for exported gasoline. Whether or not these refined products are the "bottom of the barrel" is not for me to say, but I would say the US, in general, has much higher standards than do many other countries - especially less developed ones. I think it is safe to say the US gets the higher grades of refined products.
    May 27, 2013. 09:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget LNG - Exporting Gasoline Is Where The Action Is Now [View article]
    Alan...so....a 50/50 chance by 2020...that prediction stayed with me all day....BBQ and beer...didn't matter...kept thinking about it...because I have thought about it in the past. Here's what first made me think about it: a few years back, I kept wondering why in the world the US didn't transition to natural gas transportation to solve so many problems (economic, environmental, national security, health care) that we're faced with. Ran into a prominent Senator and I questioned him about it, and I immediately (almost on queue...) got the "EV and clean coal" speech. When I really question him on it, he scuttled away quickly. So one has to wonder: is it all about freedom and control? Does the US government not want Americans to have the freedom (and mobility...) to refuel at home in our garages with nat gas? This car, the nat gas/electric hybrid that Toyota debuted in 2008:
    I thought would be a game changer. Basically a Prius with the ICE running off nat gas instead of gasoline. A proven solution - small battery pack, affordable, very low emssions...yet Toyota wouldn't even bring it to market. After many calls, a rep for Toyota in California told me (off the record) it was because the gov. "didn't want it". Not lack of refueling option, the gov didn't want it. Why? Is it because the oil and refining SuperPACs control Congress and want to protect their refining margins? Or, in the long run, is it because the gov doesn't want Americans to have the freedom to chose (and to refuel at home) and wants to control their mobility by controlling their gasoline supply? It all makes me wonder if you are not correct: that at some point the gov takes over the oil companies (and their refineries...) and eventually controls the distribution of gasoline. That is why I have always said natural gas transportation is about real freedom. The natural gas home refueling appliance is about the freedom to be able to refuel your vehicle w/o being dependent on gasoline.
    May 27, 2013. 09:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget LNG - Exporting Gasoline Is Where The Action Is Now [View article]
    According to USA today, Apple was the 3rd highest payer of corporate income taxes in 2012 (behind XOM & CVX):

May 27, 2013. 09:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget LNG - Exporting Gasoline Is Where The Action Is Now [View article]
    I can understand some of your points ailnyckyj, but let me give you some things to consider:
    1) the oil companies want Keystone-XL because of the enormous refinery investments they have made to process heavy crude. They (and I...) would prefer to buy cheaper Canadian WCS is than importing Venezuelan or Saudi heavy.
    2) Despite your belief that US consumers are getting screwed, US gasoline prices are not unreasonable compared to many other countries. In fact, only countries that have heavy government subsidies for fuel pay less than does the US.
    3) Just imagine what US gasoline prices would be if the Fed didn't print money out of thin air to "pay" for the US addiction to foreign oil (currently about $1 billion a month).
    4) If US citizens actually paid the true total costs (economic, environmental, healty care, and national security) of gasoline prices would be much higher than they are today.
    May 27, 2013. 09:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget LNG - Exporting Gasoline Is Where The Action Is Now [View article]
    Ohhh doctor! Now see this exchange is why you need to start writing articles again Alan. And I would love to wade into this exchange between you and ailnyckyj, but I am being relied upon to do the BBQ'ing today and I want to do the subject justice with a well thought out comment. However, I will be back..... Meantime...I can't wait to see if anyone else joins in on this thread...
    May 27, 2013. 12:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget LNG - Exporting Gasoline Is Where The Action Is Now [View article]
    Good question Hippy. As always, gasoline demand is affected by the state of the world economy. If Congress ever took action on the ridiculous ethanol mandates, that could also change the equation. The mandates do not apply to gasoline exports, so currently there is a big incentive to export. Lastly, additional refinery capacity in Latin America could create more competition than exists today. That said, the American refinery industry is the most efficient in the world, and low cost natural gas and mid-continent crude will keep them in the lead for many years to come, in my opinion.
    May 27, 2013. 11:17 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget LNG - Exporting Gasoline Is Where The Action Is Now [View article]
    That may be the nicest comment anyone has ever left me. Thank you very much ps677.
    May 27, 2013. 11:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment