Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Environmental Decision: Natural Gas Transportation Or Keystone-XL? [View article]
    temachine: Wow $0.90/gge is awesome. Looking at the CNG station price map:

I'm going to be you are in Oklahoma...
    Apr 15, 2013. 08:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I agree - at this point both should be pursued. As I said, this is not necessarily an either/or decision - I framed the choice in this manner to help crystallize the nature of the problem for environmentalists. Their choice ("clean coal" to power EVs) simply isn't working and is, in fact, wasting billions of $ while still keeping Americans addicted to gasoline. Meanwhile, a proven, economical, and much clean solution exists: natural gas transportation. Unfortunately, many "environmentalists" just don't get it. My hope is they will read the article and reconsider their policy choices.
    Apr 15, 2013. 08:17 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: Transport Or Export? [View article]
    The greenhouse gas argument is looking weaker? It sure seems to me that climatological data shows quite convincingly that the planet is heating up at a quite rapid rate. And that is one big reason why, I believe, we need to replace gasoline and diesel with natural gas in the transportation sector.
    Apr 14, 2013. 04:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • EIA Forecast: Texas Will Beat North Dakota In Crude Oil Production Growth [View article]
    rlp2451: yes, if we go by the chart Williston Basin grows by 57%. Permian + "Western Gulf Basin" will go from 2.07 million to 2.95 million, or 42%. Of course there are other oil production regions in Texas in addition to those two, so the growth rates could be quite similar. Considering the title of the article, I should have pointed out what surprised me about the 2014 forecast:

2.95 million Texas barrels
    1.13 million Williston Basin barrels

That is almost 3x - and that was a surprise to me.
    Apr 13, 2013. 08:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: Transport Or Export? [View article]
    Yup, keeping our nat gas here means more construction, more good jobs, and lower prices for Americans. I sure hope all the LNG export applications are not permitted.
    Apr 13, 2013. 07:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    According to the BLS:

in February the average price comparison was:

gas: $3.748
    milk: $3.480

so you are correct. However, one reason the price of milk is so high (and food prices in general) are the ridiculous ethanol mandates:

In my opinion, milk should be much lower and gasoline much higher. And maybe that would force the US to switch to natural gas transportation - and then you would be paying $1-2 less per gallon to refuel your vehicle.
    Apr 13, 2013. 10:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Atticvs - yes, COP has been doing very well on realized prices in the Eagle Ford and are building a pipeline (it may be completed by now) straight to refinery ally on the Gulf. Eagle Ford crude may not be as high a quality as Bakken, but the other choice for Gulf refiners was Nigerian sweet, and the transport costs make EF a much most cost efficient choice, even if it is priced at a premium to WTI. This is why I like COP so much, their exit EF production last quarter was over 100,000 boe/day.
    Apr 13, 2013. 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, I think Irani is a liability to the company. Although his knowledge about, and his contacts in the Middle East have been an asset in the past, he has probably been the most overpaid exec in an industry with many overpaid execs (check out XOM's CEO T-Rex's compensation despite that stock not going anywhere in 5 years and paying the lowest dividend yield of it's peer group). I think OXY would be much better off to get rid of Irani sell off most of the international business (but not the big gas project which will be completed soon), and focus more on NA assets.
    Apr 13, 2013. 10:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rv3lynn: Yes, there was a big discount for Permian production and I believe this held back OXY. One of the reasons I wrote this article was the chart showing new pipeline capacity in the region. I knew of the projects, but the timelines and total capacity was a bit of a surprise to me - 355,000 of new capacity, most of it in the first half of this year - that's huge and a very good thing for producers in the region going forward.
    Apr 13, 2013. 10:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Phillips 66 Partners' MLP, Part 2: How Existing PSX Shareholders Benefit [View article]
    COP earnings are due out April 25th - should be interesting!
    Apr 12, 2013. 09:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Frade Restart: Positive News For Chevron, Petrobras, And Transocean [View article]
    The case against Chevron in Ecuador continues to fall apart as this Forbes' article relates:

Apr 12, 2013. 09:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am glad nat gas prices are rising as well although once again I'd rather not get bogged down in (yet another) global warming debate with you. You seem to think of nothing else these days.
    Apr 12, 2013. 09:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Perhaps, but after reading both reports I linked to at the beginning of the article, I was impressed with the data, the analysis, and the forecasts. The only thing I might have argued with is their forecast on nat gas prices. Is there anything in particular you disagreed with?
    Apr 12, 2013. 06:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sorry NewPort69 - I don't feel qualified to give an opinion on LGCY.
    Apr 12, 2013. 06:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dear Sir.
    I am not sure I agree with that assessment. The inventory is below the 5 year average, and the dry gas drilling rig count has collapsed. It seems to me the only thing that will push nat gas down significantly would be if shut-in production from the big guys (XOM, COP) comes back online...but that won't happen if prices stay low. Hard to agree with your take that "prices are astronomical right now" when they closed today @ $4.23 MMBtu. That said, they are up over ~120% in the past year.
    Apr 12, 2013. 06:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment