Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Tesla Motors Vs. Clean Energy Fuels [View article]
    I find it interesting you call the electric/natural gas hybrid vehicle non-existent when it does exists. I also find it interesting you did not debate the engine architecture on any substantive level. But I do agree that NGVs are mainly in "other countries". Ford and GM both make NGVs and sell them overseas, but not here. And this is the problem. Folks like yourself have bought into the "EV distraction" (and I am guessing you fell for the "clean coal" distraction too...) as "the solution", when clearly they are not. As far as trying to catch up with Tesla, it appears to me volume wise, even the Toyota Prius creams the Model-S with 2.93 million sales as of March 2013. Tesla is a nitch market that will soon find out there are a limited number of people in the US that can afford it. And, there is always the question of the long-term reliability of those battery packs....

Lastly, if EVs are so great, why are the EU and China prioritizing NGVs? Why are state governments in the US lining up on the NGV bandwagon (for their car fleets, not just trucks)?
    Apr 25 06:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors Vs. Clean Energy Fuels [View article]
    Actually, coal plants are being replaced by natural gas power generation (as the EIA chart in the article clearly shows). There is not much growth in hydro at all since most optimal hydro generation sources have been tapped decades ago. Wrt nat gas being a limited resource, I suppose that may be true but if it is abundant the world over, cheap, and clean, and we may have a few hundred years of worldwide supply, it would take quite a myopic view not to use it!
    Apr 25 06:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors Vs. Clean Energy Fuels [View article]
    Hello spielman: I quizzed Toyota as to why this vehicle was not being made available. After many phone calls, I finally talked to a spokesperson in California who implied the reason the car was not going forward in the US was because the government was not supportive. Can you imagine that? A car that solves all the economic, environmental, and national security problems the US has and the gov wants none of it. Hmmmm. Could it be that SuperPAC control of Congress wants to maintain the status quo (gasoline, oil, coal)? And this is exactly why they are pushing EVs - they know it won't actually fix the problems, but it will maintain the status quo. As for FSYS, I contacted them and TM and suggested they market the two products together so they be bundled when the vehicle was bought and could be financed together. It would be great news for FSYS and its "Phill" product line, and the added volume would likely bring the cost of the home nat gas refueling appliance way down. Any relation to the OSU football player?
    Apr 25 02:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil: Buyback Heavy, Dividend Light [View article]
    As I have said many times, XOM has its shareholder return priorities backwards: dividends directly to shareholders should be at least on par with share buybacks. XOM has a 2:1 ratio in the wrong direction (in 2012: $20 billion in buybacks, $10 billion in dividends).
    Apr 25 12:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Whiting Petroleum: Q1 Production Up 10%, Net Income Down [View article]
    washutoo: yes, I am not surprised the analysts don't question the company on the matter (which so obviously needs to be questioned...). I have noticed on alot of various company conf calls, the analysts seem to just go along with things. Either that, or they expected and fully understand the reasons for these results.
    Apr 25 12:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Whiting Petroleum: Q1 Production Up 10%, Net Income Down [View article]
    Paulus - thanks for those valuation metrics. I think the low valuation is a result of the company not being able to grow earnings while production is moving nicely higher.
    Apr 25 12:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cobalt Energy (CIE +1.8%), which has doubled in value since going public in 2009 but still trades at a substantial discount to the value of its underlying assets, is turning into a takeover target for energy companies attracted to its oil finds from Africa to the Gulf of Mexico, Bloomberg writes. CIE’s assets are "a needle mover" for a large international player, Guggenheim says. [View news story]
    For a review of Cobalt's properties:

Apr 25 10:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Whiting Petroleum: Q1 Production Up 10%, Net Income Down [View article]
    Hello Vasiliy - I think the company has excellent results with the drill bit. They arguably are the #1 producer in the Bakken. If you look at their April presentation:
    they are the #1 producer in North Dakota and are also #1 in terms of 12 month production rates. That said, that performance doesn't seem to fall to the bottom line net income. I have no doubt the company will continue growing production at a nice clip, but will the stock move if the earnings don't? I also think they should replace the employee "production participation plan" with stock options. Then the management and employees' interest would be directly aligned with the shareholders.
    Apr 25 07:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon, Chevron, Conoco: Q1 Earnings Preview [View article]
    Perhaps Forbes will assign someone to follow me for info on COP ;)
    Apr 23 07:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ConocoPhillips: Cashing In On The Eagle Ford Shale [View article]
    Hello gapwedge - it looks like you are building up quite a portfolio of some nice dividend paying energy stocks and deferring the income using your 401K. Sounds smart to me!

I walked the back nine today at my home course. 70 degrees, light breeze, and great to be out even though I only par'd 3/9. Funny though, because twice i needed a gapwedge in the bag. Specifically, I need something between my pitching wedge and my sand wedge...something that will go about 100-105 yards with some bite!
    Apr 23 07:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon, Chevron, Conoco: Q1 Earnings Preview [View article]
    Ari - not 5 minutes after I left my previous comment, CNBC reported that Goldman Sachs announced it had closed its gold short position. Heh heh, must be nice to move the market via the media and then swoop in and buy/sell assets on sale by skiddish investors who don't faith in long-term convictions.
    Apr 23 09:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Phillips 66 Is Oversold: Time To Buy? [View article]
    Thank you jonkevinial. In addition to the spread between Brent and WTI, we also have to look at refined product prices such as RBOB, which has been falling recently. Sorry the link is gone - Bloomberg seems to do that alot - not sure why. They had some great Bakken crude oil price webpages, and they deleted those too. Anyhow, here is an article on crack spreads that you may find interesting:

Apr 20 08:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ConocoPhillips: Cashing In On The Eagle Ford Shale [View article]
    Heh heh - Geaux Tigers! My buddy sent me a picture of a crawfish this year - it was so big it looked like a baby lobster. Sure miss the mud bugs!
    Apr 19 06:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ConocoPhillips: Cashing In On The Eagle Ford Shale [View article]
    Perhaps you are right...that said, after the 2008 experience, as a wise man once said: I am more concerned about a return of my capital than a return on it ;)
    Apr 19 04:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ConocoPhillips: Cashing In On The Eagle Ford Shale [View article]
    You're never going to let me forget HES are you zorro? Still can't believe I held that for 2 years and sold right before the announcements and pop in the stock. Anyhow, thanks for reminding me...grrrr... But I am looking forward to COP's earnings next week and yes, call me greedy, but I do love COP's 4.4% dividend!
    Apr 19 03:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment