Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • New Flyer Industries: Big CNG Bus Contracts And A 19.99% Interest By Marcopolo [View article]
    Well, made in volume, I am not sure a CNG Prius would cost much more than a gasoline Prius. But I would agree the limited fuel availability is a problem, which is why I suggested bundling the home refueling appliance with the car. We need to start somewhere getting on to CNG. China and the EU have both outlined their nat gas transportation strategy in policy papers which they are now working on. What is the U.S. doing other than CLNE? Not much. Both China and the EU are going to build a nat gas refueling infrastructure at strategic locations on their main highways, why isn't the U.S. doing this on the interstate hwy system? Heck, for all the money Obama and Chu wasted on "battery research", Solyndra, the oxymoronic "clean coal", and the EV manufacturers - we'd have it now! No new technology, no new research, just *build it*.
    Feb 15, 2013. 07:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    That's what I can't understand Tom - Toyota came out with this CNG/electric hybrid way back in 2008:

and everyone just yawned. I was like, man that's ***IT***!! That is the car architecture the U.S. needs: basically a Prius that runs on natural gas instead of gasoline.

I am still waiting for everyone else to get excited about it. Mainly the numbskulls in Washington that, from what I understand, persuaded Toyota NOT to introduce the car in the U.S. Can you imagine the game-changer it would be if Toyota shipped that hybrid Camry bundled with a nat gas home refueling appliance made by GE? Lord have mercy, we could clean up the air, reduce foreign oil imports, and reduce the fuel costs of middle class Americans. Now that would be some "GOOD ACTION".
    Feb 15, 2013. 06:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bakken Producers: Will Q4 Earnings Finally Juice Their Stock Prices? [View article]
    ahhh, the luck of the irish! wish i had some EOG :(
    their eagle ford action is unbelievable...did ya'll read about those new wells in gonzales county? oh doctor!
    Feb 14, 2013. 10:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Currency Wars To Feed The Gold Bull [View article]
    Hi Andreas - thx for the link. I can relate to this point. Just in my every day dealings with people, including investment advisers, I find very little interest in gold as an investment, let alone actual participation (note: I am in America). I think the reason for this is that Americans, in general, haven't suffered war and economic conditions as have many other parts of the world. Yet Americans lost roughly 8% of the value of cash they held in bank accounts over the past 10 years. I expect at least that much loss in the next 10 years. So, Americans who don't own gold and/or oil related investments (as I advise they do) will have to be very good investors to keep pace with the Fed devaluing their savings.
    Feb 13, 2013. 04:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Currency Wars To Feed The Gold Bull [View article]
    Yes, I can believe that. After all, if China is pushing to have its currency become a bigger player on the world stage, that will be at the expense of the USD, so perhaps that want to mitigate their USD holdings by plowing them into gold.
    Feb 12, 2013. 08:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Currency Wars To Feed The Gold Bull [View article]
    That is an excellent question ARGE, and the reason I wrote the article "Will Increased US Energy Production Kill the Gold Bull?":

And we need to keep in mind as prolific as the shale oil plays are, they are very capital intensive, with depletion rates in the 60-80% range (in one year). I think the US is making a huge mistake not taking the current opportunity to transition to natural gas for transportation. I mean think about it, despite all the increased US oil production, average gasoline prices in 2012 were the highest ever on record. And today, we are at or near record prices for this time of year. Meanwhile, oil demand in China is beginning to perk up again, and of course we still have nothing but trouble in the ME. I guess what I am saying is I wouldn't trade the farm in for gold, but maybe all or part of the back 40....
    Feb 12, 2013. 05:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Advantage: Chevron Phillips Chemical Company [View article]
    Well, aren't the risks pretty much the same for any deepwater drilling? That said, CVX is no BP. Seven exploration and appraisal wells have been successfully and safely drilled at the Jack/St. Malo fields since 2003. At Big Foot, three exploration and appraisal wells with multiple sidetracks have been drilled safely and successfully in the field to define the structure. So, the risk is safe execution of the projects, and CVX's track record is very good.
    Feb 11, 2013. 06:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Oppenheimer lifts its price target on Phillips 66 (PSX +0.5%) to $80 from $60, expecting PSX's strong performance "to continue longer than many expected." PSX has benefited from a "unique asset mix, strong market fundamentals... and management focus on creating shareholders' value through dividend growth and share buybacks," the firm says in maintaining its Overweight rating. [View news story]
    For those interested, here is today's article on CPChem:

Feb 11, 2013. 03:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Advantage: Chevron Phillips Chemical Company [View article]
    Oppenheimer ups price target for PSX to from $60 to $80:

Feb 11, 2013. 01:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Energy Secretary Chu's Overdue Departure Could Be Bullish For Natural Gas Transportation [View article]
    Alex - well, we have been through this point many times. Last time we discussed this, I thought we had agreed that there is a difference between "oil imports" and "refined exports" and that difference, I thought we had agreed, was the difference between the numbers. Pickens' numbers are correct, and they match the energy depts' number for "oil imports". I have not checked, but I will take your word for it that "petroleum deficit" numbers are correct. But there is absolutely a difference between "oil imports" and the "petroleum" trade balance. That said, obviously shale oil production is making great headway into America's oil problem. No denying that. However, I would also point out that the average price of gasoline was the highest ever in 2012. Obviously, we should not get a false sense of security by shale oil, whose wells typically have a 60-80% (in one year) depletion rate. Now is the time to craft a smart, strategic, long-term comprehensive energy policy. It that policy should have natural gas transportation as its central component.
    Feb 8, 2013. 02:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Well, the science shows the Earth is definitely warming.
    And the science shows the rate of warming is on a rising trend-line. That this warming trend corresponds to huge increased usage of fossil fuels by man is also, imho, undeniable. I don't see how anyone, without a political ideological axe to grind, could look at the data and not come to the logical (and scientific) conclusion that MMGW is real, it is here today, and if the people who first suggested it have made any error, it is that the effects of MMGW have been more severe and occurred much earlier than predicted.

But to answer your question, General Electric (GE).
    Feb 8, 2013. 01:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • StatOil: The NOK Vs. The USD [View article]
    Heh-heh, thank you Mercy!
    Feb 7, 2013. 05:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    EOG led the pack last year, probably due to their bigger exposure to the Eagle Ford which, from what I hear, is substantially more profitable than the Bakken.
    Feb 7, 2013. 04:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • StatOil: The NOK Vs. The USD [View article]
    Hi Pie - thank you for mending the fence with me. You have an excellent knowledge of dividend taxation issues. Perhaps you'll consider writing on article on the subject - I'd sure read it. I do get the Economist and have it opened to the article you referred to and hope to read it tonight. Thanks again for your contributions.
    Feb 7, 2013. 04:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Halcon Resources: Investor Update [View article]
    Don't feel too bad Lang. I got in at $6.25 and considered taking partial profits at $8.20 or so...but I held on only to get spooked later and sold some at $6.50. It's a volatile speculative stock....I am listening to Floyd's presentation yesterday right now:

Feb 7, 2013. 01:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment