Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Pioneer Natural Resources Could Easily Double In 3 Years [View article]
    Lucky you Mike. I've had the same problem with PXD that I have had with EOG...whenever I consider buying, the stock jumps up a few points, I hesitate, and then they just keep going up. After writing this article and looking more closely at the company, I now want some PXD shares for the long-term.
    Oct 14, 2013. 06:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dril-Quip: Management, Fundamentals And Takeover Talk Equal Value [View article]
    Hello Jeff - DRQ is an excellent company with a great future. I own it. One correction: as of their latest presentation, the company has no long-term debt and total liabilities of only $158 million. I believe "billions" was used at some point in the article. Other than that typo, nice job! Looking forward to some great Q3 earnings which should be released around the first week of November.
    Oct 14, 2013. 04:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Government Shutdown Threatens U.S. Dollar World Reserve Currency Status [View article]
    Vooter: reply by #:

1) If your China, Russia, Brazil, India, or Iran - sure the US dollar losing global reserve currency status would be great. For the US, it means higher interest rates on debt, more austerity, an increase in unemployment rates, and a lower standard of living. Also, our foreign oil import bill is likely to skyrocket with a lower US dollar value. Big problem.

2) I never said it was "news" Vooter - I have been writing about these issues for years now. What is news is that the current crisis in DC has led to foreign leaders speaking out even more forcefully on the issue (like the quote above by the Chinese official) and an acceleration of efforts to replace the US dollar. This is not good (if you are an American) and something the idiots in the Republican party that are holding the country hostage at the moment either don't understand or, worse yet, understand but simply value being a thorn in the Obama's side more highly than keeping the US dollar the global reserve currency for as long as possible and be responsible guardians of that role - or at least *trying* to be responsible guardians.

3) I totally disagree with this comment as does ever credible economist and finance minister out there. If a deal doesn't get made, the markets won't like it at all and the economy likely goes back into recession. How do you solve a debt problem when you lower receipts to the government and increase needs for social support? Doesn't work, just makes the problem worse. Where were these Republican debt fanatics when W was president? Everyone knows the issues here, we don't need fanatics in the Republican party to shut down the government to "educate" us. The debt and deficit has been growing exponential since W's first term. But what we need is sane and logical approaches to correcting the problem - not the idiotic hijinx of a handful of people financed by the Heritage Foundation and the Koch brothers. And, I am NOT saying kick the can down the road - again, this is editorializing on your part and an obvious lack of familiarity with my views & past writings. I have been harping about the debt and deficit issues for years and writing about how adopting natural gas transportation is the single best thing the US could do reduce foreign oil imports - and foreign oil imports have been at the root of US financial decline since the 1970's.
    Oct 14, 2013. 02:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Shale Energy: Is The iShares IEO ETF A Good Way To Participate? [View article]
    Hi Casey - I am pretty much in agreement with your list - it's a good mix of large and small companies. I believe the iShares IEO ETF included refiner exposure as an insurance policy just in case WTI weakens again. Indeed, there are now regions in the mid-con where oil is trading at a $2-3 discount to WTI, and of course the Brent/WTI spread has widened recently to the biggest spread since June. So the refiners are certainly beneficiaries of the shale revolution.

I am curious wrt to your list, why no KOG? Debt concerns?
    Oct 14, 2013. 09:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sure enough, today I read a Bloomberg report:

that Liu Chang, a writer with China’s official Xinhua News Agency has called for a new international reserve currency to replace the dollar “so that the international community could permanently stay away from the spillover of the intensifying domestic political turmoil” in the U.S.

Wonderful. And Republicans say they are the party of business??
    Oct 14, 2013. 09:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Palm - well, you suggested XLE instead of IEO. Clearly IEO has outperformed. Also, the goal of this article was to find an ETF best suited to profit off shale energy. XLE's top 2 holdings are Exxon and Chevron. IEO's top holdings are Conoco and EOG. I think that alone is a good indication of which fund is best positioned to cash in on shale exploitation.
    Oct 13, 2013. 08:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Gasoline And Diesel Exports Are Booming And Don't Require Expensive RINs [View article]
    Thanks for your support rv3lynn. And of course you are correct - it's been a pretty futile battle. It's amazing (and difficult to watch...) that the EU, China, and Russia have all passed policies that prioritize natural gas transportation while here in the US, while we have nat gas prices 2-3x cheaper and are still importing millions of barrels of foreign oil every day, that we cannot get off the starting line other than CLNE and some initiatives in fleet markets. But to get all the economic, environmental, and national security benefits of natural gas transportation, it needs to be adopted as a realistic option by the everyday American car & truck market. Hopefully in my lifetime it will.
    Oct 12, 2013. 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    RR: it's easy to capture all the toxic heavy metals from burning coal. The question is, what are they doing with it after they capture it? As we found out with the disaster at Kingston, TN, the cheapest thing to do (and thus what many utilities do do) is to store the stuff in fly-ash ponds. Then it end up in our creeks and rivers and eventually our drinking water and our seafood and our bodies.
    Oct 12, 2013. 10:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Well PalmDesert, over the last 5 years, IEO has outperformed XLE 136% to 97%. That's quite significant in my book.
    Oct 12, 2013. 10:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Denning: Exxon provides a port in Washington's storm [View news story]
    The real question is: when will XOM replace T. Rex?
    Oct 11, 2013. 01:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sorry, TT = TurboTax.
    Oct 11, 2013. 12:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I checked out the XOP ETF:

Both ETFs have performed roughly the same YTD. The big difference I see between the two is that the XOP owns smaller companies and as you said more drillers. Surprised neither EOG, PXD, or COP is in the XOP's top-10. While XOP's expense ratio is a tad lower, I'll stick with my original choice of IEO because I like the refining exposure and, at this stage of the market, the larger dividend paying stocks in the funds top-10. But thanks for making me check it out.
    Oct 11, 2013. 12:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hello gorgo - thank you and yes, I am in COP for the long-term. I bought my first shares in the old Philips Petroleum (symbol "P") back in the 1980's, two splits ago. It was the second stock I ever bought just after the Boone Pickens raid and the greenmail. They increased the dividend to attract investors so I bought.

As for OXY, it has frustrated me in the past as I have been in and out twice. Paul Sankey loves OXY because he thinks a restructuring is going to unleash value. Currently, production interruptions in Libya have probably held the stock back and kept the company from any action wrt spinning those ops off. I haven't been in the MLPs (unfortunately) because of the tax issue. Laziness on my part but I already spend way to much time doing taxes and I am too cheap to have someone do them for me. I have heard TT handles MLPs ok, but nobody I know has actually sold one yet and can confirm TT handles a sale well.
    Oct 11, 2013. 07:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks RR but I can't believe AEP is going to burn 310 tons of coal an hour...ugh! With all the clean and cheap natural gas coming out our ears they're still burning coal. Sigh. There is no such thing as "clean coal", it's an oxymoron if ever there was one.
    Oct 10, 2013. 10:50 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Since Saudi heavy would be pushed out if Canadian heavy could make it to the Gulf Coast, it really makes you wonder - does US energy "policy" care more about its relationship with the House of Saud over our friends to the north? Or does it have more to do with Buffet's ownership of the railroads which transport the oil in lieu of K-XL? Hard to figure...either way, Canadian heavy will get to market in the US, it would just be cheaper via K-XL.
    Oct 10, 2013. 10:42 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment