Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Dril-Quip: Share Buybacks And A Strong Backlog Bode Well For Oil Equipment Firm [View article]
    Thank you Jen - I enjoyed your recent piece on Mexico as well.
    Sep 5, 2014. 09:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ConocoPhillips: A Significant Shift Of Capital Toward High-Margin Development Programs [View article]
    Thanks Sum - I appreciate your readership. Have a great weekend!
    Sep 5, 2014. 06:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • E-Bikes And Tablets: Two More Bullish Catalysts For Undervalued Battery Maker Highpower Technology [View article]
    fairguy - Unfortunately, you are right. And this is particularly true with energy policy. Look at natural gas transportation. Despite the lowest gas prices in the world, the US has completely squandered this advantage by not adopting it in the ordinary American car & truck market. The so-called "Nat gas act" has been stuck in Congress for years now and has spider-webs on it. Contrast that with China who has adopted long-term strategic energy policies a part of which is putting a priority on natural gas legislation. The pollution issue in China is also a priority for China's government (at least it is now...) because it is leading to social unrest, and that is one thing that really gets the gov's attention. So I think EVs in China are going to be adopted at an increasingly growing rate. While they have not been successful in the ordinary consumer market, I think when it comes to city buses, fleets, and other sectors (especially in big cities) where the government can mandate their use, they will be deployed.
    Sep 5, 2014. 06:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Tueffle other than you did not mention IPL in your earlier comment (I meant to say "infrastructure" instead of "IPL"). Anyhow, good question and thanks for taking time to contribute.
    Sep 4, 2014. 11:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Roddy - the ad shown in the article was more of an anecdotal presentation than a serious discussion about price. That battery/price shown is on Aliexpress.com and the price quoted is standalone. I am sure any E-bike manufacturer is going to buy in bulk and is going to beat that price by a long-shot. That said, high quality Li-Ion batteries are not free...and they are worth the price for the size/weight/power they are able to achieve. And this is why you are seeing them in everything from a smartwatch, to a tablet, to an E-bike, to energy storage systems, to large-format batteries for the EV/HEV/PHEV market.
    Sep 4, 2014. 11:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Zealand Oil & Gas: Reap A 7.6% Dividend Yield While You Wait For Stock To Double [View article]
    Yup, pretty much straight up since Jan 1. If you can show me another company that has such clear visibility to such large increases (as a percentage) of overall EBITDA, I'd love to see it.
    Sep 4, 2014. 08:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, I was disappointed in the PRO as well because I did spend quite a bit of time on research. Oh well, maybe next time.

I agree what you said re take-out/investment. I love the no debt, the big margins, and their manufacturing strategy - which I think is perhaps their #1 advantage as that is where the big margins come in. Funny though, nearly every time I write a story about DRQ it has a multiple-point drop day! Hahaha. Gotta work on my timing with this guy ;)
    Sep 4, 2014. 08:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chinese EV Battery Market Just Another Bullish Catalyst For Extremely Undervalued Highpower Technology [View article]
    Ari - OK, you got the last word, I have no more comments for you.
    Sep 4, 2014. 08:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ok - Ari, you got the last word. I have no more comments for you.
    Sep 4, 2014. 08:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi zbignue - I certainly like to see high volume on resistance breakouts. But I remember when I subscribed to Investors Daily back in the 1980's (before they became so political...) and it is very common to see stocks have big volume when big shareholders take a stake and hold the shares. What happens then is that the volume very often does receded as the stock moves higher - and it moves higher with *fewer* overall shareholders - i.e. the market always does what it needs to do to insure the fewest number of people possible get rich....this is was something an old man (in his 70's) told me back in 1984.
    Sep 4, 2014. 07:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great video terrier ... love the discussion about the guy who did his first conversion and decided he needed a 40 Amp-hr battery because he did about 10 miles a day riding to classes from his apt (and back). He said he only had to charge his battery once every week-n-a-half. That's awesome battery life/performance...the problem was, he said, that he wish he had gotten a smaller battery (half the size would have worked fine) because of not only the pure weight of the battery, but also what that weight did to the center-of-gravity (thereby negatively affecting the handling of the bike). Good info.
    Sep 4, 2014. 07:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks terrier - awesome E-bikes video! Thanks for providing the link and taking the time to contribute. I rode an E-bike in a parking lot in Chattanooga and was really impressed with the technology. As you said, the price (at least in the US...) is a hurdle. However, many people in Chattanooga are renting them for a few hours, and then liking the experience and the product so much they are motivated to buy. Very glad to hear you are enjoying yours. I am still riding a road bike (after 30 years), but if I lived in a larger more bike friendly town, I'd consider getting one for, as you say, leisurely rides when I'm riding more for entertainment than for a good workout.
    Sep 4, 2014. 07:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have no idea - the report by Navigant (a highly respected research outfit) says the market is growing at a 14.5% CAGR and is expected to reach 5.7 million vehicles by 2020. If you believe those stats, it's hard to understand why M&M would exit the business unless they simply could not compete. Maybe they weren't using HPJ Li-Ion batteries in their E-bikes and should have been.
    Sep 4, 2014. 07:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hahah, yes, I know from many previous experiences that to keep replying just extends the pain. But sometimes I just can't help myself!
    Sep 4, 2014. 08:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, I have similar experiences and that is just part of being an investor. As they say, "learn and earn". With respect to VET and IPL, I love both these companies and own them in my IRA so that I skirt the foreign taxes on the dividends, as well as to reap tax-advantaged capital gains. IPL is a monster, and VET will be too when Corrib comes on line next year.
    Sep 4, 2014. 08:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment