Michael J. Bernard

View Michael J. Bernard's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Union Pacific: King Of The Iron Highway [View article]
    Hi Michael,

I was confused by that as well (132 Railroads turning into 7) but when I originally read the article it made sense in the way it was worded. I wish I had saved the link, or could remember where I saved it :(

Kind regards,
    mB
    Feb 16, 2015. 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: King Of The Iron Highway [View article]
    I agree that UNP and the RR's in general are a good pick-up on a major downturn.

Thanks,
    mB
    Feb 16, 2015. 10:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Survey Of My Side Of The Oil Patch [View article]
    1.Calculate Future Cash Flow
    Cash flow from operations x Long Term Growth Rate(%)
    =Projected Cash flow in 10 years

2.Discount future cash flow based on a Beta derived discount rate.

3.Add up the Present Value of the Future Cash Flows

Total Present Value Cash Flow :

4.Divide the Total Value of the Company By the Number of Shares
    =IVC

I am experimenting with tweaks to account for different asset types (REITS, others) or those with much lower Beta than normal. As it stands now I don't have the formula written out in such a way as it could be duplicated. When I do have this available I will make a blog post or entire article on it, whichever suits it best. IVC is still a work in process.

mB
    Jan 15, 2015. 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Best Performers, Looking Ahead To 2015 [View article]
    I have long liked KRFT, has been one of my IRA holdings since 2011.

Thanks for the compliments,
    mB
    Jan 7, 2015. 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Aflac: Undervalued By All Measures [View article]
    I really like the mPEG and will continue highlighting it.
    Dec 30, 2014. 06:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Aflac: Undervalued By All Measures [View article]
    Hi Linkdonald,

I could not find specifics on this--here is a quote from Teresa White from the above linked conference call in regards to the impact of ACA: "Our opportunity is still a great opportunity from an Aflac perspective and so I think our strategic focus of the market and the less than 100 market to focus our field force there and then grow the broker side of the market. I think our strategy is a win-win strategy go forward. So I feel good about that."

Unlike the mentioned new products and expanded distributor in Japan, I did not find this info for the US.

Kind regards,

Michael
    Dec 30, 2014. 11:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • When Will Seadrill Ltd. Reinstate Its Dividend? [View article]
    My expectation, based on FRO and the likelihood of free-cash-flow being put toward asset purchases rather than strictly debt servicing=Never. JF likes to buy ships. The share price of FRO concerns him not. Why should SDRL?
    Dec 26, 2014. 03:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Helpful Post-Mortem On Seadrill [View article]
    My reply ("JF") was to the question "...who is going to order a new rig at the current oil price?" In a very FRO related way
    Dec 16, 2014. 02:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Helpful Post-Mortem On Seadrill [View article]
    JF
    Dec 16, 2014. 01:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill At Imminent Risk Of Bankruptcy... Really? [View article]
    I read through most of the comments but skipped down to post this so sorry if I am rehashing something someone already said:

JF said that potentially the retained cash could be used for further asset purchases. I cannot find the exact quote/article, but as soon as I read that I was reminded of the article comparing the plight of FRO to the future fortunes of SDRL, and shivered.

Taking that comparison to the fullest extension would suggest that the dividend is never coming back and the retained earnings will be directed towards debt-financing and asset purchases ad-infinum. As a reminder FRO is trading at sub $2 right now and this does not seem to bother JF in the least.

I am very concerned about SDRL and would whole-heartedly warn all LONGS to evaluate their holding very very carefully. $0 is much closer to $11 than $11 is to $40.
    Dec 16, 2014. 01:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Evaluating My SeaDrill Limited Holdings [View article]
    I exited SDRL due to cashflow need mid-August. Still watching carefully but it has not been pretty. Will get back around to another commentary on it soon.
    Dec 14, 2014. 01:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Kayne Anderson The Best MLP Play Right Now? [View article]
    Agreed PapaOne
    Oct 9, 2014. 12:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seeking Alpha Hedge Fund: Crowdsourcing Opportunity [View article]
    Thanks for clarifying!
    Oct 9, 2014. 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seeking Alpha Hedge Fund: Crowdsourcing Opportunity [View article]
    Hi George Acs,

I may not be understanding the last sentence of your comment correctly. Are you saying the author has written 85 articles about one stock (HLF) in a year, or that because they have written 85 in that time total that might skew the algorithm?

Thanks in advance,
    mB
    Sep 28, 2014. 06:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Autobytel Is A Takeover Target In A Consolidating Industry [View article]
    Terrific read and idea Dr. Akston. I definitely see the possibility on this one.
    Sep 28, 2014. 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment