Michael J. Ray

View Michael J. Ray's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Covered Calls: Mandatory Option Trading Techniques for the Income Investor [View article]
    retailinvestor

I use covered calls quite a bit and I don't lose half of the gains. It probably depends on what broker one is using. I use an online broker who charges $12.95 per option trade. So selling 10 calls at 1.25 would net me $1,237.05 ($1,250 - $12.95). If one is using a full service broker then yes they will rake you over the coals with commissions and eat most of your gains.
    Jul 19, 2011. 10:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Create an Aggressive Income Portfolio (Part 2) [View article]
    Announced distributions for the first quarter of 2011 exceed distributions in the previous and year-ago quarters due to higher net earnings allocable to common units and a one-time working capital benefit associated with implementing the previously announced new operating agreement with CF Industries. So will TNH be able to pull off the same distribution next quarter is yet to be seen. Odds are probably not but we shall see. Either way this holdings is currently generating a competitive yield with awesome price appreciation to boot.

Cash distributions depend on earnings, which can be affected by nitrogen fertilizer selling prices, natural gas costs, seasonal demand, production levels and weather, as well as cash requirements for working capital needs and capital expenditures. Cash distributions per limited partnership unit also vary based on increasing amounts allocable to the General Partner when cumulative distributions exceed targeted levels.
    Jul 18, 2011. 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • mREITs: Protect Your Investments if Debt Ceiling Unresolved [View article]
    Great article and very timely. Thanks for posting.
    Jul 15, 2011. 02:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Create an Aggressive Income Portfolio (Part 2) [View article]
    LaChic

SFL was a spinoff from Frontline (FRO) whose Chairman, CEO, and President is John Fredriksen. For Seadrill, John Fredriksen has served as Chairman of the Board, President and a director of the Company since its inception in May 2005. Mr. Fredriksen has established trusts for the benefit of his immediate family which control Hemen, our largest shareholder. My bet is that he and his board keep lots of business within the family of companies so to speak. This is a high level view as I have not dug into the specific operations of SDRL to see if they any capacity to take on new projects or how many of their rigs are idle.

Concerning NMM, I do not believe they withhold taxes from US residents like they do in in the Canadian Trusts for example. They do business in lots of places so I'm not saying there is no foreign taxes but I dont believe you get the 15% haircut like you find in other foreign income investments.
    Jul 15, 2011. 01:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Create an Aggressive Income Portfolio (Part 2) [View article]
    LaChic,

Shares just started trading in April of 2011. They have yet to make their 1st distribution but have stated that it is planned by August 15, 2011. If you are looking at the stock on any of the financial boards like Yahoo or Google I am sure they will show zero dividends as the first has yet to happen.
    Jul 15, 2011. 10:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hunting for the Next Dendreon [View article]
    Seeking Alpha does not let us write on penny stocks. I agree with you entirely but am unable to do much as the articles will not get published. Once ACTC goes over $1 a share then expect lots more from me.
    Jul 13, 2011. 01:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Create an Aggressive Income Portfolio (Part 1) [View article]
    poultry/All

This article is just really just part 1 of a 2 part series. The article got so long that it was better to just have 2-3 articles instead of overwhelming the readers in 1. I am hoping to release the next article soon that will have lots more ideas including preferreds, reits, munis, and lots more for those interested. Just FYI
    Thanks
    Jul 7, 2011. 03:25 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Create an Aggressive Income Portfolio (Part 1) [View article]
    rkam

Thanks for reading. Usually American trusts will have a limited life based upon a set date or some other criteria. The Canadian Trust are different in that they operate more like a corporation. After the Halloween Massacre by the Canadian Govt for more tax dollars, most of the Canadian Trusts turned into regular corporations. ERF did its conversion to a corporation on January 1, 2011, after receiving overwhelming approval by 98.5% of unitholders. With their capital expenditures my bet is that their reserve life is higher than the 10.7 years. Enerplus acquired over $1 billion of prospective land in 2010 representing almost 300,000 net acres in key resource plays in North America that offer superior economic returns. As a result of these acquisitions, Enerplus now holds the following significant land positions in key resource plays:

Marcellus – 130,000 net non-operated acres and ~70,000 net operated acres in Pennsylvania, Maryland and West Virginia

Bakken – 75,000 net acres at Fort Berthold in North Dakota and 155,000 net acres in southeast Saskatchewan

Deep Basin – 80,000 net acres in Alberta and British Columbia that is prospective for the Montney and Mannville
    Jul 5, 2011. 05:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dawn of Stem Cell Medicine With Geron and Advanced Cell Technology [View article]
    The pirate sign is there to remind me to be quick and nibble. I was a long term, buy and hold guy at one time and lost lots of cash that way. On the speculative biotech one needs to be on the ball and ready to move at a moments notice. Take the loot and move out if need be. Hence a reminder for me to not return to my old ways.
    Jun 21, 2011. 06:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia and Apple Demonstrate the Importance of Downside Protection [View article]
    Just an FYI. The original title of the article was "Importance of Downside Protection" and does not focus on Apple or NOK. The editors made the title change and released it. I'm sorry for any confusion if the title was misleading. I did not have any input in its selection.
    Thanks
    Jun 13, 2011. 12:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Great Canadian Income Investments You Never Heard Of [View article]
    Management recently announced a plan to convert to a corporation
    that will leave the current dividend rate intact. That conversion does tend to make people nervous. Time will tell but the business seems to be doing fine.
    Jun 13, 2011. 12:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BioCryst Pharmaceuticals Gears Up for a New Round of Swine Flu [View article]
    The number of patients treated was small in the last go around as one could not just stock the product on the shelves for use. One had to go thru a pretty detailed process to get hold of the stuff.

My thesis is not to buy shares in hopes of a flu panics, but I found it interesting that Permivir was once again thrust into the limelight. You are right though that it was a great short last time. Part of the problem was that BCRX got caught up in a stock newsletter where it was touted as being part of a formula where investors were going to make a million dollars via a series of trades. That type hype + the flu scare drove the price way to high and it imploded. Let's see what happens this time. Thanks for reading.
    Jun 12, 2011. 11:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Keryx Biopharmaceuticals vs. AEterna Zentaris [View article]
    Jason, thanks for pointing that out. I actually do have both but for some reason the submission package for the article did not pick it up. I'll see if I can get the editors change it. Thanks.
    Jun 9, 2011. 02:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Keryx Biopharmaceuticals vs. AEterna Zentaris [View article]
    bigbork80

Thanks for the comment. Although a bit harsh, I welcome what others have to say either good or bad. If perifisone was the only product for both companies and they existed in a perfect vacuum then I would agree. But this is not the case here. Both companies have other drugs in the pipeline, different cash burn rates, and very different business structures. Saying which will do better if perifisone passes would just be a guess that could not be backed up by any hard facts as there are too many other variables to consider. My point is if you want to invest in perifosine then you invest in both companies.
    Jun 9, 2011. 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 ETFs to Profit From Agriculture [View article]
    Adam, Thanks for the comment. I was unable to write on all the great names in the ag sector out there as I get limited space. I am sure there are several others out there that fit the bill like CROP. Comments like yours are great as they open up more ideas for all to see. Keep them coming.
    Thanks