Michael J. Ray

View Michael J. Ray's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My 10 Favorite, Must-Own Dividend Stocks (Part 1 of 2) [View article]
    A great list Todd. Thanks for the article.
    Aug 11 10:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Used Today's Market to Build Income and Preserve Capital [View article]
    Todd,

Great article. Thanks
    Aug 8 05:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Increasing SeaDrill's Yield Using Options [View article]
    Very Nice Power Hedge
    Aug 8 12:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Protect Your Income Investments Using a Collar [View article]
    Sanitychecker

Thanks for the comment.
    Aug 8 11:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rising Interest Rates Are on the Way. Here's How to Protect Your Portfolio [View article]
    Five Plus Investor,

Very good article. Lots of thought put into it. Keep up the good work.
    Arrrrr
    Aug 5 06:57 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Options? [View article]
    saywhat1015,

Thanks for the comment. I understand what you are saying but with the KERX reference I was trying to introduce the basic concepts of puts and their use. I think the problem here is the title I was given. The title "Why Options?" was not my original title. It was changed to that by the editor and I have no control over what they decide to use. The original intent was solely highlight long puts, therefore the use of calls was not introduced as it did not apply. I hope this helps.
    Aug 5 01:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Options? [View article]
    tornillo57

Drys price of $3.00 per share now trades more like a call on the future of the global economy rather than a stock. George has never been friendly to stockholders. The whole company really has been terrible, but if the global economy ever gets back on track DRYS will one again have its day in the sun. I am treating my shares like long calls or leaps with no expiration. Needless to say I an not holding a large number of shares.
    Aug 5 01:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Options? [View article]
    VS

I think your point is valid to a certain degree but having sold a covered call on the recent DNDN example would not have any material impact. Sure you would have kept the premium you sold but it would in no way cover the massive loss of value that happened after-hours. Thanks for your comment by the way.
    Aug 4 12:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Biotech's Wild Ride for the Second Half of 2011 [View article]
    And the wild ride continues as DNDN is being destroyed after hours as they missed badly. It will be interesting to see where they open in the morning.
    Aug 3 07:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Biotech's Wild Ride for the Second Half of 2011 [View article]
    To those who follow MAPP. The PDUFA date is 3/26/2012 and was submitted as such. My bet is the editor thought to change it as the article focused mainly on 2011. Sorry for any confusion this might have caused.
    Aug 3 05:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Covered Calls: Mandatory Option Trading Techniques for the Income Investor [View article]
    Alull314

I was trying to suggest that the investor would probably not want to take the ride all the way down to the $20 mark. To exit the position you would need to buy back the calls, which will be for much less than you sold them for, before you sell the stock. You could just sell the stock but that would put you into a naked short position on your calls which I would never recommend for a new option trader.
    Aug 2 03:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Top Quality Energy Holdings for Income Investors [View article]
    Jim.

Try this link to the prospectus. Page 93 talks of the tax for the partnership and see page 111 on the Oklahoma tax consequences.

www.rjcapitalmarkets.c...
    Aug 1 05:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Top Quality Energy Holdings for Income Investors [View article]
    Power Hedge

Thanks for the response. I tried to write the article with much more detail. I sometimes get frustrated with articles that just provide lists with no real substance.
    Jul 28 11:51 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Global ETFs and CEFs: An Income Investor's Hunt for Yield [View article]
    uras,

Thanks for the comment. Here is a link to their distribution history table that might answer some of your questions. Distributions are done twice a year so I assume this plays havoc in yield calculations that are automated. Built into the distribution is usually a short or long term capital gain so that might not figure in as well. Take a look at the history table. Also once there, they have a pretty good site as opposed to other CEF's I have seen.

www.swz.com/content.cf...
    Jul 25 02:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Selling Puts: Mandatory Option Trading Techniques for the Income Investor [View article]
    Panamabob

Oh yes. I see it now and yes you are correct. I do know the difference between bid and ask and typed the wrong amount by mistake. Thanks for catching this. Just so you know I trade puts on a monthly basis and do pretty good at it. I also do covered calls, butterflies, condors, and put/call spreads so I'm not a newbie. I look forward to sharing more ideas with you on future trades. Thanks
    Jul 24 12:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment