Michaël Niessen

View Michaël Niessen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Nokia Lumia Is A Threat To Apple [View article]
    "It is just not the same to have a Nokia Lumia or a Microsoft Lumia, even if the only real difference between the devices will be the missing "Nokia" label."

That's exactly why Apple is still so successful, despite the competetion now offering better and cheaper phones. Many people buy an iPhone just because it's Apple, even though they could get a much better deal with a Lumia.

Unless the products offer exactly the same value, I don't buy based on the brand. My next phone will likely be a Lumia (if they keep being so good), I don't care whether it's from Microsoft or Nokia.
    Oct 31, 2013. 10:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Needs To Use Its Money Wisely [View article]
    No, I don't follow his blog (I didn't know about it), but I'll definitely take a look at it. Thanks for the tip!
    Oct 23, 2013. 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Needs To Use Its Money Wisely [View article]
    ...and French government, that like to get involved in business instead of limiting itself to politics.
    Oct 23, 2013. 12:09 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Needs To Use Its Money Wisely [View article]
    Yes, as soon as the devices sale is finalized, they should unleash hordes of lawyers against anyone who uses their patents freely, without fear of counter lawsuits.
    Oct 23, 2013. 12:06 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Needs To Use Its Money Wisely [View article]
    I think reinstating a dividend would be a good thing even to those who lost their shirt over the last decade. But giving a big special dividend, while welcomed by everyone, would be a disservice in the long term. I don't mind getting just a small dividend now, if Nokia keeps enough money to be flexible in the future and develop new products or even, as some would like to, reenter the smart phone market at some point.
    Oct 23, 2013. 11:57 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Needs To Use Its Money Wisely [View article]
    I agree that Nokia shouldn't offer any "special" dividend, which would attract many short-term traders instead of long-term investors. But reinstating its dividend as it was until this year or a percentage of profits would definitely be a good idea.
    Oct 23, 2013. 11:53 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Nokia Shareholders Approve The Acquisition? [View article]
    Hi OldWarrior,

It's Alt+0128
    Sep 23, 2013. 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Is Now Fully Valued [View article]
    Maybe because having NOK in the title attracts a lot of PV's...
    Sep 18, 2013. 03:13 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: Up 40%, Another 35% More To Come To Shareholders [View article]
    Let's not forget that dividends will probably come back. It will attract institutional investors once again.

One can only hope this isn't a done deal, but rather the first step in a bidding war that will see much higher return for Nokia shareholders, as some have mentioned.
    Sep 3, 2013. 01:22 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Initial Thoughts On The End Of Nokia As We Know It [View article]
    First of all, thanks for the great article. Yours were always amongst the most interesting articles about Nokia.

I also have kind of bittersweet feelings, as I am long NOK and really think the Lumia line was going to drive the stock way higher in the next few years.

While it's true that some hardcore Nokia fans do not really feel like buying a "Microsoft Nokia" phone, there are also probably many more that wouldn't have bought a "just Nokia" phone, because the future was so incertain and they don't want to buy something from a dying company. Keep in mind that people following Nokia closely is just a very, very small fraction of the population. Most people see Nokia as a has-been, not as a company with tremendous potential.

No matter how well Lumia's sell before year end, assuming that it would have kept growing long-term is just speculation. Would they eventually reach critical mass? Could they keep innovating fast enough? Could they keep financing that division? Considering Elop was already considered by many to be a candidate as Microsoft CEO, even without the Nokia sale, there no way to predict how things would have turned out...

I'll probably sell part of my Nokia shares to lock some profit, but will hang on to the rest, at least in the short to medium term. While the (potential) benefits of the phone division is gone, they still have NSN and their huge patents portfolio, and obviously HERE, which has an uncertain future but is a smaller part. And dividend may soon be coming back, also. So the new Nokia will certainly be a leaner and meaner company.

I'm also long MSFT, which indeed has a possibly bright future with the Lumia line. Does their expectation for phone mean that Nokia shouldn't have sold? Not necessarily, because of what I mentionned above and also because Microsoft has more than enough cash to heavily market phone, which they will likely do much more than when they were simply partners with Nokia. They also will have the ability to spend a lot more on R&D and release new models faster than ever. This is especially true if Elop becomes the next CEO. What he started with Nokia, he can continue with Microsoft.

I knew that my next phone would be a Nokia, but not only because of the underlying story of a company that pulled itself together. I happen to like the idea of having a Windows Phone that I can synchronize easily with my laptop, or a phone that is also a more than decent point-and-shoot camera and a GPS with offline maps (I don't want to pay for data everytime I check a map; and what about when you're in an area with no access to 3G/4G?). Why buy everything separately when you can have the same (and more) in a single package?
    So, unless Microsoft screws up big time, I will no doubt buy a "Microsoft Nokia".
    Sep 3, 2013. 12:15 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: Sell Side Bears Don't Play Fair [View article]
    Exactly, anyone looking to invest has to do their own homework.

I don't mind if the shares are maintained a low prices because (or thanks to) bearish articles, it's give opportunities to accumulate a cheap prices. The stock will go up anyway when the figures prove that Nokia's turnaround is working.
    Aug 28, 2013. 12:25 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eurozone: Is It Too Late? [View article]
    Thank for your feedback, Robert. I'll take it into account for my next article on the Eurozone. As for the debt levels, there is some info about them in my previous article, namely debt-to-GDP ratios.
    Aug 20, 2013. 03:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eurozone: Is It Too Late? [View article]
    That's why it's always worth taking statistics with a grain of salt, especially when they appear to be too good to be true.
    Aug 20, 2013. 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eurozone: Be Ready For The Fall [View article]
    Thank you, Sarfaraz!
    I hope to be able to start writing country reviews for the Eurozone soon, and then for the rest of the EU. It probably will take some time, but I'll eventually get to research Poland in depth and share that with you.
    Aug 15, 2013. 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eurozone: Be Ready For The Fall [View article]
    Many economists do consider 120% the maximum sustainable, based on the reasoning that the growth is insufficient to repay the debt.

According to the ECB, back in April 2012:
    - "To limit risks to debt sustainability in the euro area, government debt-to-GDP ratios should be brought to levels safely below 60%." (maximum debt-to-GDP of 60% is in fact one of the criteria to enter the Eurozone).
    - "For 2011, debt ratios in Greece, Italy, Ireland and Portugal are estimated to have reached very high levels, i.e. at around 100% of GDP or above." Of course, those countries would be happy if they were back at 100%.

In any case, this is does not mean that it's over for a country when they reach 120% (or 100% or whatever other limit), while there's no problem for all countries that are below.

The situation is quite different now than it was at the end of the Napoleonic wars, so I wouldn't think it's fine to ignore the high debt-to-GDP because we'll be saved by something equivalent to the industrial revolution. Unfortunately, I cannot see any coming, world-changing "revolutions" in my crystal ball ;)
    Aug 13, 2013. 04:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment