Michael Tsangaris

View Michael Tsangaris' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Speculations On BlackBerry Make It Hard To Breathe: Time For A 6-K Reality Check [View article]
    Good article Tom as it takes a dive into SEC filings. While BBRY won the award by the DoD, with regards to Washington they are losing market share. A survey conducted by the National Journal (note: dated 2012) found that the number of Capitol Hill staffers using a BB dropped to 77%, from 93% in 2009. The US federal agency meanwhile bought iPhones for over 17,000 employees as it said the Blackberry "can no longer meet the mobile technology needs of the agency." Further evidence of penetrating Blackberry's contracts with the government is that Samsung is near to closing deals with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Navy according to a WSJ article. It appears therefore that despite Blackberry having the biggest market share with the DoD, as technology develops, and data needs from a smartphone increase, the two heavyweights continue to develop their products, these will negatively impact Research in Motion's market penetration for this division.
    Sep 1 12:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bears Signal A Coming Correction [View article]
    Yes, you answered my question. That's a good strategy for diversifying geographically in terms markets which are strengthening.
    Jun 10 01:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bears Signal A Coming Correction [View article]
    Thanks happyshorter. I guess it seems I took the middle ground as I look at individual stocks and when the markets take a downturn, that creates a buying opportunity but anything but a perfect one as it is difficult to time the markets. Additionally, I am making points that some might not have thought of.

I have not thought of investing in Japan or Germany. Are you referring to ADRs, stocks with business segments heavily reliant to those countries or traded in those countries? Please tell me more of how you would approach that.
    Jun 10 08:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bears Signal A Coming Correction [View article]
    I appreciate the praise. As mentioned it is a complicated subject so of course misses areas which affect the markets/economy. I think you are doing the right thing at the moment whereby you are waiting for a pullback if you do not see good opportunities around. I do not like being "all in" or "all out" but instead having a higher % invested with cash ready to be deployed if opportunities arise.
    Jun 10 07:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bears Signal A Coming Correction [View article]
    That was the purpose of it so I'm glad and thanks again for sharing.
    Jun 10 07:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Apple Such A Lousy Business? Mr. Market Wrongfully Thinks So [View article]
    Good to see people are thoughtful about Apple breaking into China. Gives a balance to those who think it is "mispriced" and I am one of them. Gregory makes simple assumptions to prove his point and it is a good one at that! Price to free cash flow is around 6 so it's priced for earnings contraction and this is unreasonable.

Reasons I'm a fan: pays a dividend and as dividend increases over coming years this would increase your yield on cost (unless you bought at $700), growth can come from introduction of low-cost/ different sized iPhones, iTV and rumoured iWatch. I am not saying these will add to EPS growth over and above the 5% assumed by Gregory's model but instead support it.
    Apr 17 05:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Long-Term Play On Student Housing [View article]
    I came across this and thought I would share. It's a presentation from the NY Fed about the student loan market and contains figures with the expected trends however no real conclusions are stated.

Household Debt and Credit: Student Debt: http://bit.ly/XhPROC
    Apr 5 10:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Long-Term Play On Student Housing [View article]
    Thanks for letting me know Sathish. Glad the research came to use and that I could help
    Apr 5 03:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Long-Term Play On Student Housing [View article]
    Hi Leesero,
    Thank you for the praise and as I am sure you are aware, starting from an early age is important.
    Onto your point, I have not researched into it however the common sentiment from what I hear is on the side of your view. The million dollar question of course is when does the huge shift happen as of course MOOCs have not gained enough traction yet to disrupt the industry completely and people with college degrees are at all time high in the U.S. so you could either stay on the sidelines if that's what helps you sleep at night or beware of the loan "bubble" and invest in the meantime.
    Apr 4 01:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Long-Term Play On Student Housing [View article]
    That's true. That's why included research of their valuations even if it is a few ratios. As you say they are over valued as P/FFO for CCG is 55, EdR 26 and ACC 1.83 book however I'm bullish and a correction could warrant a small investment in one of them.
    Apr 4 01:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America Profits Point To Dividend Growth [View article]
    BAC derive around 35% of their revenues by the Consumer & Business Banking segment and saw their net interest income decrease $2.3 billion to $19.1b and one reason was due "compressed deposit spreads" as a result of the continued low rate environment.

60% of WFC's revenue is generated by their Community Banking segment which is one of three reported segments as opposed to BAC which have six therefore WFC define community banking much more broadly. They also cite the low interest rate environment as creating pressures.

NII should rise with rates so you have a point because WFC is well run and BAC probably goes higher
    Mar 21 04:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Analyzing Real Estate Investment Trusts: Mall REITs [View article]
    Definitely best of breed but dwarfs the rest of the group
    Sep 7 01:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Analyzing Real Estate Investment Trusts: Mall REITs [View article]
    Thanks for pointing that out. It would have probably been better to put it that way. This post is for idea generation and whilst GGP is not the strongest here at the time being, I included it as it is better than other retail REITs.
    Sep 6 08:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Market Is Saying Buy This Stock Now [View article]
    brilliant article and strategy for playing coal and hedging the position! I'm assuming the following quote from your article is an assumption: "Demand may increase throughout the rest of the year as the government approves infrastructure projects in an attempt to reignite economic growth". If not do you have any sources as I found slightly contrary data towards this: China is going to cap its demand in an attempt to cut air pollution (http://bloom.bg/SDjA0f)
    Jul 16 07:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PNC Financial Services Our Play Of Choice Among 5 Interesting Candidates [View article]
    I agree with TAS. Brilliant article especially the reasons to be bullish however the key ratios and competitors ratios drags on too much. I always look out for your articles as they focus on dividend and financials and cover those two categories very well however, cutting back on the metrics would make a large difference.
    May 10 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment