Microcap Speculator

View Microcap Speculator's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Healthwarehouse.com: Why I am Shorting This Money-Losing Stock [View article]
    @tbganesha: in what sense? HealthWarehouse shares are roughly where they were at the time of the post. Not a success (yet) but certainly not triggering covering.
    Apr 20, 2011. 11:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Healthwarehouse.com: Why I am Shorting This Money-Losing Stock [View article]
    @nouser: as I read it HEWA did not switch to a pink sheets listing, but rather to OTCQB. OTCQB is an alternate platform that I view as roughly equivalent to OTCBB, but it is run by OTC Markets (the same folks who own pink sheets)
    Mar 11, 2011. 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Star Scientific Just Announced They Cured Alzheimer's Disease and Nobody Cares [View article]
    James,
    Great article, and nice spot on CIGX. Two questions:
    1. do you think the downplaying of results was intended to keep the price low for the CEO purchase? Obviously the results had to be disclosed before the PP closed, or there would be an insider trading problem. But, if the press release had your headline he would have paid a much higher price. He also got a very generous price on the warrants (0.125 for 5 yr. at-the-money on a high volatility microcap). These are minor negatives. Overall, I agree that the CEO's participation in the PP is a significant and positive development.
    2. what do you see as the endgame for CIGX with this product? Licensing/royalties to a nutraceutical distributor like Herbalife? Sales to an actual pharma co? Or sale of the entire technology or company?
    disclosure: no position but intrigued
    Mar 11, 2011. 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Microcap Basket Trade Update [View article]
    @saul: on Dec 28 before the first capital raise was announced CBEH traded at $7.40. $7 was definitely below market, even before considering the cost of included warrants. In my view the company has not explained why this was necessary for its expansion, considering that it already had almost $80M on the books: www.sec.gov/Archives/e...
    Feb 21, 2011. 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Microcap Basket Trade Update [View article]
    @China Expert: good info - all reasons why I am long BSPM
    @best: thanks for your comment. agree CBP has a checkered past - do you think this is not discounted at this point? I do not trust though -- I'll keep this one on a short leash.
    @Tom: this is part 1 of 4 of a massive update which was clear on my website but edited out of SA. NUIN I never owned but WKBT I bought Dec 2010, sold in Jan 2011 for a nice profit, and repurchased last week. It will be in part 4 of the update.
    Feb 21, 2011. 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Small Stocks That Could See a Boost From Apple’s iPad [View article]
    @Griff9k: never meant that thestreet.com was a play on AAPL. TSCM could have done great things on the iPad and taken advantage of the popularity of that platform, but they blew the opportunity.
    Feb 14, 2011. 11:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China Media Express Legitimate? [View article]
    great reference. thanks Joe
    Feb 4, 2011. 12:46 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China Redstone Group Legitimate? [View article]
    @Joenatural, maciasi: good points...and all the more reason I like the risk-reward here. I'm continuing to accumulate.
    Feb 4, 2011. 09:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gaming the Mobile App Microcaps: Sold Glu Mobile, Bought Artificial Life [View article]
    Mario, agree the deals stink. They are not really funding anything in my view but avoiding writing off bad debt by calling it an exchange of shares. ALIF was a bad trade on my part and I put in sell orders when the technical picture discussed in the article broke down.
    Jan 9, 2011. 10:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Macro Call of the Year: Buy Chinese Micro Caps [View article]
    @LEGaLiZeIT: a fair criticism re ALIF. I'm sure you agree that a software company should have large intangible assets. After all, it sells intellectual property (software) not cars or washing machines. The receivables are more disconcerting and bear watching -- as I have repeatedly stated in other articles and comments. That said I put ALIF in the same group as most of the rest...risky, with a decent chance of paying off big and a not insignificant chance of burning investors. That's why I am using a basket.
    Dec 23, 2010. 10:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @mario: thanks for your comment.

I agree that both the size of the receivables and the increase in share count are potential red flags and should be watched. However, I don't see that the shares are being used as a receivable funding mechanism. First, the dollars received over the past nine months from share sales is less than 4M, or roughly 1/4 the receivables increase. Second, as big as the increase in receivables was, according to the company's cash flow statement in the 10-Q that increase was covered by operating cash flow:

edgar.sec.gov/Archives...

Still, its something that shareholders need to keep an eye on. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Dec 17, 2010. 01:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quepasa Is Young, Not Overvalued: Pullback Presents Buy Opportunity [View article]
    Mark,

You raise some good points, and I find the Party Gaming comparison especially interesting. However, I note that according to its investor page, Party Gaming trades at about 3.2x revenues, with a fat profit margin: www.partygaming.com/pr.... If Quepasa can post a half billion dollars in non-related party revenues like Party Gaming it might merit a similar valuation.

The million-dollar question: How do you see that happening? As I read the financials of Quepasa -- a decade old company, an octogenarian in internet years -- the company has virtually zero non-related party revenues.

One last point -- isn't the downside on a $10 stock closer to $10? I don't see a cash cushion or other reason to support a $5 floor if the company is unable to monetize its growing membership. A drop from more than $10 to well below $1 has already happened once before in Quepasa: bigcharts.marketwatch..... I don't think that happens now, but history prohibits us from declaring it impossible.

I appreciate the measured debate. Stay interactive.
    Dec 10, 2010. 02:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Quepasa Is No Facebook [View article]
    @stocktrader7777: its a myth that otcbb shares cannot be shorted. Your broker may not permit, but many do.
    Dec 7, 2010. 04:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quepasa Is No Facebook [View article]
    I would pay $100 to see you two in a cage match.
    Dec 7, 2010. 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quepasa Is No Facebook [View article]
    @empire: How do you see your "brand loyalty" thesis evident in quepasa? If members were brand loyal, for the cultural reasons you discuss or otherwise, wouldn't you expect the average member to visit more than once per month? I don't see evidence of brand loyalty in the reported statistics.
    Dec 6, 2010. 11:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment