Mike Maher

View Mike Maher's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Cabot, Antero, And Others Benefit As Appalachian Basis Differentials Disappear [View article]
    Lower natural gas prices should push down electricity prices since natural gas is the marginal fuel, so how it benefits or hurts the power producers will be very fleet specific. However, I wouldn't want to be funding the construction of nuclear baseload in the southeast like some companies are.
    Jul 23, 2015. 09:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon -2.4% after Q2 revenues miss expectations [View news story]
    It'll be interesting to hear what they say about new video services and how quickly they can integrate AOL into the fold. I thought the Q looked fine, FIOS growth is impressive, but still a small part of the overall company
    Jul 21, 2015. 09:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chesapeake Energy bond payout raised to $438.7M [View news story]
    What is the long thesis for CHK?
    Jul 16, 2015. 09:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Genesis to buy Enterprise Products' offshore pipeline business for $1.5B [View news story]
    Id rather see them go after SE than WMB
    Jul 16, 2015. 08:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Feel like they're getting ready for a big deal - I think thats whats weighing on the unit price. Also NGLs are down so that business for them might look not great this Q.
    Jul 16, 2015. 09:24 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors increases land holdings in Nevada [View news story]
    Lithium isnt rare, but the cost of extraction can be high. Again, I have seen reports in CNBC, Fortune, Forbes, the Wall St Journal, and analyst notes from different investment banks saying that the gigafactory will consume upwards of 10% of global lithium supply. That will push the market from being slightly oversupplied now, towards equilibrium or a tight market as we get towards 2020. That would be good for lithium producers.

All Im looking for is data on lithium, Im not invested in Tesla, so I'm not long or short and don't need to or want to be convinced to be long or short. Several people on here are making claims about the amount of lithium needed at the gigafactory, and it not being a big deal, and all I'm looking for is data to help inform myself and see if that argument holds water.

Reports I'm reading say the gigafactory will consume 9,000 tons (BACs #) to between 15,000 and 25,000 tons (GS's #) of lithium carbonate a year. The high end of that estimate is 17% of global supply. Lithium carbonate is $5k to $6k a ton. Anyone with links to data or articles about Tesla's potential lithium use and the global lithium supply/damnd balance that could send them my way would be appreciated.

Jul 15, 2015. 01:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors increases land holdings in Nevada [View news story]
    DavDaddy do you have any data or articles that support that lithium case? I've seen several things that say the gigafactory will strain the lithium supply chain, but nothing to ever say that there was enough lithium produced per year in the US to supply the gigafactory's annual needs. I'd be interested in seeing anything new you've got.

Thanks.
    Jul 15, 2015. 10:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sharing millennials still a drag on retail sales [View news story]
    Yup most of my friends spend the majority of their income on rent, student loans, TV/Phone/internet, travel, and then beer and eating out. Loans are a big killer, but even without them I'm not sure people would be buying houses, but thats likely because where I am its cheaper to rent than buy.
    Jul 14, 2015. 03:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sharing millennials still a drag on retail sales [View news story]
    Technology is just making it easier to find deals and advertise, hence the "sharing" economy. Why pay for a hotel when I can AirBnb for less. And if Uber is cheaper than a car rental, why would I rent a car? There are winners and losers in every change of technology, businesses will adapt or they will go under.

Netflix is different. Its a new way of getting media directly into your home in a cheap and high quality way. Its just the next evolution of the movie rental store.
    Jul 14, 2015. 02:34 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pipeline Consolidation Could Be Coming For Spectra Energy [View article]
    MPLX buys MarkWest for $15.8 billion in a sign of further consolidation. Expect more deals between now and year end
    Jul 13, 2015. 01:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Magnum Hunter Finally Make A Big Deal? [View article]
    So the bonds trading where they are point to a market indication that others have done similar liquidity analysis and come to a different conclusion than you, and that no one holding the debt believed the $50 mil revolver was going to cause a bankruptcy.

The pipeline is a gathering system in the heart of the Utica that's seen volumes triple in a year, has interconnections to all the long haul pipes you just mentioned and a handful more, and that is one of the largest gathering systems of gas in that area. I have no idea what point you are trying to make about it not being a long haul pipeline.

We'll continue the dialogue when we see what they realize from the sale of the pipeline stake, if it actually ever gets sold.
    Jul 10, 2015. 03:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil Setting Up For Another Leg Down [View article]
    Rig count in the Permian up 7 rigs. Safe to say the break even price there is well below current levels.

Jul 10, 2015. 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Magnum Hunter Finally Make A Big Deal? [View article]
    Bond prices indicated a very low chance of bankruptcy
    Jul 10, 2015. 01:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Magnum Hunter Finally Make A Big Deal? [View article]
    I agree with you that everything Gary says should be taken with a grain of salt, and I think we've been over that before. I disagree that an announced deal for EH will be a total EV value and not an equity value, and I disagree with your idea that MSI paid an artificially high price for a tiny sliver just to do MHR a favor by showing a high valuation.

Yes you have been right about the negative view about the stock, and yes, I blame delays in production coming on, which prevented MHR from hedging more nat gas above $4 late last year, squarely on management. But it doesnt change the fact they have premier acreage in a great basin. The value here has always been in the ground.
    Jul 10, 2015. 07:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas Exports Ramping Sooner Than Expected [View article]
    Based on today's Natural Gas weekly report from the EIA, natural gas exports to Mexico have likely reached 3.7 BCF/d, and have been up 4.8% and 1.8% each week since setting a record of 3.5 bcf/d in the week ending June 24.
    Jul 9, 2015. 09:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment