Mike Maher

View Mike Maher's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Brent crude jumps more than $2 as Iraq violence spirals [View news story]
    Right, I was on the tirade.
    Jun 12 08:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brent crude jumps more than $2 as Iraq violence spirals [View news story]
    I didn't realize blaming "banksters" for oil increasing on violence in the middle east was considered insight. Thanks for that clarification.

Why would people who commit suicide bombings to kill our troops want to "cut their own throats" and not sell the Western world oil? Is that a joke? And if al-Qaeda backed militants seize control of the oil fields, do you think the US is going to buy oil from them? Or are we going to place sanctions on them and try to shut them out of the market, at the very least, if not re-engage them in armed conflict?

Saudi's usually keep 1.5 to 2 million boe/d of spare capacity - that is their stated buffer. So, with a market that is tight from Iranian sanctions and violence in Libya, yes a shut down of 3.3 million barrels a day is going to affect price, because no the Saudi's don't have enough capacity to immediately replace that. Even a partial shut down will decrease the Saudi buffer, which will lead to higher prices.
    Jun 12 10:09 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brent crude jumps more than $2 as Iraq violence spirals [View news story]
    Right, because the odds of a meteor strike on the Bakken and the odds of an Iraqi civil war are roughly the same. Supply disruptions or potential supply disruptions lead to price increases. Take an Econ 101 class.
    Jun 12 09:18 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Anadarko hits 52-week highs as takeover speculation swirls [View news story]
    I'm with you, waiting for someone to start to roll up either the Bakken, Utica, or the Niobrara. Even the Eagle Ford likely needs to consolidate.
    Jun 11 02:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Realty price target cut at BofA [View news story]
    I have DRIP set up so I'm adding each month to the position. I didnt think it would go much lower when I got in around $12.50, so the fact its down here is a bit of a shock to me. I also think it should probably trade around $15, but we're a long way from there.

Agree with EarningsMarq - as someone involved in the industry, I think the market is being too hard on ARCP. Also not a huge fan of the RL deal, but it is what it is I suppose. I'm planning on holding it for a number of years, so it has a long time to move higher, and the reinvested dividends help smooth things out, and compound the yield.
    Jun 11 02:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Magnum Hunter to offer ~$45M for Ambassador Oil, to issue 5.1M shares [View news story]
    Ive been working on something a few times, and life just keeps getting in the way - soon I hope, but we shall see. As for GST, I feel like its ran away from me - i had someone recommend I check it out when it was around $1, and I decided i liked MHR better. I havent really been following it, but I think they have some acreage relatively close to where MHR is in WV.
    Jun 10 07:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Penn Virginia proposes $250M private offering of depositary shares [View news story]
    I hope he comes out against this and calls for them to start an auction. Kind of a BS deal that clearly got leaked ahead of this announcement.
    Jun 10 07:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Aubrey McClendon is back in the big leagues with $4.2B in new deals [View news story]
    Yea I mean $1.75 bil / by the acreage gets you the $23k, but there's production that should be taken into account too. I'm just trying to get some more data on all the Ohio and WV acrage, but since neither company is public I don't think I'll get much.

Agree though Aubrey seems to have paid quiet a bit deal more than he needed to.
    Jun 10 04:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Michael! Any idea if its all contiguous in Monroe? Or how the price per acre is allocated between the two deals?
    Jun 10 03:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    He's made that comment to a few different publications - saying he wants to beat the Rice Bigfoot well at 42.5 MMcfe/d. We'll know in another couple months!
    Jun 10 03:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    When MHR sold the south Texas acreage to New Standard Energy a few months back, MHR took at 17% stake in NSE as part of that deal. NSE had a ~47% interest in the PEL 570 block that Ambassador holds the remaining ~53%.

As to why they are doing this, its no cash out of MHR's pocket, which means it wont affect the budget this year. I'm assuming that someone took a look at the data and has decided that if they frac this basin EURs and IP rates go through the roof, so Evans is trying to lock up some very cheap "lottery" type acreage. IDK, kind of a strange thing to do, but they've had a few months to look at the data in the Cooper Basin, and Evans has a history of buying acreage no one wants and selling it for tens of thousands of dollars an acre a few years later. Not a reason to sell the stock off today, thats for sure.
    Jun 10 03:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    They came over the top of a bid by Drill Search. Drill Search highlights in their presentation for the take over that New Standard, backed by the technical expertise of Magnum Hunter, would operate the blocks. I'm guessing Gary decided that if they are the ones transferring all the technology, why not control all the WI in the acreage.
    Jun 10 09:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'm not a big fan of this announcement, but its for no cash, which makes me less concerned.

Sorry I just looked at Ambasador's website and see they have Colorado acreage. The deal is definitely targeting Australia, not the Colorado acres.
    Jun 10 09:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    How many bums start a company from nothing and turn it into a multibillion dollar leader in the industry? Sure, he paid himself too much, and the firm had governance issues from the get go, but everyone should have known that before buying shares in the $40s, $50s, $60s, and $70s.
    Jun 9 08:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The company came public in 1993 at an adjusted price of $1.33. Aubrey founded and built the company into the second largest producer of natural gas in the country. Your statement that he did not create shareholder value from CHK's founding until he left the firm is grossly inaccurate.
    Jun 9 06:53 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment