Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Seadrill Angers EU With Rosneft Deal, New Sanctions May Hurt [View article]
    Poorly Timed:

I have no advice for you because I do not pretend to be an expert. I will think good thoughts for you and hope eventually everything comes out OK.

Sep 15 01:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Angers EU With Rosneft Deal, New Sanctions May Hurt [View article]
    map:

I appreciate the points you have made. Thanks for taking the time.

Sep 15 01:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Overcoming Financial Pessimism [View article]
    Social Security is not "close to insolvency" as the alarmists like to state. At worst, if no changes are made, less money will start coming in than going out in about 20 years, which would reduce payments by 25% percent. Sure, receiving 1500 per month when one was expecting 2000 would really suck ... but it's a far cry from receiving $0 - which is what "insolvent" suggests.

Besides, there WILL be tweaks and alterations. Maybe full retirement age goes up to 68. Maybe one won't be able to start receiving it until 63. Maybe the taxation ceiling will be raised. Any one of those things would add years and years to Social Security's ability to remain fully funded, and any one of those things would be far more politically palatable than means-testing to the extent that a middle-class person is cut off. Middle-class folks vote!

Medicare and Medicaid have far more troubles - and far more complex solutions - than Social Security does. I just don't buy all the SS scare stories I read.

Sep 15 12:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 15 Increases Expected By November 30 [View article]
    MCD figures to announce its hike this week, anytime from Wednesday on.

I am hoping for at least a nickel to .86, but I'm thinking Dividend Growth Machine very well could be right about the 4 cent raise to .85.

Either way, I'd be reasonably happy, and I'm confident MCD will fight through its recent malaise the way it has through past rough patches. I just topped off at 91 and now have a full position in what I consider a long-term, core portfolio holding.

Good fortune to all.

Sep 15 12:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T And Consolidated Edison A 'Tell' Of 2 Champions: Part 3 [View article]
    622:

Don't guess about Buffett's feelings about dividends, know his feelings about dividends. Here is what he said in his 2013 annual letter:

"Most companies pay consistent dividends, generally trying to increase them annually and cutting them very reluctantly. Our “Big Four” portfolio companies follow this sensible and understandable approach and, in certain cases, also repurchase shares quite aggressively. We applaud their actions and hope they continue on their present paths. We like increased dividends, and we love repurchases at appropriate prices."

Get that? It's not a "coincidence" that his Big Four portfolio companies pay dividends. He likes companies that pay dividends. Specifically, he likes companies that grow dividends because such companies are following a "sensible and understandable approach." He in turn buys mass quantities of those companies and makes them part of BRK's portfolio.

You can choose to use this information, ignore this information or roll this information inside of of Zigzags and smoke it. Just don't pretend this information doesn't exist.

Sep 15 12:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can A Successful Dividend Portfolio Be Assembled In 2014? - Part 2 [View article]
    Blue:

Brokers make money from commissions and fees, for certain. Many of the big brokerages have relationships with clients offering far more than buying and selling stocks. Vanguard, my brokerage, sells mutual funds, ETFs, CDs, bonds, money-market funds and advice. So if giving me some low-cost or no-cost services leads me to give them other business, it is a win for them.

Those are my answers. However, I am not a brokerage, have never worked for a brokerage and am not an expert on brokerages, so I will defer to others who might have more knowledge.

Sep 14 03:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Shares Appear Significantly Undervalued From A Dividend Growth Perspective [View article]
    Two days ago, everything I read about MCD was filled with gloom and doom.

Well, it is up nearly $3/share since Wednesday's low, and today it was one of the few blue-chip stocks to have a winning day.

I don't know that I agree with MCD being "significantly undervalued," but it is not overvalued. More importantly, it is one of the world's great companies. Own it, hold it for decades and sleep well.

Sep 12 11:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Angers EU With Rosneft Deal, New Sanctions May Hurt [View article]
    Poorly:

The cautionary tale I get out of it is the sheer amount of dough invested in one company.

Now, maybe you're worth $5 million of$10 million, so $150,000 is a drop in the bucket for you. But to me it seemed like a lot of money to throw at a significantly leveraged company in a volatile sector with the market at 6-year highs.

Believe me, I'm not trying to rub salt in your wounds. You asked, so I answered. I just hope you (and everybody else) comes out of this OK.

Sep 12 11:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Angers EU With Rosneft Deal, New Sanctions May Hurt [View article]
    delprice:

<<mid 20's? that's fear talking...>>

Maybe ... but if someone said two months ago, "We could see under 31 in two months," would you have said that was fear talking then?

Sep 12 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Angers EU With Rosneft Deal, New Sanctions May Hurt [View article]
    Poorly:

That's a sad story ... and a cautionary tale.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck with SDRL and your entire portfolio.

Sep 12 01:44 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Angers EU With Rosneft Deal, New Sanctions May Hurt [View article]
    1114:

Hitler ... there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!

Sep 12 01:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Angers EU With Rosneft Deal, New Sanctions May Hurt [View article]
    SMM:

$30.77 is the 13% yield mark, and it's just a stone's throw from there. (Actually, that's the 12.99967% yield mark, but that's close enough!)

Sep 12 01:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Dividend Challengers Should Carry Warning Labels: "Caution! Not Recession Tested!" [View article]
    Eric & chowdah:

Agree.

I let it drop right through the bottom of my buy zone without buying it. International sanctions ... I don't know ... I need to see how it all plays out before even considering it.

Sep 12 01:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Given that SDRL is down 15% in the few weeks since this was published, I hope nobody made an emotional decision to buy it based on the passionate comments that followed my article.

For those who did, I wish you luck and I wish your position a speedy recovery.

For those who didn't but now might be viewing SDRL's woes as they relate to EU sanctions against Russia as a buying opportunity, maybe it is. I know I've considered it. But I am treading very carefully and will use the weekend to think more about it. The market is like the Wild, Wild West today, and I don't want to do any knee-jerk buying or selling.

Good fortune to all.

Sep 12 12:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Angers EU With Rosneft Deal, New Sanctions May Hurt [View article]
    This is a most interesting situation and, probably, a nice opportunity. The trick is timing.

Nobody wants to buy something at 31 that will be at 24 in a matter of weeks. One shouldn't reply "that's not gonna happen," because SDRL is down 22% in less than 3 months, and it certainly doesn't seem a solution to the Ukraine situation is right around the corner.

On the other hand, try to time it too closely and one misses the opportunity. SDRL already has blown through the bottom of my buy zone, which was 33; thankfully, I had canceled my limit order.

The market is like the Wild, Wild West today so I'm not buying anything, but I'll be putting on my thinking cap over the weekend and trying to formulate a plan.

Good luck to one and all.

Sep 12 12:29 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment