Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My Roth Conversion Odyssey (Part 2) [View article]
    horo:

Your case clearly is an example of it being best not to convert a traditional IRA to a Roth.

I do not believe Dave ever claimed Roth conversions to be an "everybody's gotta do it!" proposition.

Jan 26, 2015. 01:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: McDonald's Down, But Certainly Not Out [View article]
    Despite all the doom and gloom, there is this: McDonald's has more sales and brings in more revenue than the next 10 restaurant chains of its kind COMBINED.

For certain, McDonald's has problems that need to be fixed. One of its problems, however, can't be fixed: It has the unenviable situation of being compared to its former self!

Jan 26, 2015. 12:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Roth Conversion Odyssey (Part 2) [View article]
    Dave:

As one of those who beat the drum loudest for you to do this series, I am thrilled with the information you are providing and with the quality of the comment streams.

I expect to begin undertaking a similar odyssey in the not-to-distant future and it is comforting to have access to information provided by the most intelligent guinea pig on Seeking Alpha!

Thanks so much. I look forward to reading Part 3 ... and 4 ... and 5 ... and so on.

Jan 26, 2015. 12:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Roth Conversion Odyssey (Part 2) [View article]
    Nathan:

Your situation sounds fairly similar to mine.

I am 54 and my wife is 53. Because my head spins thinking about all of the scenarios, and because I am such a big believer in diversification within a portfolio, I choose to diversify the various types of accounts I own (as well as the holdings within them). So my wife and I each has a Roth IRA and a traditional IRA, and we also have a joint taxable account. She currently contributes to a regular 401k but recently the option of going with a Roth 401k has been offered by her company, and I'm still trying to figure out what would be most prudent.

Between Social Security, pensions and dividends, I'm fairly certain we will have greater income when we are retired than we have now, so it makes for an interesting conundrum. I might have her go about 50/50 between the regular 401k and Roth 401k this year and see how that affects us tax-wise before deciding what to do in 2016.

Long-term, I like what Dave is doing by converting traditional IRA assets to Roth assets before he is hit with RMDs, and I'm thinking I'd like to do the same.

Jan 25, 2015. 11:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson: 'Slightly Overvalued' Is No Reason To Sell [View article]
    I love that Munger quote so much, I'd marry it if the quote were a woman (and if I didn't already have the best Sugar Mama wife in the world).

Jan 25, 2015. 11:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    mary:

I especially like No. 5.

Thanks for contributing something very useful to the discussion.

Jan 25, 2015. 09:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Thanks for the explanation, Paul.

You are right about your circumstances being different from mine and many others.

Jan 25, 2015. 08:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    UP:

I'm not gonna tell you whether to DRiP or not, but since about 2011, all brokerage houses, management firms, etc, are required by federal law to detail dividends and capital gains for shareholders.

I actually started DRiPping PG in 2008 and when I moved it all to Vanguard, they figured out my cost basis and all other relevant data for me. All I had to do was fax them a copy of my purchase history.

I'm not sure if other brokerages would do that. Nor am I sure if they would only be willing to go back to a certain date. Just letting you (and others) know about my experience.

Jan 25, 2015. 05:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Terrific comment, Chowdah. But you blew it because you could have done it as the basis of a follow-up article and got some more pocket change to pay for the beer you are gonna buy me!

Jan 25, 2015. 05:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Zok:

I don't own the four others you mentioned, but I do own BAX and I'm quite happy with its performance since I bought it at 65.

As is often the case with stock ownership, timing plays a role in dictating satisfaction.

Jan 25, 2015. 05:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Paul:

Don't those WBA transactions only turn out to be winners only if you really needed the cash for something else -- such as a buying a different stock that has gone on to do even better or to pay for something you really needed in your life?

Selling a winner just to sell it because the price has gone up -- something I have been guilty of in the past, BTW -- doesn't seem the best idea.

Jan 25, 2015. 04:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Paul:

<<My two biggest mistakes: selling too soon and talking myself out of buying when I thought the price was too high. Oh, well. I'll get better -- as long as I don't try to be perfect. Perfection is the enemy of the good--or something like that.>>

Ditto on all of that. Superbly stated. Thanks.

Jan 25, 2015. 04:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Chowdah:

I did own AFL and enjoyed a nice profit from purchase to sale. But I sold it because its dividend growth had slowed markedly and its yield was low -- a poor combination. Throw in the fact that it is so reliant on the Japanese economy and it made no longer owning it an easy decision.

I don't care that it's undervalued. As you said, lots of companies are undervalued right now that I have zero interest in owning.

Jan 25, 2015. 04:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Michael:

<<I think much of the appeal of DGI is that people just enjoy doing it. >>

Well, this is true for me. But even more of the appeal is that I have confidence in it. DGI fits my personality. My mind is at ease because I am 99% sure the money I will need to live on in a few years will be there.

Ahhhh.

Jan 25, 2015. 04:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Damn, Chowdah ... next time you can pick up the bar tab!

Jan 25, 2015. 04:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment