Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Visa: An Opportunity To Capture Growth Alpha [View article]
    Thanks B. Back at ya.

Apr 20 01:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Doing Nothing Is A Strategy For Dividend Income Investors [View article]
    E:

Fair enough.

Do come back to let us know when the whole shootin' match is about to crash! I'm not kidding, either!!

Apr 20 12:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Unplanned Early Retirement, Part 1 - Strategy, Stability, And Moving Forward [View article]
    Mike:

It is great to hear a 27YO planning to do a 401k contribution up to the company match and maxing out his Roth IRA. And then to also do a DGI-based taxable account? Wonderful! Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress.

Apr 20 12:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    E:

If I knew precisely (or even approximately) when to fold 'em, I'd be a multimillionaire. I would have gone 85% cash in September 1987, in 1999, in 2001 and in 2007. But I didn't know, and neither did anybody else.

As I said, plenty of people who are regarded as experts have been advising investors to go cash-heavy since 2012. They didn't know, either.

Apr 19 01:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kimbo:

How much cash one should hold depends solely on each investor's comfort level and risk tolerance. Your guideline might be great for you, but it might not be as good for Investor B or Investor C.

By sheer happenstance -- we had sold a house and, after thinking we'd buy another right away, we decided to rent instead for a few months (which turned into 40 months) -- cash made up nearly half of what we owned in 2008-09.

As it turned out, our good fortune mostly spared us from the market collapse.

I wouldn't hold that much cash again -- for one thing, we have a house now -- but I am happy to have a little cash tucked away for dry powder. I do respect others who do differently and would never try to convince them my way is "better."

Apr 19 01:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Reaper:

Exactly. I also am thinking I will start taking SS at 62 for this very reason. My wife will turn 62 a year later, so maybe we'll reassess and hold off on hers. I won't really start doing serious calculating for what would be best for another 7 years, when I turn 60.

Apr 19 01:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shell: 7%+ Dividend Growth Is Possible [View article]
    RDS goes in fits and spurts. It has done quite well recently, but so have most in the sector. I keep it as more of an income play for its near 5% yield, but I do like it for its total growth potential if, as Ray says, it ever could start to "hit on all cylinders."

I soon will turn off some of my drips so I can accumulate divvies to invest in different companies; when I do, RDS will be among my first choices to de-dripperize because I have plenty of it.

I'm also long XOM, CVX and COP, as well as KMI/KMR, so I feel pretty good about the energy sector representation in my portfolio.

Apr 19 01:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Shell: 7%+ Dividend Growth Is Possible [View article]
    Raj:

Yessir.

For those who like to drip, RDS.A in an IRA with a brokerage that subscribes to the Scrips Dividend Programme is the way to go. Again, I refer everybody to the link I provided in a different comment.

Apr 19 11:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: Has The Easy Money Been Made? [View article]
    Ron:

Great point. Those who bought GE at 40+ are eternally pissed at Immelt and GE. Those who bought it at 6 in 2009 are celebrating their great investment. And even those who bought it when you did are quite pleased.

I bought mine at 30 in 2008. My cost basis says I have lost money on it but thanks to dividend reinvestment my GE stake has been worth more than I paid for it since last year. Not what I was hoping for when I got it, but not a tragedy, either.

Apr 19 11:34 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa: An Opportunity To Capture Growth Alpha [View article]
    Thanks, BAHAMAS.

About 95% of my portfolio is built and I am guarding my cash like Fort Knox right now with so few legitimate bargains out there. I will spend some, but it has to be a slam-dunk for me to do so. As a DGI, it isn't easy to buy such a low-yielding company. But I am willing ... maybe if there's another pullback? We'll see.

Apr 19 11:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    E:

I am not 100% invested, I am proceeding very carefully on new buys and I do have some cash set aside for the next great opportunities.

That being said, I struggle to decide how much cash is the right amount these days. For more than 2 years, many "experts" have been saying the next big correction/crash/reces... is imminent.

Well, that's an easy prediction, as long as one defines "imminent" as "inevitable to the scale of infinity." Of course we're going to have a correction! But if one agreed with those folks and stayed out of the market for 2 or 3 years, one would not be an extremely happy camper right now.

So while I agree with your basic premise, for me the execution is trickier than just saying, "I need to have more cash to be ready for The Next One."

Apr 19 11:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Urban:

Outstanding advice.

Apr 19 11:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    Thanks, nocab.

One of the best things about writing for Seeking Alpha are the comments I receive. Lots of good ideas in there that make me say, "I wish I had said that!" Thankfully, I didn't have to ... because the commenters did!

Apr 19 10:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    Scott:

I'm a pretty good hitter when I just try to make contact. I sometimes get in trouble when I swing for the fences. Not always easy to control the urge to swing hard, especially when I occasionally (VERY occasionally) hit a home run.

Apr 19 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    maybe:

<<If you had REALLY, REALLY BELIEVED it was going to be a mistake for you not to buy it at it's currently fair value price -- you would have bought it.>>

Very true. Still, I'm not thrilled that I had my price and then tempted fate in the name of greed -- especially since I had done that earlier in my DGI career, been burned and vowed not to do it again! Some mistakes are avoidable and some are not; this would seem to reside in the former camp.

As for the Blazers, they are one of the teams I watch because I'm a big Wes Matthews fan (one of Marquette's finest). So good luck to your boyz!

Apr 19 10:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment