Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    gratian:

I would never try to emulate any one person's strategy. You take the best from this person, the best from that person, do your own research, take into account your own personality (and comfort level and risk tolerance), and you create your own personalized strategy!

Apr 16 06:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Is Total Return A Useful Metric? [View article]
    Of course, DVK.

I even have broadcasting experience. I was the moderator -- a.k.a., the voice of reason, ha! -- for a "Sportswriters on Radio" show for 2+ years in the 1990s.

Apr 16 03:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 13 Increases Expected By The End Of June [View article]
    mp:

Care to share the top names on your list of JNJ replacements?

Apr 16 02:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Challengers: 15 Increases Expected In The Next 11 Weeks [View article]
    Bought a bunch of BAX a few months ago and just recently topped it off. Very much looking forward to another healthy divvy hike!

Apr 16 02:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    DVK:

I already cut, pasted and saved this comment. An eloquent, reasonable explanation for one of the things (perhaps the main thing) that makes DGI a common-sense, attractive strategy.

Apr 16 08:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Dividend Stocks Headed In The Right Direction [View article]
    Hi Ron. I traded KMB for KRFT, in part because of the disappointing increase, in part because KRFT has almost a point higher yield, in part because KRFT was better valued, in part because I already have too many consumer staples and I can't have them all.

So far, from a total return basis, I'm well ahead ... although that's not really what I'm looking at. Well ahead on divvies, too!

KMB has been a great company, though, and I'd consider buying back in if the next divvy announcement is more favorable and if valuation is right.

Apr 16 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Dividend Stocks Headed In The Right Direction [View article]
    If only MMM were 3.47%!
    Apr 16 07:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Buying W.P. Carey For The Long Haul [View article]
    als:

WRE ... now there's a four-letter word. I almost bought that dog about two days before it slashed its divvy. It was a good eye-opener for me!!

Apr 15 10:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Buying W.P. Carey For The Long Haul [View article]
    Thanks for the response, Brad.

I'm not a buyer at 60, or even 55, but that's just me. I can see why you and others would buy here.

I am happy with the REIT exposure I have but I would jump in at 50 -- as I'm sure many others would, too!

Apr 15 10:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Costco The Strongest Large U.S. Retailer? [View article]
    Portage:

I used to live on the north side of Chicago. When there was word we were going to get a Costco not far away in 2000, I was like, "Yeah, that will be the day I pay to shop." I had gone into a couple of Sam's Clubs and was not impressed.

But I did check it out, and from the very first time I stepped into the store, I was blown away by the prices, the selection and the presentation. No, they don't carry everything that most big-box stores do; not even close. But they have a great sense of what they SHOULD carry, and then they price it so attractively that it's hard to resist buying it. For example, we used to do a lot of clothes shopping at Marshalls and TJMaxx. But Costco has better stuff at better prices, and now I just about never go into those stores.

And don't even get me started about the return policy. You can return just about anything anytime. They rarely even ask why. I have returned things that broke 2 years after I bought them. You even can return your membership for a full refund, even on the 364th day of the year. Not many businesses anywhere treats the customer with more respect.

For all of my Costco love, however, I do not own the stock. Every time I've thought about buying it -- which is often -- it's just been too richly valued. As is the case again. If it falls back to double-digits, I'll finally bite ... but I'm not holding my breath.

Apr 15 08:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    gratian:

Zero risk for Buffett. As I said, when you can lose 90% of everything you own and still be one of the 500 richest men in the world, you don't need to worry too much about making a mistake or two in your portfolio.

Apr 15 08:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    chowdah:

With those 9 players, any combination would strong up the middle. And on the corners. And on the mound. And behind the plate.

Brad:

Let JNJ worry about growing its dividend nicely this month. I'll worry about keeping my players healthy!

Apr 15 08:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    chowdah:

Indeed, BRK lost half its value between Dec 2007 and Feb 2009. Pity the poor souls who needed to sell shares so they could pay their mortgage, utilities, college costs, etc.

PG, MMM, JNJ, KO, etc., lost plenty of value then, too. But if one didn't have to sell because one was living off the dividends, those would have only been paper losses. The investor would have been rewarded nicely for hanging in there and not selling a single share.

Apr 15 04:20 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    DVK:

No worries about "thread-stepping." Maybe it even got me a couple more pageviews to help fund my WSOP career!

Apr 15 03:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Is Total Return A Useful Metric? [View article]
    WDGI ... maybe that should be our radio station's call letters for the big Dividend Growth Investing hour!!
    Apr 15 03:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment