Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Much Kinder Morgan Is Too Much For A Dividend Growth Investor? [View article]
    Bob:

I think it is fair to wonder if KMI will be able to deliver on the promised dividend growth. I guess we'll see eventually.

Nevertheless, I am more likely to keep all of my KMI than to sell it all. In the end, I'll probably trim.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob:

Thanks.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Gag:

I was going to refer you to a comment I already made that addressed this, but I realized you might have trouble finding it, so I'll cut and paste it here:

I am human, so yes I have noticed KMI's price decline. But (unfortunately) it is not the only company I own that has suffered price declines. Right in that sector (albeit in a different industry), COP, CVX and XOM have suffered much worse declines. I haven't sold any of them -- haven't really even considered it -- and in fact have added a little XOM while contemplating adding a little more of that and CVX. So it's not the price action that really drove me to this.

I bought KMI at a time when I didn't have quite as discerning eye for what I was putting in my portfolio. It survived my "quality makeover" because, yes, it was performing both in total value and dividend growth. When the consolidation occurred, I ended up with a boatload of KMI and that sole fact pretty much "forced" me to make it a core holding.

Even after all that, and all the negative articles, I never thought about trimming. (For one thing, there are probably more positive KMI articles, especially on SA.)

But when I saw Bob's article and it made me check my credit ratings and then I realized that it ranked dead last for me, it just made me think more, that's all.

I admit to being a little nervous. But I am not having sleepless nights over KMI. I am not obsessed with it. I didn't even start thinking about selling any of it until a couple days ago.

So it might not be so much that KMI has changed -- although it has. It's more that the way I view companies has evolved some. And that, combined with KMI getting downgraded to 3 by Value Line and a few other facts, has led me to wonder if I don't own too much of it. That's all.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Alfredo & others:

You definitely have the right to express your beliefs, but I am not going to get into politics here. For me, it's not the right place for it. For others who want to have that discussion, feel free.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Paul:

I am not going to let a very good comment stream devolve into an us-vs-them, DGI-vs-the-world thing.

So I acknowledge your comment and your right to make it, but I am not going to engage in that subject in this stream.

Have a good day.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    gman:

Congrats on getting out when you did.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Boo:

During my first 2 years in DGI, every time I sold something it came back to bite me. I think my selling decisions since I really started thinking things through and being less impulsive have been much better.

I am now a very reluctant seller, and that is one of the things that will influence this decision.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    stone:

I appreciate the kind words and the opinion. I'm leaning that way.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    TRI:

<<Pipelines are the only way to transport all that gas, and Richard Kinder knows his way around them.>>

An excellent argument for keeping most or all of a KMI position.

I think sometimes we (and that includes me) tend to get caught up a little too much in the oil side of it.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    User:

<<I think KMI is an unsafe investment. >>

Value Line seems to agree with you, at least somewhat. Add in the credit rating and the debt and I don't blame you for having some of the same thoughts I do.

I probably won't sell all of mine but I am leaning toward a trim. Thanks for sharing your views.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sam & Steve:

Thanks for your cogent, reasonable comments.

Did that response address your concerns with my concerns?

Jul 28, 2015. 04:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ed & sb:

I'll sell 'em to either of you for $50/share!

Hey ... put that tire iron down!!!!

Jul 28, 2015. 04:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    zurick:

I am an EXTREMELY reluctant seller, so I do not buy thinking about if and when I might sell. You almost surely disagree with that, which is cool, but it's not how I want to invest.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DH:

I don't hate or fear K-1s. I used to own LINE and the K-1 was easily handled by my tax software. That was the least of my problem with LINE!

I don't want an MLP in my Roth, which is where KMI resides. So I'd have to move some holdings around if I want to buy an MLP in my taxable account. I'm the one who brought it up in the article, so I don't blame you for suggesting it, and I do like the three you name.

More likely, I would go for SE.

Thanks for the great comment.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    wac:

I like everything you say here. As I say in the article, it is where I am leaning.

I wouldn't say KMI is "driving me crazy," though. When I look at my portfolio, I think about it. Otherwise, I'm not obsessed with it. If I were, I'd have already done something about it, and that something would have been to sell it all.

Jul 28, 2015. 04:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment