Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why I Purchased Schwab's U.S Dividend Equity ETF As A Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    Unless it's golf. Then it would be five!

Apr 24, 2015. 11:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comparing The DG50 To My 3-Fund Portfolio On The Road To Retirement [View article]
    varan:

<<Don' fall into the trap of measurement yardsticks that do not provide any value to you.>>

Excellent advise! Seriously!

I'll be looking for you to similarly advise those whose primary concern is income but who keep getting bugged in comment streams to provide total-return data.

"Don't fall into the trap of total-return measurement yardsticks that do not provide any value to you, the income investor."

That will be great.

Apr 24, 2015. 08:17 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave:

Yep. That's a big part of what I'll be doing when comparing the DG50 to the various indexes I also bought as part of my project.

Apr 24, 2015. 08:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave:

Exactly. Make it public. Write an article or an instablog or at least put it in the comment stream of a widely read article. It can be a model portfolio, but it would be even better if funded with real money -- would show one has true conviction.

It's so freakin' easy to criticize and to say what everybody should have done or what the critic would have done.

Apr 24, 2015. 08:13 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    six:

Why should we believe you know more about the forward direction of the market than Bogle and Buffett do?

I'm not saying you don't. Maybe you are the smartest investor in the world. But why should anybody believe that to be true? Why should you believe that to be true?

Apr 24, 2015. 03:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Agreed, Tx. Lots of great companies out there. That's why there are so few legitimate "must-owns."

Apr 24, 2015. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave C & Scott:

Thanks for providing this excellent insight.

Several of the panelists said they would not buy many of the companies on their list because of valuation. Several said they were looking more toward the future. Several chose companies they didn't own but thought were interesting candidates going forward. Several chose companies that didn't even pay dividends.

I wanted to provide as few guidelines as possible because I wanted these fine contributors to come up with their own reasons for choosing their top 50s. One thing I hoped they would be able to do was explain why they picked what they did -- and they offered eloquent, reasoned explanations.

In all, 163 different companies were "nominated." As if the DG50 didn't provide enough of a list of wonderful companies for consideration, the follow-up article to which Scott linked provided even more.

Apr 24, 2015. 10:49 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave:

Thanks for providing and link to my DG50 project and to discussing it throughout your article. I welcome any discussions that can help our fellow investors.

A few points:

1. The DG50 is a compilation of the 10 panelists' choices. My only input was in breaking a 14-way tie for the last four spots; I chose the four stocks in that group that I owned in my personal portfolio. Otherwise, my only role was in compiling the information. I discuss how the DG50 was formed in this article - http://seekingalpha.co.... (Readers will note I had called it the "New Nifty Fifty" back then.)

2. The Dividend Growth 50 was never intended to be a suggested portfolio. As I say in the article in which I introduced the DG50 (http://seekingalpha.co...) and you recount here, I did indeed invest $25K of my own money into it for the purpose of a forward-looking project. But as I have said in every article I have written about the DG50, these are not buy recommendations but ideas for companies to be considered after investors conduct their own due diligence. I fully expect that any DGI owns 15 or 23 or 34 of these names -- companies that he or she carefully selected after significant DD and attention to valuations. I probably am the only one who owns all 50, and I surely am the only one who bought all 50 on the same day, valuations be damned.

3. I happen to think even young investors can benefit from Dividend Growth Investing. However, I don't want this to devolve into yet another DGI-vs- TR cage match, so I won't argue with your opinion that income serves no purpose in this discussion for some investors. I would strongly contend, however, that once an investor starts getting to my age (54) and has retirement in his sights, building an income stream can be paramount to a portfolio, so those investors might be much more interested in proven, reliable dividend-growing companies instead of funds. Whether or not income is "important" might have to be one of those agree-to-disagree deals.

Again, thanks for doing this. I will look forward to reading your future articles on this subject and will try to limit my comments to concentrate on facts so as to avoid getting sucked into us-vs-them debates.

Apr 24, 2015. 08:31 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett And Losing Billions Of Dollars [View article]
    Oh Robert ... get REAL!

Apr 23, 2015. 11:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Spending Typically Declines As We Age [View article]
    David:

Great point. We don't have a mortgage, so we spend the most money now on investments, taxes, FICA, transportation to work, etc.

Apr 23, 2015. 11:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    All I know is that I can leave my investments to my heirs. Once I'm gone, here's how much Social Security they'll get from me: $0.00.

I love my kids. Why wouldn't I want to spend my Social Security and keep my investments intact as long as I can?

Apr 23, 2015. 11:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Aiming My Sights On A Beaten-Down STAG Industrial [View article]
    sm:

Sounds like me picking a line for the grocery store. It's always the wrong one. If somebody gets behind me, I always warn them that they are in for a long wait and that they should get in a different line from me if they want to get out of the store before midnight!

Apr 23, 2015. 11:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Aiming My Sights On A Beaten-Down STAG Industrial [View article]
    Eric:

Thanks for the detailed response. I hope STAG does very well for you and others.

Apr 23, 2015. 11:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Aiming My Sights On A Beaten-Down STAG Industrial [View article]
    Steve:

Thanks. Takes care of the insider trading question.

The other questions, not so much.

I've gotten to the old and stodgy part of my investing career and I mostly hate speculating on companies I don't completely understand and don't have great confidence in. But that's just me -- burned in the past by too many LNCOs and ESVs and PSECs. I realized I don't NEED to make those kinds of investments to enjoy a carefree retirement, so I'm trying to avoid be seduced by them. I wish all STAG investors well, though.

Apr 23, 2015. 11:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Tx:

<<Is AMP in the DG50?>>

Nope.

I can't believe you haven't memorized all 50 by now. For shame, for shame!!

Apr 23, 2015. 10:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment