Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Bogle's Views On Retirement Income [View article]
    rash:

I'm the guy who doesn't like debt ... and therefore has none.

I understand lots of folks like to use debt in many facets of life. I don't.

Feb 26, 2015. 11:13 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Impeccable Quality, But There Are No Bargains Today In The S&P 500 Consumer Staples Sector: Part 8 [View article]
    Chowdah:

Got it. Well done.

Feb 26, 2015. 06:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The 'Income Bubble' End As Badly As The Tech Bubble? [View article]
    Adam:

Shows what this polished journalist knows about headline writing!

Feb 26, 2015. 06:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Indices Hit Record Highs: Why Are Dividend Investors Filled With Fear And Loathing? [View article]
    George:

No doubt, there are DGIs who fear and loathe this market. But I honestly don't believe a majority of them do. Maybe I'm wrong, of course.

Have a good one.

Feb 26, 2015. 06:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • To DRIP Or Not To DRIP [View article]
    DGM:

It is my understanding that the FRIP plan is closed to new investors at this time, which is too bad because it sounds like a great way to invest, especially for those with relatively limited funds. A friend of mine who does the FRIP says Scottrade told him they hope to reopen FRIPs to new investors at some point in 2015.

Feb 26, 2015. 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The 'Income Bubble' End As Badly As The Tech Bubble? [View article]
    Hi Adam.

As usual, I agree with your overall thesis.

I also agree that this is not a bubble for dividend stocks, certainly not even close to the real stock bubble that existed in 2000.

And I commend you for putting a provocative headline on the article. "Bubble" is one of those magic words that draw eyes. Hope you make enough $ on PVs to enjoy a very nice dinner out with the wife!

Feb 26, 2015. 09:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The 'Income Bubble' End As Badly As The Tech Bubble? [View article]
    eternal:

Adam put "Income Bubble" in quotation marks because he does not really believe it is a bubble. And just in case readers didn't get that, He made this the very first bullet point in his summary at the top of the article: "It is doubtful that income stocks and bonds will be looked back upon as being in a bubble."

Feb 26, 2015. 09:46 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hilo:

Exactly. Lots of really good companies out there. More than that, lots of really good companies with yields higher than 2.3% and dividend growth greater than 2.1% annually.

Feb 26, 2015. 09:41 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • To DRIP Or Not To DRIP [View article]
    This is a much-discussed topic in this corner of Seeking Alpha, and I'm not going to go into the pros and cons here. I just want to make sure I clarify one thing to those who might be fairly new to Dividend Growth Investing ...

The capitalized DRIP -- or, more accurately DRiP with a small "i" -- is usually reserved to describe formal Dividend Reinvestment Plans that companies run or, more commonly, use agents such as Computershare to run for them. By participating in a DRiP, an investor can buy small amounts (or large amounts) of a company's stock at regular intervals and can instruct the company to reinvest all dividends. Many companies have no charges for doing all of that, although fees are becoming more prevalent.

I built my now sizable PG position through that company's in-house DRiP from 2008-2012, buying about $175 worth of PG stock twice a month and reinvesting all dividends. My purchases bought full and fractional shares, as did my reinvestments, and I never paid a penny for the right to do so. After PG turned its plan over to Computershare, I moved my entire stake over to my Vanguard brokerage at no charge.

So that's a DRiP.

The author, however, is talking about instructing one's brokerage -- Vanguard, Schwab, TD Ameritrade, Fidelity, ETrade, etc -- to reinvest all dividends back into the stocks that product them. This kind of dividend reinvesting is informally called "dripping." It is not an official plan but more a strategy or philosophy.

I do this with all of my stocks for many of the reasons the author states, although I know and respect many successful investors who accumulate dividends over weeks or months and then deploy the money into different stocks. Most say they would rather invest that money in undervalued companies or in companies that are underweight in their portfolios. That also is a way to reinvest dividends; it's just a different way.

Others, like frequent commenter Buy&Hold 2012, accrue dividends over many years, waiting for the market to correct and then using his huge stash to make large buys at a major discount.

To me, there is no "right" or "wrong" choice here because every investor has different goals and different comfort levels.

Happy investing, all.

Feb 26, 2015. 09:37 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    C'mon, George.

I neither fear nor loathe this market, and I think I'm a fairly typical DGI. Don't paint all of us with a broad brush!

Feb 26, 2015. 12:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy This Dividend Aristocrat While It's Still Cheap [View article]
    Hey, Pey:

You might or might not be interested to know that I think an article you wrote more than 3 years ago was the first one I ever commented on. It was so long ago, I was going by a pseudonym "Here's To Life!"

As you can see, I have gone on to write a few more comments. And a few articles, too.

I had been wondering why I hadn't seen your name in a long time. Welcome back.

Feb 25, 2015. 11:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • No Dividend Conspiracy At Wal-Mart; Its Growth Has Simply Stalled [View article]
    Miguel:

I don't think you'll be buying mine, because I'll have sold it before then!

Feb 25, 2015. 11:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Eric:

I of course am wishing I sold WMT yesterday afternoon, when it was a buck higher. D'oh! I simply haven't had time to finish all my research yet, but as you know I'm strongly leaning toward selling, too.

Congrats on your choices. I prefer AMGN to ABBV, but it's hard to argue with ABBV's divvy. I wish you good fortune.

Feb 25, 2015. 11:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chowdah:

I was surprised to learn in this comment stream that Consumer Staples make up only 25% of your portfolio. Based on comments you have made in other streams, I would have guessed at least 50%. Seriously. I guess I just read them wrong.

Consumer Staples provide about 30% of the income my portfolio generates. So you can see that if I jettison WMT, as I'm leaning toward doing after a second consecutive pitiful dividend hike, I almost surely won't be replacing it with a company in the same sector.

Feb 25, 2015. 11:15 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Evaluation Of Wal-Mart And Its Role Within My Portfolio [View article]
    Scott:

<None of our position adjustments are ever going to move a market, none of us is in competition with each other, we're all trying to do what's best for us.>>

Perfectly stated.