Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • New Dividend Challengers Should Carry Warning Labels: "Caution! Not Recession Tested!" [View article]
    kolpin:

That's a legitimate question.

And I guess my legitimate answer is that there is no perfect method to go into the past to guarantee anything about the future. All we can do is the best we can to increase the likelihood of good results, and these kinds of back tests are one of many ways to try to do that.

Perhaps your question is one reason my portfolio contains so many companies that have survived the Great Recession, the tech bubble, Black Monday and several other financial "crises" - not to mention presidential administrations and Congresses controlled by both parties, debt-ceiling debates, wars, etc.

I like to think that the fact JNJ, PEP, MMM, PG, etc. have gotten through all that while still growing earnings and dividends makes it likely they will continue to do so.

Guaranteed to do so? Of course not. But likely? Yes. And that's the best we can do, no?

Aug 22 10:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Buy For Yield, Stay For Growth [View article]
    Hey storm ... pretty clever, but I promised nothing!

Aug 22 10:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rv:

As I said right in the article and also in several comments, this was not about either SDRL or HSY. I could have picked many other companies as examples, but I wanted to use two popular ones that were very different. In other words, the fact that they are so different is a big reason I chose them.

But the article was about doing due diligence on new Dividend Challengers.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Aug 22 10:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Eddie:

Well, we always did know you were sweet!

Aug 22 10:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Miz:

Believe it or not, I haven't consumed chocolate since Labor Day 1988. Of course, my wife and daughter, being ladies, love their chocolate! So if I ever do buy HSY, it will be with them in mind.

Aug 22 10:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rose:

I have had the same uncomfortable feeling with a few stocks before quickly selling them. Thankfully, that doesn't happen much any more, but I wouldn't apologize if I did. In the end, each of us must feel good about what we own.

Hard to go wrong with GIS, one of DGI Superstars! http://seekingalpha.co...

Hey ... it's been exactly a year since that series concluded. Just about time for an update!

Aug 22 10:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    chowdah:

Makes a lot of sense re SDRL.

As always, thanks for contributing to the conversation.

Aug 22 06:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 25 Dividend Champion Investment Opportunities: Something For Every Retired Investor, Part 1 [View article]
    I hear ya, chowdah.

Investing is challenging enough without trying to guess how they'll change the rules on the fly!

Every so often, somebody opines that it's only a matter of time before government screws with our Roth IRAs. That might happen, I suppose, but I'm much more concerned about the Shells and Kinders and other major corporations changing rules on us. Because while one is a hypothetical concern, the other actually happens numerous times every year.

Aug 22 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Con:

As you know from reading the entire article, it wasn't about SDRL's worthiness as an investment. However ...

Absolutely, if one bought a boatload of SDRL when it was $6-and-change and sold when it got over $40, one could be rich, rich, rich.

Of course, the same can be said about hundreds, maybe thousands, of other stocks. Buy 'em at the floor and sell 'em at the peak. Sounds simple ... why didn't we all think of that?

I have come to realize I'm no good at timing the market, so I don't try.

Aug 22 05:58 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Joe, Fractal and SDS:

Thanks for those links. I'm sure your fellow investors will find them useful.

Aug 22 05:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob:

Have you checked with your library to see if they offer the online version of Value Line available to cardholders? I'm thrilled that mine does and I use it often.

As a couple of fellow commenters also pointed out, there are other resources. They provide links, too.

Aug 22 05:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Scott:

I can see where younger investors would feel that way because they know their big earning years are ahead of them. So hey, if I lose 5 grand now, I'm not thrilled about it but I can overcome it.

But from our many conversations, you know that I agree wholeheartedly with what you say here. As I start to work on investment plans with my own kids, who are in their upper-20s, I am encouraging them to stick mostly with the best companies in the world.

Aug 22 05:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Joe:

I agree that the exercise you suggest would be fascinating. Seeking Alpha is always looking for interesting articles that would help investors. I recommend you take a stab at it!

Given that I only have an 8-10 year time horizon before I'm going to be spending dividends, I can't really comment on a 25-year horizon. However, in my 2+ years of getting into the whole DGI thing, 3-4% - with maybe a few 5-ish% and a couple 2.5%-ish companies sprinkled in - sure seems to be a darn comfortable yield zone filled with time-tested, iconic brands. But that's just one man's opinion.

Aug 22 05:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DVK:

I purposely chose two companies I do not own but might conceivably buy someday if they ever meet my guidelines. I actually like the idea of owning both, so looking into them in this way was helpful for me ... even if I wasn't really writing about them.

One of my favorite things about Seeking Alpha is reading your articles and comments. There is always such a voice-of-reason aspect to them that often is lacking in this in-your-face world of ours.

Aug 22 05:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave:

Wow ... 200 MORE Near Challengers! My goodness!!

As I said in an earlier comment, I have no intentions of dismissing them out of hand but I will look at them with a bit of a jaundiced eye.

One thing I might do is ask myself this: Would I have bought (SBUX, AAPL, etc) without it being on the CCC list at all? If the answer is yes, I'd buy it with a 5-year DG streak or 7-year streak or 10-year streak. If the answer is no, I'd really have to convince myself it was worthy just because it achieves a 5-year DG streak.

Disclosure: My daughter works for SBUX corporate in Seattle and is given SBUX shares. That's the best way of all to buy stock ... when somebody else is paying for it!!

Finally, let me take this opportunity to thank you for all you do for everybody who visits the Dividends and Income sections of Seeking Alpha. To call it valuable is a supreme understatement.

Aug 22 05:43 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment