Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    maybe:

Cy Young: 511 wins, 7,356 innings pitched, 749 complete games ... talk about some records that will never come close to being broken. Not when today's pitchers are called "workhorses" every time they go 7 innings!

Here's a true story you might like: When I was the AP sports guy in Minnesota from 1985-94, I used to write a weekly column in addition to all the other stuff I did. Thinking it might one day help me get my dream job as a major metropolitan area sports columnist, I used to save a copy of every column I wrote, put it in a binder and number it. One of my colleagues saw me and asked me what I was doing.

Me: "I'm numbering 'em. My goal is to match Cy Young's 511."

Him: "Well, Mike, unlike yours, those were all wins!"

Me: "Ouch!"

BTW, saving those Minnesota columns did, indeed, help me reach my career goal!

Jan 20, 2015. 11:41 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    Buck:

<<If the Superstars were really "Super" stars, why not 100% of those?>>

Because even rosters filled with All-Stars need excellent role players and other strong support staff to succeed. Oftentimes in the clutch, it is the workmanlike role players who outperform the "stars."

<<Assuming one is reinvesting dividends, wouldn't the true superstars in an equally weighted portfolio eventually end up over weighted?>>

This certainly would do some of what you say -- unless one rebalances regularly, as many investors do.

<<To me, equal weighting is a way to minimize damage caused by poorly performing selections.>>

Couldn't one maximize damage by giving equal weight to a lower-quality holding?

Actually, I do see your point. Many DGIs I respect equally weight their portfolios and they explain their reasoning eloquently.

I, however, simply do not want MAIN, BBL and NNN paying me more in annual dividends than JNJ, KMI and WEC, and that's exactly what would be happening if they were equally weighted by dollar investment. In fact, they would be paying me significantly more in dividends, and I'd be EXTREMELY uncomfortable with that.

If you are comfortable with it, though, I'm glad you have a strategy that works for you. There are lots of ways to "win."

Jan 20, 2015. 11:35 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    Thanks Skip!

Jan 20, 2015. 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    Argyll:

Yes, you are right. I do believe I already acknowledged my mistake, one that drives me crazy to have known I made. Shall I also pass out wet noodles for the administration of 50 lashes?

Jan 20, 2015. 11:26 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Selecting Dividend Stocks For Income: A 7-Step Process [View article]
    RAS:

Now all we need to do is to get Chowdah to write an article every time he knows of an impending dividend cut.

I am not joking here. It would be one of the most valuable things any contributor could offer Seeking Alpha.

I hope he considers it, and I hope every one is an Editors' Pick!

Jan 20, 2015. 11:18 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Philip Morris: Updating My 2015 Primer [View article]
    Rich:

Your decision is your decision. It doesn't affect me one iota, and I don't know why it should upset any PM longs. I acknowledge it might upset some, but they should worry about themselves! Each of us must go with what we trust.

I am comfortable with PM remaining part of a pretty diverse portfolio. At present, it is my second-biggest income producer but only my 9th-largest holding in terms of paper value.

Jan 20, 2015. 11:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will ConocoPhillips Cut Its Dividend? [View article]
    Bob:

"Lie" is such a strong word. I'm fine with "misled."

Jan 20, 2015. 11:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    Hack:

Maybe it's only me, but it sure seems that more and more companies are adding fees to their DRiPs, and LMTs seemed pretty onerous. My LMT stake now sits comfortably in my brokerage account.

Jan 20, 2015. 11:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    emac:

Yeah, I'm a pretty conservative investor. Even my "speculative" stocks aren't exactly wild ones. I held PSEC and ESV for a very short time and, like you did with BWP and SDRL, I decided I didn't like it. I don't need to take fliers to meet my goals, anyway, so why bother? I have plenty of excitement in my life.

I like your plan ... but then again I would given its similarity to mine!

Jan 20, 2015. 10:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    learning:

I certainly could have showed that data and lots of other stuff. I chose to present only the data directly related to the article.

Jan 20, 2015. 10:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    Golfer:

Thanks for your support.

Jan 20, 2015. 10:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    jw:

Seems like common sense to both of us, so we must be right!

Jan 20, 2015. 10:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    DAK:

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT AND I AM EMBARRASSED TO HAVE MADE SUCH A ROOKIE MISTAKE!

Sorry I'm yelling, but I don't feel good about screwing up like that -- I'm yelling at myself!! Thanks for pointing out my error, as I usually pride myself on my accuracy.

While I am outraged at myself for giving erroneous information about a significant dividend cut, it should be pointed out that MAIN did freeze its dividend for 30 months (as detailed in the next paragraph) -- a fact that would be enough to turn off many if not most Dividend Growth investors.

According to MAIN's Web site (http://bit.ly/1rvshc5), the company began paying a quarterly dividend in November 2007. Its last quarterly dividend was .36 in September 2008. It then switched to a monthly payment of .125 in October 2008. MAIN kept its dividend at .125 per month through March 2011 -- a total dividend freeze of 30 months -- before raising it to .13 in April 2011.

Main Street has raised its dividend multiple times annually since then, and it started paying special dividends in 2013. And that is one of the primary reasons I began investing in MAIN in 2013.

Once again, I apologize for the error. I thought about submitting a correction. But I decided to let this comment exchange stand as the correction to show how much I appreciate your contribution and to underscore that none of us is perfect.

Jan 20, 2015. 10:51 PM | 26 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will ConocoPhillips Cut Its Dividend? [View article]
    Casey:

<<Sit back and relax is something I learned the hard way not to do. I sat back and relaxed with Seadrill and got my rear end handed to me on a silver platter.>>

OK, let's flip this around. I sold MMM at 93 in September 2012, and look at it now. Therefore ... what? ... I should have learned my lesson and never sell another stock?

Can't lump 'em all together. COP isn't SDRL, thank goodness.

Jan 20, 2015. 10:48 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will ConocoPhillips Cut Its Dividend? [View article]
    If necessary, a smaller than normal raise or even a freeze would be understandable. However, there are ways to address COP's issues besides a cut, which would turn shareholders into ex-shareholders en masse.

Jan 20, 2015. 10:03 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment