Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • This Is When The Bear Growls [View article]
    Pharm:

One difference in my eyes is that back in 1999-2000, all anybody could talk about were the dot-com stocks. It was JDSU this, AOL that, WCOM this, Nortel that, Global Crossing this, Novad that. Online trading only recently became possible and Everyman was "getting rich" instantly buying all these companies with no earnings (or negative earnings). If you invested in KO or JNJ or bonds or CDs or anything other than the hot tech stocks, you were hopelessly out of it. If anybody dared bring up the fact that these companies didn't actually make money, the response was that it was the beginning of the new frontier. "This time it's different" was the most popular investing saying in the land.

Is it really like that now? Really? These days, gloom-and-doomers ramble on about a bubble in dividend stocks. That's right ... a bubble in "grandma stocks," real companies with decades-long histories of real earnings and significant current profits. The mainstream worry now doesn't seem to be that Tesla has no earnings, it's that MCD might be overvalued.

I'm seeing far more dissimilarities than similarities.

That doesn't mean there is nothing to worry about now. We always can find something to worry about. That doesn't mean a crash couldn't happen tomorrow. It just means that it wouldn't be the same kind of crash that happened when WCOM and Enron went bust. Nor would it be the same kind of crash that happened when big banks and AIG almost took down the economy in 2008-09.

Jun 22, 2014. 10:27 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Is When The Bear Growls [View article]
    I coulda made a killing if I bought everything before it went up and then sold everything before it went down.

Why the hell didn't I think of that?!?!?!?!?!

Jun 22, 2014. 05:32 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth Revisited - Does It Matter? [View article]
    BHN:

Also, give the CEO and other execs huge bonuses (even if the company isn't performing well).

Or is that the same as wasting it?

Jun 22, 2014. 01:36 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Bear About To Maul The Bull? Here's How We're Investing [View article]
    Ron:

Yep. Plod, plod, plod ... drip, drip, drip ... smile, smile, smile.

Jun 22, 2014. 01:21 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can S&P 500 Top Dividend Growers Continue Their Strong Dividend Growth? [View article]
    gw:

That is definitely true of ESV. So if you buy the company (as I did fairly recently), do so for its total growth story and get what should be a nice run of dividend growth as a bonus. It is one of the very few speculative positions I hold in an otherwise conservative blue-chip porfolio of proven dividend growers.

I like the idea of buying some V eventually, too. With its low current yield, this would be another one for total growth.

I am a DGI proponent but I try to keep an open mind.

Jun 22, 2014. 12:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Yield Vs. Dividend Growth Revisited - Does It Matter? [View article]
    Peace:

I have the same philosophy on buying bananas for me and my wife - riper ones to eat tomorrow; greener ones for the next few days.

I used to work a few hours a week for a company that paid me a whopping $11.50 an hour. Feeling goofy one day, I decided to calculate my per-minute wage and it was 19 cents. Coincidentally, Trader Joe's has been charging 19 cents per banana ever since they opened shop; they've never raised the price.

So when I had to work 10 minutes longer than I expected on a given day, I'd call my wife and say, "Well, I earned 10 extra bananas today."

It became an inside joke we still use ... even though we live fairly far away from Trader Joe's and rarely shop there these days!

Jun 22, 2014. 11:51 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold My Shares In Altria [View article]
    heli:

That's great stuff. Curious: What's the source? Is it part of a larger thesis or research report? I'd love to read it.

Jun 22, 2014. 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Bear About To Maul The Bull? Here's How We're Investing [View article]
    Ron:

Thanks for providing that. I'm not sure I give any more credence to these arguments than I do to those for an imminent bear, but it is interesting to see some mainstream, well-known prognosticators talking about an even more prolonged bull run. This includes several "experts" who had been bearish suddenly reversing course.

I really don't know who to believe, so I'll just keep plodding along with my investments in the strongest, most proven, most reliable, dividend-growing companies around.

Jun 22, 2014. 11:09 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart's Recent Weakness Masks Long-Term Strength [View article]
    Alex:

I put WMT on probation due to the low divvy increase (http://bit.ly/1lItX30). But while WMT's announcement frustrated me and I do not expect to buy more until I see what happens with the next increase, I also do not expect to sell this true blue-chip company. WMT has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Jun 21, 2014. 04:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart's Recent Weakness Masks Long-Term Strength [View article]
    Joe:

Inspirational comment. And yes, it does shed a favorable light on the company. Thanks for the first-hand knowledge.

Jun 21, 2014. 04:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria: What If You Bought At These Highs? [View article]
    mbk:

This is such great stuff from Graham. I've read it all before but I really liked reading it again, here, all in one place.

I will drip MO till the day I die. And that will be a long time from now because I don't use MO's products!

Jun 21, 2014. 04:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria: What If You Bought At These Highs? [View article]
    Babe:

<<My spouse is mad because when I see someone smoking all I think about are my dividends increasing.>>

Funny. If I have the opportunity, I'll say something like, "I hope you're smoking Marlboro and, if not, you'll switch to it. I need the dividends!"

Jun 21, 2014. 04:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fallen Dividend Champions: I Still Have No Fear Of A Market Crash: Part 2 [View article]
    Chuck:

In my most recent article, which also discussed whether or not investors should be fearful of buying now (http://seekingalpha.co...), I included a link to your previous article and also made several references to it. Were I able to go back in time, I would have put a link to this article in there, as well.

First and foremost, you are an outstanding teacher and you have helped many understand so much about investing. I'm sure that even those who disagree with you come away from your articles with something.

I'd say "keep up the good work," but I know you will whether I say it or not!

Jun 21, 2014. 04:04 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold My Shares In Altria [View article]
    heli:

<<Buying at all time highs beats selling over 70% of the time. Look at the history.>>

Intuitively, I want to agree with you, but I'd love to see some stats if you have them.

Jun 21, 2014. 03:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment