Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Growth: Seeking Alpha Style Vs. The Professional [View article]
    Jer:

I am a fairly typical DGI. In fact, probably more "DGI-ish" than most. My portfolio includes mutual funds, cash, a "guaranteed fund" (that will always pay a minimum of 3% annually) and even a couple bonds. Plus, I will have Social Security, which is basically an annuity.

Please don't label or generalize.

Nov 25, 2014. 09:42 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing, Total Return, And Indexing: Let's Take Another Look [View article]
    Well done, Dave. Filled with common sense and irrefutable facts.

Nov 25, 2014. 08:49 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Phex:

Even if there is cherry-picking or a survivorship bias -- and that is debatable -- the fact is that this article used the exact same cherry-picked and "survivor-biasy" stocks the author of the first article did.

Did you comment on the first article refuting his premise that an index was superior to the New Nifty Fifty?

One thing Dave demonstrated beautifully here was that it often is possible to make one's point by cherry-picking a time frame. The first author selected a raging bull market to show that a list of generally more conservative stocks slightly lagged an index. Which is pretty much Investing 101.

All one had to do was add a 2-year bear market into the mix (as Dave's 10-year comparison did) and the slightly more conservative dividend-growers "won" convincingly. Add a second recession into the mix (as Dave's 15- and 20-year looks did) and the New Nifties soundly thrashed the index.

So call it cherry-picked or survivor biased if you want. Others can disagree. We all can have opinions on that. I doubt Dave cares either way, because it certainly doesn't refute his thesis.

Nov 25, 2014. 08:48 AM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth: Seeking Alpha Style Vs. The Professional [View article]
    Dale:

Thanks for linking to my article and for representing it well. Mostly, thanks for giving investors many options to consider for further research. We're all about ideas here.

Nov 25, 2014. 08:31 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth's Not-So-Nifty Fifty [View article]
    Dave & chowdah:

Oh you guys and your silly facts 'n' stuff!

Nov 25, 2014. 12:09 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth's Not-So-Nifty Fifty [View article]
    maybe:

I coach 7th-grade girls basketball. They're constantly correcting my grammar!

Nov 25, 2014. 12:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks Are Not In A Bubble, But Many Of Them Are Pricey [View article]
    giorgio:

Hey, I'm insulted. I invest in SQWL -- Squeaky Wheels Inc.

Better than DGI, you know!

Nov 25, 2014. 12:07 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The CCC DiviDogs 2011 - Year 1 [View article]
    Yeah, Chump, but you didn't get the Official Miz Autographed shares of OHI!!

Nov 24, 2014. 06:48 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth's Not-So-Nifty Fifty [View article]
    Deck:

That food makes me a little sick to my stomach ... and glad I'm not investing in VDIGX for dividend growth.

Nov 24, 2014. 06:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth's Not-So-Nifty Fifty [View article]
    chowdah:

Beautiful. That could have been the introduction to Lowell Miller's book!

Nov 24, 2014. 06:47 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing, Total Return, And Indexing Revisited [View article]
    TF:

My pleasure. Doing those articles helped me a lot, too!

Nov 24, 2014. 04:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The CCC DiviDogs 2011 - Year 1 [View article]
    I have a very good imagination, Miz ... so yes!

Nov 24, 2014. 04:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    <<sp 500 fell 38% in 2008...you forgot the dividends peak to valley 45% anyone that holds 100% stocks is a fool bonds were up 8%>>

But isn't anybody who invests in bonds going to underperform during bull markets -- meaning he or she will constantly have to hear about how his/her portfolio failed to match SPY or VDIGX?

Or are you saying that it is not everybody's goal to "win" the Total Return War? Hmmm. Interesting.

Nov 24, 2014. 04:41 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    miss:

Great points.

Folks keep somehow glossing over one big point of my series -- which I made repeatedly -- it was a list of companies presented to investors for further research. I came right out and said, on multiple occasions, that the articles weren't suggesting that any DGI would or should invest in all 50.

Whatever floats their boats, I guess.

Nov 24, 2014. 04:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    as:

Wow, that's some great stuff.

Only 79.9%? I'm guessing you'll be at 80% by year's end!!!

Nov 24, 2014. 04:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment