Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    Larry:

I agree that the report was OK and I topped off my stake at 94.93 before it jumped a little higher. Maybe the conference call will move the price down or up a little, but either way is fine.

Your excellent article generated a good comment stream. Nice job!

Jan 23 11:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking For Your Portfolio To Excel: Find Some Consistency In Xcel Energy [View article]
    Extremely thorough article. Nice job.

XEL is near the top of my watch list, right up there with AVA. As you point out XEL (unlike AVA) appears undervalued right now.

The main thing holding me back is that I already own a sizable stake in WEC and I might prefer a little bit of geographic diversity. How much overlap is there between WEC and XEL? Is there actual competition between the two for customers or is it a different base?

Thanks,
    Jan 23 10:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy ConocoPhillips And Drip The Dividends For Years [View article]
    NV:

COP's most recent ex-div date was 10/10/13.

Last year's first-quarter ex-div date was 2/14/13. It was announced only eight days earlier, which is the norm for the company.

So were I to do a rough guess-timate, I'd figure an announcement of the next dividend to be the week of Feb. 3-7 and the ex-div date to be the week of Feb. 10-14. Give or take a week on either side.

Jan 22 11:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy ConocoPhillips And Drip The Dividends For Years [View article]
    gear:

There are two completely different situations that are both referred to as dripping.

One, there is an actual DRiP -- a dividend reinvestment plan -- run by a company or an administrator such as Computershare. You sign up for the plan, make an initial purchase and have the chance to make small monthly (or twice-monthly) investments in the stock. Then, when the dividends get paid every 3 months, those get automatically reinvested. The best plans do not charge for any of this. Some charge nominal amounts. Some charge too freakin' much.

The type of situation to which you are referring is instructing your broker -- Schwab, in your case -- to reinvest dividends on one or more stocks. Every 3 months, your dividend automatically buys more shares of the same company. Most mainstream brokerages do not charge for this. The best even buy partial shares. With Vanguard (my brokerage), I can go online and turn dripping on and off whenever I want on whichever stocks I want. It's not a DRiP plan, but most folks (me included) informally call it "dripping" as shorthand for dividend reinvestment.

The biggest difference is that actual DRiPs allow investors to buy very small quantities of stock -- some as little as $25 -- at regular intervals without paying any commissions.

In my estimation, the biggest downside of DRiPs (even the good ones) is pretty much all of them charge fees on the sell side. I wrote an earlier comment explaining my backdoor way around this fee -- when you are done accumulating shares, simply transfer the entire amount over to your brokerage. If that interests you, you should always check with both the DRiP administrator and your brokerage before opening a DRiP.

Good luck.

Jan 22 09:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks For 2014: Growth And Income Part 3 [View article]
    vis:

I am full-up on TGT ... bought it a few months too soon. Holding for now, but I gotta admit that it's testing my resolve!!

IBM has to get to 175 for me to even start calculating how seriously I'm interested. If the second number in the price is a 6, well, now you're talkin'. I think its moat isn't what it used to be and there are some other fairly basic questions, but not enough to make me say, "No way in hell."

Jan 22 09:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks For 2014: Growth And Income Part 3 [View article]
    I topped off my WMT at 75, FWIW.

Jan 22 09:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy ConocoPhillips And Drip The Dividends For Years [View article]
    G:

Thanks for the info on DUK. I will check it out.

Jan 22 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Even Amidst The Retail Slaughter, Wal-Mart Is A Buy [View article]
    Topped off my WMT yesterday at 75.

Jan 22 11:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks For 2014: Growth And Income Part 3 [View article]
    Another incredibly useful article, Chuck.

One of these days, I might actually buy IBM. Given its dive the last two days, I'm glad that day wasn't three days ago!

Jan 22 09:44 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy ConocoPhillips And Drip The Dividends For Years [View article]
    Ex:

Thanks for the link to Tim's article. I have found Computershare to be OK. Biggest gripe is that they are a bit slow to put my funds to work. I had gotten used to PG's in-house DRiP ... and now they are with Computershare, too.

Having said that, Computershare is becoming the biggest fish in this sea, and they do administer many fee-free DRiPs. I only have LMT right now, but maybe I'll add one or two more in the not-too-distant future.

Jan 21 11:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy ConocoPhillips And Drip The Dividends For Years [View article]
    gap:

Even a blind squirrel ...

Jan 21 10:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shed Some Tiers Over Your Income Portfolio [View article]
    100% correctamundo, Miz!

Jan 21 10:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks 2014: Investing For Growth - The Power And Protection Of High Compounding Earnings Growth - Part 2 [View article]
    Chuck:

I have several companies I can say that about. I absolutely love Costco but every time I think, "Maybe I should buy some," it's P/E is 25 or higher and I just can't do it. Plenty others out there like that, too, and SBUX certainly is one of them. I wish Howard Schultz would realize that my daughter wouldn't be on this earth if not for me and give me some shares, too!

Jan 21 02:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    Several years ago, my son and I went to the Baseball Hall of Fame. When we were finished, we went to McDonald's. Our double-cheeseburgers were so good -- hot and wonderfully greasy -- and our fries were so crisp and hot, that I asked to speak to the manager after our meal.

He approached me somewhat nervously and I said, "I just want to tell you that was the best meal we have had at McDonald's in a long time. Everything was cooked perfectly. I figured if people want to talk to the manager if they have something to complain about, the least I could do was talk to the manager to offer praise."

By the look on his face, I'm sure it made his day. And if he shared it with his employees, it made their day, too.

And I wasn't lying. It was tasty!

Jan 21 01:56 PM | 18 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    cast:

You are free to invest your money using any moral guidelines you choose.

But if you are only going to invest in companies that pay their employees excellent wages and are good to them in every respect, you will not be able to invest in many companies.

Jan 21 01:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment