Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Optimize Your Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Rich:

Your thesis underscores why I speculate very little.

I simply am not comfortable enough in the role of speculator to do it properly. So for now at least, I'll leave that to you and chowder and the many others who are confident in their ability to do it. My personality lends itself to something closer to buy-and-hold, which I guess is why -- for me -- I disagree strongly with "there are no long-term positions."

Oct 31, 2014. 07:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The New Nifty Fifty, Part 3: Dividend Growth Ideas And Valuations [View article]
    IZZ:

That was great stuff. These smart pros know where their bread should be buttered!

Oct 31, 2014. 05:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    II:

I actually picked both my Top 10 and my Nifty Fifty before I received the selections of any of the panelists. I wanted to stay true to the mission but also wanted to touch all the sectors. My only beef with the DGI Dozen is that 7 of the stocks are consumer companies. I love my consumer stocks, but that's too many!

I thought about both V and MA but when I decided upon COST I didn't want to have two low-yielders in there.

Oct 31, 2014. 05:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike:

Obviously I'm not too distraught about GE's management or else I would have sold long ago. Just through inertia -- and through my stubborn willingness to hold it through the worst of times -- it has become an overweight position for me.

In every relationship that has trust issues, regaining that trust always takes time. I have been very encouraged by the growth of the dividend these last several years and I hope it continues. I also like what's been done lately regarding the financial arm of the company.

GE is a polarizing stock here on Seeking Alpha. What I have found is that those who bought it above the current price are generally more wary than those who bought it much cheaper. I probably wouldn't have any trust issues if I had bought it at 17 or 13 or 7! But I bought it at 30 ... and, being a human being, it is natural for me to want to see it get back there and beyond before I can give GE my heart again!

Oct 31, 2014. 05:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    dn:

That would have been a great time to buy QCOM. I wish I had done the same!

Oct 31, 2014. 05:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Emerald:

Thanks. It looks like you know what you want from your investments. Always good to have a plan.

Oct 31, 2014. 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Boom:

We're always happy to have your money in our market!

You probably feel the same about me holding a handful of Canadian stocks.

Thanks for reading.

Oct 31, 2014. 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Paul:

I agree that it's confirmation ... that we have some pretty sharp folks around these parts.

I actually was surprised about how many different ideas were offered up within the DGI framework.

Thanks for your kind words. I always value your opinions.

Oct 31, 2014. 05:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    mbn:

The ideal top 10 is the one that's ideal for each individual investor!

Oct 31, 2014. 05:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Glen:

What a comment! It should be read Across the Universe by everyone, including Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam.

Look at What You're Doing to me. I mean, I wasn't doing this Yesterday!

I Want To Tell You, I really need Help!

Oct 31, 2014. 05:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Full disclosure, everyone:

Scott is my guru when it comes to the "extra share" concept. He and I discussed that concept more than a year ago in private messages and have discussed it many times since. I use the technique often. Heck, I might even write about it one day because Scott is too shy to do so!

Oct 31, 2014. 05:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    U.P.:

I used to be super stubborn and would stick to my price. After awhile, though, I got sick of losing out on great companies over a dollar -- or even a matter of pennies.

If I really want a company, I am much more flexible. If it's one that's not part of my core, though, I will still try to be pretty strict on my value points.

Oct 31, 2014. 05:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rk:

Yes, I get charged a commission on each purchase and unfortunately it isn't super-cheap -- it's $9.99. That's one of the reasons why I wait 2 or 3 or sometimes even 4 pay periods before I make the purchase.

They do drip for free, including partial shares, so that helps.

Oct 31, 2014. 05:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    chowdah, martin, mbn:

<<I see nothing wrong with owning COST and you can always balance the yield by also buying some T. Every position doesn't have to meet the same criteria. It's how the pieces fit together that is important.>>

I agree. Before I buy anything, I like to see how it fits the overall portfolio.

<<The key was to first build the "core", or foundation, of the portfolio. This takes time. Once this is in place, one can branch out into other areas.>>

This is kind of where I am right now, and it's why I'm thinking more seriously about the likes of COST.

<<AAPL is my growth stock that also pays a dividend.>>

I like that thought. I'd put SBUX, V, MA, COST and many other great companies in that group.

Thanks for the good conversation, guys.

Oct 31, 2014. 05:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Robert:

Very nice of you to say. Thanks.

Oct 31, 2014. 05:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment