Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Verizon Currently On The Clearance Rack, Time To Buy [View article]
    I added to both last week on the dips. Two companies to own for decades, IMHO.

Dec 24, 2014. 09:38 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who Is The Devil? Will Gilead Fall Or Soar In 2015? [View article]
    alex:

<<What you state about insurance companies footing the bill is correct but eventually it causes higher insurance premiums for individuals.>>

Exactly.

It's like saying "the government" is paying for something when actually it is the taxpayers paying for it.

Dec 24, 2014. 08:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    Eric:

I fully acknowledge that Mussina is a borderline pick, kind of in the Tommy John, Jim Kaat, Jack Morris mold.

He is another example as a mostly symbolic choice on my part because he has less than a 1% chance of ever getting enshrined.

I certainly could cut my list in half if I were to only vote for guys who I thought had a prayer of getting in.

Dec 24, 2014. 07:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    PTI:

I have nothing to do with the veteran's committee. That is a small group of current Hall of Famers and old-time media folks.

By putting so few people into the Hall, however, the veterans committee is confirming the efficacy of BBWAA voting process.

Hodges was before my time. But he failed to get enough votes from the BBWAA electorate for 15 consecutive years, and now he has failed to get enough votes from the veterans committee for several more years. So I guess a whole lot of people -- including his peers -- disagree with you that he should be a Hall of Famer.

Dec 24, 2014. 07:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    PTI:

If you clicked on the link to my 2013 post, you saw I had some of the same misgivings about Mussina. He was consistently good for a lot of years, but I can foresee there being years in the future where I don't vote for him.

See? We can all have fun debating this stuff.

Unlike DGI, in which I am a relative neophyte, I am an old hack as a baseball observer and have been voting for the Hall of Fame since the mid-90s. So I get the last word here - ha!

Dec 23, 2014. 11:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    Chowdah:

An anti-Yankee rule would make it rough since it seems about 50% of the players in MLB don the pinstripes at some point in their careers!

Dec 23, 2014. 08:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    goodies:

Well, we are supposed to consider the candidates' integrity and sportsmanship, too. And certainly juicing would eliminate them on those grounds. However, those qualifiers have largely been ignored, which is why the Hall has its share of wife-beaters, racists, spitballers and other miscreants.

Dec 23, 2014. 08:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    U.P.

Piazza arguably is the best offensive catcher in baseball history.

One of the fun things about HoF is everybody's an expert and everybody loves to opine.

The only difference here is I'm the one with the vote - ha!

Dec 23, 2014. 08:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 10 Stocks For A Young Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Integrator:

I own COP and think it is a worthwhile company. Probably more semantics over "moat" than anything else.

Dec 23, 2014. 08:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My 10 Stocks For A Young Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    I kind of agree with Mark. Of the companies on this list, COP has one of the least reliable, sustainable "moats."

Costco, now that's a company with a deep, shark-infested moat! Its business model is second to none, and nobody's really been able to replicate it.

DIS, SBUX, JNJ, V ... they have some nice moats, too.

Dec 23, 2014. 07:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High Yield + High Growth + Dividend Champion = Purchase Candidates [View article]
    Another problem with AFL is that while its dividend growth looks good on 15- and 10- and even 5-year charts, the fact is that it has had consecutive hikes of less than 6%. That's respectable, but it's disappointing for a company with such a low yield and a low payout ratio. I happen to agree with the formula of High Yield + High Growth. So when you have a 2.5% yield and sub-6% growth, it doesn't cut it.

I sold my AFL in October 2013 and its price is still lower than what I sold for. Glad I'm out, and I see no real reason to rush back in.

I am very intrigued by HP, though. When oil prices rise, which they inevitably will, this one has "double" written all over it. I'm just trying to decide when to get in. I was greedy when it briefly went under 60 and was hoping to get it in the mid-50s, but I'll definitely grab at least a nibble if it gets back to the low-60s. The 4.25% yield mark is $64.70. I already own so much energy, though, that I really want to get a "deal"!

Otherwise, long MO, KO, CVX, XOM, JNJ, PEP, PG and TGT, with most being core holdings.

Dec 23, 2014. 07:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best S&P 500 Energy Stocks According To Graham Principles: ConocoPhillips [View article]
    Ana:

There are more "correct" ways to spell Chanukah than there are nights of Hanukkah!

Dec 23, 2014. 04:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Values Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Let's do it after the New Year. I'll message you in January when things settle down.

Dec 23, 2014. 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    FOR ALL INTERESTED ...

I know there are lots of baseball fans who frequent this site, too. As a Lifetime member of the Baseball Writers Association of America, I vote for the Hall of Fame, and I just mailed in my ballot.

I discussed my selections on my blog, The Baldest Truth: Mailed in my Baseball Hall of Fame ballot yesterday. Here are my choices, along with my personal policy when it comes to considering juicers.

Dec 23, 2014. 04:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Values Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    AA:

Dead Lobster ... noooooo!!!

Otherwise: Thanks, and back at ya.

Dec 23, 2014. 03:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment