Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • I'm Buying W.P. Carey For The Long Haul [View article]
    als:

WRE ... now there's a four-letter word. I almost bought that dog about two days before it slashed its divvy. It was a good eye-opener for me!!

Apr 15 10:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Buying W.P. Carey For The Long Haul [View article]
    Thanks for the response, Brad.

I'm not a buyer at 60, or even 55, but that's just me. I can see why you and others would buy here.

I am happy with the REIT exposure I have but I would jump in at 50 -- as I'm sure many others would, too!

Apr 15 10:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Costco The Strongest Large U.S. Retailer? [View article]
    Portage:

I used to live on the north side of Chicago. When there was word we were going to get a Costco not far away in 2000, I was like, "Yeah, that will be the day I pay to shop." I had gone into a couple of Sam's Clubs and was not impressed.

But I did check it out, and from the very first time I stepped into the store, I was blown away by the prices, the selection and the presentation. No, they don't carry everything that most big-box stores do; not even close. But they have a great sense of what they SHOULD carry, and then they price it so attractively that it's hard to resist buying it. For example, we used to do a lot of clothes shopping at Marshalls and TJMaxx. But Costco has better stuff at better prices, and now I just about never go into those stores.

And don't even get me started about the return policy. You can return just about anything anytime. They rarely even ask why. I have returned things that broke 2 years after I bought them. You even can return your membership for a full refund, even on the 364th day of the year. Not many businesses anywhere treats the customer with more respect.

For all of my Costco love, however, I do not own the stock. Every time I've thought about buying it -- which is often -- it's just been too richly valued. As is the case again. If it falls back to double-digits, I'll finally bite ... but I'm not holding my breath.

Apr 15 08:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    gratian:

Zero risk for Buffett. As I said, when you can lose 90% of everything you own and still be one of the 500 richest men in the world, you don't need to worry too much about making a mistake or two in your portfolio.

Apr 15 08:01 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    chowdah:

With those 9 players, any combination would strong up the middle. And on the corners. And on the mound. And behind the plate.

Brad:

Let JNJ worry about growing its dividend nicely this month. I'll worry about keeping my players healthy!

Apr 15 08:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    chowdah:

Indeed, BRK lost half its value between Dec 2007 and Feb 2009. Pity the poor souls who needed to sell shares so they could pay their mortgage, utilities, college costs, etc.

PG, MMM, JNJ, KO, etc., lost plenty of value then, too. But if one didn't have to sell because one was living off the dividends, those would have only been paper losses. The investor would have been rewarded nicely for hanging in there and not selling a single share.

Apr 15 04:20 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    DVK:

No worries about "thread-stepping." Maybe it even got me a couple more pageviews to help fund my WSOP career!

Apr 15 03:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Is Total Return A Useful Metric? [View article]
    WDGI ... maybe that should be our radio station's call letters for the big Dividend Growth Investing hour!!
    Apr 15 03:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Is Total Return A Useful Metric? [View article]
    DVK:

I got it, but only because your sense of humor is as warped as mine is.

Apr 15 02:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Costco The Strongest Large U.S. Retailer? [View article]
    There are two reasons Costco prevails despite selling gas at a loss and food at break-even:

++ Thanks to membership dues, which are paid each year in advance, COST is guaranteed huge profits without selling a thing.

++ Costco has amazing loyalty among customers, as a huge percentage of each year's members sign up again the following year. Of course, this is why there is concern about Millennials being less loyal -- Costco needs to collect those dues year in and year out from everybody.

Nice work on the article.

Apr 15 12:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Brad:

Hey, every great ballplayer of the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s not only smoked but served as a spokesman for one brand or another. Ah, the good old days, when men were men and life expectancy was 52!

As for being old, I prefer the terms "experienced" and "seasoned."

And sure, GIS at SS would nicely with that good all-around game!

Apr 15 12:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Pt & Brad:

I wholeheartedly agree with that, too, and it's why I ended up settling on DGI. It just makes sense to me, calms me, feels right to me. I am comfortable with it, and that's worth a lot to me.

Apr 15 12:12 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Brad:

I wasn't going to steal Eddie's thunder by throwing a thread for my article in here, but since you asked ... http://seekingalpha.co...

BTW, I since have promoted WEC to superstar status while taking some profits on WAG.

Apr 15 12:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Paul:

You're probably right, but I like to surround my stars with good role players, just as a coach/GM does!

Apr 15 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Buying W.P. Carey For The Long Haul [View article]
    Brad:

Surely (and yeah, I shouldn't call you Shirley), I think you'd agree every company that has raised divvies for 15 years doesn't automatically deserve to trade at a premium. I can think of many I wouldn't buy even at a discount, let alone when they are overvalued.

That being said, you obviously believe WPC does, and you stated your case for it quite thoroughly in this article. Nice job.

Apr 15 12:06 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment