Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Stocks Are Not In A Bubble, But Many Of Them Are Pricey [View article]
    chowdah and maybe:

It's only Thanksgiving Eve, but I already have my first New Year's resolution: Throw some money into a Fidelity account so I have access to the Jefferson Reports, StarMine and S&P Capital IQ. Those, along with Value Line and maybe FAST Graphs, should help me greatly on my DGI journey.

Hell, I probably will do it in December. Why wait for 2015???

Nov 26, 2014. 08:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Ltd.: My Game Plan For Tomorrow [View article]
    RS:

Many companies might be SDRLs in the making, but many also are high-quality companies with long track records of earnings and dividend growth and of modest debt.

When one invests in a company with a huge uncovered dividend and a mountain of debt, one is speculating big-time. Add in the fact that the "trusted" CEO already had run a major company into the ground.

I take no joy in the angst that SDRL investors are feeling today. I've made bad investments, too, and they hurt.

Nov 26, 2014. 08:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • With Dividends 'The First Cut Is The Deepest' - Or Is It? [View article]
    chowdah:

Very wise words. And I will confirm everything you said about SDRL. It was a spec play from the start based on hoped-for cap gains, and you sold as soon as the resources you rely upon said its financial strength was weakening. All of which is a wonderful lesson for those of us who are less experienced.

As an aside, I worry a lot about the folks who have a huge chunk of their portfolios tied up in the likes of SDRL, BDCs, certain MLPs and mREITs. I hope those investors really know what they've gotten themselves into.

I had small stakes in LNCO and PSEC because I was seduced by the yield, but I soon sold when I realized I didn't understand what I had invested in. I should have realized that before I even bought, but I wasn't experienced enough back then. I would not make those same mistakes now that I focus on quality.

But that's just me. Folks will invest the way they want to or feel they need to, and I will wish all of us good fortune.

Nov 26, 2014. 08:17 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Dividend Challengers Should Carry Warning Labels: "Caution! Not Recession Tested!" [View article]
    chowdah, Miguel:

I am thrilled to be able to help some of my fellow investors.

Chowdah, you helped teach me the importance of placing quality above everything. You and I have some differences in philosophy, but not many, and certainly not about quality!

Miguel, glad you were able to get out of SDRL before things got really ugly!!

Nov 26, 2014. 06:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth: Seeking Alpha Style Vs. The Professional [View article]
    Boom:

Dave Van Knapp has an ongoing series about the varios DG ETFs and funds and he has come to the same conclusion so far. His latest was about VDIGX.

Nov 26, 2014. 05:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    chowdah:

SDRL's CEO has stolen the mantle of Most Likely To Lie About Dividend from GE's CEO!

Nov 26, 2014. 05:46 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Ltd.: My Game Plan For Tomorrow [View article]
    BT:

If the Investopedia definition is the accepted one, SDRL has been a falling knife for months.

Today was an absolute bloodbath.

Nov 26, 2014. 05:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Ltd.: My Game Plan For Tomorrow [View article]
    th3:

Yes, if the suffering of others entertains you, it is highly entertaining.

You must have really gotten a kick out of all the people losing their jobs and homes during the recession. What an entertaining time!

Nov 26, 2014. 05:33 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Ltd.: My Game Plan For Tomorrow [View article]
    fs:

I believe that the CEO is either incompetent or a liar. But what I believe isn't important.

Maybe the company will hit bottom and then zoom to great heights ... despite its own CFO saying it would be two years before the deepwater industry can really start making money again.

Wow ... tough times.

Nov 26, 2014. 05:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Advantage Of Deere's Small Dip From Excellency [View article]
    mj:

If I sounded snippy, I apologize.

DE is in the news today. I am a willing buyer if it reaches a certain price. I was checking it out. And I probably inferred something I shouldn't have from your earlier comment - one of the hazards of this kind of communication vs. an actual conversation!

Nov 26, 2014. 01:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Advantage Of Deere's Small Dip From Excellency [View article]
    mj:

I was curious so I looked it up. I look at my portfolio every single day, even though I rarely take action and very, very rarely sell.

Didn't know I needed permission!

Nov 26, 2014. 01:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth: Seeking Alpha Style Vs. The Professional [View article]
    Boom:

Thanks for that. VDIGX is even less reliable as a dividend grower than I thought.

I wish success for all who own it or want to own it. I will continue to pass as it does not jibe with my investing goals.

Nov 26, 2014. 01:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Ltd.: My Game Plan For Tomorrow [View article]
    fs:

<<Fredriksen said that "I am confident that Seadrill will emerge from this downturn even stronger and that we will resume our distributions in the future".>>

Really? Are shareholders supposed to be calmed and/or reassured by the statements of a CEO who has been lying repeatedly?

I wish all SDRL holders the best of luck.

Nov 26, 2014. 12:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Advantage Of Deere's Small Dip From Excellency [View article]
    DE's price action today has been interesting.

Closed yesterday at 87.79. Opened today at 85.00. Moved down almost immediately to 84.45. As I write this, it's at 87.03.

DE might give me a chance below 80. But it might not. Either way, I'm cool with it. I'm not selling DE tomorrow or next month, and I'm probably not selling it next year. Next decade? That's a long time from now, but the plan is to still be a shareholder.

Nov 26, 2014. 12:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth: Seeking Alpha Style Vs. The Professional [View article]
    Dale:

<<The fund simply does not appear to mind the occasional hold or small cut.>>

The fund cut the dividend 31% in 2008. That is not my definition of "small," but maybe it is yours. The fund might not appear to mind that cut, but I would. VDIGX alsocut the dividend 7% in 2010; I'd call that small but I'd still be disappointed in it.

My goal is to live off my dividends, Social Security payments and small pensions. I want to be able to depend on my DG companies. A cut by one or two or even four of my companies would not be fatal -- that is why I diversify and hold 30+ stocks in a variety of sectors -- but it would be less than optimal.

However, if my sole DG holding was a DG fund that not only stopped G-ing the D but actually cut the D by 31%, that would be seriously troublesome.

Again, it all comes down to what an investor wants from his/her portfolio. I would agree with you and others that DGIVX very well might be a fine fund for many; but I would contend that, for a DG investor, it would not be an appropriate substitute for a well-chosen portfolio of high-quality, reliable dividend-growing companies

Nov 26, 2014. 11:24 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment