Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Chowdah:

My relatively small positions to "juice the yield" are in HCN, OHI, NNN, BBL, BCE and MAIN. I don't think there's a dog in that group, and only MAIN would be really speculative -- and some might argue even that isn't.

I also like to "juice the yield" with T, O, VZ, PM, MO ... you get the picture. I've become quite boring as an investor when T and PM are my "yield-juicers"!!

Jan 24, 2015. 12:12 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Chowdah:

As a former member of the press, I totally reject the "distraction" excuse just about always. And I really reject it Super Bowl week, when the participants actually are mostly insulated from the media.

The media has access to the players for a total of about 4 hours that week, and it's not even every player on both teams. Meanwhile, the other 164 hours are spent doing team functions or sleeping. Unless players specifically pursue opportunities to be with the media or the public, they can almost totally avoid the media and public.

I highly doubt that as the Patriots' left guard is blocking for Brady in the game, he stops for 3 seconds and says to himself, "I feel so distracted by those media questions from 5 days ago" and lets up a sack in the process.

"Distractions" is a loser's excuse. And the Patriots are not losers.

More likely, Belichick and Brady will use this as motivation: "It's us against the world! Everybody hates us! The only people who believe in us are right in this room!"

In other words, I actually think it will be a positive for them.

I can promise you, however, that if the Patriots do lose this game, several media mopes will be asking the players if they were distracted. Ugh.

Jan 24, 2015. 12:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • There's A Lot Of Value In The Information Technology Sector: The S&P 500 2015: Part 3 [View article]
    at:

I loves me some COST. I am much less personally familiar with AAPL -- I own a 6-year-old iPod but otherwise no Apple stuff -- but of course I know how good a company Apple has been.

I have roughly the same amount of AAPL as I do COST. Both were purchased when I began my DG50 project.

Jan 23, 2015. 04:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Paul:

As usual, you provide an insightful comment chock full of information and resources. Thanks a ton.

Of course, the amount of technical gobblegoop in those articles makes me wonder if I should be investing in QCOM at all! I have to remind myself that I only need to understand the basics of a business and not every intricate detail.

I do think there is a little guessing going on in some of those comments, and I always get nervous when a pundit says such-and-such factor is already "baked into the price." So often, when the news comes to fruition, the market proves there was nothing baked in at all.

And naturally you are right about earnings not telling me about the future. But let's see what they say. We can get some hints from past data, and even more importantly companies often provide forward guidance when presenting their earnings.

QCOM is on my watch list. I do not like the Samsung news. I have to decide if I need to lower my buy zone and, if so, by how much. And ultimately I have to decide if I want to add it to a portfolio that is fairly diverse aside from an absence of technology.

Jan 23, 2015. 04:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Michael:

You do realize that sometimes stocks that double then go on to double again ... and again ... and again, right?

I imagine there are an awful lot of people who are kicking themselves for selling MO the first time it doubled!

Jan 23, 2015. 04:19 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    Michael:

<<Let me ask you a question. If you bought a stock yielding 4% and it's price doubled in a year, would you hang onto that stock with a current yield of 2%? Or would you sell it and buy another stock of the same quality yielding 4%?>>

I will let Robert answer for himself, but I will answer as to what I would do.

If I still like the company's fundamentals and if I ccnsider it a high-quality company with a sustainable moat (which I would because otherwise I would have sold it or not bought it in the first place), I absolutely would hold it regardless of the yield.

And I say that as an investor who couldn't tell you the YOC of a single company I have ever purchased, as I don't use that metric.

My focus is on quality first. Every time I have veered from that, it has gotten me in trouble, so I got smart enough to stop veering. I will have more than enough without hunting for yield.

But then again, I am not yet retired and still have a few years to go, so I know my answer isn't applicable to everyone.

Jan 23, 2015. 11:41 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Plow:

Thanks for the IBM suggestion. Not my fave but maybe it merits another look.

Jan 23, 2015. 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Have We Reached The Point Of Irrational Exuberance In The Utilities Sector? [View article]
    Miguel & Eric:

I am sure that the same folks who have been predicting an imminent correction/crash/meltdown since 2012 are at it again.

Of course, they will be right ... eventually. A bear market always follows a bull. Investors in the '80s and '90s knew a bear was coming, too. It only took the dot-com crash of 2000 for it to actually arrive.

Unless one is very comfortable holding a ton of cash, I don't see much choice but to enjoy the ride this bull is giving us. It might end Monday ... or 100+ Mondays from now.

Jan 23, 2015. 09:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, Eric. I had read those articles.

I'm waiting for QCOM's earnings next week before deciding anything, though right now I'm leaning toward letting my small stake that's in the DG50 stand as my QCOM holding for the foreseeable future.

Jan 23, 2015. 09:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the suggestions, all.

I absolutely will wait until after QCOM's earnings next week to even consider buying, but I'm not sure I'll buy at all.

I agree with yestoeverything that Cisco looks interesting but it hadn't been on my watch list so I've got to find time to check it out more thoroughly. I also like the AAPL suggestion. Not sure on INTC, but that might be more of an emotional reaction than a rational one -- it also probably merits another look.

Jan 23, 2015. 09:47 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Wow, does QCOM look attractive here. I was all ready to pull the trigger and even put in a realistic limit order. But then word came out that Samsung was no longer going to use QCOM chips for its Galaxy 6. That is a major hit, especially combined with the Chinese regulatory silliness that has dragged on for quite some time.

I know the China issue helped keep QCOM's price down, but it didn't worry me all that much. The Samsung thing ... I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where my buy zone should be now -- or if I want it at all. I've canceled my limit order while I try to figure things out.

I have almost no tech exposure, so I'm also trying to figure out where to put my money if I don't go with QCOM. I guess the "thrill of the chase" is part of the fun!

Jan 22, 2015. 11:20 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    <<Remember how many times Kirk asked Scottie for 105% engine power?>>

I'll do what I can, Captain, but she's breaking up!
    Jan 22, 2015. 12:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    Argyll:

I was using Dave Fish's definition of a frozen dividend: one that was maintained but not raised.

Hey, I own MAIN. Obviously I value it in my portfolio or I would sell it. I just don't want as much MAIN as any blue chip I own. Others are allowed to disagree with no hard feelings!

Jan 22, 2015. 12:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Use Loyal3 To Create A Zero-Cost Dividend Growth Portfolio: The 10 Best Brands [View article]
    mg:

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to get my daughter into something like this.

Jan 22, 2015. 12:16 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Eric:

That is a good one-paragraph analysis. I have yet to decide upon my confidence level with QCOM at this point and if I need to adjust my buy zone to reflect the news of the day.

Jan 22, 2015. 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment