Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How To Be Sure You Won't End Up Eating Cat Food In Your Retirement [View article]
    Robert:

I agree. It won't be.

Jul 5, 2015. 10:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Growth Investors Livin' Too Large? [View article]
    RAS:

As usual, you have some of the best ideas on this site!

I think I also will stop wasting time by beating my head against a brick wall!

Jul 5, 2015. 10:20 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Favorite Utility Stock: 41 Consecutive Years Of Increased Dividends [View article]
    Peace:

One way or another, we, the taxpayers, almost always pay.

Jul 5, 2015. 07:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    My wife and I just got back from a week-long trip. Our neighbor was taking care of our wonderful pup, Simmie. The neighbor has 2 cats, and Simmie decided she liked the cat food better than her dog food. At first, she was eating just cat food. Gradually, my neighbor began to mix more and more dog food in with the cat food.

When my wife told me this and showed me the food that was left in Simmie's bowl upon our return, I dumped it, scooped in a portion of the dog food and said: "Simmie will learn how to eat her dog food again, or she will be hungry. I know that, in the end, she will choose not to be hungry."

No cat food for me upon retirement. No cat food for my dog now!

Jul 5, 2015. 07:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Measuring The Success Of Your Dividend Portfolio [View article]
    Neurology:

V and SBUX were chosen as part of the DG50 by the panel of 10 Seeking Alpha contributors I put together; most on the panel were at least as old as me (I'm 54). Even though they didn't make the final 50, MA, DIS, BRK, COST and others were on some panelists' lists. (http://seekingalpha.co...)

And my recent No. 1 Stock In The World series (http://seekingalpha.co...), this time with 15 panelists of all ages, included DIS, V, BRK, GILD, CTSH, MDT and HON.

There are lots of ways to execute DGI.

Jul 5, 2015. 06:58 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Growth Investors Livin' Too Large? [View article]
    Uber:

You want to say I make multiple errors, and that is your prerogative.

I will say you make only one error: Insisting that you are right and everybody else is wrong.

Jul 4, 2015. 06:58 AM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Growth Investors Livin' Too Large? [View article]
    TR:

I wasn't trying to use any particular figures. I was just throwing out numbers as an example. I'm comfortable with my strategy, especially the psychological and common-sense aspects of it. I do appreciate your input, though. You always offer insight with your comments.

Jul 4, 2015. 06:57 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Doc:

<<If my portfolio pays me a yield of 5%, which gives me $300K in income, and the market drops, I will still get that $300K of income, as long as my stocks don't cut their dividends.>>

I wonder if there has been a study of dividend cuts/eliminations during various recessions for stocks paying 5% or more.

IMHO, it's reasonable to expect JNJ and MMM to keep raising their divvies; far less reasonable to expect the same from REITs (especially newer ones), BDCs, mREITs, MLPs and other high yielders.

Our yield is 3.75% and I base my assumptions going forward on a 3-3.5% yield. Yes, I am pretty conservative, but I'd rather have a positive surprise than a negative one!

Jul 4, 2015. 06:51 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Doc:

First, ignore those who try to make you feel guilty for paying for your kids' college costs. That was one of your goals and you have been determined to make it a reality. I think it is a wonderful gift to help the kids graduate with no debt. We had it as a goal, too, and we accomplished it. It required some sacrifice on all of our parts -- we didn't go on as many big vacations and had much less stuff than many of our kids' peers. My kids didn't have their own TVs; we had no video games; they didn't get cellphones till they were in high school; my daughter didn't get her driver's license till she was 18 and my son still doesn't have one by choice (he's 27 now); neither got a car; we NEVER bought them designer clothes; we didn't pay a penny toward their prom clothes or tickets; etc. Instead, they got the gift of being debt-free going into their adulthood. I'm very proud of that decision.

As for spoiling our kids, well, that's always in the eyes of the beholder. You say your kids are spoiled -- and you would know. Your assumption that they will be off your teet upon graduation might be hoping for a lot given that they have depended on you for everything financial for all these years, but here's hoping you're right. We have friends who are still paying for their kids' major expenses -- and their kids are 30+ years old!

I do hope your kids realize how truly lucky they are!!

Jul 4, 2015. 06:47 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Growth Investors Livin' Too Large? [View article]
    TF:

<<Investment strategy is almost irrelevant (aside from a strong preference for equities when you need growth).>>

Excellent point. When I was younger, I did not know how to invest at all. I couldn't pick stocks and I couldn't even pick funds with any intelligence. I just socked my 401k into a couple of funds and contributed the max every year.

Lo and behold, by the time I left that company, that account was worth a pretty good piece of change.

Now, I was fortunate in that it was mostly a bull market during those years, but still, the mere act of plowing money into that account helped build a nice little stash.

I'm quite sure I would have done far better if I had known then what I know now, but I still did OK thanks to the simple act of investing as much as I could.

Jul 3, 2015. 12:31 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Growth Investors Livin' Too Large? [View article]
    Uber:

<<I fail to see what's so difficult about knowing when your portfolio's total value has reached a pre-defined amount?

Also what's so hard about knowing the current dividend yield that can be easily gained out of a collection of etf's?>>

Let's say I know I need to start spending my income from investments on Jan. 1, 2018. And let's say I am a total-return investor now and I know I need to have $2 million accumulated to reach my income goal of $60K annually. I can just work toward that $2 million mark and convert to a DGI strategy on Dec. 1, 2017, right?

Sure ... as long as the market doesn't tank between next week and Dec. 1, 2017. I was planning to grow my portfolio from $1.4 million today to $2 million on Dec. 1, 2017. But the bear market ended up shrinking my portfolio from $1.4 million to $800,000 (which actually is less of a hit than SPY took in 2007-09). So on Dec. 1, 2017, I only have 800K to convert to a DGI strategy -- and that will come nowhere near covering my income needs on Jan. 1, 2018.

However, let's say I have been in DGI for many years and I am on track through dividend growth and periodic investments to grow my annual income stream from today's $44K to $60K on Jan. 1, 2018. As long as I stick to my plan, I am highly likely to achieve my income goal -- regardless of whether the market is a bear, a bull or sideways. And I can begin enjoying my stress-free, financially sound retirement. Ahhh!

This also says nothing about the psychological difficulty of taking $2 million and investing it all at once in DG stocks. What if the market keeps going up and everything is considered extremely overvalued. How easy will it be for any investor to take that $2 million and buy 1,000 shares off this DG stock and 1,000 shares of that DG stock?

Bottom line: I'm sticking with building an income stream over time by investing in high-quality, proven, dividend-growing companies. It is a common-sense strategy that fits my investing personality.

I fully understand others might want to invest differently and I would never try to convince a single one of those others that DGI is the only way.

Jul 3, 2015. 12:25 PM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • W.P. Carey: A Classic Blue Chip REIT [View article]
    I'm not a cat person but I am a Robert Allan Schwartz person!

Jul 3, 2015. 10:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • W.P. Carey: A Classic Blue Chip REIT [View article]
    Paul:

<<And no SA articles earlier in the year warning investors to stay away from it.>>

There were numerous SA articles on how the specter of rising Fed rates could affect REITs. Numerous.

And within those articles -- and many others -- the comment streams will filled with interesting, valuable takes on WPC and other REITs.

Lots and lots and lots of information out there. It is up to each investor to take that information, tailor further research as it fits his/her own situation, and to make buy/sell/hold/ignore decisions.

It's your money, not SA authors' money. As much as I respect most of my SA colleagues, I just about never buy or sell a stock based upon a recommendation. I use such recommendations as triggers to look more in depth at a company.

Stop blaming. Take responsibility for your own fortune.

Jul 3, 2015. 10:44 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Justifying My Position In Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    Exactly.

Justifying a purchase of JNJ is like justifying an attraction to Jessica Alba.

Jul 2, 2015. 08:53 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerson Electric: Not A Utility, Not A Radio Company [View article]
    DS:

Very comprehensive, data-filled article. Thanks.

I bought the first half of my EMR stake at 57-ish after selling WMT (http://seekingalpha.co...). Although it is down, it is down considerably less than WMT over that span. Meanwhile, it has paid more dividends than WMT. All that info is FWIW, as I am a long-term investor and am not really just looking at results from a few months.

I am looking to buy the second half of my stake with proceeds from my sale of GE a couple months ago. I have held that in cash while waiting for EMR and a couple other companies to give me good entry points. My number for EMR is $54.29, a 3.45% yield point that rounds up to 3.5%. Fairly close to that striking.

EMR is a "Role Player" in my portfolio, which is what I call my satellite, or non-core, positions. I am confident that, long-term, I will have been very happy to have invested in EMR at these levels.

Jul 2, 2015. 08:49 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment