Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Let's Talk About The Nifty Fifty And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    south:

I agree with all of this.

I have stated in past discussions with Dave Fish that I wish I had converted at least some of my IRA to a Roth in 2009, after I was laid off and my assets had lost some value.

As for that kind of catastrophic drop being the best time to invest, that of course is true. It's one reason I'm a little reluctant to use the little investable cash I have available when a stock dips 3%. I don't want to be caught without cash when it crashes 30% or more!

Sep 29 12:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Baby Boomers Need Not Fear All-Time Highs In The Market [View article]
    DVK:

Not only don't many retirement-age investors (and other-age investors, for that matter) know their breakdown of stocks vs. bonds, but many who think they are "playing it safe" with an index fund don't have any idea that the S&P 500 is merely a bunch of stocks that was killed in 2007-09.

They don't realize how easy it is to go to the Vanguard or Fidelity sites and pull up the top holdings of their funds so they realize what they have invested in for their sub-2% yield!

Sep 29 11:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gift From Mr. Market: What To Buy In The Big Oils' 10% Pullback [View article]
    DJ:

<<waiting/hoping for CVX to come into my Buy Zone ($120)>>

As I sit here right now, it's at 119.23. So you got your wish!

Sep 29 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Panic, Grab Seadrill Out Of The Bargain Bin Instead [View article]
    Dung:

<<By Seadrill's own admission, the economic environment in drilling for oil & gas is expected to be poor for the next 18 to 24 months.>>

This is an important fact. Many focus on analyst downgrades or magazines or others who can be accused of "having an agenda." But SDRL's own CFO made very bearish statements about the industry and warned about upwards of 2 more years of pain.

I don't own SDRL but it is on my watch list and I do own ESV, so I have felt some of the pain. It's not an easy decision to double down on the pain.

Sep 29 09:35 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: A Comment On Price Vs. Value [View article]
    Occams:

Yeah, but by only 2.1% last February. That's T range, and T has a 5%+ yield.

I want WMT to grow its divvy faster than a utility does.

Still, long WMT (though it's on probation).

Sep 29 09:28 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Illustrating Why Colgate-Palmolive Is A Leveraged Buyout Candidate [View article]
    AP:

CL is one of those companies that I have long wanted to buy but always has seemed too expensive. If I already owned it, however, I would be doing exactly what you're doing: holding and dripping. Maybe one day, I'll just bite the bullet and buy it.

I also agree that a takeover is pretty unlikely.

Finally, a big congrats for receiving the SA Outstanding Performance award for a Feb 2012 article touting WAG. My WAG purchase in June of that year remains one of my all-time best transactions.

Now, quick question: Do you have $2,500 I can borrow?

Sep 29 09:23 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Talk About The Nifty Fifty And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    south:

<<Does anyone know what the marginal tax rate will be in 10, 20, 30 or 40 that would be applicable to their IRA withdrawals or a Roth IRA conversion.

The answer is that no one knows whether those future marginal rates will be higher or lower than what they are paying now.>>

I agree with this, and it's why I think another kind of diversification that is rarely discussed is very important.

My wife and I have Roth IRAs, traditional IRAs, taxable accounts and fixed investments. We know that taxes will have different impacts on all of these accounts. Rather than trying to make difficult (or even impossible) predictions, we simply diversify.

Sep 29 08:41 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Talk About The Nifty Fifty And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Pen:

<<I sold out my stake in Apple when they released the iPod, because going into consumer electronics would doom the company.>>

That's a good one. Hey, all we can do is laugh about such things. Far less painful than crying, and it won't make our mascara run!

Sep 29 08:37 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Talk About The Nifty Fifty And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    chowdah:

Indeed, it's difficult to discuss things with folks who refuse to even try to understand the discussion.

Mike

P.S.: Wait ... you drip? Who knew?
    Sep 29 08:35 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Major Stock Market Selloff Looms As The Fed's QE3 Ends [View article]
    David:

Exactly.

As a bonus, you'll be able to say "I told you they would say 'I told you so'!"

Sep 28 11:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Talk About The Nifty Fifty And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Jerry:

<<I love articles where the author takes a group of stocks that have been selected today because of their performance in the past and use them to show how investing in the successful stocks should duplicate that performance going forward.>>

And I love comments where the commenter makes a judgment of what the author was trying to show but gets the point completely wrong.

Good day.

Sep 28 11:08 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Talk About The Nifty Fifty And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    user:

I have gotten to know a lot of DGIs during my nearly 3 years on this site. And I can confidently say that the vast majority of DGIs - myself included - wouldn't have even considered buying the majority of Nifty Fifty stocks at the time.

Again, you are working a little to hard to assign some different view of what the "point" of my article was.

Sep 28 11:05 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Talk About The Nifty Fifty And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    There is a much better than 50-50 chance that my wife and I will be in a higher tax bracket as retirees than we are now - especially if Roth rules get tinkered with down the line. I happen to think that won't happen, though.

Sep 28 11:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Talk About The Nifty Fifty And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Dave F:

I think you are right about not changing Roth rules and, moreover, I HOPE you are right!

Sep 28 10:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Talk About The Nifty Fifty And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    DMG:

<<I do remember a commenter who missed out on LMT around 81 a few years ago (and I think it was pretty clearly selling at a good value at that point in time) because he was hoping it would drop to 80. >>

Gulp. That was me: http://seekingalpha.co...

And even worse than missing out on LMT and JNJ at incredible prices was that I wrote that article basically patting myself on the back for my "discipline." Ugh.

But I was a DGI neophyte then. I'm no genius now, that's for sure, but I haven't made quite the same mistake since. (Though I have talked myself out of good companies at fair values, to my eventual chagrin.)

Sep 28 10:52 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment