Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    ron:

I love your story, and I congratulate you on pulling it off!

Live long and prosper!!!

Apr 23, 2015. 12:21 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    TF:

Your calculations work wonderfully ... unless you die before 70 (or in your early 70s).

That is the ultimate out-of-my-control calculation. Even seemingly perfectly healthy people die in their 60s.

Even those who live longer usually sustain considerable quality-of-life issues due to poor health. Each of my parents lived until 79 but each started living considerably lower-quality lives many years before they passed.

I'm not saying, "Screw it then, I'm buying 3 Ferraris!" But I am saying, "Money in the hand at 62 is pretty good, and I want to have more money when I can enjoy it the most -- even if I could have received more at 80 by waiting."

I'm only 54 now, so I've got plenty of time to review the pros and cons of all kinds of scenarios, but obviously I am leaning toward "earlier is better." I have heard from literally dozens of fellow Alphites on this subject, and not a single one of them who started taking SS at 62 has said, "I wish I had waited."

Apr 23, 2015. 12:20 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    Dave:

I love, love, love your comment.

Quality of life will be a huge factor when I get to 60-ish and start seriously considering what I will do with Social Security. As I sit here today, it's hard to imagine not taking it at 62.

Apr 23, 2015. 12:12 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Reasons AT&T Is The Better Dividend Investment Than Verizon [View article]
    Paul:

Great insights on comparing T and VZ. Useful info for readers.

T had a mostly nice earnings report and is being rewarded for it today.

I confess to being a tiny bit concerned about the long-term benefits of DTV, given that streaming (or some form of it) is probably the future of TV by next decade. But that's a ways away, and DTV is very profitable now. Obviously I'm not overly concerned or I wouldn't have topped off my stake!

Apr 23, 2015. 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: Pain Purifies [View article]
    Rich:

Nicely done. Your insight on GE has been valuable within the comment streams of the dozens of articles on the subject. And this clarification of what the buyback really means is especially valuable.

Apr 23, 2015. 11:51 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Purchased Schwab's U.S Dividend Equity ETF As A Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    I prefer Earl Weaver ball: Wait for the 3-run homer!

Apr 22, 2015. 11:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: It Is What It Is [View article]
    fernando:

<<Yes this GE game is for big boys and a medium to long term investment so if you can wait and live with a reasonable dividend,stay long if not just get out and look for a fast speculative and volatile stock.!!!!!>>

Those are the only two choices? Either GE or a speculative, volatile stock?

I can't sell GE and buy a company that I perceive to be a better medium- to long-term investment with a reasonable dividend?

Apr 22, 2015. 10:59 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    miss:

REEN ... I like that!

You know me -- I'm all about comfort level for each individual. And I'm definitely not about any one investor imposing his or her strategy on another investor. There are lots of ways to "win"!

Apr 22, 2015. 10:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    Scenic:

I absolutely expect to be bringing in more money after my wife and I start taking Social Security than we bring in today with her working full-time and me freelancing.

It's going to take a little work to finesse taxes and such, but I'm not afraid of a little work and research.

Apr 22, 2015. 10:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: It Is What It Is [View article]
    II:

You know what I used to say?

"You want to know when it's over? As soon as somebody says, 'It ain't over 'til it's over.' That's a SURE sign it's over!"

Apr 22, 2015. 09:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: It Is What It Is [View article]
    Makin:

<<I hate seeing the biggest lie in history being perpetrated on Americans by killing an entire industry in favor of his own cherry-picked technologies because of "global warming.">>

You know what "the biggest lie in history" was in the 1950s and 1960s? Cigarettes cause cancer!

The nerve of those "so-called scientists" trying to kill off a perfectly good industry!

Apr 22, 2015. 09:04 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Skewed Nature Of Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Dave:

Actually, I do the exact same thing -- just did it with the DG50 for an article, in fact.

It gets a little trickier in our personal portfolio because I am still in the accumulation phase, so there's quite a moving target.

I mean, yeah, our dividends grew from 10,000 last year to 16,000 this year (actually, those aren't the numbers, but it works as an example), but we bought a whole bunch of stocks with cash we had set aside. So naturally, our dividends grew.

Apr 22, 2015. 09:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Buy Procter & Gamble, Buy Microsoft Instead [View article]
    user:

I very recently sold WMT and used the proceeds to buy non-consumer companies. I even wrote about the decision here on SA.

Investors make these kinds of decisions all the time.

Apr 22, 2015. 08:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: It Is What It Is [View article]
    AA:

I bought a full GE stake in June 2008. Not very much fun. I finally sold half of it last week after the uptick. I am hanging on to the other half, at least for now; finally, the size of the position is more in line with other more speculative companies I own.

On another note ...

"It is what it is" is my least favorite saying in the world, often muttered by coaches who don't want to say anything meaningful. I'll be much more impressed if a coach or pundit says, "It isn't what it isn't." At least that would make people think for a second!

Apr 22, 2015. 03:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    Texas:

<<If you invest the money and get only 4% the break-even goes out even further. >>

Excellent point.