Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
    IZZ:

I own LMT and would like to see it trace back some more before I add. FWIW, S&P Capital IQ has a $197.70 Fair Value Calculation but M* has only a $167 Fair Value Estimate.

Agree totally about KR. Margins are so slim in that industry. I'll take COST (in a pseudo-related industry) and its ability to squeeze suppliers -- not to mention that cash cow membership fee.

Sep 2, 2015. 10:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Rose:

I hear ya.

FYI, COST is scheduled to release August sales after close today but it doesn't actually report quarterly earnings until 9/29. This according to their investor relations site.

Sep 2, 2015. 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ted:

Ah, go on and add a few hundred thou! What could go wrong?

Sep 2, 2015. 10:29 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Be Greedy When Others Are Fearful, 5%+ Dividend Yield Portfolio Trades For August 2015 [View article]
    John:

My brokerage account is with Vanguard. They let me place limit orders that total more than the cash I have on hand. When I try to place such an order, I get a warning message: "This purchase, along with other open orders, exceeds your current funds available balance. Funds are due by the settlement date of the trade. Otherwise, securities in your account may be liquidated to pay for your purchase, and your account may be restricted." It then asks if I want to proceed with the order.

What it is telling me is that if enough orders go through to exceed my available cash, I will either have to add cash to my account quickly or will have to sell a stock that same day. Otherwise, Vanguard will choose something to sell for me and will give me 50 lashes with a wet noodle.

Unfortunately, I did not have a bunch of limit orders in place for Aug. 24. I started the practice that very night before I went to bed but none of them have hit. That's OK. I will continue the practice of having 15-20 good-til-cancel limit orders going at all times. If 70% of them hit, I have the cash on hand. In the extremely unlikely event that more than that hit, yes, I will have to do some scrambling.

My wife has a brokerage account within her 401k. That account, run by JP Morgan Chase, will not let me place trades that exceed the available cash by even one penny.

So yes, different brokers handle this differently.

Sep 2, 2015. 10:07 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Dividend Growth Stocks For Your Retirement Portfolio's Aggregate Yield 4.3%: Part 2 [View article]
    Chowdah:

<<From where I sit, it isn't a matter of trying to prove which asset is a better holding. I own equities because they meet my goals much better than ETF's or mutual funds.>>

Of course.

I say: "I like DGI because it helps me meet my goals and it fits my 'investing personality.' But I certainly understand if others have strategies they prefer. There are many ways for investors to 'win.'"

Anti-DGIers say: "You're wrong."

Sep 2, 2015. 09:50 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Surinder:

<<I would like to add amgn. Can you suggest reasonable entry price. >>

Well, right now AMGN seems pretty darn attractive to me.

It closed Tuesday at $147.46. That is 15.1 times 2015 EPS estimates and 13.8 times 2016 EPS estimates. (Its 5-year average P/E is 16.9.)

Morningstar rates AMGN a 5-star Strong Buy, gives it a 194 Fair Value Estimate and says "consider buying" at 155.20.

S&P Capital IQ gives it a Fair Value Calculation of 172.10 and a 12-month Target of 202.

AMGN's most recent earnings report was awesome, with bottom and top line beats and raised guidance. Jefferson Research gives AMGN "Strongest" scores in every single category. AMGN recently has been winning FDA approval on new drugs.

Jeesh ... now I'm thinking I need to top mine off again!!

Look, AMGN's price might go down more from here, so if you want to try to wait for some kind of overall market bottom, that's obviously your prerogative. If it is a long-term investment, it certainly is priced fairly. Better than fairly, actually.

Another thing: Like many biotechs, AMGN can have wild price swings. I mean, $5 or $7 or $10 in one day. If you can't take such swings, stay away.

Please remember that I am a writer first and stock-picker a distant second. I encourage you to do your own due diligence.

Best of luck.

Sep 2, 2015. 01:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Pendejo:

I'm not familiar with CCL. Thanks for providing a company folks can research if they choose.

Sep 2, 2015. 01:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rockin:

I can say the same about SO many companies. I wouldn't buy V, COST, NKE, ... always too overvalued!

I'm so focused on valuation it's impossible for me to make these buys. But obviously, with 20/20 hindsight, they were "misses."

Sep 2, 2015. 01:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Scott:

It's all good. No offense taken.

Sep 2, 2015. 12:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave & Ted:

I absolutely agree GILD is speculative. That's why it is a smaller position in my portfolio.

Ted, curious why you would sell some JNJ to buy such a speculative company.

Sep 2, 2015. 12:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When Opportunity Reveals Itself [View article]
    WEC's annual dividend is now 1.83. (http://seekingalpha.co...)

At a 46.76 share price, the yield is 3.91%.

Sep 2, 2015. 12:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Scott:

As I said in an earlier comment, MSFT was right on the edge of being included in this. I chose AAPL instead. But I own both in my portfolio and MSFT would be excellent on this list for all of the reasons you named.

I couldn't choose everything!

Sep 1, 2015. 07:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Balanced:

I am a big fan of diversification in many ways -- including dividends. So I definitely agree with you.

Sep 1, 2015. 07:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    as:

Believe me, I wasn't saying KR is a bad company to own.

Fan of several others you named, too.

Sep 1, 2015. 07:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rose:

Curious: What led you to $125?

My 130.77 is a "start to consider" price. I probably won't buy there.

Sep 1, 2015. 07:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment