Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Real Values Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Chowdah:

I will happily meet you half-way somewhere in the Carolinas and buy you a beer if that special dividend happens!

I'd settle for a 2% annual hike, though.

Dec 23, 2014. 03:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Jorge Posada's (Financial) Slump [View article]
    Roger:

Enjoyed the article, and your third bullet point is my favorite part:

<<Beating the market is not necessarily the most appropriate goal for every investor.>>

When I say my goal simply is "to have more than enough" and when I add that I am not concerned about beating any particular benchmark, some act as if I'm speaking an unintelligible language.

Give me $3000/month (today's dollars) in reliable dividend income, $3000/month in Social Security and $1500/month in pensions, and my wife and I will live happily ever after without ever having to spend down the principal if we don't want to. I don't know why that concept is so difficult for some to understand.

Dec 23, 2014. 03:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best S&P 500 Energy Stocks According To Graham Principles: ConocoPhillips [View article]
    Already full up on COP, but nice to see two oil-service sector companies I'm considering, HP and NOV, ranked in the top 5.

Dec 23, 2014. 03:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Values Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Hi Adam.

Thanks for the mention and the link. There has been amazing response to my DG50 article. I'd love to say it's because I am brilliant, but I know better. It's because investors are drawn to a relatively simple, very common-sense way to invest.

For me, DGI is a method that fits my personality and that I find attractive psychologically. I worry less about investing and finances, and I feel absolutely certain that I will attain my goals.

I know you subscribe to kind of a DGI/total-return hybrid, and that makes sense, too. Each of us must come up with something we are comfortable with. You help that process with your always well-reasoned articles, and I thank you for that.

Dec 23, 2014. 03:31 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Values Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    I just wish O would go back to raising its dividend more than a fraction of a penny.

Dec 23, 2014. 03:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who Is The Devil? Will Gilead Fall Or Soar In 2015? [View article]
    Pharma:

Thanks. I did read that in the article but somehow it went in one eye and out the back of my head before stopping at my brain. Thanks for expounding on it here.

Dec 23, 2014. 03:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    Duncan:

I think Dave has a low tolerance for rebukes without much basis in fact.

Plus, I call him the Godfather of DGI. And as such, maybe he likes to protect his turf. If you noticed, he even said the DG50 portfolio was more an example of an index than really a pure DGI strategy, and I don't argue with that.

Dec 23, 2014. 02:49 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Helmerich & Payne: Best-In-Class All-Around Driller [View article]
    I got greedy and tried to get HP even lower than 59, so now I'm deciding where my jump-in point will be (if I jump in at all). $61.11 is the 4.5% yield mark, but that horse might already have left the barn. We'll see.

Dec 23, 2014. 10:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Write On Seeking Alpha? [View article]
    TRW:

Thanks for checking in and reminding us of your superiority!

Dec 23, 2014. 09:56 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who Is The Devil? Will Gilead Fall Or Soar In 2015? [View article]
    What's interesting to me is that ABBV also has ticked down since the announcement. It hasn't cratered, as GILD has, but I thought ABBV would have caught a little wave here.

Dec 23, 2014. 09:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who Is The Devil? Will Gilead Fall Or Soar In 2015? [View article]
    Goal:

You're right. I missed that it traded in the low-90s then.

It might be a very good opportunity, though. I wish good fortune on all those pursuing it.

Dec 23, 2014. 09:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    Canadian:

I don't know what the record is (maybe it's the example Dave F presented), but this certainly is MY record.

Of course, quite a few of the comments are mine responding to nice comments such as yours!

Dec 23, 2014. 09:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    webber:

When I read your opening sentence, I almost commissioned an assassin to take you out!

Thanks for taking the time to read the article and, more impressively, the comment stream! I appreciate you following along as this adventure plays out.

Dec 23, 2014. 09:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: I Am Already Retired, Now What? [View article]
    jess:

You do know that no matter what kind of stock-investing strategy investors have, "the stock price itself can fall substantially ... and the stock may never return to the price they originally purchased it," right?

Dec 23, 2014. 08:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who Is The Devil? Will Gilead Fall Or Soar In 2015? [View article]
    Some are acting like this is an historic opportunity. GILD traded lower than this less than 5 months ago.

Dec 23, 2014. 08:10 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment