Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend-Stingy Wal-Mart Was Already On Probation, So What Now? [View article]
    DGI:

It's a reasonable thought. Don't forget, though, that MMM's slow divvy growth came on the heels of the worst financial crisis in decades. WMT's is coming during a time of relative calm. WMT has a low payout ratio and seemingly has room to issue at least a decent dividend raise.

Look, holding WMT probably isn't going to hurt anybody, and I hope I didn't imply it would.

Feb 24, 2015. 07:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Buffalo:

I am overweight Energy and am treading very cautiously before even thinking about adding more. For others, yes, you might be right about the opportunity. I personally think we'll see more pain before gain, but I do not pass myself off as an expert.

Feb 24, 2015. 07:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Golfer:

I already own plenty of WBA but others might find your suggestion helpful.

Feb 24, 2015. 07:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart Increases Dividend 2%; I Wouldn't Have Increased It At All [View article]
    Dave:

I think you're kidding, right? I usually have a pretty good sense for that, and I'm thinking that I'd need extra strength pliers to get the tongue out of your cheek.

Feb 23, 2015. 08:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Over Think It, Buy Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    nicholas:

There is no wrangling with my wife's 401k brokerage. We don't do much buying in there and we try to buy stuff in there that we absolutely never will sell.

For our personal accounts, our trading fees are cheap-cheap-cheap.

Feb 23, 2015. 08:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Chowdah:

Fair enough. Glad I got my WEC when it was relatively cheap. Maybe I'll get D one day.

Feb 23, 2015. 12:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    pim:

OK ... I probably shouldn't have said "any valuation metrics" since obviously that's not true. There are valuation metrics that aren't appealing for GILD.

However ...

According to Fidelity, its P/E (ttm) is 13.9. That compares to 18.7 for its 5-year history and 69.5 for its industry. FASTGraphs says its P/E is 13.3 compared to 16.2 for its 20-year history.

It is trading at about a 10% discount to Morningstar's Fair Value Estimate. S&P Capital IQ, which has a historic 81% accuracy rating on GILD analysis, rates it a Strong Buy because it is trading at a 28% discount to its 12-month Target Price. ValuEngine calls it a Strong Buy. Jefferson Research raves about its fundamentals and calls it a Buy.

The great thing about stats and data and analysis is one can always find enough to make a "pro" or a "con" argument regarding anything.

The main con for me about GILD is the 3 Safety rating it gets from Value Line. That makes it at least somewhat speculative, and its why I have a relatively small stake.

I am glad you stated your case because it can help others do more complete research, so thanks for stopping by.

Feb 23, 2015. 12:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Your Story? Dividend Growth Investing's Business Model [View article]
    RAS:

TROW's hike takes effect with the next divvy payment and lifts the yield to 2.5%. Not even counting the special divvy they just announced. It's high on my list, in part because of the great history your link shows.

Feb 23, 2015. 11:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Your Story? Dividend Growth Investing's Business Model [View article]
    I don't necessary choose a company because of its sector.

But if I have 2-3 that I am considering for purchase and they are roughly equal in my mind, and one is in a sector I have little to no exposure in, I very well might choose that company.

I am in the process of thinking about that right now, as I am contemplating dumping WMT for any number of other companies. I have very little Tech or Financial coverage, so I'm "rooting" for one or two of those to emerge from my screening. If, say, an Industrial is the clear winner, I won't buy a Tech just to buy a Tech, though.

Just my thought process. Everybody has his/her own thang.

Feb 23, 2015. 11:46 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Over Think It, Buy Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    RAS:

JNJ will have far more space in my retirement portfolio. But I did carve out a little corner for GILD because I like its potential. There's room for both for me, and probably for many others, too. Perhaps not you, though, and that's why we have freedom of choice!

Feb 23, 2015. 11:40 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Golf:

I appreciate the heads-up.

We get Nylabone for extreme chewers, which is a national brand sold all over the place. WMT just has the cheapest price on it.

Feb 23, 2015. 11:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bogle's Views On Retirement Income [View article]
    surf:

I have much less cash now than when I wrote that comment back in 2013. I still have some dry powder and feel good about it, though.

I will never take on debt to invest. Never ever. Doing so would not suit my personality at all. For those who have the stomach for it, as you apparently do, I'm sure you know what you're doing and I wish you well.

Feb 23, 2015. 06:26 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Over Think It, Buy Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    JNJMAN:

Thank you for the excellent insight and first-hand knowledge.

Very long JNJ and always looking for more at reasonable valuations.

Feb 23, 2015. 06:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Canadian:

I hope the decision works out well for you. If WMT goes on to gain 1,000% from here, please note I don't issue credits - ha!

Feb 23, 2015. 06:19 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chowdah & Eric:

<<Analysts are still valuing D as a regulated utility and as a result, most are calling it a sell.>>

I was curious about D so I went to the research tools at Fidelity.

Eva Dimensions, which has a 91% Accuracy rating for utilities analysis, calls it a SELL: "D is less attractively priced in relation to its true value than almost all of the stocks in its industry."

Jefferson Research, one of Chowdah's faves, raises major red flags in the areas of Operating Efficiency and Valuation and calls D a SELL.

S&P Capital IQ, which has a 70% Accuracy rating, calls D a STRONG SELL, with a 12-month target price of $70.

If I had as much success owning D as Chowdah has, I probably wouldn't sell despite all of this. Chowdah seems to know D inside out, trusts its management, knows its regulatory history and hurdles, etc.

But as one who doesn't hold D and one who is no expert on either D or the industry, I have to at least pay some attention to these highly rated analysts. And I have to pay a lot of attention to the valuation.

I could not possibly buy D anywhere near here and I eliminated it quite easily in the screen I'm doing to narrow my field in choosing a replacement for WMT.

Just MHO. Good luck, all.

Feb 23, 2015. 06:17 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment