Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
    chowdah:

Indeed, it's difficult to discuss things with folks who refuse to even try to understand the discussion.

Mike

P.S.: Wait ... you drip? Who knew?
    Sep 29 08:35 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Major Stock Market Selloff Looms As The Fed's QE3 Ends [View article]
    David:

Exactly.

As a bonus, you'll be able to say "I told you they would say 'I told you so'!"

Sep 28 11:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Jerry:

<<I love articles where the author takes a group of stocks that have been selected today because of their performance in the past and use them to show how investing in the successful stocks should duplicate that performance going forward.>>

And I love comments where the commenter makes a judgment of what the author was trying to show but gets the point completely wrong.

Good day.

Sep 28 11:08 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    user:

I have gotten to know a lot of DGIs during my nearly 3 years on this site. And I can confidently say that the vast majority of DGIs - myself included - wouldn't have even considered buying the majority of Nifty Fifty stocks at the time.

Again, you are working a little to hard to assign some different view of what the "point" of my article was.

Sep 28 11:05 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Talk About The Nifty Fifty And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    There is a much better than 50-50 chance that my wife and I will be in a higher tax bracket as retirees than we are now - especially if Roth rules get tinkered with down the line. I happen to think that won't happen, though.

Sep 28 11:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave F:

I think you are right about not changing Roth rules and, moreover, I HOPE you are right!

Sep 28 10:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    DMG:

<<I do remember a commenter who missed out on LMT around 81 a few years ago (and I think it was pretty clearly selling at a good value at that point in time) because he was hoping it would drop to 80. >>

Gulp. That was me: http://seekingalpha.co...

And even worse than missing out on LMT and JNJ at incredible prices was that I wrote that article basically patting myself on the back for my "discipline." Ugh.

But I was a DGI neophyte then. I'm no genius now, that's for sure, but I haven't made quite the same mistake since. (Though I have talked myself out of good companies at fair values, to my eventual chagrin.)

Sep 28 10:52 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    All:

The point of the article is exactly what the article said the point was!

There are some folks who try to discredit DGI and/or a buy-and-hold strategy by drumming up Nifty Fifty losers. So I took the Nifty Fifty and showed that, even with that allegedly failed collection of companies, a long-term investor not only would have survived but thrived. I only used the S&P 500 as a comparison because that is what everybody tries to use as a measuring stick. And my conclusion was that the Nifty Fifty study showed that even an imperfect portfolio can excel.

Anybody who wants to assign other "points" to the article, go ahead. It's a free country. And I appreciate the pageviews and comments. But if you don't include any or all of the above points, you're wrong about the point of the freakin' article!!

Sep 28 10:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    chowder:

<<I think we're getting off track here. Mikee showed that if one was a complete moron, and didn't do anything but stick their head in the sand for 40 years, and finally come up for air, utilizing an imperfect strategy still would have made them rich by most standards.>>

Thank you for explaining (again) the focus of the article. I guess I didn't write it well enough if there are some folks who think, as user contended, "It seems to me one of the points of Mike's article is to get people to think about whether they would be better off investing in an S&P 500 index fund."

That was not even one-millionth of one of the points of Mike's article. If user or anybody else wants to take that out of the article, hey, it's a free world. But given that I'm Mike, I can say with great certainty that wasn't Mike's point!

Sep 28 10:40 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    south:

<<but even the immediate past does not foretell the future with any certainty.>>

Truer words have never been spoken.

And it's one major reason I have reliable dividend growth as a goal rather than trying to predict how a stock will "do" in relation to the S&P 500.

I'm not involved in a contest against any index or any individual, including you. I only want to retire with "more than enough." And I will.

Sep 28 10:35 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Miguel:

I agree wholeheartedly that indexing can work quite well, and I agree with Warren Buffett that many people would be better off indexing.

I wrote the article in part to counteract the folks who say indexing is the ONLY intelligent way to invest because DGIs are in danger of getting stuck with the next Kresge or Kodak.

Sep 28 10:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Major Stock Market Selloff Looms As The Fed's QE3 Ends [View article]
    Excellent.

I'll put this article in the same archive as the several dozen 2012 and 2013 articles predicting imminent doom.

Sep 28 09:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No, Chipotle Mexican Grill Isn't What's Hurting McDonald's [View article]
    Great idea, Ruby!

Sep 28 12:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    SDS:

I have read every comment (I think) and have responded to those that were directed at me (and some that weren't). I say "I think" because as the stream got longer, I used those orange arrows to take me to the next new comment and I know that occasionally some comments slip through the cracks. If I happen to have ignored anybody because of this, it wasn't my intention to do so, and I welcome private messages.

As for clicking on "like," I do try to do this but I admit that sometimes I forget.

I'd recommend you take your "OFF TOPIC" suggestion to SA editors.

Oh, and BTW, I "liked" this comment of yours!

Sep 27 11:46 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment