Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • W.P. Carey: A Real Estate Investment For All Seasons [View article]
    PaulC:

<<There was no advance warning of the big drops ahead.>>

I disagree strongly with this. The likely effect of Fed rate hikes -- and even the anticipation of Fed rate hikes -- on REITs has been a much-discussed subject here on SA for at least a couple years now.

One buys a REIT now knowing that, short-term, there could be such an effect. One doesn't buy that REIT if one is not convinced it will be a winning investment long-term. So why buy before the hike at all? That's a legit question. The best answer is that rate hikes have been "imminent" for a long time now and we still don't really know when they will start. Also, historically, there have been periods of rate hikes in which REITs have performed very well.

I have not bought any REITs in 2015 and in fact have done a little trimming, but it doesn't surprise me that some very good long-term investors have. And I am considering both WPC and VTR as prices fall. Whether I actually buy both or neither is yet to be determined.

Jun 25, 2015. 09:15 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • W.P. Carey: A Real Estate Investment For All Seasons [View article]
    Like all REITs, WPC ideally is held in a Roth IRA. Then you never have to worry about how it will be taxed -- because it won't be!

Jun 24, 2015. 11:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Worries About Costco's Lack Of Millennial Customers Overblown [View article]
    lake:

I actually gave Kirkland Light a try -- 48 cans for 21 bucks.

It tastes a lot like Bud Light to me -- kind of weak, a little sweet. Kirkland is also quite carbonated -- it's "easy burpin' beer."

It's not a serious beer, and not my beer of choice. But for right after mowing the lawn or after umpiring a couple Little League games in 96-degree heat, etc., it goes down cold, refreshing and easy.

There's my 30-second review!

Jun 24, 2015. 06:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Reinvestment Dilemma: Prioritizing Yield, Valuation, And Risk [View article]
    I think we're getting into the difference between the kind of drip I was talking about -- telling one's broker to reinvest dividends right back into the stocks from whence they came -- and the more formal DRiP that companies set up to offer low (or no) cost dividend reinvestment and share purchase.

Jun 24, 2015. 05:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 8% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    DGI:

WEC and OHI are so different, but I like 'em both.

Given their respective positions in my portfolio, I obviously prefer WEC as an investment. But others probably prefer OHI.

Jun 24, 2015. 05:50 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    immort:

When asked, I always recommend that young people and/or people with fairly small portfolios reinvest right back into the companies that paid the dividends. Why? For exactly all the reasons you mentioned.

I happen to be a serial dripper and even though I have built a decent sized portfolio over the years, I drip everything. Again, because of all the reasons you mentioned -- and because I always want more of all the high-quality companies I own!

But I certainly see why those with larger portfolios use their dividends differently. There certainly is no "wrong answer" here.

Jun 24, 2015. 09:54 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Long Kraft As The Heinz Merger Radically Transforms The Company [View article]
    vince:

<<I agree with you that an effective CEO is worth the dough>>

It's the crappy CEOs who still get wheelbarrows full of dough I have a problem with!

Jun 24, 2015. 09:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Investors Need A Retirement Strategy For All Seasons [View article]
    George:

You have touched on one of the things I like most about DGI: It is a common-sense, fairly easy-to-implement plan.

And we all need a plan.

Even if the young (or middle-aged or old) investor doesn't choose DGI, he/she needs a plan. Hopefully, many such folks will read this article and realize as much.

I happen to have chosen DGI because it fits my "investing personality." It makes sense to me.

Jun 24, 2015. 09:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 8% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Christine:

Agree.

It's just a matter of this for me: I have so many things to worry about, I can't start worrying about what-ifs that are pretty far out there!

Jun 24, 2015. 09:33 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 8% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    DGI:

I completely agree: WEC is not very cheap, but it is reasonably priced.

We're not talking about a screaming bargain, we're talking about a very good utility at a fair price. Even got the Chuck Carnevale seal of approval.

Look, I am not comfortable "recommending" stocks. It's not what I do. And I haven't added to my own WEC, but only because I already own a lot of it. Still, if I were someone who had been wanting a quality ute and had a little money sitting there idle, I could do a lot worse than initiating WEC at this price.

Jun 24, 2015. 08:55 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Examining My Bullish Thesis On Hershey [View article]
    Oh, you guys keep trying to tempt me!!

Jun 24, 2015. 12:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Valuations, Goals And The Stock Selection Process [View article]
    Eh ... Chowdah ain't tough enough to deal with my wife!

Jun 24, 2015. 12:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    Chowdah:

You are right. GE is a conundrum for me, a 54-year-old who isn't going to be living on divvies for at least 6 years.

I responded by selling half of my stake and thinking about whether I wanted to keep the other half. Was that the "right" decision? To be continued ...

Jun 24, 2015. 12:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wisconsin Energy's 3.93% Yield: A 5-Year High [View article]
    I have not yet topped off my WEC. Because I own quite a bit of it already and don't "need" more, I am willing to wait for a real fire sale. I've been so busy this week that I haven't calculated what that price would have to be.

Jun 24, 2015. 12:23 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 8% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    I sometimes put a sheet of foil on the grill, oil it up, and then cook a nice piece of salmon. Of course, if I have a cedar plank available, I prefer that for salmon grilling!

Jun 24, 2015. 12:20 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment