Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Unplanned Early Retirement, Part 1 - Strategy, Stability, And Moving Forward [View article]
    Paul:

You got that right! I'm just glad I didn't bail on my investments.

Apr 18 02:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    Oh no you didn't bring up AVA, Scott!

You are a bad man!!

Apr 18 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Doing Nothing Is A Strategy For Dividend Income Investors [View article]
    The sports version of this: Sometimes the best trades are the ones you never make.

Apr 18 11:09 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Kevin:

Many of us have been right where you are now: Involuntarily retired by our long-time employers. It happened to me 5 years ago at age 48, right as the recession was beating up my portfolio (and almost everybody else's). I didn't even get a penny of severance, the policy having been changed two weeks before I got the heave-ho.

As was the case with fellow SA writer Dividend Dynasty (see his comments above), I looked hard for a good job in my field for a solid year but found nothing. So now I freelance and otherwise do stuff that gives me fulfillment and enjoyment: coaching, officiating, teaching, investing, etc. I am fortunate that my Sugar Mama wife has a solid job and that we were long-time savers/investors so, like you, my story is not a tale of woe.

Life is all about adjusting on the fly to things that happen, good and bad. It always sucks when somebody else makes a major decision for us -- we all want to leave our jobs on our own terms -- but it sounds like you have your priorities in place and will come up with a plan to enjoy many successful, rewarding decades ahead.

Congratulations on your first article, and I look forward to many more.

Apr 18 10:57 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan: A Rare Find Indeed [View article]
    Henry:

Just take all analysis for what it is. If, after doing your own further analysis, you like the company, buy it. If you don't like it, either pass on it or sell what you have.

Here on Seeking Alpha, excellent analysis comes from those who own shares of the companies they review and from those who don't own shares. Less-than-excellent analysis can also come from both types.

Don't overthink it. The author isn't trying to "get away with something."

Apr 18 10:44 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Fact:

One thing I would have done differently if I could go back would have been to convert some of our IRAs to Roths after I was laid off and the market was down.

The paper value of our investments had declined substantially in the recession, so it would have cost less to convert them. Plus, our income had declined significantly, so we were in a lower tax bracket.

When the much-anticipated next correction finally does happen, I probably will start doing some converting.

Apr 18 10:01 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DD:

Your story sounds almost exactly like mine, although our house (unfortunately) is not on a lake!

Apr 18 09:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Paul:

In her former job, my wife invested in a "guaranteed" fund. It guarantees the principal will not decline and guarantees at least a 3% annual gain. It has gained more than 6% in some years and now it is at 3.6%. I liked it at the time because we were otherwise stock-heavy and bond-light, and I still like it because we're now even stock-heavier and bond-lighter.

She left that company about 3 1/2 years ago and we have kept the money in there because there is no suitable replacement -- it yields much better than CDs, money-market funds and bonds, and it is as safe as the highest-grade bonds. It gives me one thing I do not have to worry about in the portfolio, and it frees me psychologically to have as many stocks as we do.

So that is one reason to stay in a former employer's 401k -- maybe they have an option that perfectly fits one's overall investment plan and can't be easily replicated.

Apr 18 09:57 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa: An Opportunity To Capture Growth Alpha [View article]
    B & Shiv:

Excellent additional insight on top of a useful article.

I don't own V yet, but it is on my watch list.

Well done, both of you.

Apr 18 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    maybe:

You and your dollars can spend the night together. That will be sure to give you satisfaction!

Apr 18 12:41 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    maybenot:

Given that I am almost fully invested, I look at it as a win-win.

Market goes up, yay, my portfolio is worth more and the inevitable correction will be a percentage off the higher number.

Market goes down, yay, I can allocate some more money (and reinvest dividends) at sale prices.

In the end, it doesn't matter what we "root" for. We have no control so we might as well be happy either way!

Apr 17 10:48 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    mbk:

I agree with the crux of what you have said here. While I own more than 12 companies, I also have considerably more invested in my top 12 than in my others.

I know I still have a lot to learn, too. Maybe when I "get there," I'll only own a few. Or maybe not. That's part of the adventure!

Apr 17 10:41 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    RAS:

I will explain DGI at length and to the best of my ability to anybody who asks about it, but I don't go out of my way to try to "reel somebody in."

In fact, even when telling folks about DGI, I make sure I tell them to choose an investing style that fits their personalities, and I just about NEVER recommend particular stocks.

Apr 17 12:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Constructing And Designing The Stock Portfolio That's Just Right For You: Part 1 [View article]
    Chuck:

Important series, well-presented.

Part 1 reinforces why I've been so attracted to Stalwarts -- and WEC!

Already looking forward to Part 2.

Apr 17 09:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: Not Really Cheap [View article]
    With a 2.5% yield and 2.1% year-over-year dividend growth, I am not digging WMT as an investment right now. Even if one isn't in love with with the "Chowder Rule," this doesn't even come close.

Having said that, I certainly would not short it. And, in fact, as of yet I have not sold my decent-sized position even though there are dozens upon dozens of companies outperforming WMT from both total-return and income-producing standpoints.

I guess I'll say that I've pulled a Dean Wormer and placed WMT on double-secret probation.

Apr 16 10:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment