Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My High Dividend Yield Retirement Portfolio Delivers 8.8% Of Income For This Retiree [View article]
    D#1:

Never mind. I just saw your latest article in which you state your plans in light of the KMR/KMI situation.

Aug 15 12:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    Alan:

It sounds trite and cliche, but we all just need to get along.

Lots of ways to build financially sound retirements. Starting early and staying out of debt are good starts regardless of portfolio strategy.

Aug 15 12:05 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    D#1:

Curious to hear if you will adjust your portfolio now that KMR is going to be cannibalized by KMI.

Aug 15 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Correction Arrived Early For Walgreen - So Now What After Only OK Dividend Hike? [View article]
    Ron:

I root for you because I want you to do well. And, of course, I root for you because, as a KMI and KMR shareholder, I soon will be extremely overweight in KMI!

Aug 15 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    DVK:

I'm late to the party but still want to give you a big thumbs-up for yet another fantastic article.

In addition to the tangible financial benefits of DGI that you mention, the best thing to me is the psychological advantages of the strategy. Not long ago, my portfolio was all over the place, I had no well-articulated goal and I had no business plan. Now, my portfolio is organized in a common-sense way, I have a specific goal that I am sure I will achieve and I have a business plan to guide me.

All of that has given me financial peace, and like the MasterCard commercials say, that's priceless.

I absolutely believe that somebody who doesn't use DGI as his/her strategy also can have an organized portfolio, a goal and a business plan. I would never claim otherwise. For me, though, DGI helped me find my "comfort zone" as an investor.

My answer to the question in your headline: Yes, dividends matter to me - as long as they are reliable and growing and being distributed by some of the most proven, highest-quality companies on the planet.

Aug 15 11:22 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    varan:

I agree with you totally on this.

And it is why I find it curious - and even a little sad - that so many folks go into comment streams of DGI articles to state how wrong the strategy is. A comment I read just yesterday accused the author of doing "a huge disservice" to readers by advocating DGI, as if readers had a gun at their heads forcing them to use DGI.

When I write, I do so from a very personal perspective. I state what I'm buying and why, what my strategy is and why. I document my mistakes as well as my triumphs. Readers have a choice: Do I invest similarly; do I go the exact opposite direction; do I put together a hybrid approach; etc.? How this is "a huge disservice" is beyond me.

I would NEVER go into a comment stream of an article on a strategy that differs from my own and call the author or other advocates of the strategy crackpots or cultists. Because I believe each of us should choose a strategy that makes us comfortable. For some reason, however, many of those who oppose DGI feel compelled to rip DGI and its advocates.

Most of the pro-DGI authors I read - including Dave Van Knapp in this article - go out of their way to say that theirs is not the only strategy worth considering.

I am thrilled to see that you agree that no author or commenter is forcing a fellow investor to follow any particular strategy.

Aug 15 11:10 AM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    Dave F:

I plan to do the exact same thing. I'm curious: At what age did you begin making the Roth conversions?

Aug 15 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    Thanks, maybe. I've got some things brewing but got busy doing some other stuff. Hopefully within a week or three.

Aug 15 02:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Aaron:

When I started reshaping my portfolio last summer, WAG was one of my nine DGI Superstars. It largely got there based upon its sheer size - its price doubled from my time of purchase, and that's a good thing.

However, as its yield got lower and lower and its price got higher and higher, I did some trimming and it is now on my next tier of investments, more of a satellite position.

One certainly could do a lot worse than holding WAG for decades, and I have no plans to sell any of my still fairly sizable position.

Aug 15 02:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Aaron:

Lots of good points in there. Thanks for making them!

Aug 15 02:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    I write about how I invest and why. I often mention my mistakes and regrets. I do it all to help myself and others.

Intelligent investors read any article - be it on DGI, growth investing, CDs, commodities, anything - and use the information to decide if they want to invest similarly, if they want to take a completely different course or if they want to install some hybrid in their approaches.

I don't think that's "a huge disservice" to readers. If it is, however, I plead guilty. And I confess in advance that I plan to commit this crime again.

Aug 15 02:11 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    Perfectly stated, chowdah.

I provide specific financial goals while saying my overriding objective is simply to have "more than enough." For whatever reason, that bugs some folks. I guess I should be flattered that these folks care so deeply about my financial well-being!

Aug 14 08:57 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Procter & Gamble: Expensive But No One Cares [View article]
    Josh:

First, to say "no one cares" about PG's valuation is hyperbolic at best, silly at worst.

Second, Morningstar's fair value estimate is $89. I've seen many other analyst estimates in the 80s and even low-90s.

I'm not backing up the truck to buy more PG. I don't think it is a bargain. But I see no reason to sell this great American company with a reliable, growing dividend.

Aug 13 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Do You Hold Cash When Realty Income Or AT&T Are Available? [View article]
    Pen & Eli:

Given B&H's wealth, I doubt "being out of the game" by being 20% cash is much of a risk at all for him.

Buffett also has a sizable cash stake right now, as do many mutual funds.

For many people - and not only rich folks - cash simply is another asset as part of an overall portfolio strategy. Yes, the return stinks. But they can live with that because their portfolios otherwise are so stock-heavy and the overall market is somewhat higher valued.

Aug 13 11:43 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Do You Hold Cash When Realty Income Or AT&T Are Available? [View article]
    Eli:

I completely understand what you are saying, both in the article and in this reply to my comment. My thesis simply differs slightly from yours.

I believe that if one has a portfolio that is heavy on stocks and light on bonds, holding a little non-emergency cash is not necessarily a bad thing. At worst, it provides a little portfolio balance in the absence of bonds. At best, it's dry powder for opportunities.

Maybe this is the rare occasion in which you and I will have to agree to disagree.

Keep writing great articles.

Aug 13 11:39 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment