Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    It's pretty much impossible for the cheapskate in me to buy SBUX at this multiple. I'm glad my daughter gets a good chunk of it through her employer (which happens to be SBUX).

May 26, 2015. 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Look Ma, No Hands [View article]
    Glad you had a great vacation, Alan, and I'm especially happy you made it back in time to contribute to my latest Seeking Alpha collaborative effort.

You and 14 others took a stab at picking the very best stock to own in the world. Hopefully, the article will be published later today.

May 26, 2015. 11:29 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    Chowdah:

I've never had a Peroni. Maybe we should make "serving Peroni" mandatory for the restaurant we choose to lunch at!

May 25, 2015. 10:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GE Vs. 3M: Which Could Give You A Better Return? [View article]
    B&H:

<<The odds seem to indicate that GE will be a better investment than MMM in the future.>>

Which odds? Why? What facts or figures RIGHT NOW push the odds in GE's favor to outperform MMM over the next 5 or 15 or 36 years?

May 25, 2015. 10:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warning: Don't Let Market Hype Cause You To Miss This Total Return Opportunity [View article]
    Agreed, joni. I have put varan on PPI -- Permanent Personal Ignore.

May 25, 2015. 10:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    Wouldn't touch DRI. But that's just me.

In the restaurant industry, I have to have a deep, deep moat to even consider it. I mean, even MCD is struggling.

SBUX is pretty close to the deepest of deep moats; a great business model if they keep their eyes on the ball. I wish I owned more than what I do in the DG50 portfolio.

DRI? Nothing special there.

May 25, 2015. 11:20 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    It is interesting, Chowdah.

Seems they are selling low and buying high to me, but they obviously feel TGT is the better investment going forward. I hope they are right, as I have a full position in TGT and none in UNP, though UNP has moved up my watch list in recent weeks.

May 25, 2015. 10:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Cash Is King [View article]
    182:

A very astute comment.

It helps explain why, after much thought, I chose to be a registered Independent. I vote for each person for each office each year. I do not donate to either party, and I would never pull a party lever.

May 25, 2015. 10:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GE Vs. 3M: Which Could Give You A Better Return? [View article]
    Old:

As a contributor myself, I don't like to criticize fellow contributors. I hope he looks at what I wrote as "constructive."

You make numerous good points. I had never even heard of "median dividend growth" -- and I don't ever want to hear of it again!!!!

May 25, 2015. 10:00 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GE Vs. 3M: Which Could Give You A Better Return? [View article]
    Old:

Oh yeah ... the dividend freeze at least through 2016. I forgot to mention THAT in my comment, too.

May 25, 2015. 08:37 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best And Worst Performing S&P 500 Stocks Year-To-Date [View article]
    The trick, of course, is in predicting which of those losers is most likely to turn things around the rest of the year -- and beyond.

I own two of them (SCG and SO) and have 3 others on my watch list (UNP, NSC and, much lower, NOV).

May 25, 2015. 07:50 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GE Vs. 3M: Which Could Give You A Better Return? [View article]
    According to Dave Fish's CCC chart, GE's annualized DG over the last 10 years is -1% -- in other words, GE has experienced dividend reduction over that time. Sure enough, despite raising its divvy in each of the last five years, the company STILL is not paying as high a dividend as it paid in the last quarter of 2005.

Meanwhile, MMM's annualized 10-year DG is 9%. In addition, it has been raising its dividend ever more aggressively, with a 5-year DG of 10.9%, a 3-year of 15.8% and a 1-year of 34.6%.

To compare the dividend history of MMM, one of only eight publicly traded companies to have raised its divvy for 57 consecutive years or more, and GE, which infamously lied about the security of its dividend before reducing it 68% in 2009, seems rather ridiculous -- especially with the conclusion THAT is the one area in which GE "wins."

May 25, 2015. 07:45 AM | 25 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    I am working on a two-part series in which I asked more than a dozen popular, respected Seeking Alphites to choose two stocks. One is the "best" company to own in a portfolio. The other is what he/she would buy today if he/she had $25K to invest on one stock.

I am shooting for a Tuesday publication date for Part 1, with Part 2 to follow a couple days later.

I'd appreciate those who took part in the survey to do what Chowder just did ... and not give away any secrets!

May 24, 2015. 11:49 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Baxter Guidance Portending A Dividend Cut? [View article]
    Eric:

While disappointed that BAX hasn't offered more clarity, its management has been very good for many years and I continue to hold.

I don't blame you for selling, though.

May 24, 2015. 08:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson: The 'Tragedy' Of Paying 17 Times Earnings [View article]
    Timmies:

Don't compare B&H's strategy to what Howard did.

Howard sold everything and is 100% cash.

B&H has never sold a single share of anything; he just hasn't bought anything since 2012. He is a multimillionaire. Yes, he has left some unrealized gains on the table these last three years, but he did continue enjoying the fruits of the market gains these with the vast majority of his portfolio.

Personally, I wouldn't do what either Howard or B&H have done, but I'm a heck of a lot closer to B&H's camp than to Howard's.

May 24, 2015. 08:27 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment