Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Price Consistency Vs. Discounts; Who Needs What? [View article]
    Costco also has great apparel at great prices, although its selection is quite limited.

One thing Costco does very well is work with its suppliers on package size and pricing.

At the grocery store, Nabisco manages to maintain the perception that prices are staying reasonable by shrinking package size. So instead of raising the 3.99 price on a 16-ounce package of Oreos, they shrink the package to 14.4 ounces -- meaning consumers are paying the same price for 10% less product.

Costco often does the exact opposite. It raises the price but it makes an already large package even bigger. So instead of paying $5 for a 24-ounce bag of Stacy's pita chips, you might pay $5.50 for a 28-ounce bag. The consumer says, "It might be a few cents more, but the bag is bigger, too, and it's still a great deal."

Clever.

Apr 22, 2015. 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Skewed Nature Of Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Eli and Dave:

Math! Now my head hurts!!!

I think every few months I'll just send either of you a list of my holdings and you can tell me what my DG rate is!!

Apr 22, 2015. 10:20 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Costco Continues To Be The Next Wal-Mart [View article]
    Recently sold WMT at 84 after yet another pathetic dividend hike. Lucky call on my part, since it has done nothing but fall since then. If it goes down another few bucks to the 72-73 range, it actually might get interesting again to buy!

Costco is my favorite place to shop and it very well might be the best-run retailer in the world. I own only a small stake but I am looking to buy more ... if only its price would cooperate a little!!

Apr 22, 2015. 10:10 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Reasons AT&T Is The Better Dividend Investment Than Verizon [View article]
    Bill:

I couldn't resist and topped off my T last week at 32.44. It is now an overweight position for me, but that's OK.

Long VZ, also; it is also a core holding though not as large as T for me.

Apr 22, 2015. 10:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Buy Procter & Gamble, Buy Microsoft Instead [View article]
    rid:

The stock only has been a dog who bought it at the wrong time (as is the case with most or all stocks).

Those who bought MSFT just a couple years ago near 25 are undoubtedly quite pleased with its place in their portfolios. If you told them it was a dog, they'd say you were barking up the wrong tree!

Apr 22, 2015. 09:57 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Buy Procter & Gamble, Buy Microsoft Instead [View article]
    As my Chicagoan father-in-law would say:

"Own da boata dem."

Apr 22, 2015. 09:54 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Buy: Microsoft Corporation [View article]
    DM:

Congrats on the book. And congrats on buying MSFT, a cash-rich, nice-moat company with a lovely dividend. I also purchased fairly recently at 41 and am looking for it to ease back down that way (or maybe a little lower, he said hopefully!) to top off my position. Maybe earnings report tomorrow will give me an opportunity to save a nickel or two.

Apr 22, 2015. 09:49 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Roady:

I like the way you calculated your portfolio's DG, and I guess I should sit down and do the same for mine. 7.11% sounds pretty good to me.

Apr 22, 2015. 12:26 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million - Portfolio Management, New Purchase [View article]
    Scott:

My thought on AMGN is that I should have bought a whole lot more of it than I did a couple months back when it was under 150!!!

Apr 22, 2015. 12:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Purchased Schwab's U.S Dividend Equity ETF As A Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    Be:

That's funny. Step 1 to it being a fund of funds!

Apr 21, 2015. 01:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Roger:

Good thing Be Here Now was there to point out what both of us should have realized! I agree, the comment streams on SA are incredibly valuable.

Apr 21, 2015. 01:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    varan:

I was a sportswriter. After the 1000th time I wrote how great Michael Jordan was, it was up to me to at least find a different way to say it.

Apr 21, 2015. 01:45 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Chowdah:

Impressive.

I've only had the framework of my current portfolio in place for a little over a year and a half, so maybe that matters, but I know that I am nowhere close to 15% year-over-year dividend growth.

I use 5.5% in my future expectations calculations because I would much rather err to the conservative side. I suspect I will achieve much better than that, but I don't "need" better than that to enjoy a stress-free, financially independent retirement.

Apr 21, 2015. 10:41 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    varan:

I continue to be impressed and humbled at the deep level of concern you have for the financial well-being of so many total strangers -- those who have been kidnapped by cultists and forced to allocate their money in ways only brainwashed humans ever would.

You have absolutely no interest in Dividend Growth Investing, and yet you selflessly continue to read every DGI article and use their comment streams to save us from ourselves.

You could be spending this time going out and playing -- as you advise us to do -- but instead you sacrifice your time to work tirelessly on our behalf. You have made thousands upon thousands of comments to protect us from the evil that lurks within the halls of Seeking Alpha's dividends and income catacombs.

Oh, nameless and faceless savior, thank you thank you thank you!

Apr 21, 2015. 10:33 AM | 34 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave:

I greatly enjoyed your series on dividend ETFs and I agreed with you at the time that SCHD was the most promising of them.

Now that you have taken the leap into SCHD, even if on a limited basis, I will be very interested to read about its progress within your portfolio.

For those interested, here are SCHD's holdings by weight: http://bit.ly/1GeEE6o

Thanks for the great read.

Apr 21, 2015. 10:10 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment