Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    chowdah:

It hit my target price but I got greedy, that's all. Believe me, I'm not slashing my wrists over it. I have a pretty solid portfolio.

BTW, I am working on a piece about some of my biggest investing mistakes, including why I made them and what I learned from them. I hope to have it done by early next week. And yes, AVA will be on there!

Apr 18 07:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Constructing And Designing The Stock Portfolio That's Just Right For You: Part 1 [View article]
    Yeah, Pt. If I were buying I'd like it more at 56 than where it sits at 60. I did buy TGT in chunks -- just didn't wait long enough to buy those last couple chunks!

Apr 18 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DVK:

Nah, it's nowhere near that bad. I'm down about 9%. It's never fun to buy something and then have it lose value over the next 6-9 months, but it's only a fraction of the portfolio so I'm not on a ledge. Yet.

Apr 18 06:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    chowdah:

So what are you saying ... damn the valuation and just buy AVA now? Hmmm.

Apr 18 04:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    <<p.s. lol, whatever happens between Scott and "your body" is your business, not ours.>>

D'oh! That was supposed to say "my buddy." Damn fingers!

Apr 18 04:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Unplanned Early Retirement, Part 1 - Strategy, Stability, And Moving Forward [View article]
    kolpin:

I was curious about your question so I did some googling to see if I could find an answer. I couldn't find any site that said: "X is the minimum amount that must be converted to a Roth IRA at any one time or in any one year." That leads me to believe there is no minimum by law, although it is possible that a brokerage might have its own minimum. I suggest you put in a quick call to your brokerage and ask them. Then report back to us!

Apr 18 04:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Pt:

I paid a little too much for my TGT and now have gotten sick of watching it do nothing but go down. I originally thought I had a full position, but now I admit I am thinking about throwing a little more cash into it, partly for this very reason that you state.

Then again, it is hardly super cheap with a P/E near 20. I know some will counter with its forward P/E, but those projections often prove false.

As you can see, I'm on the fence!

Apr 18 02:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan: A Rare Find Indeed [View article]
    mkg:

KMI trades like any other stock and is suitable for any kind of account. It does not generate a K-1.

I happen to have KMI (and KMR) in my Roth, but I wouldn't hesitate to own it in my traditional IRA or taxable account.

Apr 18 02:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    Dennis:

My body Scott is playfully giving me crap because I talked incessantly about buying AVA and, even though it reached my buy zone, I got greedy and tried to get it cheaper ... and that caused me to miss out on it before it ran up and got hugely overpriced. So I still don't have AVA in my portfolio.

And I don't blame Scott ... because I deserve to be given crap for my foolishness!

Apr 18 02:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Paul:

You got that right! I'm just glad I didn't bail on my investments.

Apr 18 02:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    Oh no you didn't bring up AVA, Scott!

You are a bad man!!

Apr 18 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Doing Nothing Is A Strategy For Dividend Income Investors [View article]
    The sports version of this: Sometimes the best trades are the ones you never make.

Apr 18 11:09 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Kevin:

Many of us have been right where you are now: Involuntarily retired by our long-time employers. It happened to me 5 years ago at age 48, right as the recession was beating up my portfolio (and almost everybody else's). I didn't even get a penny of severance, the policy having been changed two weeks before I got the heave-ho.

As was the case with fellow SA writer Dividend Dynasty (see his comments above), I looked hard for a good job in my field for a solid year but found nothing. So now I freelance and otherwise do stuff that gives me fulfillment and enjoyment: coaching, officiating, teaching, investing, etc. I am fortunate that my Sugar Mama wife has a solid job and that we were long-time savers/investors so, like you, my story is not a tale of woe.

Life is all about adjusting on the fly to things that happen, good and bad. It always sucks when somebody else makes a major decision for us -- we all want to leave our jobs on our own terms -- but it sounds like you have your priorities in place and will come up with a plan to enjoy many successful, rewarding decades ahead.

Congratulations on your first article, and I look forward to many more.

Apr 18 10:57 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan: A Rare Find Indeed [View article]
    Henry:

Just take all analysis for what it is. If, after doing your own further analysis, you like the company, buy it. If you don't like it, either pass on it or sell what you have.

Here on Seeking Alpha, excellent analysis comes from those who own shares of the companies they review and from those who don't own shares. Less-than-excellent analysis can also come from both types.

Don't overthink it. The author isn't trying to "get away with something."

Apr 18 10:44 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Fact:

One thing I would have done differently if I could go back would have been to convert some of our IRAs to Roths after I was laid off and the market was down.

The paper value of our investments had declined substantially in the recession, so it would have cost less to convert them. Plus, our income had declined significantly, so we were in a lower tax bracket.

When the much-anticipated next correction finally does happen, I probably will start doing some converting.

Apr 18 10:01 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment