Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Memo To McDonald's: Core Execution Should Be On New U.S. President's To-Do List [View article]
    Denise:

I agree with your thesis - that MCD should focus more on its core products and stop wandering so far afield.

I disagree with those who say MCD's time has passed. The same siren call has been made in the past and investors who sold back then are sorry now. The same was said about SBUX and JNJ but they righted themselves.

MCD will be around and will thrive for many decades to come. Every time I drive past my local MCD, its lobby, drivethru and play area are packed; the Burger King across the street has less than half the traffic.

Aug 27 09:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Any:

I agree wholeheartedly. As an investor who has MCD as one of my core holdings, I cringed when I saw that Burger King - and not Mickey D's - acquired Tim Horton's. That would have been an excellent partnership for MCD.

Aug 27 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Every Dividend Growth Investor Should Own AT&T Right Now [View article]
    RS:

Although T's dividend growth has become quite anemic - too anemic for some DGIs who focus primarily on the "G" - I agree with you that there is still room for the company in just about any DGI portfolio.

My portfolio has a few low-yielding fast DG growers, a few high-yielding slow DG growers (like T) and mostly mid-yielding consistently mid DG growers. There are all kinds of ways to diversify a portfolio, and that's one of several ways I use.

Long T, and wouldn't mind seeing it dip below 34 to pick up some more (though I might nibble a little even if it doesn't).

Aug 27 09:46 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Safe Large-Cap Blue-Chip Dividend Champions For Your Retirement Portfolios: Part 2 [View article]
    Chuck:

Good food for thought as always, but I do have one small nit to pick: I always cringe when I see the word "Safe" linked to stock investing, especially in the headline.

FDIC-insured CDs are "safe." Some bonds are "safe." Alas, stocks - even Dividend Champions are not.

Thankfully, your article talked a great deal about "safety" and "risk" as relative when it comes to certain individual stocks. I also believe your use of "safe" probably was talking more about the dividend and about valuation providing a the margin of safety.

As for specifics, it was interesting to see that not a single one of those companies actually is trading below its 7-year P/E listed in the charts. MCD is close, and I am hoping to add a little to my stake soon. I'd like to add more WMT but I remain frustrated by the last dividend raise. I'm not as big a fan of AFL as some are - yield is too low and last divvy hike was disappointing.

Otherwise, it's hard to argue with XOM, CVX, JNJ and PG - though, as you said, it's up to each individual to decide if he/she likes the current value points.

Thanks for the interesting read.

Aug 27 09:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Wow, nicholas.

50K plus SS is well more than the average working American earns now. For a senior who also is on Medicare and who hopefully has low debt (and maybe even no mortgage), it should be more than enough in most cities in the U.S.

I don't know where you live, but I live in Charlotte. 50k plus SS of, say, 36k for a couple - that's more than 7k a month in a fairly low-cost area. Heck, this fictional couple will be doing so well in retirement that staying in a low enough tax bracket will be a far bigger concern than having to choose between Friskies and Meow Mix!

You often make good points on comment streams but you tend to overdo it with hyperbole, exaggeration and downright fact-inventing.

I am nowhere near the 1% but I am debt-free, mortgage-free and living in an affordable area. I have zero doubt - zero! - that my dividend income and SS will be more than enough for my wife and I to thoroughly enjoy our retirement.

Aug 27 09:17 AM | 21 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Waiting Patiently For This Blue Chip REIT To Go On Sale [View article]
    Long NNN and glad I bought a couple years ago. Stay patient, folks.

Aug 27 09:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital: What Comes Next? Part 4 [View article]
    locu:

I decided I was too fearful of PSEC to continue to own it, but you make an excellent point. I wish good fortune for those who hold on.

Aug 27 08:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital: What Comes Next? Part 4 [View article]
    msg:

I don't like PSEC's management, I am glad I sold the little bit of the company's stock I owned and I am comfortable with MAIN as my only BDC.

I don't need PSEC's yield badly enough to deal with its warts. Good luck to those who do.

Aug 27 08:57 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Will Start Social Security At Age 62 [View article]
    Robert:

Very valuable, information-filled and thought-provoking article.

I am nearly 54 and my wife is about 53. I am of the mind to handle things just as you plan to do, but being married we will have other variables to consider.

In 5 years or so, the serious planning will commence. By then, we might have so much dividend income coming in we might tell the government they can keep their SS.

Ha! That's a good one, huh?!?!

I'm taking every cent I have coming to me as early as common sense dictates.

Aug 26 11:50 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Will Start Social Security At Age 62 [View article]
    Excellent point, Eddie.

I think I know now what I want to do - take SS early - but once I get to 60-ish, I might find that other options make more sense.

Aug 26 11:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Will Start Social Security At Age 62 [View article]
    Miz:

The Sugar Mama and I are with you! 62 or as early as makes the most financial sense.

We've got a lot of living to do before we start winding down.

Aug 26 11:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Will Start Social Security At Age 62 [View article]
    Dave:

When I'm chillaxin', I don't WANT to earn more than 15K. I want to be chillaxin'!!

Aug 26 11:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Will Start Social Security At Age 62 [View article]
    4o:

<<What is worse: running out of money before dying or dying without using 'my fair share' of SS?>>

To me, that's one of the beautiful things about DGI: I won't have to make that choice!

I am planning to use Robert's exact strategy, knowing full well that if I combine SS with my dividend income I will have "more than enough." And that, more than any hard $$ total, is my goal. I expect me and my wife to accomplish it easily.

Aug 26 11:34 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Will Start Social Security At Age 62 [View article]
    DGI:

<<I for example expect to move small portions of regular IRA or 401K money into Roth IRA, without triggering any tax liabilities. Therefore, if I haven't done that by age of 62, I would postpone taking SS benefits for as long as possible.>>

This is my plan, too. I turn 54 soon and my wife turns 53. I'm hoping to start conversions in about 5 years and that by the time I'm 63 and she's 62, we already will have converted most of what we want to. We have a couple of non-DGI-strategy accounts we can draw from if we need some cash between 59 and 62/63, but I'll have a better idea of the whole picture in a few years.

All this is interesting stuff to contemplate.

Aug 26 11:31 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Retirement Portfolio Business Plan - Legacy Edition - Part Two [View article]
    Tacoma:

You are the test case for those who say: "Just spend 40 years investing for growth and then you can always switch to DGI."

It's not easy feeling good about pouring a million bucks into a couple dozen stocks in the sixth year of a bull market.

I wish you good fortune.

Aug 26 11:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment