Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 2 [View article]
    Bill:

I don't know if those would constitute a "contrarian" portfolio. Those companies simply are great ones that very well could have been selected as answers to the questions I asked the panelists.

A contrarian buys what others are selling, and vice versa. I don't think most of the panelists were saying, "Sell MO, T, MSFT, etc."

May 28, 2015. 04:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 2 [View article]
    Brad:

I will be reading those WPC and STAG articles. Keep 'em coming!

May 28, 2015. 04:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World: Why I Chose Disney (And Other Alternatives) [View article]
    I know what you mean, UP.

MMM was "overpriced" at 90 in the fall of 2012. I know this, because I reacted to the "noise" and sold a big chunk of overpriced MMM then. After all, a major correction was said to be "imminent."

Had I bought more "overpriced" MMM then instead of selling, I might be another two years closer to retirement now!

I hate paying too much for anything, which includes shares of stock. It has kept me from buying DIS, COST, SBUX and many others. But that philosophy also has helped me make some excellent value buys. One has to weigh everything when one makes a buy (or sell) decision. If it were super-easy, everybody would be rich.

May 28, 2015. 04:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nice, UP. You're big-time. I'm decidedly little time. I don't even want to ref/ump high school because I like my little corner of the sports universe.

May 28, 2015. 04:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Your Retirement Plan Is Probably Wrong [View article]
    mfried:

Excellent point. And even those who are technically millionaires aren't really. They don't have a million bucks available for spending or even available for earning interest, dividends or whatever.

One can have $1 million net worth but have relatively little available capital. Or one can have a $400,000 net worth and have relatively lot.

There's no one-size-fits-all deal.

May 28, 2015. 04:16 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons To Be A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Scott:

Me, too.

Seeing my dividends coming in is just one of the many things that give me pleasure!

May 28, 2015. 04:09 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons To Be A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Hector:

Shouldn't growth investors, total-return investors, fund investors, pretty much all investors try to avoid overpaying for their investments?

For many critics, the most common alternative for DGI is said to be SPY. Why would I want to buy SPY, which most certainly is overvalued now, when I can choose individual companies that are not overvalued?

May 28, 2015. 04:08 PM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons To Be A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Devil:

Smart investors, whether DGI or any other strategy, do not routinely buy overvalued companies.

May 28, 2015. 04:05 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 2 [View article]
    Chowdah:

Every single company you named in your comment is a good one ... but you already knew that.

I prefer MA and V to AXP -- they are more pure "credit card plays." I also had preferred BDX, but I admit I haven't looked at MDT in quite some time.

I keep waiting for the right time to top off my CVX and XOM a little. I know I'm playing with fire and should just do it, but it's almost a little game to play "how low can they go?" I have so much of both that I don't really "need" more, which makes it easier to wait for that "hero" price.

May 28, 2015. 02:35 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 2 [View article]
    Nicholas:

I sold my WMT around the same time you did, at 84 and change. I have to admit that its fall has piqued my interest some. If the first number of its price gets back down to 6, I'd have to seriously think about getting back into it.

WPC is a candidate for my new FRIP account at Scottrade.

May 28, 2015. 02:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 2 [View article]
    CH1P:

You just reminded me that I forgot to give the panelists my bill for $25K each for "organizing costs." Ha!

May 28, 2015. 02:31 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 2 [View article]
    jones:

GILD at under 80 -- nicely done! I got mine in the upper 90s and already wishing I had bought more!!

May 28, 2015. 02:30 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 2 [View article]
    mbn:

I actually thought MO might be the better answer for No. 1, but it's hard to argue about MO ever!

Yeah ... DLR ... Brad does like that one an awful lot. He must think it's not value-priced now.

May 28, 2015. 02:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 2 [View article]
    zoral:

You've added 4 good ones!

May 28, 2015. 02:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    Chowdah:

FYI, Part 2 just hit the site -- and you're in there, too. You're everywhere!!

May 28, 2015. 02:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment