Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Growth Strategy: Benchmark Your Way To Success [View article]
    I drank lots of Schlitz in college - Marquette U 1978-82. It was the beer that made Milwaukee famous ... till Stroh's bought it and moved it to Detroit.

Mar 27, 2015. 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Krafting' Success For My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    KRFT almost hit 90 today. Pretty amazing stuff.

Mar 27, 2015. 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Krafting' Success For My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    I will admit to liking the spicy beanburgers that Costco sells, though. Grill 'em, put 'em on a toasted bun, add guac and salsa ... wow!

Mar 27, 2015. 12:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    After doing some DD on WFC ...

Aside from the small stake I bought for the DG50 portfolio, I have decided to pass. It gets a 3 Safety score on Value Line and it is rated only a "hold" by almost every analyst Fidelity offers in its research package. Plus, the 2.5% yield doesn't especially impress me.

I know it is a fine bank, but it would have had to wow me for me to buy it. It hasn't. I wish good fortune to all those holding or buying it.

Mar 27, 2015. 12:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Financial Freedom 50 [View article]
    Hi Faye.

First, thanks for the shoutout. I continue to believe in "high quality + fair value + dividend growth = ahhhhh." (And I admit it is a more folksy version of equations espoused by everybody from Lowell Miller to Chowder.)

Today, "fair value" is the tricky part of the equation, as you so aptly wrote about in this article.

I cannot tell you when to buy and what to buy, but I can briefly mention two things that applied to me. You might or might not find them helpful.

1. I am more comfortable holding cash than some of my DGI colleagues. I have very little bond exposure, so cash serves as ballast for an otherwise stock-heavy portfolio. At least as importantly, cash can be spent when companies I want come into fair value or better. Only you can decide your comfort level as you deploy your cash stash.

2. I had a couple of sizable lump sums to invest over the past few years. The first came when I started getting into DGI in 2012. I deployed my cash fairly slowly and really tried to be disciplined when it came to valuations. Looking back, I wish I had just used it all on my 20-30 best ideas, because it turned out to be a great time to buy. I again had a decent sized cash position in the summer/fall of 2013, and this time I did deploy most of it in a fairly short period of time on some of the DGI names I wanted. It wasn't as good a time to buy as the spring of 2012, but it wasn't bad.

Unfortunately, we don't know in advance when a "good time to buy" is. Some of my colleagues would use the adage that it is a good time to buy good companies any time you have cash to spend, but I never have been comfortable with that.

We're now into Year 7 of a bull market. Pundits have been calling for a major correction since Year 2, and one of these days it's going to happen. Of course, "one of these days" might not arrive for 3 or 5 or 10 more years. Or it might arrive next week. That's part of the "fun"!!

I know it isn't easy to decide to go all-in on stocks now. I struggle even with the little bits of cash I come up with, so I'm sure a big lump sum makes decisions even more difficult.

I wish you good fortune -- you deserve it!

Mar 27, 2015. 10:46 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get Ready For The Kraft Heinz Company [View article]
    jon:

I believe he does: http://bit.ly/1F0Wolf

Mar 27, 2015. 10:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Generating Income From Dividend Growth [View article]
    Dale:

You certainly are entitled to promote your work at every possible opportunity. But to present "what really (likely) happened" as some kind of fact-based study is, well, (likely) disingenuous.

Mar 27, 2015. 10:21 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Changes For The First Quarter Of 2015 [View article]
    A.P.:

Nice calls on PM, ESV and WBA. Interesting that you turned right around and put your WBA profits into GE; hopefully that works out for you. It's a lot of trading, more than I'm comfortable with, but that's what makes a market -- lots of different strategies and focuses.

I am hanging on to PM, and am looking forward to buying more at a discount through dripping. It's just too hard for me to make trading calls on a company like that. As you know, I also sold ESV at a loss before it got really bloody.

I especially appreciate your articles on the biotech industry and you helped me finalize my decisions to buy AMGN and GILD. I'm looking to top them off as cash becomes available and valuations merit.

Have a good one.

Mar 27, 2015. 10:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Krafting' Success For My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    MW:

And I apologize for calling your statement a "view." You did get on a soapbox to discuss something important than you, but your subject matter certainly is a fact.

Mar 27, 2015. 09:34 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Krafting' Success For My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    musk:

We don't know yet when the ex-div date on the special will be. I will, however, speculate that those who are selling now will not get the special. It's hard to imagine that if you don't own KRFT at the time the deal actually is finalized -- and we are still weeks or even months away from that happening -- that you will be rewarded with the special dividend.

Most sellers probably don't care about that, though. They figure they are locking in the equivalent of the special dividend -- and then some -- by selling now. At least that's what I would be thinking if I were selling.

Mar 27, 2015. 09:32 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Krafting' Success For My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Rich:

Very, very helpful comment and links. Thanks.

Mar 27, 2015. 09:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Krafting' Success For My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Boom:

I'll put you on the list!

Who knew this was gonna turn into a cooking show?

Mar 27, 2015. 09:28 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Krafting' Success For My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Minutemen:

Thanks for yet another very useful comment.

Mar 27, 2015. 09:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Krafting' Success For My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    MW:

I am not a science denier. I am often accused of being a liberal (although I actually am a registered Independent). This simply is an issue that I cannot get my hackles up about. My brain can only process a certain number of life-or-death issues. Seriously. I'm not being sarcastic!

Plus, I happen to like the taste of beef. So my personal prejudices get in the way.

Here's hoping we both live long, productive lives.

Mar 27, 2015. 09:26 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Nicholas:

I bought GILD and AMGN in early February and wrote about the reasons here: http://bit.ly/1FUuveh Obviously, I wish I had climbed aboard much earlier. I'll gladly add to both as available cash allows and prudent valuations merit.

I have to look more into WFC, as I have been so anti-U.S. bank since the big meltdown that I haven't even considered them. WFC was the only bank that made the Dividend Growth 50 -- meaning many respected SA contributors give it the thumbs-up -- and it's owned by you, Chuck Carnevale and countless others I follow. So maybe I need to put my emotions on hold and do some due diligence.

Mar 27, 2015. 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment