Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
    dunk:

One of my biggest regrets as an investor was selling half my MMM stake in the fall of 2012. Oh well. Hopefully the pretty girl will give me another chance!

Jan 21, 2015. 08:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    BHN:

Interesting alternative.

With GE, I bought a fairly large stake nearly 7 years ago and I am loathe to sell any now that its dividend finally is doing what I expect. Plus, I think there is room for capital gains, too. It's one of those deals where I know that as soon as I sell, it will skyrocket that week - ha!

Jan 21, 2015. 08:30 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Roady:

Sounds like you and I bought WAG (now WBA) at about the same time. I got my stake at 30, also.

I sold about 40% of my stake in October 2013. It hasn't been as bad a decision as my MMM sale the previous year was, in great part because I replaced it with companies that have performed well for me, most notably BAX.

It's always hard to argue against JNJ. It even had a bit of a dip here recently.

Ultimately -- and this sounds like a wimpy thing to say -- it does come down to what you expect from your individual holdings and how they fit within an overall portfolio. For my purposes, I think I'm holding approximately the right amount of WBA. It's one of a handful I'm thinking about turning off the drip on because I think my future money could be better spent, but I haven't done it yet.

Jan 21, 2015. 08:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    heg:

Thanks. I hope this article can help you in some small way.

Jan 21, 2015. 08:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Small:

I definitely hear what you're saying. You and I are in similar boats.

Jan 21, 2015. 08:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    maybe:

Sorry, I didn't see your comment before I responded to Craig's. Please see that response.

The Cliffs Notes version: The article wasn't intended to be about my individual stocks, it was about offering an alternate way to weight a portfolio. Toward that purpose, I really could have chosen any stocks.

But again, yes, I probably should have more firm criteria for how I choose this, that and the other thing for which tier.

Jan 21, 2015. 08:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Craig:

Those are all fair points.

The last time I checked NNN it was BBB, but that was a while back. I am far more likely to use Value Line. Aside from GE, all of my Superstars and Role Players are 1s or 2s, and most are 1s.

Some of the companies reached a tier based on their size. For example, I decided to make WEC a larger holding than LMT a while back; in the meantime, LMT became overvalued and added fees to the DRiP I had been building the position through.

I agree that I probably should have a more objective measure than I have, but this article wasn't really about my own personal tiers. It was about an alternate way to weight one's portfolio.

Jan 21, 2015. 08:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    George:

You made the case for equal weighting quite nicely, and I talked about it in an earlier comment. Could I have articulated it in the article? I guess I could have, and maybe I should have.

Jan 21, 2015. 08:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Scott:

To me, the income from COST would be a bonus.

Jan 21, 2015. 08:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DJ:

The Pats offered more return on the investment in Tom Brady's first few years! Let's see what happens this year.

Jan 21, 2015. 08:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    clark:

I hope that, in the long run, DGI is more successful than Billy Beane was this past fall!

Jan 21, 2015. 08:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    U.P.:

Thank goodness Dividend Aristocrats are far more reliable than the Cubbies!!

Jan 21, 2015. 08:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Gary and Hardog:

I appreciate the sentiments.

Jan 21, 2015. 08:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Scott:

I hope you'll write about your experiment one day. Your comments are always filled with great insight, and you have been a valuable voice in the DG50 project.

I have a lot of buying to do before COST is ready to move up, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. I'm such a Costco cheerleader I almost embarrass myself!

Jan 21, 2015. 12:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    dk:

<<My concern is that a stock price could fall for a long time before it cuts or freezes its dividend. I hope I have the ability to stay the course. >>

This is a common concern and it underscores the importance (in my mind, anyway) of going with the highest-quality companies I can to make me avoid reacting on price movement.

Might PG or MMM cut its dividend? I suppose, but I if it happens I think there will be other more serious troubles in the world.

Jan 21, 2015. 12:11 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment