Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 10 Dividend Growth Stocks For Your Retirement Portfolio's Aggregate Yield 4.3%: Part 2 [View article]
    Gary:

Sometimes it is too late to wait for a cut. Ask GE holders in 2009. By the time they finally cut the divvy -- not long after their CEO assured stockholders the divvy would be fine -- the stock price was down 90%.

Sometimes a fairly astute investor can see the writing on the wall, as was the case with SDRL and other drillers last year and early this year. The losses were still deep but not as bad as if one waited for after the cut.

Aug 26, 2015. 09:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Kinder Morgan Is Too Much For A Dividend Growth Investor? - Part 2 [View article]
    Didn't matter what China did ... we're set for a big open here.

Aug 26, 2015. 09:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    Chowdah:

I don't understand why you don't like limit orders.

If you want a company and you buy it market order, in the seconds it takes to execute, the stock you thought you were buying at 22.35 could end up costing you 22.85. And given that you are working in accounts with a finite amount of money (as I understand your son's account to be), aren't you concerned something like that could put you over cash available?

I always use limit orders in those situations. And I almost always use them, period. I want to know that if I'm committing to pay $23 for something, that is the most I can possibly pay for it. Early on, being too much of a stickler cost me some stocks, but that hasn't been a problem in recent years now that I understand the system (and myself) better. I just shift the limit order a few cents if necessary.

Aug 26, 2015. 12:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    As I sit here right now, the Chinese markets are down a little. Sure not up 11%, unless I'm missing something.

Aug 25, 2015. 11:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: When There Is Blood In The Streets, Will You Become A Vampire? [View article]
    NYer:

I guess we'll see.

I've stopped trying to predict the overall market. I shouldn't have though -- the opposite of whatever I predicted usually was a pretty good market indicator!!

Aug 25, 2015. 06:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Evaluating Your Risk Tolerance Can Be Gut-Wrenching But Vital [View article]
    TWW:

Not enough fun to justify the purchases, in hindsight. A couple of trips we took ... now THOSE were fun.

Aug 25, 2015. 05:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    As mentioned, over the last couple of days, I indeed have swapped about 2/3 of my GE to strengthen my MMM position.

I tried to get at least passable sale prices for GE together with decent buy prices for MMM. I dilly-dallied a little too long and didn't sell my last tranche of GE before today's late selloff. If tomorrow is as ugly a day as it very well might be and it gives me a chance to get the rest of my MMM at a bargain-bin price, I'll buy it and just wait to sell the last of my GE eventually. It's all good!

Aug 25, 2015. 04:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Ted:

<<Even BBL announced a divvy increase>>

Well, kind of.

The $1.24 it will pay in September is the same it paid last March AND September 2014.

But, yes, the $2.48 it will pay this year is 2.5% more than it paid in 2014, when its March payout was $1.18.

I'm a little relieved it didn't cut and other investors must have been, too, as BBL actually finished 2%+ up on the day despite a pretty horrific earnings report.

BBL is my smallest what I would call a "full" position. The amount I have is more than enough "fun," thank you!!!!

Aug 25, 2015. 04:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Lots -- maybe even the vast majority -- of people spend whatever they have coming in. This is especially the case for younger people, not necessarily because they are more frivolous with their cash (although that might be true) but because they are independent and feeling flush for the first time in their lives.

I know it was the case when I was in my 20s. I moved pretty quickly up the salary ladder but managed to spend pretty much whatever I brought in. I wish like hell I had invested the money I spent on even half the unnecessary cars and toys I bought.

In my case, youth definitely was wasted on the young!!!

Aug 25, 2015. 03:47 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    CNG:

<<Internet brings to us enormous amounts of info; it's up to each individual learn how to use them; take what you need.>>

Well said. Beats the heck out of arguing for the sake of arguing, as some enjoy tremendously.

Aug 25, 2015. 03:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    gabby:

I knew you were smart!

Aug 25, 2015. 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Be Long Procter & Gamble? [View article]
    Yiannis:

<<For long-termed investors, all these stock price changes is irrelevant. Dividend is the name of the game and the last 5 years P&G is great in doing so.>>

I am long PG, one of my biggest positions, and am more likely to add to it than to sell any. However ...

What really is relevant are earnings, which have hit a bit of a bump in the road in recent years. You need earnings to GET the good dividends. PG's payout ratio has climbed and climbed and climbed, and it resulted in them only being able to raise the dividend 3% this year.

I agree with the thesis that PG is going to emerge from its re-sizing in better shape. If I didn't, I'd be selling.

Aug 25, 2015. 09:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Be Long Procter & Gamble? [View article]
    Yep, I sold half of my KMI when it started supplying 5.5% of my income, which at the time was highest in my portfolio. I don't like any one company supplying more than 5% of my income. Right now, T and PM are just under that. FWIW.

Aug 25, 2015. 09:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The True Risk To Your Dividends And What Not To Sell [View article]
    John:

Three simple words:

I liked it!

Aug 25, 2015. 09:08 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Oh, Blue, don't you know that you aren't supposed to have your own goal? You are supposed to have a goal that some anonymous internet poster says is better for you, even if he/she doesn't know anything about you!

Aug 25, 2015. 09:01 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment