Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend-Stingy Wal-Mart Was Already On Probation, So What Now? [View article]
    maybe & UP:

Excellent conversation about Industrials.

There indeed is quite a crossover into other sectors, and not just for Industrials.

Feb 22, 2015. 01:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Boom:

You make a compelling argument for BIP.

Feb 22, 2015. 01:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    nicholas & Boom:

BIP and CMP both get 3 Safety scores on Value Line. I'm not looking to add a speculative position at this time but I will keep them on my watch list for when I might be more open to it.

Feb 22, 2015. 11:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    UP:

I already have a large TGT stake and was too chicken to add to it during last year's woes. Thumbs-up to you for taking advantage of that great opportunity.

Feb 22, 2015. 10:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Over Think It, Buy Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    I have just enough money available in one of my accounts to top off JNJ at $96.22.

If it gets there, I will happily buy a few more shares. If it doesn't, I'm content that JNJ already is my largest holding.

I never say never, but it's hard to imagine ever selling JNJ.

Feb 22, 2015. 10:18 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Myer:

It's all about being comfortable with one's investments. I never write to talk investors into or out of any companies or any strategies. I write to express what's going through my mind and to engender discussion that might help everybody.

Feb 22, 2015. 10:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Boom:

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or to the community in general, but speaking for me alone ... I actually have had two of my better nights of sleep the last two since I started thinking about this. My main source of sleep loss has come from trying to figure out the various strategies I will ask my basketball team to deploy in Tuesday's championship game!

And speaking for the group ... I don't detect very much lost sleep from the WMT situtaion, just a discussion about situations, strategies and options.

Feb 22, 2015. 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    gld:

Rant away. That's what we're here for!

Feb 22, 2015. 10:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Roady:

I bought AFL in the summer of 2012 at $41 when it was yielding in the mid-3s and was depressed with the Japanese economy experiencing historically bad problems.

I sold AFL in the fall of 2013 at $63 after it announced what I considered a mediocre dividend hike (5.7%) and had run up so much that its yield was down to the low-2s.

I used the proceeds to add on to my stakes in KO, TGT, O and MO at considerable discounts. While AFL has gone absolutely nowhere since, trading in a narrow range and giving shareholders yet another mediocre divvy increase, all four of the companies I bought have experienced very nice paper gains and dividend growth.

I have written a great deal about my investing mistakes because I believe we all learn a lot from our boo-boos. But I do occasionally make a good call or two! (I'll try not to sprain anything while patting myself on the back.)

Feb 22, 2015. 10:07 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Eric:

I think you're right and I look forward to reading your article.

Are you planning to buy something with the proceeds or are you going to hold cash for a spell?

Feb 22, 2015. 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ron:

<<If I reached the decision to sell, I would dump it and decide what to do with the money later>>

In many cases, maybe even most cases, I would agree with you here. But it's not as if WMT is LNCO or PSEC or SDRL or some of those other highly speculative companies I would be uncomfortable holding. Nor has it cut or even frozen its dividend. It is an industry leader that, for two years anyway, has been less than optimal for my philosophy and goals.

If I hold WMT, I probably will not regret it long-term. So I want to feel I am actually improving my situation before I sell it. Does that make sense?

Feb 21, 2015. 11:56 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Your Story? Dividend Growth Investing's Business Model [View article]
    DVK:

Yes, I love the contrast. You certainly could expand it some to make it an article.

Feb 21, 2015. 11:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • For Some Baby Boomers, Retirement Might Mean A Part-Time Job [View article]
    PM101:

I realize that some folks have had unfortunate circumstances.

For those, I am especially glad that Social Security will be there as a safety net.

One thing about the whole part-time job conversation: Many seniors will have trouble landing even menial work. There is a lot of age-ism out there. Plus, many will not be healthy enough to work. In other words, it certainly isn't wise to count on getting part-time work once one hits 60 or 70 or older.

Feb 21, 2015. 11:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    aida:

Great comment with lots of excellent points.

Yes, sometimes one can get too much advice. I know that when I shop for an appliance or something, I go online and am deluged by the amount of advice from people who love it or hate it.

I don't think this is one of those times, though. Fellow investors are suggesting names. It is then up to me (and other interested parties) to do my due diligence, and I am well on my way toward doing it.

I never considered selling MMM because of its dividend. I stupidly sold some of my position because I was convinced by outside voices that it was overvalued and a correction was imminent. I was a lot less mentally strong as an investor then.

And if I buy EMR, the dividend will be only part of the reason -- an important part, but not the sole reason. It's a Dividend Aristocrat with 58 consecutive years of hikes and it's actually on sale right now. So I see the divvies and the value.

WMT is somewhat overvalued and it has stopped becoming a reliable dividend grower. It still is a dominant name in its industry. So those things must be balanced.

After doing my due diligence, I will make the move that's right for me -- at least that is my hope.

Feb 21, 2015. 11:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Aaron:

Thanks. I did happen to see Dividend Mantra's article and I did check out PX a little. I thought it was slightly overvalued and I wasn't sure I wanted the combination of that and a low-ish yield. But I might take another look.

Feb 21, 2015. 11:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment