Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why I Purchased Schwab's U.S Dividend Equity ETF As A Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    DN:

<<My portfolio yield is 3.8%, same as your if I recall, and by investing in an ETF like SCHD would drop that income by about 1%. If the income is going to drop, I would rather use that 1% to pay an advisor to maintain our DG stock portfolio and also guide my wife and children in other financial matters that arise as we age.>>

Interesting alternative. Thanks for presenting it.

Apr 21, 2015. 10:05 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    varan:

Me: "Honey, let me tell you about what I'm investing in and why."

Wife: "No thanks. I trust you."

It has nothing to do with gender; everything to do with interest level. My wife is a pediatric RN. I have no interest in anything having to do with medicine.

Besides, there are plenty of female DGIs who say similar things about their husbands' interest level in investing (or lack thereof).

I've prattled on enough. I know you were just being snarky and "provocative." And dopey me ... I took the bait.

Now, excuse me while I get back to the incense and chants.

Apr 21, 2015. 10:03 AM | 18 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Costco, Already A Street Darling, Now Belle Of The Ball Thanks To Sweet Deal With Visa, Citi [View article]
    Myth:

So you like the shopping experience at Costco enough to spend 10K per year there, but as soon as they change their credit-card partner -- which will cost you nothing, BTW -- you are vowing to never go there?

That is almost the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I sincerely doubt many longtime loyal Costco customers will follow your lead.

Apr 21, 2015. 08:46 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2020: What The Restructured GE Will Look Like [View article]
    Dave:

Thanks for expounding on your thoughts.

Apr 21, 2015. 08:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why 3M Shareholders Keep Building Wealth Each Decade [View article]
    Tim:

MMM is a great company for all the reasons you mentioned here -- and more. Extremely deep moat, as all the MMM-wannabes fall way short.

I'm happy to say I have a large stake in MMM, purchased in 2008, and that I have been dripping ever since.

I'm unhappy to say I sold half of my MMM in the fall of 2012 at $93 because I thought it was overvalued, because I thought a correction was imminent and because I let myself get talked into the notion that "taking profits is never a mistake."

Well, taking profits in one of the world's best companies turned out to be a major mistake, as was listening to other noise. I don't blame the pundits or anybody else; I blame myself for not being confident enough to follow my own research and instincts.

I won't make that mistake again. MMM's dividends will help pay for my wants and needs in retirement, and my kids will benefit from the MMM they inherit one day.

Apr 20, 2015. 11:40 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    gabby:

I have found that to be the case pretty much since I started with DGI about 3 1/2 years ago. In the spring/summer of 2012, I was determined to be ultra-disciplined and I was determined only to pay "my price." As a result, I missed out on buying dozens of great companies at very good valuations. I would have been much, much better off if, after identifying the high-quality companies I wanted to own, I had just bought them.

Now for sure, this isn't 2012 any more and lots of these are overvalued. But as you said, as recently as just a few months ago, I got what in retrospect were pretty good deals.

I still am a stickler for valuation -- actually more of a stickler now -- but I do see what is meant by "the best time to invest in great companies is any time you have money."

Apr 20, 2015. 10:57 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    as:

I see it now. As I said, that's surprising. Thanks for pointing it out.

Apr 20, 2015. 10:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2020: What The Restructured GE Will Look Like [View article]
    Dave:

I'm not terribly impressed with what I've read about what the SYF deal will do for GE holders.

Apr 20, 2015. 10:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    as:

I haven't done the research, but double-digit divvy growth seems high while 6.44% seems realistic.

Apr 20, 2015. 08:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Core Healthcare Companies In My Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    broken:

Yep ... I'm hoping that by the time I'm spending my dividends, I will get to spend them on something other than the health care I need to stay alive!

Apr 20, 2015. 08:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    gabby:

I'm not sure what you're asking. Am I glad I bought most of these companies for the DG50 when the prices were lower rather than when they were higher? Yes. Do I feel that many (perhaps even most) of these companies have become overvalued? Yes. Do I wish I could change the DG50 rules I have established for myself so I could sell some of the overvalued ones? No.

Apr 20, 2015. 04:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    barry:

Well, I kind of did. With the DG50, I invested in fifty equal-weight positions and will let the group run as kind of a passive index.

Anybody can do the same ... although I grant you that a 25K minimum is a little steep!!

Apr 20, 2015. 03:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2020: What The Restructured GE Will Look Like [View article]
    Felix:

I sold half my stake on Friday, also missing the peak by about a buck. I'm hanging on to the other half for now, but you might have the better solution!

Good fortune to you, too.

Apr 20, 2015. 03:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2020: What The Restructured GE Will Look Like [View article]
    Rude:

That's very pragmatic. My plan is to chill a bit, wait for the companies I want to replace GE with in my portfolio to reach my buy zones and then reassess. But I could end up selling more GE down the line. I'm willing to be patient now that GE isn't such a huge player in my portfolio.

Apr 20, 2015. 12:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2020: What The Restructured GE Will Look Like [View article]
    jonas:

Like Rich, I would love to know if Felix did indeed sell all 50K shares at "the slightest uptick" -- which would mean he missed out on at least $3/share gain.

Ah, what's $150K among friends?

Apr 20, 2015. 10:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment