Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend-Stingy Wal-Mart Was Already On Probation, So What Now? [View article]
    heg:

Thanks for that reminder. I knew it, too.

Feb 21, 2015. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • For Some Baby Boomers, Retirement Might Mean A Part-Time Job [View article]
    Loop (and varan):

When financial planners and pundits toss around figures -- you will need 75% or 85% or 100% or 110% of your income in retirement -- it makes me frown. These kinds of one-size-fits-all "rules of thumb" are woefully inadequate and do not take into account dozens (or even hundreds) of facts about individual retirees and their lifestyles.

Loop, you touched on another thing these guesstimates almost always fail to account for: investing. For me and my wife, investing is our single biggest "cost." When we retire, we will stop contributing tens of thousands of dollars to our 401ks and Roth IRAs. That "expense" will go to zero, freeing up significant money for our needs and wants and fun.

Because we sock away as much as we can now, we have gotten used to living on a fraction of what we will receive in dividends and Social Security when we are retired. I doubt we'll need even 50% of our current income to live extremely full, fun, financially free lives.

Feb 21, 2015. 12:38 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making The Plays In Your Own Retirement [View article]
    I am a participant AND a second-guesser! They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I try not to get obsessive about it, but I'm always reviewing my buys, my sells, my should-have-boughts and my should-have-solds. For me, examining my moves and my motives for them helps me learn.

Feb 21, 2015. 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Your Story? Dividend Growth Investing's Business Model [View article]
    Dave:

You just showed you aren't a pure capitalist, because instead of "wasting" this as a comment, it could have been a whole 'nother article that could have generated income for you!

Joking aside ... wow ... that is some great food for thought.

Feb 21, 2015. 10:13 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Your Story? Dividend Growth Investing's Business Model [View article]
    Planning:

My goal is, simply, to have "more than enough." It is then up to me to come up with a number.

Again, I see no mention of where Social Security fits into your plan. There are people who live on only SS -- I wouldn't do it, but it is possible. So having SS as well as a good dividend stream would make for a comfortable retirement in many, many areas of the U.S.

Feb 21, 2015. 10:10 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Your Story? Dividend Growth Investing's Business Model [View article]
    DVK:

-30- was an old-timey way for newspaper reporters to let their editors know that their articles had ended, ensuring that the editors didn't think there was more to come. It came to be used in numerous publishing situations.

I think it would be great to bring it back to life!

-30-
    Feb 21, 2015. 10:08 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    User:

Thanks for the TXN recommendation. I'll take a look at it and I'm sure many other readers will, too.

The others are already on my list for consideration and further DD.

Feb 21, 2015. 09:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chowdah:

Absolutely, the trend is our friend. I do not like companies that have severe downward trends in their DG, and WMT certainly qualifies there.

Feb 21, 2015. 09:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Boom:

You make excellent points and underscore why I am considering selling.

Feb 21, 2015. 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    D.H.:

Thanks for that helpful info.

Feb 21, 2015. 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    B.T.:

Glad I was able to anticipate your every need. Now you see why my wife is so happy with me!!

If I decide to sell WMT, I don't think it will have been a hasty decision at all. It has been on probation for a year after its pitiful divvy hike of 2014! Had I sold back then, it might have been hasty. Two consecutive years might not be a "trend," but it sure is the start of one. If nothing else, it signals that WMT management does not value dividends as much as I do.

Congrats on getting MSFT at a great price - I'd happily accept that!

If I sell WMT, my leaders in the clubhouse as I sit here right now are MSFT, EMR and TROW. But I'm not close to making any buy decisions yet.

Feb 21, 2015. 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kolpin:

Those are great questions! I will be asking myself some of them and seeing how I answer them as I contemplate exactly what I'm going to do.

Just off the top of my bald head ...

I will say that if I sold GIS back then, I would like to think I would have replaced it with something as good or better for my needs.

But, as I said, you have given us some thought-provoking stuff here. So I will let my thoughts be provoked!

Feb 21, 2015. 08:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Boom:

Thanks. CMP also has been added to the list for further research.

Feb 21, 2015. 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    joni:

<<Your article has caused quite a number of suggestions from your readers, which pleases me greatly as it's fun to check out new companies I haven't researched.>>

I like that, too. These kinds of comment streams end up being similar to long articles that offer excellent investment options. We have a lot of pretty darn sharp readers/investors in our SA "neighborhood"!

Feb 21, 2015. 08:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    joni:

No worries. I didn't mean to imply anything dopey with my comment, either.

Feb 21, 2015. 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment