Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why Dividend Growth Investing Is Not Always Best [View article]
    Meanwhile, as for the headline ...

Have I ever said that Dividend Growth Investing is always the best for every investor? Has Dave Van Knapp ever said it? Has Chowder? Has Bob Wells? Has Dave Crosetti? Has Eli Inkrot? Has Tim McAleenan? Has Eddie Herring? Has Rosenose? Has geekette? Has Dividend House? Has Chuck Carnevale?

Who is the headline meant for?

Jul 31, 2015. 03:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dumbest Argument Against Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    Zugz:

Duly noted. Although I happen to think there is a far better chance that users of other strategies (and DGI, for that matter) will see major price declines before I see so many dividend cuts that it will ruin my retirement, I fully acknowledge that several of the companies I own could cut dividends. On the risk/reward scale we all must deal with, it is a risk I have decided I am willing to take.

For those who own only growth companies or a growth/value hybrid portfolio or a growth/value/gold hybird portfolio, or mostly gold and bonds or mostly commodities or you name it, are there not risks?

I mean, those who held index funds in 2006 -- just as John Bogle recommended -- saw their investments halved by mid-2009. I know because I was one of them.

Even those holding all-cash portfolios face serious risks, namely in spending power because of inflation.

Again, I'm waiting for something better for me than the way I have chosen to practice DGI.

Jul 31, 2015. 03:20 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dumbest Argument Against Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    giorgio:

So YOU were the jerk that caused Kodak to go out of business!!!

Jul 31, 2015. 03:12 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Second Quarter 2015 Portfolio Review - Building Quality, Income And Dividend Growth [View article]
    2Reb:

You tried this argument in another thread. I am not going to repeat my response here, but suffice it to say that you did not try to counter it in the other thread.

Jul 31, 2015. 03:10 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Kinder Morgan Is Too Much For A Dividend Growth Investor? [View article]
    Gary:

I saw it and responded in the comment stream of Ted's article. Basically, I said I'm working on trying to understand KMI better, part of the process of trying to decide how much KMI I want to keep (if any).

Jul 31, 2015. 03:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Gary:

Something else to ponder. Oh goody - ha!

Jul 31, 2015. 03:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Timing Is Not Appropriate For Retired Investors [View article]
    That's right, Robert. I pay you big bucks to be my P.R. agent!!!

Jul 31, 2015. 03:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    2Reb:

Fair enough.

Oh, and just for accuracy stake: I am calling it the DG50. No "I" in the title. (Kinda sounds like that old corny saying, "There's no I in team.")

Jul 31, 2015. 03:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoiding The Endowment Effect: Should Mike Sell? [View article]
    Thanks Gary. I am glad you just said that. It is very good advice.

I have been trying to understand KMI better. As you said, it's not an easy one to know. Not for me, anyway.

Jul 31, 2015. 02:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dumbest Argument Against Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    Robert:

True dat. And DGI actually might be the only strategy capable of helping me achieve my goals.

So I would have to change my goals before I'd be open to another strategy. Which certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. I've done it before. I'd just rather not do it again right now.

Jul 31, 2015. 02:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dumbest Argument Against Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    Zugz:

I guess we'll see.

Just as my mind was open before I started using DGI 3 1/2 years ago, my mind is open now. If somebody can show me a strategy that guarantees success -- or even steers me toward a highly more likely shot at success -- I'd listen.

But again, I've only been at this a short time. So far, it has been far better than anything I tried before, and I'd like to give it a chance to succeed.

Jul 31, 2015. 02:52 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dumbest Argument Against Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    Zugz:

<<How come a value strategy excludes * THE * reference for Value Investing out there... Berkshire Hathaway?>>

Because BRK doesn't fit the subset to that value strategy, DGI. And you already knew that.

Jul 31, 2015. 02:11 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dumbest Argument Against Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    Dave:

I'm in a fairly similar position, with my portfolio being mostly complete. I did just sell BAX and its spin-off, BXLT, so I now have more cash that I've had in awhile. But I'm trying not to let it burn a hole in my pocket. I am determined to buy only high-quality companies that I believe fit my portfolio and to get them at great value points. I have learned the hard way that patience almost always gets rewarded.

Jul 31, 2015. 02:09 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dumbest Argument Against Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    Zugz:

I'm cool with all of that. But can't the same be said about pretty much any strategy?

Jul 31, 2015. 01:26 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dumbest Argument Against Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    Dave:

When you do find something compelling enough to buy, you damn well better write about it to clue the rest of us in!!!!

Jul 31, 2015. 01:25 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment