Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With Rosenose [View article]
    I have great respect for Rose, even if she is a Badger!

Mike (Marquette 1982)
    May 19, 2015. 10:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Introduction: Starting From Scratch And Learning Along The Way [View article]
    Scott:

Thanks for the shout-out and for linking to my article. I will follow your portfolio-building progress with interest.

My one suggestion would be that you remain flexible with your choice of companies. You will be building this portfolio over a number of years, and it's possible that one of the DG50 choices you made for my series will no longer be very attractive for whatever reason in, say, 2017.

Knowing you, I am confident that in such a case you would avoid such a company and buy something better!

May 19, 2015. 10:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart Is A Buy Into Earnings [View article]
    <<Finally, the company pays a consistent growing dividend>>

Consistently bad, if one looks at the past two years -- 2.1% each year.

A company with a 2.5% yield and 2.1% dividend growth can barely be classified as one that would interest DGIs. I sold mine at 84, replaced it with better dividend growers and haven't looked back.

May 19, 2015. 09:52 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends At A Reasonable Price: BCE [View article]
    Faye:

I have almost sold my BCE about a half-dozen times but I have decided to let my medium-size position be, collect divvies and live happily ever after.

For now, anyway!

Thanks for the informative article.

May 19, 2015. 09:48 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson: The 'Tragedy' Of Paying 17 Times Earnings [View article]
    Anthony:

Who knows ... maybe it will be JNJ.

I get what you're saying, but JNJ and MO were hardly "upstart kids" 40 years ago. For one thing, JNJ already was more than a decade into a consecutive dividend streak that now is at 50+ years.

My point was all we can do is own quality. Yes, that definition can change over time, but in general, quality lasts. That's why it's quality.

May 18, 2015. 10:34 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warning: Don't Let Market Hype Cause You To Miss This Total Return Opportunity [View article]
    sml:

<<Someone like Bob Wells, who's positions are all beta <1 as part of his "Business Management Plan", would not be happy.>>

No. Someone like Bob Wells simply would not buy this particular stock.

There are lots of stocks out there. Just because I choose not to buy one doesn't mean I am angry at it!

May 18, 2015. 10:25 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Also good news:

It looks like the usual trolls have stopped by!

May 18, 2015. 10:23 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    Currant, kolpin, peace, etc:

Yes, I now finally see the product. I am going to buy some this week!!!

Thanks one and all!

May 18, 2015. 10:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave:

Not to mention the fact that Chuck uses the words Total Return (and not dividend growth) right in the doggone headline!!

May 18, 2015. 04:13 PM | 21 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends At A Reasonable Price - Part 2 [View article]
    Hilo:

I'll be honored just to break into the Top 10.

That way I can blindly follow the first nine.

May 18, 2015. 03:56 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    Scott:

I like to grill mine on a cedar plank. But I also grill it sometimes on lightly greased alum foil. Either way, delish!

May 18, 2015. 03:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    I believe you, Peace, but I do not see a product like this advertised on the Nexcare or 3M sites.

I see plenty of tape, but all of it is for holding gauze or some other sterile wound covering in place.

May 18, 2015. 03:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Cash Is King [View article]
    This is always an interesting discussion.

Lots of people believe they have the ability to spot market tops and/or market bottoms. I wish I had this ability but admit that I do not.

So many people believe they have insight to "absolute truths." Thus, we get those who say Cash is King and others who say cash is useless. I'm a big "gray area" guy, but what do I know?

About 2/3 of my portfolio is invested in proven, blue-chip, dividend-growing companies. But that means 1/3 isn't. I have some $$ in Vanguard Wellington, some in a "stable-value" fund and, yes, a little investable $$ in cash. "Investable" is defined as above and beyond my emergency fund, and it's about 7-10% of my portfolio.

That breakdown fits my investing personality and my comfort level. I'm trying to figure out how somebody who doesn't know me could tell me I'm "wrong." I certainly would never presume to tell others -- be they fully invested or holding 50% cash -- that they are "wrong."

If you convince me that I am "wrong" and I immediately invest the rest of my cash today at your insistence, will you reimburse me for my losses if the market tanks?

I didn't think so.

May 18, 2015. 11:53 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    suncoaster:

All of those appear to be the kind of tape one uses to secure gauze pads. Peace was talking about a tube of stuff one can squeeze on that acts like a "liquid band-aid." I couldn't find it on the Nexcare site.

May 18, 2015. 09:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    Pacific & TR:

Thanks for the 4-1-1 on Nestle. Probably will pass, even though I like the company.

May 18, 2015. 09:51 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment