Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Conversation With Kinder Morgan's Management Re: Distributable Cash Flow [View article]
    ziggy:

<<One are they trying to spin you, if so, I find that very concerning. >>

It's only concerning if he allowed himself to be spun. I thought he did a nice job of staying with the facts and explaining everything.

Aug 28, 2015. 04:08 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sky Was Falling Into The Hands Of Astute Dividend Growth Investors: Did You Catch Any? [View article]
    Dale:

We will agree to disagree.

One must constantly adapt and deal with one's emotions.

One can do all the pre-catastrophe "testing" one wants, but until the crisis actually happens, one doesn't really know how one will react.

Many, many investors say they have high risk tolerance. Only after an event happens can they know if they really do.

I am a pretty experienced investor who has established goals and has a definite plan. And yet I saw that drop and had a little stirring in my gut. The key was that I didn't react adversely to it.

And the fact that I didn't react adversely to it gives me even more confidence going forward that I will do the right thing.

Aug 28, 2015. 03:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    grisly:

<<When the ticker symbol is a hog call [SOUHY] that is all you need to know.>>

Ha!

I can't remember who -- maybe RoseNose? -- said she sold it not long before the spin-off when it was in the high-40s and bought it back after the spin-off and after it fell into the low-30s.

That goes right into the "I wish I thought of that!" file.

Aug 28, 2015. 03:25 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Royal Dutch Shell Is Now A 7.54% Dividend Yield Monster [View article]
    Mark:

With all companies, one has to request the drip from their brokers. That's the way it should be.

And I love dripping! I don't do options and fractional shares don't bother me in the least.

Lots of different ways to win at investing!!!!

Aug 28, 2015. 03:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    Christine:

<<Then too, just speaking for myself, I think I'd be more motivated if it were a sustained move downward. I'm not usually very comfortable with acting on something that takes place over a day or two.>>

I'm right with you there. I did a little bit of nibbling but bought very, very little.

Thanks for answering my question, and I hope your real-estate investments go well.

Aug 28, 2015. 03:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 12 Attractive Fast-Growing Dividend Growth Stocks For High Total Return [View article]
    S&BC:

I am thrilled to hear that you made some great buys during the mini-crash and that you are well on the way to a lifetime of wealth. Congrats!!

Aug 28, 2015. 03:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Your SWAN REIT Really A SWAN REIT? [View article]
    Oh miss, some folks have nothing but ugly ducklings for investments. I'm glad you have SWANs!!

Aug 28, 2015. 03:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Your SWAN REIT Really A SWAN REIT? [View article]
    Adam:

Donald who? That name seems so familiar, but I don't recognize it. I think he needs to advertise it a little more, maybe put it on some buildings or something.

Have a good one.

Aug 28, 2015. 03:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Dividend Growth Stocks For Your Retirement Portfolio's Aggregate Yield 4.3%: Part 2 [View article]
    Maybe:

It's the old "everybody in this room is lying" deal.

Aug 28, 2015. 02:56 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Zugz:

It's funny how a person who uses a pseudonym paints everybody with a broad brush.

The companies I own are right in my Profile. I have written several articles about weighting what I own, several more about what I am buying and selling and holding and thinking. I have admitted to my mistakes and have dedicated entire articles about learning from those mistakes. I have put my own money in a second very public portfolio, the DG50. And I use my real name. Unless I actually listed to the penny every share of every stock my wife and I own in our portfolio, I can't imagine being much more transparent in a forum like this.

And there are several authors who are similarly transparent, some who use their real names and some who choose not to for privacy reasons.

Where is your transparency?

Anonymous guys who are guilty of exactly what they charge others with, and who make sweeping generalizations out of ignorance, a superiority complex and the need to argue for argument's sake ... oh, the Internet. I love it.

Aug 28, 2015. 02:24 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chowdah:

Chuck absolutely was talking about earnings growth.

Aug 28, 2015. 02:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dale:

I don't think there's anything wrong with people getting a little nervous.

As I tell the basketball players I coach, "It's fine to have butterflies before the game."

What matters is how one channels that. Does one use the nervousness to take one's time and really examine one's portfolio, one's goals, one's risk tolerance, one's reason for being in the market, etc.? If so, then it's a very good thing.

Does one fly off the handle and sell everything? If so, well, we know that's not good.

Aug 28, 2015. 02:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    High-Yield:

As long as my stocks don't all -- as Mike Tyson said -- "fade into Bolivian."

Aug 28, 2015. 02:05 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    berloe:

Maybe, although I didn't own ABT (unfortunately), I did buy a little ABBV.

Spin-offs are a little tricky to me. I decided to sell BXLT and then ultimately BAX. I ended up using the proceeds to mostly add to my AMGN and GILD positions. Time will tell if that was prudent.

I sold BBL's spin-off soon after I got it.

I try to look at each of these individually. It's not easy, though.

Aug 28, 2015. 02:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave:

You forgot the biggest risk of all: posting a comment here on Seeking Alpha!

Seriously, those who can't take the risk really shouldn't be investing in individual stocks at all. Really, they shouldn't even be in equity funds, either. I know folks don't want to hear that, but it's true.

Aug 28, 2015. 02:00 PM | 19 Likes Like |Link to Comment