Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • DGI For Dummies: Managing Your Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Aaron:

<<Or you can actually buy the aristocrats yourself, then pay yourself the 1% annual fee that m funds charge.>>

Yep, and you only have to buy the Aristocrats you actually want.

Sep 7 11:28 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI For Dummies: Managing Your Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    kolpin:

<<glad I didn't follow his investment advice…ha! at a total return YTD of 16.46% this year, I will continue to happily hold.>>

I'm glad you didn't follow his advice, either. You followed your own research and instincts and have been rewarded for it!

Sep 7 11:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can A Successful Dividend Portfolio Be Assembled In 2014? - Part 2 [View article]
    I like Fidelity's research, too. It's better than my brokerage, Vanguard, although I can't say enough about Vanguard's customer service and low cost. Even in the brokerage, if you have enough invested with them, trades are only 2 bucks. Hard to beat that.

Sep 7 11:24 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Live Off Of Dividend Growth Income In Retirement? [View article]
    Pend:

<<Not sure where you got your "facts".>>

See, that's the beauty of the polarized land in which we live. Each of us can get his/her own "facts."

One person can get "facts" from Fox News. Another can get "facts" from MSNBC. Others can get "facts" from the Wall Street Journal or NY Times or the local paper. One can get them from the GOP talking points; another can get them from the Dem talking points.

It's perfect, because then each of us is always "right," and the other person is always "wrong"!

Colbert coined a great word for this trend: "truthiness."

Sep 7 11:21 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Price Dividend Aristocracy? The Dividend Aristocrats And Their Fair Values (Part 1) [View article]
    Obi:

In fact, that's exactly what one of my recent articles was about: http://seekingalpha.co...

Sep 7 09:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • (Un)Happiness At McDonald's? Outlook Not So Tasty In 2014 [View article]
    storm:

<<So Mike, would MCD be your "must have" stock for all portfolios?>>

Probably not. Haven't thought about it, though.

<<Looking forward to your "Stock for the Ages" piece! (Due out in October, right?)>>

Maybe November. Or December. But certainly by the end of 2015. Or 2016.

Sep 7 09:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI For Dummies: Managing Your Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Aaron:

<<And Mike, I did not know you had bonds. Interesting. I use utes for that space.>>

I bought a $5000 I-bond years ago that is now worth something like $7500. I also have a decent-sized stake in Vanguard Wellington, which is about 33% bonds (the other 67% large-cap stocks). So not really much bond exposure, but a little. I also own utes, T, VZ, O and a few others that some consider "bond substitutes."

Sep 7 09:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3M Company Seems Overvalued Relative To Historical Averages [View article]
    Nicely done, claire!

Sep 7 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Communications, And 5 Other Companies, Pumping Up Yield With Increased Dividends [View article]
    If somebody with concerns asks David Fish in a PM, I'm sure he would explain the CCC list number. He is usually prompt and gracious in these situations. If somebody does that, please post his answer here.

I'd do it, but I don't have concerns about the discrepancy. I think VZ is a great company to own either way!

Sep 6 06:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3M Company Seems Overvalued Relative To Historical Averages [View article]
    I agree wholeheartedly that 3M is overvalued.

It also was overvalued two years ago, when I sold more than half my stake at $93: http://bit.ly/1pZg6Jm

I will think long and hard before making a similar mistake.

Sep 6 06:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I like the idea of this ETF. But I won't buy it for the same reason I won't buy other ETFs or mutual funds: I don't WANT to own every stock in an index, either because some are overvalued or because some don't have the moats I'm looking for or for some other reason. And I certainly don't want to pay fees for the right to own stocks I don't want to own.

Nothing against CAH, SHW and ECL, but if I wanted to own them, I'd buy them.

Sep 6 06:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI For Dummies: Managing Your Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    I used to be a sportswriter and here's one of the things that scarred me for life:

I was at the Yankees' spring training complex in 2008 doing the reporting for a piece I was going to write on Joe Girardi. After I finished talking to Jeter in the clubhouse, I walked away from his locker and turned down a corridor and there, stark naked and fresh out of the shower, was octogenarian Yogi.

Yikes!

My eyeballs bleed a little now everytime I hear, "It isn't over 'til it's over."

Sep 6 05:46 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Holding Out For Better Prices On Some Dividend Growth Stocks Over The Next 2 Months [View article]
    PG is selling off its smaller, least profitable brands; as EuropeanGrowthInvestor says above, these brands represent a small percentage of the company's revenue. The move will allow PG to concentrate on its highly profitable, billion-dollar brands, and it will make the company a better investment, IMHO.

Sep 6 05:25 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Beginning A Retirement Portfolio At A Market Top [View article]
    Dond:

67 seems an awfully late start. I could see it going to 64, or maybe 65 to match Medicare. But even those are probably well over a decade away, and they'll have to grandfather in anybody close to 62.

Again, though, planning one's retirement around this kind of conjecture doesn't make much sense.

Sep 5 08:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Steve:

<<My plan does have a self-directed option as well that allows for stock purchases. IMO, the fees are too high though. A $50 annual fee is imposed and stock trades are $20 a pop.>>

That is outrageous. My wife's 401k doesn't charge an annual fee and trades are $10/each. I thought $10 was fairly expensive in this day and age! I'm glad you will have alternative choices when you are retired. Congrats.

Sep 5 06:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment