Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Are Dividend Growth Investors Livin' Too Large? [View article]
    Adam:

<<I guess if the stream of income is sufficient to support a way of life, that may be enough to consider the portfolio successful?>>

Others may disagree, but my answer to this is "yes."

After years -- decades, really -- where I tried all kinds of strategies to middling results, I decided that DGI fits my "investing personality" in that it helps me focus on a goal better.

For me, that goal is two-pronged:

One is the more specific goal: I want to have 36K (in today's dollars) of dividends coming by the time my wife retires in 2020. That combination of divvies, SS and pension will eclipse what my wife and I have brought home annually in any recent year. And we won't have to sell a single share of stock if we don't want to. Of course, that income will increase as the years go on, as the companies we hold are reliable dividend growers.

Two is the simple, overriding goal: to have "more than enough" for us to enjoy high-quality, stress-free retirement.

Could I improve our financial "performance" by stepping outside this comfort zone? Perhaps, but we don't need to.

I am quite sure I can reliably predict what my income stream will be in 2030. I am very sure I cannot reliably predict what the prices of any stock will be in 2030.

So for me, it's a comfort thing. All I want is a great retirement. DGI will help me have a great retirement. Am I supposed to veer from that in hopes that I can have a greater retirement?

BTW, I turn 55 in a few months, which no doubt influences my thought process.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting discussion and for making me think. You do that better than most!

Jul 1, 2015. 07:54 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Be Sure You Won't End Up Eating Cat Food In Your Retirement [View article]
    Doc:

It's all relative. When I wrote my 4-part series on determining one's "DGI Number" awhile back (http://seekingalpha.co...), I had several folks commenting and/or sending me private messages about how "regular folks" couldn't relate to my goal of building a $36K dividend stream.

To me, you're rich. To some, I'm rich. And to others, the person with 100K or 50K or even 10K in assets is rich!

Jun 30, 2015. 11:52 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    Reverse mortgages are the wrong choice for the vast majority of homeowners for the reasons Eric, Contraria and others have stated and more.

Taking equity out of a paid-for home to invest in the market ... I wouldn't do it, but I'm pretty conservative.

Jun 30, 2015. 09:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 8% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Hardog:

Sounds like you have a very nice retirement in place from a financial standpoint. Congrats!

Jun 30, 2015. 08:33 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking Beyond The Obvious: Critical Thinking And Investment Decisions (Part 1) [View article]
    Dave:

Outstanding article.

In addition to critical thinking, I try to apply common sense and perspective. I also try to answer this question before I buy (or sell) any stock: What is the most likely outcome?

Jun 28, 2015. 08:17 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is HCP The REIT Buy Of The Year? [View article]
    Good points, Rich.

I don't "need" HCP in my portfolio, and I'm pretty sure I don't want it, either.

Jun 28, 2015. 07:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Investors Need A Retirement Strategy For All Seasons [View article]
    jf:

Been called many things in my life. Probably most have been deserved.

Huckster? That's a first!

Jun 28, 2015. 07:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • W.P. Carey: A Real Estate Investment For All Seasons [View article]
    Well, maybe, I don't own even one share of ED.

Given its low growth, I have to get it at a killer price to wade in -- closer to 50 than 60!

Jun 28, 2015. 07:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 8% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    joni:

<<Didn't know you were going to get so many questions about one little (actually big) recipe, did you?>>

Put it this way: I have learned my lesson about mentioning my wife's cooking! From now on, I'll only talk about the meats I grill and the beer I wash 'em down with!!

Jun 26, 2015. 11:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Examining My Bullish Thesis On Hershey [View article]
    Still hoping for 85-ish, but maybe it'll never get there. I guess we'll see!

Jun 26, 2015. 10:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    Chowdah:

As a DE shareholder, darn right I noticed.

So what are you saying ... in a few weeks, I should look to sell my DE and then buy it back later when it's back down in the low-80s?

(I don't really think that's what you're saying.)

Jun 26, 2015. 10:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • W.P. Carey: A Real Estate Investment For All Seasons [View article]
    maybe:

For quite some time, I was having trouble listing more than a couple companies I wanted to own that were even fairly valued.

Now, all of a sudden, there are quite a few that I consider undervalued: EMR (add), UNP, CVX (add), XOM (add), AVA (add), WEC (add), maybe WPC, maybe VTR. Plus, HSY isn't looking so overvalued. Same with D and ED.

Trying to be patient. I do have a little dry powder, but not a lot. I can't go on a shopping spree, and that's probably a good thing!

Jun 26, 2015. 10:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Happy Birthday! My Dividend Growth Portfolio's 7th Birthday Report [View article]
    Fun discussion to my funnin', everybody.

Jun 26, 2015. 10:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 8% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    joni:

I just asked my wife. Here is what she said:

"It doesn't say on it, but I think it's considered "Large."

Happy slow-cookin'!

Jun 26, 2015. 06:32 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • W.P. Carey: A Real Estate Investment For All Seasons [View article]
    maybe:

Don't forget that today is WPC's ex-div date. Doesn't account for all the decline but for a big chunk of it.

Jun 26, 2015. 10:48 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment