Mike Nadel

View Mike Nadel's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Avoiding The Endowment Effect: Should Mike Sell? [View article]
    Michael:

Please provide a few examples of Valuentum successfully warning about other companies' dividends being at risk.

I am not asking to be contentious or argumentative. I genuinely would like a feel for their track record.

For the record, even I knew SDRL's, LNCO's and PSEC's dividends were at risk, which is why I either never bought them or sold them shortly after buying them.

Aug 2, 2015. 12:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoiding The Endowment Effect: Should Mike Sell? [View article]
    Pendragon & Chowdah:

That's a very nice point, and a sound argument for keeping KMI in one's portfolio.

Aug 2, 2015. 12:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Introducing The Tactical Dividend Growth Portfolio And Workshop (Part 1) [View article]
    DS:

I have had my pic in SI a few times -- in the background while people were being interviewed or sitting on press row at events. I always got a kick out of it, and I saved quite a few of them.

Aug 1, 2015. 11:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    BT:

I like the wide moat/exemplary stewardship combo, too.

As I said, TROW is on my list. Others passed it for me, but it's still there! I wish you good fortune with it (and everything else).

Aug 1, 2015. 11:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Timing Is Not Appropriate For Retired Investors [View article]
    TMD:

I know exactly what your point was.

You decided to take hyperbole to the nth degree and it led you to Hitler and Dave in the same comment.

Aug 1, 2015. 11:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Philip Morris: Updating My 2015 Dividend Raise Prediction [View article]
    I'd be very surprised if it's lower than 1.05. My call is 1.06 but I wouldn't be stunned by 1.08.

Aug 1, 2015. 11:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Timing Is Not Appropriate For Retired Investors [View article]
    TMD:

I'm not here to defend Dave Van Knapp's tone. This isn't my fight.

I will say that, to my knowledge, Dave never ordered the attack on the Twin Towers; never sent 6 million Jews to the gas chamber; never caused 70 million Chinese deaths through starvation, executions and forced labor; never led 909 people to commit mass murder-suicide in Jonestown; and never used PEDs to win seven Tour de France races.

Now, anybody else you want to overly dramatically conflate Van Knapp with? I mean, I can't believe you missed Satan?

Aug 1, 2015. 07:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dumbest Argument Against Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    Zugz:

You generalize a little too much for my liking, but I again agree wholeheartedly with you about use of the word "safe." Over the last two years, I have made comments and sent private messages to those who use it cavalierly. In my view, there is no such thing as a safe stock.

Now, there are "comparatively" safe stocks -- I would say JNJ is "safer" than BIIB. And there are "comparatively" safe dividends -- I would say XOM's is safer than ESV's. Again, we come to likelihoods.

I do disagree with you somewhat that consecutive years of dividend growth means little. When a company can keep its dividend going for decades through wars, political shenanigans, recessions, Three's Company reruns, etc, I think it does say something. Listen to these company's earnings calls. Many of their CEOs talk about protecting the dividend being among the company's top goals. Some say it is THE top imperative. A company like Realty Income advertises itself as The Monthly Dividend Company; I'm guessing that cutting the dividend would be the very last thing it would want to do.

Are any of those guarantees? No they are not. Immelt said the GE dividend was safe before it got cut and Fredriksen said the SDRL dividend was safe before it got eliminated. But yet again, we are talking about likely situations.

There are no guarantees -- not in DGI, not in total-return investing, not in growth investing, not in momentum investing, not in MPT, not in bonds, not in commodities, not in precious metals -- but there are likely outcomes.

I am a pretty conservative investor and I will go with "likely" every time. It's probably why I will never achieve what some would describe as "Alpha." And that's OK with me.

Aug 1, 2015. 06:43 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Kinder Morgan Is Too Much For A Dividend Growth Investor? [View article]
    Rick:

This ranks up there with the best advice in this entire excellent comment stream, not just for me but for anybody struggling with a decision about KMI (or any other company).

I am in the process of doing exactly what you recommend and I hope to make a very informed decision soon.

Aug 1, 2015. 06:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Baldy:

Enjoy, and don't let the cool mountains fool you -- keep slathering sun screen on that head of yours!!!

Aug 1, 2015. 06:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Opportunities In The Industrial Sector [View article]
    Great stuff, DH.

Thanks for mentioning me (esteemed? I'm honored) and our conversation. One additional thing to remember about cyclicals is that they go through cycles even if the economy is good. By all accounts, we're still in a bull market, but EMR, CAT, UNP and others have had a bit of a rough go lately.

The two names to me that always jump out when I'm thinking about, discussing or researching Industrials are MMM and LMT. I have a decent amount of MMM, an OK amount of LMT and a desire to own considerably more of both! (I also have woulda-coulda-shoulda sob stories about why I don't more of each, but I won't go into them here!!)

Otherwise, I also own DE, GE, which I bought in 2008 before I had ever heard of DGI, and EMR, which I bought recently after selling half my GE stake. My watch list also includes several others: UNP, FAST, RTN, NSC, CMI ... plus others not on this list, such as NOC, GD and UTX.

Also, as a couple other commenters mentioned, there is a fine line distinguishing some categories. Is HON an Industrial or a Tech or some of both? Whatever, it's moved pretty high on my list.

Anyway, I like your scoring system. Lots of food for thought there. Keep up the good work.

Aug 1, 2015. 06:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dumbest Argument Against Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    Zugz:

You say "there is nothing reliable" about the income from Aristocrats/Champions. I would contend that the income from them is likely more reliable than share price growth is from most stocks. And that's what I deal with, likelihood. Is it more likely that JNJ or PEP will be growing their dividends 20 years from now or more likely that FB or TSLA will be growing their share prices? My choice would be the dividends, but it's OK if you disagree.

I do agree with you completely about those who throw out financials. Unfortunately, we can't throw them out. It's like saying, "The Vikings played great defense against the run if you throw out those three 80-yard touchdown runs by Walter Payton." Unfortunately for the Vikings, those TDs counted.

Aug 1, 2015. 02:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dumbest Argument Against Dividend-Paying Stocks [View article]
    Bob:

Also, Dave Fish says 80% of Dividend Champions neither cut nor eliminated their dividends during the Great Recession.

Aug 1, 2015. 11:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    AA:

I don't believe in jinxes. I talk about no-hitters as they're going on all the time!!

Aug 1, 2015. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rhia:

I just skimmed through his two articles and I'll read them through tomorrow. But you do know that he doesn't write about KMI or invest in KMI, right?

He writes about the integrated and/or E&P oil companies, and that will be useful, but not especially in the context of what I'm talking about here. Unless I'm missing something.

Jul 31, 2015. 11:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment