Minutemen

View Minutemen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Simple Path To Financial Wealth With Just 3 Low-Cost Mutual Funds [View article]
    Thanks for the info. I guess VG will only give the discounted expense fees to its customers. Makes sense I guess. It's easy enough to set up an account if its a fund you're seriously interested in.
    Dec 27, 2014. 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    artaraxl: I don't have an account with TD Ameritrade, but I was able to pull up VTSAX on their site. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to buy it.

VTSAX on TD Ameritrade site: http://bit.ly/1425pNQ
    Dec 25, 2014. 04:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Realty -7% as accounting fallout continues [View news story]
    This comment thread is much ado about nothing, wouldn't you say?
    Dec 24, 2014. 01:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's: Five oils to buy now [View news story]
    lords: The Barron's article did caution that there is likely much volatility ahead and that the recent pop in share prices on Thurs and Friday for the oil sector is more likely due to short covering than to the market sensing a bottom.

Nonetheless, they see oil stabilizing around $75/barrel over the next couple of years. The article in no way said "buy now," but said for patient long-term investors, current prices are at a decent entry point.
    Dec 20, 2014. 04:18 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    SDS:

DJ30 and S&P 500 have rules for inclusion and exclusion. Thus they have to move stocks in and out based on their predetermined rules. Just because a company is no longer on the S&P 500 or DJ30 doesn't necessarily mean it is a poor company. For example, a company could disappear due to a merger or from going private. Or a company may shrink in size due to a spinoff and fall of the list.

I wrote about the turnover or "churn" rate of the S&P 500 in a recent SA article here: http://seekingalpha.co...

In any case, Mike's list was not created on arbitrary rules. Rather, it was a hand-picked basket of stocks from a collection of individuals. Much different from how the DJ30 or S&P 500 "pick" stocks.
    Dec 19, 2014. 09:19 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. REIT Space Short On Bargains But W.P. Carey Looks Attractive [View article]
    fincyn: I agree about HCP. I'd like to see the yield hit 5%, but HCP looks good for considering a position.
    Dec 19, 2014. 09:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    Some occasional maintenance decisions will likely need to be made from time to time. For example, what if a company decides to go private? I'm sure Mike is not going to just let the cash from relinquished shares sit in his money market account. That wouldn't be very prudent nor representative of DGI.
    Dec 19, 2014. 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    Excellent commentary, Chowder! I agree 100% (not that it matters).
    Dec 19, 2014. 02:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for article. I'm long WPC and think this is an outstanding and well managed REIT. I didn't see a valuation metric in your article, but using the mid-points for 2014 and 2015 AFFOs you provided, the current 2014 price/AFFO is 14.96 ($4.78 as midpoint AFFO value) and 14.69 for 2015 ($4.87 as midpoint AFFO). Both P/AFFO values based on $71.53 share price.

I agree with DS that getting this in at 5.5% yield would be a more attractive entry point.
    Dec 19, 2014. 02:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Backtesting The New Nifty Fifty Using Weighted, Equal-Weight, And Random-Assignment Designs [View article]
    Martin:

You stated: "The only fair comparison is today's VDGIX vs. today's NN50."

This is exactly what I have done in this article. The comparison is not an analysis of VDIGX vs. NN50, but rather a comparison of the NN50 picks with the CURRENT (today's) holdings of VDIGX. Thus, this is an apples-to-apples, fair comparison.
    Dec 19, 2014. 01:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    "about three-quarters of US shares lost value between 1980 and 2008."

I'm sure a vast majority of those stocks are from companies most of us have never heard of, including many that likely trade on pink sheets. Just throwing out raw numbers with no context is not really helpful. Many of the stocks on the DG50 list have stood the test of time, and most if not all have very solid economic moats or other competitive advantages that increase the odds that they will be around 17 years from now (as a opposed to just a random collection of stocks).

As to the rules you propose, that just a waste of time. As soon as any SA author posts a digest of comments, they would immediately be accused of selective bias or misrepresentation of someone's comments, etc.
    Dec 19, 2014. 11:24 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    SDS: I was just joking. But for the record, I do own the Vanguard All World Ex-U.S. Index Fund (VFWAX).
    Dec 19, 2014. 10:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Monkey-thrown darts always gravitate towards stocks that have done well in the past. There's just no escaping it!
    Dec 18, 2014. 05:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    Bobby D:

Mike has commented above that he has no transaction costs on his stock purchases or his dividend reinvestments. If anyone is using a broker that charges for dividend reinvestments, I highly suggest you change brokers. Most do not (I certainly never have any transaction costs on any of my dividend reinvestments).
    Dec 18, 2014. 04:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing FAQ [View article]
    I wish some of my comments would disappear! Not any related to this article, but just related to life in general.
    Dec 18, 2014. 03:25 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment