Minutemen

View Minutemen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is Coca-Cola Still A Tasty Investment After Poor Q3 Results? [View article]
    Hey, I'm still long MO and cigarettes are far worse for ya than soda and orange juice. No worries about KO from me.
    Oct 21 02:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Coca-Cola Still A Tasty Investment After Poor Q3 Results? [View article]
    Nice article and I agree with your thesis. Thanks for posting. Very long KO.
    Oct 21 12:11 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • For Buy-And-Hold Investors, It's Hard To Lose Money (Part II) [View article]
    Thanks very much, nemonic. Greatly appreciated. I completely agree about the correlation between being a prudent spender and investing style. They go hand-in-hand and work together to synergistically boost long-term financial wealth. For investing, patience is truly a wealth-generating virtue. Best of luck!
    Oct 21 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • For Buy-And-Hold Investors, It's Hard To Lose Money (Part II) [View article]
    Mike:

Thanks very much for reading and commenting. I of course agree about owning great companies long-term as a solid path to financial wealth. I created a fake portfolio of all the stocks I've sold and that portfolio is doing very well! (darn it!)

I think many people who buy and sell frequently don't appropriately reflect the costs of short-term gains on their performance or watch to see how their stock would have done had they never sold it. From experience, I've learned that the patience of holding a stock even when things look very bleak. One example of this would be INTC, which I bought at $27 just before the big "PCs are dead" scare. But instead of selling I watched as the stock tumbled over 30%. I then tripled my position near the bottom and needless to say, the stock has done quite well since.

Great job on your collaborative article. I very much enjoyed it and was glad to be able to cite in my article. I look forward to Part 2!
    Oct 21 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • For Buy-And-Hold Investors, It's Hard To Lose Money (Part II) [View article]
    Funny! Jim Cramer and other financial pundits have nothing to worry about. Human males are hard wired for risk taking and there are plenty of people always ready to swing for the home run.

Also, I'm not knocking small caps or investing in other quality stocks, dividend or not, but this article series was intended for those don't want to spend a lot of time watching their holdings, or for those who maybe haven't been as well as the market indices and perhaps should try a different approach. If an investor is beating the market averages on a regular basis (factoring in true returns after taxes, etc.), then more power to them.

I also did include several non-Dividend Aristocrat stocks, such as AAPL, TJX, and HD to show that one can look outside this list for great companies.

Thanks for commenting.
    Oct 21 08:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diageo Shares Have Stumbled - Will They Shape Up? [View article]
    There's nothing better than enjoying a product from a company that you own!

Cheers!
    Oct 18 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diageo Shares Have Stumbled - Will They Shape Up? [View article]
    Excellent! Congrats, banmate. Great purchase. Enjoy your shares and the products!
    Oct 17 06:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Takeaways From Intel's Earnings [View article]
    Buffalo: No reason to apologize. You have a strategy and implemented it. Happy hunting.
    Oct 17 11:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Schlumberger Limited's Earnings [View article]
    SLR: Agreed! Nice to see some sense returning to the stock after the panic-driven sell off.
    Oct 17 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Takeaways From Intel's Earnings [View article]
    Great article. I stocked up large on INTC between $20 and $21 at the height of the "PCs are dead" scare. If low 30s are cheap, low 20s was a downright steal! Very long INTC.
    Oct 17 08:38 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Schlumberger Limited's Earnings [View article]
    vireoman: SLB is global leader with a wide moat and is selling for cheap. Good luck!
    Oct 17 08:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Schlumberger Limited's Earnings [View article]
    zbignue: Morningstar's FVE takes into consideration its future growth, not just its current valuation. So yes, it will take some time to get to $145, maybe longer now with the energy sector in a bear market. But this could just be a short term blip. But I definitely agree that the current price is a good buy with a strong margin of safety.
    Oct 17 08:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Schlumberger Limited's Earnings [View article]
    Kal: Yes, the decline is definately related to falling oil prices. The concern would be that the oil majors that SLB provides services for will cut back on capex spending, which would hurt SLB earnings. It was nice to see in the earnings report that SLB remains confident in its growth and in the stabilization of oil supply/demand.
    Oct 17 08:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Schlumberger Limited's Earnings [View article]
    tarheel: A very solid quarter indeed. I'm not sure what you mean by "vivid and negative imagination." My update was positive and highlighted SLB's strengths over the last quarter. I also indicated that North American growth due to artificial lift investments and growth from operational efficiencies support the thesis outlined in my previous article.

But after reading the title once this update was published, if read quickly, one could misinterpret as, "Update: Schlumberger's Limited Earnings" rather than "Schlumberger Limited's Earnings."
    Oct 17 07:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Initial Jobless Claims [View news story]
    Siv: It's America. You don't need a job to do all of those things.
    Oct 16 10:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment