Minutemen

View Minutemen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • No Need To Freak Out About Chevron's 'Frozen' Dividend [View article]
    Thanks for the clarification, Eric. I knew there was something I was missing.

No dividend increase in 2000 = a dividend increase. That is some fancy pants accounting! But I get it.

(for the record, I believe that is the first time I ever used the phrase "fancy pants" in my life).
    May 1, 2015. 01:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Straight Talk On The 4% Rule [View article]
    TF17: Excellent and often overlooked point about long-term care. I've decided against LTC insurance for a variety of reasons. But I have recently switched over to high-deductible health plan with a Health Savings Account. HSAs are a great way to garner triple-tax free investment growth that can be used for LTC or other health needs in retirement. One is free to invest pre-tax income any way they like (stocks, bonds, ETFs, etc.) and pay no taxes on dividends or capital gains, as well as the ability to withdraw the money tax free for health expenses. (if you choose not use it for health expenses, then you just pay the regular qualified dividend or long-term rates based on your income level at the time of withdrawal).
    May 1, 2015. 01:46 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Straight Talk On The 4% Rule [View article]
    David: Outstanding overview of Bengen's work nicely coupled with the modern take by Isrealsen and yourself. And thanks for FINALLY bringing in the important aspect of dividends in relation to the 4% rule. Almost all articles related to portfolio drawdown rates seem to assume that one is always selling of 4% of their investment annually without taking into account dividends.

Cheers,

MM
    May 1, 2015. 01:37 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No Need To Freak Out About Chevron's 'Frozen' Dividend [View article]
    Eric: Excellent article and I fully agree. There is no panic or anxiety here on my part.

However, would you or someone else explain why CVX is a dividend aristocrat since it failed to increase its dividend over an eight quarter stretch from Q4 of 1999 to Q3 of 2001? CVX went a full two calendar years from Nov 1999 to Nov 2001 before a dividend increase (no increase in 2000). I'm a bit confused here.
    May 1, 2015. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron beats by $0.58, beats on revenue [View news story]
    2MuchDebt: I'm always looking for value where I can find it. I have a large position in CVX right now and am not looking to add more. Currently CVX is 4% of my portfolio and my exposure to the energy sector overall (through CVX, SLB, WMB and CBI) is now heavily weighted.

I did recently double down on my railroad positions, doubling both my positions in NSC and UNP on the broad pullback in the sector. I'm currently thinking of adding more to my PG position under $80/share or perhaps EMR. I'm also looking to add to my SBUX position under $50.

I rarely sell stocks, I just buy more. I do tend to accumulate fairly large cash positions over time that I will use to purchase new shares when something looks attractive. I have regular automatic payments to several MUTFs so that I don't have to think or worry about where the market is heading, but once my cash reserves pile up, I start looking around, especially on broad market downturns or when a particular high-quality stock or sector falls out of favor.
    May 1, 2015. 11:44 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron beats by $0.58, beats on revenue [View news story]
    I'm not personally buying here. I bought up shares at around $99. Even so, the downside risk at current price is relatively low (if you can handle some volatility) while the upside potential through 2018-2020 is high. The 4% dividend helps cushion the wait.
    May 1, 2015. 11:14 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron beats by $0.58, beats on revenue [View news story]
    koayyijie: P/E is a bit misleading right now. Forward P/E would be 20 or so if you think earnings are going to remain at depressed levels of $1.37 per quarter over the next year. However, if oil rebounds then and earnings increase, P/E will drop (assuming current price).
    May 1, 2015. 09:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Are E-Cigarettes Getting Stubbed Out? [View article]
    Might vaping be a gateway to tobacco use? That is, users who never smoked tobacco but starting vaping may move to tobacco and become more addicted (nicotine itself is not very addictive; tobacco is highly addictive as there are about 7 chemicals in tobacco that lead to its potent addiction). That would explain the decrease in imports and rise in tobacco sales.
    May 1, 2015. 07:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's over: Comcast officially ends $45B pursuit of TWC [View news story]
    There are some differences in TV shows, true, but not enough so that I would want to double my monthly fees to have both. While they do have some HBO shows available on Prime, those are mostly for older shows and only the first season of newer shows (have to pay extra for new seasons).

To each his own, but I have not personally found combining streaming of Netflix and Prime to be worthwhile.
    Apr 25, 2015. 02:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's over: Comcast officially ends $45B pursuit of TWC [View news story]
    Sakelaris: owning both subscriptions to Netflix and Prime is mostly a waste of money as there is very little difference in content between the two. You'd be better off with the Netflix streaming and DVD combo. I've tried Amazon Prime twice for free and couldn't see any benefit to it.
    Apr 25, 2015. 10:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • WSJ: FCC staff urges agency hearing, in big setback for Comcast-TWC [View news story]
    It is 100% done, that is for sure.
    Apr 24, 2015. 03:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's over: Comcast officially ends $45B pursuit of TWC [View news story]
    mkemac:

I assume you mean T Mobile (PCS). The ticker TMO is for Thermo Fisher Scientific.
    Apr 24, 2015. 03:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's over: Comcast officially ends $45B pursuit of TWC [View news story]
    Sakelaris:

1. How do you think Netflix and Amazon get their content to customers? Through ISPs like Comcast.

2. How do you think Netflix and Amazon get the content they send to customers? Buy paying licensing fees to content owners like Comcast.

3. Unbundled packages will end up costing consumers more than current bundled packages on a per content basis. Just look at Verizon and their newly announced $55 monthly cost for their light bundle package. Netflix customers currently pay $7.99 or $8.99 (for new customers) per month. You could consider Netlix as one "channel." ESPN, the most expensive current cable channel, is under $6 a month.

In the long run, vertically integrated companies like Comcast will do very well, no matter the fate of cable or bundling packages.
    Apr 24, 2015. 11:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Aiming My Sights On A Beaten-Down STAG Industrial [View article]
    "With reinvestment of dividends, the income rises in a noticeable way in a short time."

Yes it does. I do have other REIT exposure, so I'm not particularly keen to add more at this time. I primarily sold WPC (which is a terrific REIT) because I was never very happy with my purchase price. I could add this back on a big pull back. As far as DLR, I bought that after the short attack on the stock awhile back and did very well with it, but I have some concerns about management and the dividend growth rate.

Cheers,

MM
    Apr 24, 2015. 09:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's over: Comcast officially ends $45B pursuit of TWC [View news story]
    Yeah, DWA would be a nice catch too. I completely agree that this is a new era and the TWC exit makes a great opportunity for CMCSA to diversify even more.

Very long CMCSA.