Miz Magic DiviDogs

View Miz Magic DiviDogs' Comments BY TICKER:

• Buy Low, Sell High? With Altria, It's Buy Yes, Sell No [View article]
    Yep, still a fan. :)

Vector (VGR) just keeps trucking along paying a steady dividend and giving me an additional 5% more shares every year. As long as it keeps doing that, it's got a permanent place in my portfolio.

As a bonus, the share price has risen considerably since I bought in 2011, too. What's not to like?

Nov 27, 2015. 10:48 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vector misses by $0.07, beats on revenue [View news story]
    Vector issues an additional 5% stock dividend every year in September, so everyone gets 1 additional share for every 20 shares owned. It shows up as a 21/20 split in your brokerage statement.

Nov 17, 2015. 04:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Challengers (And Near-Challengers): 42 Increases Expected By The End Of January [View article]
    "Roller-coasters have their fans, but I'm not one of them."

All it takes are nerves of steel and a stomach to match. Either that or a blindfold so you don't have to see the terrifying downs after the dizzying ups . . . but then again, look at the great dips you can add more shares on!

No, I don't hold F. I'd need a lot higher yield to get paid for so much excitement!

Nov 15, 2015. 10:07 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hannon Armstrong: A Sunny Play For Clean Energy Lovers [View article]
    JB ~

Nice write-up on this stock. I've had my eye on it for about a year now for both my daughter and me. I hope to buy in for both of us next year when we have some more cash.

Love your clearly written articles, they definitely help understand how a company does business. Thank you!

Nov 12, 2015. 08:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Generation Portfolio: Rate Fears Consume The Market [View article]
    Nice article, JB. Thanks for the update, and for illustrating a great use of sector rotation! Clearly explained and very helpful. :)

Nov 9, 2015. 08:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Frontline: No Social Security COLA, No Interest, Now No File And Suspend [View article]
    "If you look at it from the perspective of a married couple having contributed twice as much as a single to the program, and needing more money in retirement due to double the expenses of a single person, it doesn't really sound that unethical to me."

George ~

Not quite. No argument that they contributed twice as much, however, married people don't pay twice the mortgage payment of a single person, or twice the property taxes, or twice the utility bills to heat or cool the same house, keep up the property, etc. Yes, they may use more water to take twice as many showers, but you get my drift. And if both are working, they pay relatively less from 2 paychecks for all of the above than a single person.

Just keeping things in perspective.

Nov 7, 2015. 09:18 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Risk Tolerance For The Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Bob, yes, we've talked about that. And she knows I converted everything in my rollover IRA to a Roth, too. But she has about 15 years still to go. :)

Nov 5, 2015. 06:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Downfall Of Using The Chowder Rule As An Investment Guideline [View article]
    "But I don't see the need to label what "most" or "some" or "all" DGI investors do."

You can always split the difference and say "many" DGIs. Hard to argue with that.

Remember: "When in doubt, be vague and mumble."

Nov 5, 2015. 05:56 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Risk Tolerance For The Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    "I told her to look at her bank account the first of the month. She love it when I told her she was getting a 5% raise in income last January. I did tell her her principle was up but that was the point which was the dividend growth."

That's great, Bob! You're a good bro. :)

Nov 5, 2015. 04:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Risk Tolerance For The Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    "She hasn't even told me which specific funds her adviser has been using in her account, so my advice to date has been very general."

G, that's too bad, I hope she doesn't regret it later. Maybe you need to make her an offer that doesn't involve her even looking at her brokerage statement. "Hey, sister, let me make you an offer you can't refuse . . . I can set you up for life and you'll never have to look at a brokerage statement again . . ." Just make sure you sound like Brando when you do it. ;>

Nov 5, 2015. 04:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Risk Tolerance For The Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Bob ~

I used that, too! One of the conversations we had when I would get my dividends in was what that divvy would buy -- we'd joke about a Happy Meal at McDonalds that soon turned into a steak dinner at Sizzler, etc. Eventually, she realized she could do the same thing, so she opened a Roth brokerage account and asked me to make her rich! :)

Couldn't promise to make her rich, but I could promise to earn her more money than she'd get in a savings account! Once she grasped the concepts of what I was doing, we now discuss any buys I make for her and how things are going. She's happy to let me manage both her Roth and her taxable account she subsequently opened. She still has a 401k through her employer (limited to mutual funds), so I think she's doing okay.

Nov 5, 2015. 04:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Textainer Group Holdings: Dividend Cut? Yes. Price Drop? Yes. Disaster? No [View article]
    Condolences, Robert. Those fickle high-yielders just can't keep their promises, can they?

Perhaps the new year will be kinder to our portfolios!

Nov 5, 2015. 04:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Risk Tolerance For The Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    "She's made it clear that individual stocks are much to complicated, so I offered to set her up with a simple basket of index ETFs, then all she'd have to do is rebalance occasionally, but even that is more than she cares to do. She finds it a chore to look at her brokerage report more than once a year."

G ~

Something you might offer is to take a small portion (maybe 25%?) of her funds for a trial run and invest them for her with a set review date, such as once a year. Perhaps set it up so the income shows up directly in her bank account so she doesn't even have to look at a brokerage statement to see the money coming in every month/quarter. Compare the amounts to something she can relate to -- a dinner out, a new pair of shoes, whatever works. A lot of women don't want anything to do with the nuts and bolts of the numbers, but can't resist getting interested in the proceeds. (My daughter was a perfect example of this.) :)

Nov 4, 2015. 08:53 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Omega Healthcare: A Solid Earnings Report Reinforces Its Value [View article]
    Nice article, JB. This has been a largely undiscovered gem for a few years now -- shhh! :)

Very happy to have it in my portfolio!

Nov 4, 2015. 07:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment