MLP Trader

View MLP Trader's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Soccer Mom Sticker Shock: Tesla Prices Model X Signature At $133,200 And Up [View article]

There is no national sales tax. I'm surprised you don't know that.
    Sep 2, 2015. 11:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @capt601

Last time I checked, I paid $.18 to the USG, and $.45 to the State of California for each gallon of gas. That's over 20%. Where exactly is the subsidy?
    By comparing the absurd Tesla subsidy to other silly subsidies you effectively concede the argument.
    Sep 2, 2015. 12:53 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    How about all of us -- rich and poor -- get to keep our money, instead of spending it on silly tax credits for wealthy people.

And the guy who wants to buy an $80,000 Tesla can just pay for the extravagance himself.

@orockers. A tax credit is a subsidy, in case you didn't know.

Perhaps you should look at this article before you spout off:

Sep 1, 2015. 07:33 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment

The average shmoe who makes $50K a year, gets to subsidize an $80,000 car which a billionaire sells to millionaires. Nice.
    Sep 1, 2015. 05:42 PM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Student Transportation's Use Of Non-GAAP Measures Disingenuous? [View article]
    Every time I see one of these silly articles on STB or STON, I buy the stock hand over fist. I wait for the 5% appreciation (usually a week or two) and then sell it back.

I made 5% buying STB this morning when the article appeared. Thanks!!
    Aug 20, 2015. 02:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ONEOK Partners to sell 24.9M common units [View news story]
    So they're selling the stock to themselves at a 10% discount to the closing price. Nice deal. This is what happens when unitholders have no voting rights and the management are unscrupulous losers.

Ultimately the joke will be on management. After they screw OKS unitholders over a few times, who will be stupid enough to buy OKS stock?
    Aug 13, 2015. 12:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short StoneMor Partners [View article]
    Well that made my day -- rlp2451 actually recommending one of my articles! ;-)

I agree the key point remains. Because of the company's high growth rate and deferred revenue, expenses run ahead of revenue recognition making the numbers look bad when they're really not. If the company stopped growing, the numbers would suddenly look much better.
    Aug 11, 2015. 05:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Averages cap dismal week with more losses as economic concerns grow [View news story]

Let's give credit where it's due: Hillary starts talking about new capital gains taxes and the market immediately drops a few hundred points.
    Jul 25, 2015. 12:14 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Yield On Cost (YOC) Is An Important Metric [View article]
    "1) difference between a coupon bond yielding 5% and a zero coupon yielding 5% might be in taxes. US politicians tend to change taxes too often."

The IRS imputes interest to the zeroes.

"2) difference between sell a stock or collect dividends is the same as between 2 owner of caw herds but one is butcher and the second is milkman. Quiz: who survives longer?"

Butchers don't keep cow herds. After they make money on a cow they go buy another one. YOC-els are kind of like a milkman who will never sell a cow because he is getting so much milk compared to what he spent for the cows years ago. Irrational. As another poster writes above: YOC-els really need to read the chapter on sunk costs in an Econ textbook.

Here's a query: my reduced cost basis on EPD shares bought in 2001 is 0. Therefore my YOC is infinite and I should never sell EPD, right?
    Jul 16, 2015. 08:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Yield On Cost (YOC) Is An Important Metric [View article]
    The derision is toward the irrational clinging to a metric that is, at best, useless for investment decisions. If YOC-els would simply admit that YOC no more than a "feel-good" measure the derision would probably stop.

Incidentally, I'm glad you're no longer wearing the orange jumpsuit in your photo. I was worried that ISIS might have you. Now you seem to have a predator preparing to strangle you or something.
    Jul 15, 2015. 07:07 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Yield On Cost (YOC) Is An Important Metric [View article]
    "To your first point, the dividend is already in my pocket if I choose it to be. The stock may re-depreciate (is that a word?) tomorrow"

QED to my point about YOC-els not understanding zero-coupons.

If you choose to sell a stock, the money is also in your pocket. There is no difference. Just as there is no difference between a coupon bond yielding 5% and a zero coupon yielding 5%.
    Jul 15, 2015. 04:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Yield On Cost (YOC) Is An Important Metric [View article]

I wonder if any YOC-els understand how zero-coupon bonds work. Judging from this article, I'll bet it's a mystery to them.

News Flash 1: there is no difference between collecting a 5% dividend and selling a stock that has appreciated 5%. They both generate a 5% return and 5% income.

News Flash 2: companies do not keep track of how much you paid for their stock; they pay the same dividend to each share. So YOC is utterly irrelevant to forward-looking investment decisions.
    Jul 14, 2015. 08:13 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Airline stocks fall; DOJ probing price collusion [View news story]
    @wrscomncents

"They just don't want to compete with carriers that are being subsidized by their governments."

Of course the U.S. carriers never get subsidies from the U.S. govt. Gimme a break.

It's amazing. I can fly from Frankfurt to Barcelona or Singapore to KL for about $50 RT. The same length flight here costs me $700-800 -- unless it's one of the very few routes (e.g. LAX-LAS) where there's actually competition. I call that gouging.

I say let all foreign airlines operate in this country without restriction. Let the most efficient company win. That's what free markets are about.
    Jul 1, 2015. 07:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Airline stocks fall; DOJ probing price collusion [View news story]

Look at flights to/from the airlines' "fortress hubs." You will see extreme price gouging: $600-$800 for 300 mile flights. In the meantime, UAL, DAL, and AAL all fight to keep out competition from Etihad, Emirates, etc.

The legacy U.S. airlines and their execrable unions are the worst sort of rent-seekers. We need to truly open the skies so they have to compete.
    Jul 1, 2015. 02:41 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Uber Has Lost The Taxi Battle In NYC [View article]
    @DGM01,

They are easily trumped by the domestic legacy airlines (UAL, DAL, AAL), who seem to devote most of their executive energy to lobbying big brother govt. to keep the competition out.
    Jun 23, 2015. 02:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment