Modernist

View Modernist's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Applying The Altman Z-Score To Sears [View article]
    Z-score application to SHLD discounts off-balance assets ie. Lampert backing.
    Mar 20, 2012. 03:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yahoo Lawsuit Associates It With Those Who Have Nothing To Lose [View article]
    Funny, it doesn't sound like you're disagreeing with me, because you're not referring to the content in the article.
    Mar 18, 2012. 02:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street is losing some of its cachet among America’s best and brightest college students, and is facing a serious recruiting problem. As its professional image continues to get tarnished by a series of highly publicized industry scandals - such as the one buffeting Goldman right now - college students who were once attracted to prestigious banks like moths to bonfires have begun turning to other industries in search of success.  [View news story]
    Also, maybe primary/secondary schools will start preparing students to build, rather than play with, things. It's hard to go to engineering school when your only skill set is arguing about Mark Twain.
    Mar 17, 2012. 07:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does It Matter Now? Why You Should Have Gone Long Sirius [View article]
    Perhaps, but I don't need to take credit for other peoples' opinions, as I have enough of my own.
    Mar 17, 2012. 07:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Random number generation? A striking report from S&P tips off that not only did 84% of actively managed funds fail to beat their benchmarks in 2011's tricky market, but less than 50% of portfolio managers outperformed even over a five year tracking period. Even the best of the lot struggle, with only 12.2% of the large-cap funds ranked in the top quartile five years ago managing to maintain a spot in the upper 25% five years later. "There's no evidence of persistence of performance beyond what would be randomly expected," says Buckingham Asset's Larry Swedroe. [View news story]
    The few people emotionally intelligent enough to accept passivity and apply it consistently, are probably the 1% capable of beating the market. ironic
    Mar 17, 2012. 07:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Fails To Price Pandora As An Apple Story [View article]
    Could you opine a little on where you see the market share going in terms of Spotify?
    Mar 17, 2012. 07:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does It Matter Now? Why You Should Have Gone Long Sirius [View article]
    Please don't (falsely) refer to me in conjunction with individuals who were bearish on SIRI at $.05.
    Mar 17, 2012. 07:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Perhaps they are also concerned about their vulnerability to layoffs a couple years down the road.
    Mar 17, 2012. 07:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Right Track Of Yahoo: Focus And Focus On Products [View instapost]
    Good stuff, I can relate to the editorial process, hope you do get one through just for kicks.
    Mar 17, 2012. 05:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • All Eyes On Google / Facebook Social Network Talent War [View article]
    How do you define success for Google+?
    Mar 17, 2012. 05:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Google Could Take Over Jobs In The Future [View article]
    What color food do you want me to not give you?
    Mar 17, 2012. 05:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does It Matter Now? Why You Should Have Gone Long Sirius [View article]
    "Regarding my position, I feel that SiriusXM remains undervalued as I do not feel the market has yet to appreciate SIRI to appropriate levels based on conservative guidance. I feel [...]we will see upward revisions soon, along with a subsequent increase in share price."
    Mar 16, 2012. 05:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does It Matter Now? Why You Should Have Gone Long Sirius [View article]
    "Regarding my position, I feel that SiriusXM remains undervalued as I do not feel the market has yet to appreciate SIRI to appropriate levels based on conservative guidance. I feel that this conservative guidance was overblown and sensationationalized, and we will see upward revisions soon, along with a subsequent increase in share price."

So to be clear, you're saying the market has yet to appreciate SIRI because the media has been sensationalizing bad news?
    Mar 16, 2012. 04:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nuclear and Solar: Patiently Speculating On Science With Einstein's Hedge [View article]
    Observations almost always find their way into trades. We all try to be nuanced and apply observations to the extent they represent opportunity. I'm sorry I can't reify Einstein's Hedge as a monolithic structure for you.
    Mar 16, 2012. 04:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does It Matter Now? Why You Should Have Gone Long Sirius [View article]
    I think the market has failed to adequately price in a steep drop in revenues that will occur in 2-4 years as a result of SiriusXM being obsolete as a simplifyer technology. I feel the market has under-weighed this information because the market fails to embrace the extent to which mobile devices will be easy to use in this foreseeable future. I feel the market fails to embrace this new tech because it is in a cautious mood and is overvaluing the familiar in relation to the unfamiliar.
    Mar 16, 2012. 04:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment