Mordechai Rorvig

View Mordechai Rorvig's Comments BY TICKER:

• 3 Catalysts For AT&T To Beat Expectations [View article]
    hqcark,

that's fair to say that AT&T should not be classified as a 'growth stock' at this point, no matter how much growth or P/E expansion it undergoes. I think if you're an investor concerned about safety as well as growth, then AT&T could be a good fit.
    Mar 20, 2015. 12:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Catalysts For AT&T To Beat Expectations [View article]
    Bellbrat2u -- thanks for bringing that to our attention. I see there is already an existing DirecTV bundle on AT&T's website (http://soc.att.com/1xm...). When AT&T talks about increased bundling opportunities, do you think they mean the ability to put DirecTV with internet, primarily? I wasn't sure if they also might mean bundling DirecTV with wireless service, or both wireless service and internet, etc.
    Mar 20, 2015. 12:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Catalysts For AT&T To Beat Expectations [View article]
    Mike: alright, I can envision that better now. It sounds great in a way for the consumer, but it also sounds kind of horribly annoying. I'm not sure how much more marketing we need in our lives. That is a clever scenario though, and I could see how that would generate revenue. You should make a SA article/contribution on this!
    Mar 20, 2015. 12:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Catalysts For AT&T To Beat Expectations [View article]
    My question, regarding IoT, is where's the data? Everything might get connected, but that doesn't mean it will need a significant data plan that generates revenue. I'm not pessimistic about it, just skeptical.
    Mar 19, 2015. 10:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Catalysts For AT&T To Beat Expectations [View article]
    richjoy403, thanks for your input; I think the day I could write anything that's not somehow incomplete is the day I'd die happy. I agree a Google wireless entry could be important for the industry. Thanks for the suggestion to check into this more.
    Mar 19, 2015. 10:49 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Catalysts For AT&T To Beat Expectations [View article]
    That could be a risk; CFO John Stephens said at the recent Deutsche Bank conference, however, that he sees over-the-top services as generating more net-adds to the industry, rather than necessarily hurting anyone in particular.
    Mar 19, 2015. 10:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Catalysts For AT&T To Beat Expectations [View article]
    Correct (http://vz.to/1x70Nms). I like Verizon, but I haven't researched it as much as AT&T.
    Mar 19, 2015. 10:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Catalysts For AT&T To Beat Expectations [View article]
    I agree, they seem to be going about it without much fanfare.
    Mar 19, 2015. 10:35 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Catalysts For AT&T To Beat Expectations [View article]
    I've thought about this, too -- I wonder, however, how much revenue would be generated from connected cars. The amount of data you would use in a car doesn't seem that much; mainly just mapping programs and GPS programs. Good point, though.
    Mar 19, 2015. 10:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Internet Of Things Needs A Channel [View article]
    Good point; the sales channel to the consumer is crucial. But I also wonder if the applications themselves are even that compelling to the consumer right now. Most of them don't sound very transformational to me. I can't think of that many people who are going bonkers over not having a connected thermostat.
    Jan 29, 2015. 01:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Dividend Continues To Disappoint [View article]
    The situation isn't as black and white as "Intel management good or bad". They've led a computing revolution over the past 20 years. Regardless of their stock performance, their product lines have been consistently outstanding, and steadily improving. Where I would criticize the management is in its vision and responsiveness to market changes. They were too obsessively focused for too long. They get the point now ... or if they don't get it now, then they never will.
    Jan 26, 2014. 03:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Dividend Continues To Disappoint [View article]
    I don't think Otellini would have let the dividend stagnate like this. This is disappointing, even if justified from the business side. Krzanich is thinking long term, like 3-5 years minimum ... can we wait? Owning Intel is like riding a f'ing turtle ...
    Jan 26, 2014. 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Has Been, And Still Is, A Lousy Stock For Investors [View article]
    You can't argue with the past performance and I agree that the sentiment in the SA community on Intel can seem overconfident. However, Intel did grow revenues significantly in 2010/11, which just wasn't valued consistently by the market. The dividend yield is at a (long term) all time high, and there is substantial opportunity in the mobile product markets developed over the past 5-7 years. So, overall, this is a critical time period where valuation and growth may finally be ready to synchronize, but until we actually see growth, I think it's fair that many won't be convinced.
    Sep 5, 2013. 03:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Management Presents at Citi 2013 Global Technology Conference (Transcript) [View article]
    I agree ... SS is always on point ... always very balanced and thorough in his comments.
    Sep 5, 2013. 03:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Profitability Has Depended On The Wintel Franchise For A Very Long Time [View article]
    Welcome to SA. Your analysis here hinges on a number of vague and unsubstantiated arguments which you would need to flesh out to make a convincing argument for me. Such as:

1. "Processors sold for PC clients (PCs or laptops) are often essentially the same microarchitecture and in some cases the exact same chip as is sold for the data center group ..."

This is a very vague and in many cases simply incorrect statement. Xeons are generally much different from Cores, in terms of memory bandwidth, maximum number of sockets, etc.

2. "... its chips typically cost five times what Qualcomm (QCOM) chips for the mobile market sell for ..."

Here, you seem to be conflating the cost of an Intel PC processor with the cost of a Qualcomm mobile processor and chipset. These are not apples to apples comparisons -- mobile processors are generally much smaller dies, with much lower performance, memory bandwidth, etc.

3. "ARM (ARMH) architecture or Atom-like low-margin chips are going to be the web servers of the future, thus lopping off a big chunk of the server market. The driver is the cost of electricity and of cooling data centers. Low power rules."

Here, first of all you are fallaciously assuming that lower power server chips will also necessarily be lower margin, which is simply unfounded. Secondly, your assertion that Atom-like chips will dominate is just an unclear and confused statement. Low power optimized microarchitectures may indeed prove useful in certain cost targets and performance objectives, but it is by no means as black and white as simply "one performance optimization for all". Anyways, Intel's Xeon Phi is really addressing this already ... have you even heard of this?
    Aug 7, 2013. 03:44 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment