Murphy Mac

View Murphy Mac's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Reports Mixed Results Despite Lowered Expectations [View article]
    Bill beat me to it, but I already typed it so I'm posting it anyway...

Stan -

It's just an adjustment. Apple provides guidance, the market reacts. We know they tend to sandbag and that gives the analysts a chance to come up with something more realistic.
    In theory the price has risen more than it would have based on Apple's guidance, so when they miss the higher estimates the analysts provided the stock adjusts again.
    Ideally, a stock constantly adjusts like this to the latest news. With aapl there are accusations of manipulation, but that's another story...
    Oct 25 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reuters Agrees: The Next iPhone Will Be Larger [View article]
    If you don't have anything to add along the lines of insight or a well-reasoned opinion it's essentially comment spam to post the same thing on every article. Essentially beating a drum for stocks you're long on.

Do you really expect people to consider investment advice from a spammer?
    May 17 04:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Will Dominate China [View article]
    But just like everywhere else, Apple doesn't have to dominate. They only have to carve out a slice and let the margins go to work.
    Apr 22 11:37 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking Forward To Apple's Earnings [View article]
    I've thought that too. April-June might see some dividend funds scaling in, with the share price melting up on seemingly no news.

I thought THIS quarter would be quiet, and woke up to the reality of what was happening around 475. I had sold calls against actual shares and ended up buying calls further out at a lower strike to save my skin and my shares. Always good to have cash on hand when trading options.

If the guidance meets the street's expectations I think we'll hold on to whatever gains we have from the April earnings report, and then coast or melt up a little as we head for that first dividend payment.
    Apr 5 06:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Now Dislike Apple [View article]
    I have to agree. I read a lot of articles that are bearish on aapl, like the third bullet of this article's 'asides'. I read them because aapl is my largest holding and I want to see both sides at all times.

But placing those bullets in with the story about an app rejection doesn't match up. In a nutshell you wrote tons of words about how aapl doesn't care about kids, and then at the very end said, "Oh yeah, I have also been getting anecdotal evidence that a lot of uninformed money has been buying AAPL with leverage...blah blah blah."

Most of the people who read articles here would be a LOT more interested in what your "anecdotal evidence" is - and they could care less about the app rejection. Apps like this one getting rejected is not that interesting. Let me know if Word and Excel get rejected.

See you on the other side of 700. By the way, I could care less if it's "uninformed money" that puts us over that small hurdle.
    Apr 2 05:27 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • iPad Innovation: Diminishing Returns, Or Exceeding Expectations? [View article]
    It's definitely no CrunchPad.
    Mar 8 01:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Apple Flash Crash [View article]
    Stop losses are not for amateurs. In some ways it's begging someone to swipe your shares at a discount. To them.
    Mar 5 06:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Has Reality Completely Set In? [View article]
    When some of these sites get a handle on the comments I'll be more inclined to write articles for them. Pointing out that I have 6 followers isn't much of an argument. As you say, I'm not active here. I have less than 200 comments, you have over 2000.
    I don't understand writing sensible articles and then lowering yourself to comment troll tactics. Responding to abusive comments with abusive comments puts you in the same bin with them. Who is going to heed their advice, or yours when you're all lumped together?
    When it comes to comments the high road is the only way to go. It takes a great deal of self-control, but it's worth it in the end.
    Mar 5 01:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Has Reality Completely Set In? [View article]
    Regarded - Hard to take you seriously given the way you responded to comments on your article.
    Mar 5 09:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading The Odds Of An Apple Dividend [View article]
    No dividend, no split, no buyback. But no dip?
    Feb 23 04:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Announcements Justify A Google Multiple [View article]
    I'm long aapl, for now.

Before the iPhone and the iPad we all knew what was coming next: The iPhone and the iPad. Both have exceeded my expectations on many fronts.

I don't know what's next from here. I suppose the TV is coming but I don't expect it to be the screaming disruption that the iPhone and iPad are.

For me to stay long I need to have get a glimpse into what's next.
    Jan 15 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

29 August 1965 Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl
    30 August 1965
    31 August 1965 Daly City Cow Palace
    Jan 15 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Economy Has You Down? Buy Apple [View article]
    Hey Moon -
    I've seen this comment from you a few times. I've often wondered the same thing about what's next. We all knew the tablet was coming. And now that we have it...

But I'm not ready to bail out yet. I look at things like the tiny market share and the report today comparing the number of carriers the iPhone is on compared to Blackberry and I think there's still room for substantial growth.

The Mac marketshare isn't growing as fast as I expected a year or two ago, but I expect at some point it will snowball. People are fed up with Windows and the barriers that once complicated switching platforms are largely gone.

There are only a few stores in China and at best handfuls in European countries. Expansion should drive more growth. iPhone upgrade cycles should get bigger and bigger.

As you've said before, I don't see TV as the opportunity that the iPad was. I don't know what's next - I don't even know what else I want product-wise.

But I think the next couple years are covered for growth. Someone posted recently, maybe you, about how the rate of change of the rate of growth is the driving factor now. Maybe. But between the things I mentioned already and opportunities in China and India that are still largely untapped I see substantial growth ahead.

Not sure where I'm going. I guess I agree with you on one level (the "what's next?" question )but I don't think it's time for the P/E to be where it is yet, especially with the cash in hand. In other words, I see aapl hitting 500 before it hits 300. I'll be taking a really hard look at the earnings report in January to figure out my next move.
    For now I'm still long with outright shares and option positions.
    Nov 21 03:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investors Should Buy Apple While Stock Is Under $400 [View article]
    Similar experience. A few weeks before the last earnings report I bought Oct call contracts for $231 each (410 strikes), when aapl was trading at $391. Their gain was 600% the day of the earnings release.

I bought on the way up. Think about the people who bought 410s only a week or two earlier with aapl at $356. They probably could have bought a bunch of contracts with the money in their wallet.
    Nov 4 09:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Shares Not A Long Favorite After Earnings Reports [View article]
    Frustrating for options traders holding October expirations to watch it go up after hours and not be able to sell until the next day.
    Oct 18 11:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment