Murphy Mac

View Murphy Mac's Comments BY TICKER:
  • iOS 5 + A5 Processor = iPhone 4S? What Apple's iFumble Means to Investors [View article]
    I helped my neighbor set up their Incredible 2, my first in-depth experience with an Android phone. I didn't want to tell her, but I kept wishing she'd bought an iPhone as I explained different parts of her Android phone to her. Like why it had three different mail icons right off the bat. Sort of like crapware on a PC.

Don't get me wrong, Android is good enough for PLENTY of people, including my neighbor. But specs aren't everything. And while battery life might not sound sexy it's critically important to tons of people.

It would be hard to convince me that Android has as good a user experience as iOS.

She was also surprised to find out it wouldn't sync her music with iTunes.
    Oct 10, 2011. 03:36 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Using Put Options To Capitalize On Mosaic's Volatility [View article]
    What happens in this case? Soon after you sell the put the share price drops $20 below the strike price. The put isn't likely to be executed at that point because there's lots of time value left in the option - isn't that correct?

So when it does get executed at expiration you could end up buying shares that are trading FAR below the strike price you set. That IS getting in at a price you accepted -like you said - but it's not necessarily desirable.
    Oct 7, 2011. 08:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Using Friday's Options Activity To Get Ready For Tuesday's Market [View article]
    Rocco - why do you think the open interest in POT is so low? I recently sold (shares, not options) at 56 having bought before the split at 80. So I did pretty well and at these prices I'd be willing to get back in.

Thanks.
    Oct 4, 2011. 09:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Let's Talk' iPhone 5 Is A Game Changer [View article]
    I've held aapl since 2004, since you ask. I watch it pretty closely. It's my largest single holding but less than 20% of my portfolio.

Events like this often send the stock down afterwards, and that may be the case after the 4S is introduced. But I'd expect a decent recovery as the launch buzz gets going and runs right into the October 21 earnings release. Part of the "no new form factor" drop has already happened.

Greece, etc could hold it back - but if Europe continues to limp along I think aapl will retest the recent highs some time in November. By then everyone will have regained their senses and remembered that the iPhone 4 was flying off the shelves, and so will the iPhone 4S heading into Christmas.

Combined with iPad and growing Mac sales aapl is heading for more record quarters. That's what moves the stock these days, not the product introduction events.
    Oct 1, 2011. 10:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Let's Talk' iPhone 5 Is A Game Changer [View article]
    The article IS short-sighted, the author says he's buying options that expire on October 21.

Your strategic thinking isn't passe - but I think more and more investors are being drawn to options trading as many have been burnt by "buy and hold" over the last 10-15 years.
    Sep 29, 2011. 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Let's Talk' iPhone 5 Is A Game Changer [View article]
    Jason - Are you willing to share the price you got in with your calls today??
    Sep 29, 2011. 02:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Let's Talk' iPhone 5 Is A Game Changer [View article]
    If they were trying to shake ME out it worked. I'm still long with actual shares but I wanted to be in with calls for the holiday quarter.
    Sep 28, 2011. 09:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Let's Talk' iPhone 5 Is A Game Changer [View article]
    I'm in the same boat with Tyler and Docneuro411. And other boats too:

It seems superficial, but I expect a sell-off if the iPhone 5 looks physically the same as the iPhone 4. And I'm thinking it will.

I'd like to be buying the same options Jason was talking about. But I don't want to hold them for long because I expect to see another one of those 300 point drops in the Dow any day now because of Greece. October 21 could come way too soon.

I've been thinking about waiting for that dip after the iPhone is revealed. But even then the Greece thing is still out there. Ultimately I might end up sitting out the entire holiday quarter because of Greece, which kills me.
    Sep 28, 2011. 07:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bullish $10,000, 3 Stock Call Portfolio [View article]
    I would love to buy aapl calls right now, but don't have the nerve. The only thing keeping me out is Greece, Ireland, and Italy. Because I have zero ability to predict what the ripple effect of a default will be.

I was actually in with ITM aapl calls and have closed them out.

The charts from the 2009 and 2010 holiday quarters for aapl show you could be right, although I'd probably be shopping for calls closer to the money. The 2008 holiday quarter chart is pretty scary.

What are your thoughts about opening a spread with the short leg in the money? Too conservative?
    Sep 21, 2011. 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Puts RIM On Its Deathbed [View article]
    I'm very interested in why you think aapl is overvalued at 400. Can you provide some detail?

I compare the p/e with Amazon and some other companies and think the opposite. What am I missing?
    Sep 19, 2011. 02:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why Bears Think Apple Can Fail (And Why It Will Not) [View article]
    One of my neighbors got an Android phone a few weeks ago. I helped her set it up. She has zero interest in technology and really just wanted it for email access and an occasional web search.

I found it to be a perfectly acceptable phone for someone like me. Meaning I wouldn't be too upset if it were my phone. Physically it wasn't as nice as my iPhone 4, but it was thin and had a nice display.

I have no doubt that the 4 buttons at the bottom of the screen added to the learning curve and her confusion using the phone. It's hard to overestimate the appeal of the single button at the bottom of the iPhone screen for exit an app. For those who aren't fascinated by technology this makes the phone incredibly more approachable.

The downside was the interface. There were multiple icons for things like mail that my neighbor found confusing. The keyboard was cluttered with too many buttons and too many options. Sure, geeks like options - but regular people like simplicity - which is where Apple's expertise shines. Can anyone really argue with that?

The phone will probably serve her well. But I kept thinking she'd find the iPhone easier to operate. It's more polished. Buying apps, while not as "open" as Google's offering, is simple. The interface on the iPhone is notably more consistent and user-friendly. Sure - that's just my opinion. But I consider it a rather well-informed opinion from someone who's been immersed in computer technology for a long time.
    Sep 7, 2011. 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why Bears Think Apple Can Fail (And Why It Will Not) [View article]
    I've heard that iTunes on a PC is a lot more buggy than the Mac version. Luckily I don't have to use PCs anymore.

The Flash thing only bothers me when I'm looking up a web site for something like a restaurant and the entire site is Flash. It seems for a number of years tons of restaurants had their sites developed in Flash. You can bet they had no idea what that meant.

Not sure why the iPhone and iPad get such a bad rap for not supporting Flash though. Like others have said there are few mobile devices that run it and I know of none that run it well. There's no denying that Flash is buggy everywhere, I'll glad to see it go.
    Sep 7, 2011. 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple To Blame For The Initial Ultrabook Short Supply [View article]
    "They call them "all-in-one" computers and the cheapest I saw was only $599, so not much more than an iPad, but to my mind much more functional."

Comparing a PC to an iPad and saying the PC is more functional is what got the PC makers into the mess they're in.
    Sep 6, 2011. 06:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • iPhone Leak Of The Week: Both High- And Low-End Models On The Way? [View article]
    They're sure if they write it enough people will believe it. Shameless.
    Aug 30, 2011. 07:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Why I Am Strongly Bearish - Take Two [View article]
    Go ahead and short aapl going into what will be its biggest holiday quarter ever. I'd be more inclined to buy calls.

Your arguments about similar devices should sound familiar to you: There were plenty of similar MP3 players as late as 2006. Nobody bought them.

You didn't really make an argument about antitrust either - proprietary doesn't mean monopoly and it certainly doesn't mean monopoly abuse. What specifically should Apple be concerned with regarding antitrust?

I hope you keep us posted if you go short. You might be right, but not for the reasons presented here.
    Aug 26, 2011. 11:15 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment