Murphy Mac

View Murphy Mac's Comments BY TICKER:
  • If You Have Been Waiting For An Apple Entry Point, Wait No Longer [View article]
    The quick recovery from last week and the reaction to the Steve Jobs news tells me aapl wants to run big between now and January.
    Aug 25, 2011. 10:36 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple TV: Not Ready for Prime Time [View article]
    I find it extremely useful combined with EyeTV. My iMac is connected to cable via EyeTV, making the Mac a DVR. With the Mac as DVR recorded shows can easily be sent to an Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, or another Mac.

I don't do it much, but it's nice to show my kids photos and videos captured with my phone on the Apple TV. Without adding a computer to the mix. We also use Netflix.

But back to the point: I don't see Apple TV replacing my set-top cable box any time soon. Unless Apple buys ESPN.
    Aug 4, 2011. 03:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It May Be Time for Apple to Buy Sprint [View article]
    Hey Rocco -
    Which August calls are you holding? Since when?
    Jul 28, 2011. 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Investment in Apple Is Too Risky for Me [View article]
    "It has been incredible, but can it really keep playing at this level?"

If you think of Apple's customer base in terms of concentric circles they started out selling to a a small core near the center and have had phenomenal success without moving too far out.
    There are still meaty middle circles to add: Mac sales in Europe.
    Large outer circles include markets like China and India, first for the iPhone and iPad and eventually for Mac sales.
    Waves of college graduates have moved into the ranks of switchers over the last several years bringing Macs not only to the home but to the workplace.
    It won't be long before most U.S. households have a tablet. What happens on the way there? G R O W T H.
    I see more and more users who aren't really interested in computers and phones choosing Apple over the competition.
    The outer concentric circles are the biggest ones. They've barely been tapped but eventually they'll fill up.
    Apple has all the growth potential in the world.
    Jul 27, 2011. 09:02 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple to Report an Unprecedented $2.5B Top-Line Beat in Fiscal Q3 [View article]
    I remember the Abramsky-RIM stuff too. It seemed fishy.
    May 31, 2011. 11:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rise and Rise of Apple: Time for a Split? [View article]
    You can't be serious about Wozniak jumping in. He won't be jumping in with or without Jobs there. If you're serious you haven't been paying attention.
    Apr 25, 2011. 11:26 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Investors Should Let Apple Keep Secrets [View article]
    After reading a dozen articles on this subject one finally gets it - and says it:

"I cannot understand why it matters. Or, more so, why you would want, presumably, one of the biggest gainers in your portfolio to put so many of its cards on the table?"
    Feb 28, 2011. 09:11 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Says Not So Fast to Apple [View article]
    That's pretty funny alexkhan, seriously.

But truth be told, it's quite impressive that Apple has been successful enough to have a market cap in the range of Exxon-Mobile. Given that Exxon-Mobile supplies the world with massive amounts of products that are instantly consumed and need to be replenished immediately - over and over again.

I think it says a lot about what Apple has accomplished. It's not about products or companies that directly compete with each other, as alexkhan pointed out. But market cap is a valid metric - Apple's accomplishment is nothing to be taken lightly.
    Nov 4, 2010. 12:38 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next Catalysts for Apple Stock [View article]
    I think there are. I know I wanted to see it before buying the black one. But I don't think there are enough of those people to push aapl much.
    Oct 25, 2010. 09:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Lion OS: Apple's Microsoft Moment [View article]
    You're way off.

There are significantly different interfaces here that people need to start thinking about.

And previews of Apple OSs aren't really new.

On the other hand - iLife wasn't that interesting. I was looking for a way to create something of an iBook containing videos and photos and music that someone could swipe through on an iPad.
    Oct 20, 2010. 05:29 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Surpasses My October $300 Price Target: What's Next? [View article]
    I knew from the headline it was Zaky. 384635 - maybe it's unusual to hear self-praise from an aapl analyst because so few of them put in the time and effort Zaky does.

Still long.
    Oct 15, 2010. 06:49 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What We'll Do After Apple Announces Blowout Quarter [View article]
    Good point by cytonychang -

I keep making spreadsheets filled with other stocks I'd consider buying if I sold my Apple shares. I work out what the others would have to do compared to what aapl seems likely to do. And for now I'm holding. Nothing else I'm familiar with has the same growth opportunity aapl presents.

Apple's business is relatively easy to understand, compared to other stocks I consider - which is another plus. And there's no shortage of news.

My biggest argument for holding is what Camden said above: "most of the world's consumers have yet to purchase their first Apple product." The market share is still very small, with nothing but room to grow.
    Oct 10, 2010. 10:42 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: One Last Pullback and Then It's Up, Up and Away [View article]
    I'm sure at 30 and below people laughed about Apple going to 270. You keep laughing and missing the opportunity.

A lot has changed since Apple traded at $30. While they have completely new product categories to sell they also have huge opportunity from current modest market share. That hasn't changed much, and should drive the price much higher.
    Sep 15, 2010. 07:54 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Overblown iPhone Antenna Problem [View article]
    I actually consider your point sometimes about how much growth can be left in aapl - but a lot of people thought $200 would be the peak for a while. I think 200 to 270 is still plenty of growth. And 200 to the current projections of 330 or so is remarkable. Ten bagger, no. But if we were scoring ten baggers all over the place we wouldn't really want to spend time posting here, would we?

When I start thinking about getting out I always end up thinking about the tiny market share they have in computers and overall mobile.

And then I stay in.
    Jul 28, 2010. 11:40 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Overblown iPhone Antenna Problem [View article]
    Blown out of proportion is an understatement. The Today Show had over five minutes on the antenna this morning, complete with two "experts." The foolish Senator, the comparisons to Vista....

There's a history of this stuff with Apple. It used to be iPods and scratching, then Macbook Pros and heat, and now this. Real issues - yes. Significant issues? Not always.

The numbers presented today would have to change a lot to justify a recall. This morning's press conference bought Apple plenty of time to work on alternatives to free cases.

The story will fade, the phone will continue to be a record seller.

Andy - does your projected career path preclude you from owning shares in the companies you follow? Is it simply for purity? I'm sure you could have made a killing when you saw many analysts misinterpreting iPhone accounting methods. Just curious...
    Jul 16, 2010. 03:51 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment