Murphy Mac

View Murphy Mac's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How the iPod Became Irrelevant to Apple's Growth [View article]
    As a long since 2006 I look forward to Zaky posts. His view has been useful at various times when I was contemplating selling a portion of my aapl position.

It seems like he puts more effort into following Apple than certain analysts who get plenty of press. I don't know that it's true, but it seems that way.
    Jul 4 08:03 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Exceeds Expectations Again [View article]
    It's two more years they keep the customer.
    Despite the subsidy AT&T and the other carriers can't be hurting too bad. Look at the price drops on voice minutes for the unlimited plans.
    More importantly, look at the data plans: The new $15 dollar plan gives customers a 50% break on price, but cuts their data usage limit to 4% of the previous (soft) cap ! What other business could get away with that ??
    Jun 25 03:28 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Good Is an iPad? [View article]
    Here's good motivation for you, The Last Boomer:

www.kyleconroy.com/app...
    May 30 07:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Good Is an iPad? [View article]
    Here's what he said:

"Still, I don’t see tablets as a plausible mass market replacement for a netbook before there is a good office productivity suite to go with email, a web browser and various e-book readers."

I hardly know anyone with a netbook. I guess most people I know tend to buy a standard-sized laptop as a second computer. At least those with regular desktops do.

I'm sure we all forget how many different demographics we fall into - and that Apple is targeting more segments than many of us assume they will.
    May 30 02:45 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Good Is an iPad? [View article]
    Joel concludes the iPad is not a netbook replacement. I think it is, but I don't see a netbook as most people's only computer. The iPad won't be a computer replacement for as many people as I'd originally thought. But it's definitely a strong consideration for a second computer.

There are plenty of places the iPad is more convenient than a clamshell computer. In the car. In the airplane seat. In bed - depending on what you're doing.

I expect to see lots of car mounted laptops - like cops and ambulances have - get tablets with wireless keyboards. It's a much more flexible solution.

I use my iPad to watch Netflix and to read in bed. Mostly we keep it in the kitchen with a wireless keyboard. Great for checking calendars, emails, maps, and news. I watch Leo Laporte on it too.

A laptop in the kitchen? That would be nice but kind of scary. Too many laptops get killed by spills. And they take up too much counter space.

I don't think it's a computer replacement in the sense that many expected it would be - myself included. But it could get there.
    May 30 11:50 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why the iPad Won't Change Anything [View article]
    I had a two year old Macbook Pro, out of warranty, with a mouse button that clicked but felt dull. Apple had trouble fixing it and handed me a brand new machine, a huge upgrade from what I had. With a new warranty. How is that for treating consumers properly? Can you take your Dell-HP-IBM-Acer-Toshiba to the mall and get that kind of service?

People need to weigh how much the "closed" architecture affects them. Obviously it has profound effects on you as you won't buy anything with an Apple logo. But for many the fact that thousands of developers have managed to market hundreds of thousands of apps on the platform outweighs your outlook.

Consumers could easily be just as opposed to the tactics of Microsoft and Play for Sure as you are to Apple. Pick your poison.

For some banning Apple from their life for philosophical differences is the way to go. But millions are letting Apple into their lives for practical reasons, and more than likely they have no idea what you're talking about.
    May 4 02:20 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why the iPad Won't Change Anything [View article]
    First - how can you say it doesn't change anything when less than a month into iPad life HP and Microsoft have cancelled their shiny tablet initiatives? Along with a significant acquisition for HP?

Totally agree with rd4sdnk. "Why should it take 60 seconds to power up your PC or launch an application? No reason but that Intel and MS didn't concern themselves..."

I view the iPad as a first step in redefining how consumers use computers. It's not a total replacement yet. It probably could be before long though.

The iPad trims the fat from a PC. For someone who only does email and browsing and flipping through some photos a PC is *complete* overkill. As rd4sdnk said, a PC is not efficient. They don't match up with the most common use patterns for consumers.

There are vast numbers of computer users who can't arrange windows or tell you the path to where they keep their files. Maybe they should have bothered to learn but the bottom line is they haven't. The iPad removes a layer of complexity.

That said, I watched a senior citizen wrestle with the iPod touch interface over the weekend. Everything has its learning curve, and every user is unique.

Bottom line, to say the iPad doesn't change anything is wrong. It's the first step to a BIG change.
    May 4 12:50 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Expectations of Apple Events [View article]
    I agree on the feeling of disappointment. The Air was disappointing because I wanted the tablet.

And it's hard to say what could be as satisfying as the iPod mini, nano, or shuffle. Or even the Mac mini. The only thing I can imagine delivering that kind of wow is the tablet.

Hopefully Apple has thought of things in ways the rest of us aren't imaginative to have dreamed up ourselves - and more wows are on the way.

That said - wow isn't everything. I'm very satisfied with my iPhone and my Macs. My Apple TV leaves me wanting certain additions, but even it has improved media consumption in my house.

I think the next big wow is coming in January.
    Sep 9 07:42 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Preview: A Non-Event for Wall Street? [View article]
    We all know what Munster thinks, he's everywhere. What do YOU think Sam Diaz?? Put it on the line !

I'm convinced no Beatles announcements will be made - the move from the normal Tuesday is simply because of Labor Day. Like in 2007.

Hard to picture anything as exciting as previous events, but Apple likes to surprise. The nano came out pretty soon after the mini - and people were blown away. So who really knows?
    Sep 8 04:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Dropped the Ball on an NFL Deal [View article]
    Dan, if you read closely the post says out-of-market baseball games.

You said the Apple TV has low sales. That's the point. NFL access would be an immediate and major boost to sales.

Yes, some people use Directv for all their channels. But some only use it for football. Directv has gotten a huge number of new subscribers by offering Sunday Ticket. I know plenty of people who have both cable and sat subscriptions.

Apple could do exactly the same thing DirecTV did - add users via the NFL.

No Apple does not have cable programming. But leaving cable providers is becoming a far more prevalent practice now with alternatives like Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, and other outlets. Every additional outlet loosens the grip satellite and cable providers have on the market.

On Aug 21 11:52 AM Dan Rayburn wrote:

> This post makes no sense.
    > For starters, the Apple TV has a very low sales rate. Even if this
    > deal was made, how many Apple TV units would they really sell? Who's
    > going to spend a few hundred dollars for a device that only gives
    > them NFL games?
    > Also, people who have DirecTV use it for all their cable channels,
    > not just NFL content. There would be no "exodus" from DirecTV if
    > NFL games were on Apple TV because Apple TV does not give you any
    > cable programming.
    > Also, you say that "For many consumers looking to quit cable or the
    > dish there was a problem: live sporting events. The MLB deal changes
    > that, making live baseball games easily accessible and affordable."
    > But you neglect to mention that if you want to watch your local MLB
    > team, live, you can't do that via Roku or the PC with MLB's offering.
    > All local games are blacked out. So how does "the MLB deal change
    > that"? It doesn't.
    Aug 21 02:08 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Apple Spin Off Its App Store? [View article]
    Compare Android and iPhone. There is no comparison. Android appeals to tinkerers. A phone OS is targeted to the billions, not the Linux crowd that likes to tinker.

Everything you say about spinning off the App Store leads to it being Android. Well - Android is out there and so far it's not doing much compared to the iPhone.

A phone is far different from a computer in terms of user expectations for the OS. A phone is more like a Tivo in that sense - you just want it to work without babysitting it. Android has a lot in common with Tivo, but start spreading it onto hundreds of hardware devices and you don't know what you'll get.

Stripping the App store from Apple's protective walls would diminish the Apps' ability to just work. And so it's just another draw into the Apple ecosystem.
    Aug 10 05:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Apple Spin Off Its App Store? [View article]
    Yeah, they DO make a lot of money on the app store. People buy iPhones and iPods to get the apps. And Apple makes a big margin on every sale.

Go out on a limb, build a mobile phone when everyone insists you will fail, turn a maturing industry completely upside down, and spin it off immediately so you have no say in it anymore. Yeah, makes a lot of sense.

On Aug 10 11:37 AM rd4sndk wrote:

> You make a compelling argument. If we are to believe Apple, they
    > don't make much profit off of the app store; so by spinning it off,
    > they could make a lot of money on each down load with none of the
    > cost.
    > The potential cost to apple would be to leave its app store platform
    > up to less imaginative people who may corrupt the present excellent
    > user experience. Apple needs to make the decision if the long term
    > risk out weigh the short term financial gains.
    Aug 10 11:49 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple, Research In Motion Both Continue to Win [View article]
    Blackberry unit sales numbers are warped because they give so many away.
    Aug 6 09:27 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New iPhone 3GS: Beyond Awesome [View article]
    @ Vassar

There's nothing to understand, the AT&T vs. Verizon discussion is almost pointless. AT&T works for you. It drops calls for me. It's geographical. I was in Miami a couple weeks ago and AT&T had full bars EVERYWHERE I went.
    Here in Charlotte there are giant gaps in highly populated areas four miles outside the city center. I live one mile out and even here I fail to get a signal at times. Verizon never dropped calls for me.

That said, outside AT&T the iPhone 3GS surpasses virtually every expectation I had. Except the still-photo camera.

On Aug 03 09:48 AM vassar wrote:

> I don't understand the problems people have with ATT. I had Verzion
    > beforehand and now ATT and have not had any problems, both in rural
    > and in metropolitan areas.
    Aug 3 11:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Should the FCC Force Apple to Stock Competitive Products in Its Own Store? [View article]
    @ jmmx

Google Voice is not VOIP. The calls are completed by making an outgoing voice call or receiving an incoming voice call. If you're using Google Voice to talk to someone using your mobile phone you are consuming your cellular voice minutes. It's not "freeloading" as you suggest.

SMS is another story. Google Voice can be used to completely bypass AT&T for SMS in the U.S. You don't need the app to do this, but it makes it easier and more convenient with an app.
    Aug 3 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment