Murphy Mac

View Murphy Mac's Comments BY TICKER:

• Are Camera Phones Killing the Digital Camera? [View article]
    My iPhone 3GS is terrible as a camera in anything but ideal lighting. I can't imagine how bad previous iPhones were before the upgrade. My LG 2MP phone-camera was much more reliable.

That said, the video camera almost makes up for the lame still-photo camera.

Apple should consider making the volume buttons a shutter release. It could help.
    Aug 2, 2009. 08:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should the FCC Force Apple to Stock Competitive Products in Its Own Store? [View article]
    Some of your points make sense with regard to Apple, but not with regard to AT&T. AT&T is one of four carriers who control approximately 90% of the U.S. market.

A Google Voice app is mostly a threat to AT&T's SMS business, as it allows sending and receiving of free SMS messages. Goodbye twenty dollars a month for unlimited texting. Indirectly, Google Voice as a whole is a threat as people can use their landlines for free long distance instead of chewing up cellular minutes.

With that in mind, I'm happy to see the FCC poke a stick at this. I doubt anything will come of it. But maybe someone besides Senator Herb Kohl will question why the carriers have established twenty cents as the cost of an SMS message when industry experts claim the actual cost is negligible. That price points to collusion by the monopoly carriers.

AT&T might rethink their whole stance: Google Voice could make using voice services bearable again, a goal the carriers have not lifted a finger to achieve. Voice minutes are hugely profitable, especially when the plans require purchasing more minutes than someone wants to use. I suspect Google Voice will lead to me using voice minutes more often. It would be interesting to know what AT&T thinks of that possibility.
    Aug 2, 2009. 12:05 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Preview - Guidance Commentary Is Key [View article]
    Quarter after quarter aapl has beat the consensus and provided conservative guidance. Anyone who follows aapl knows the pattern: The run-up before reporting earnings is the reward for the past quarter. Take your profits before the call if you want them. The sell-off on Apple's conservative outlook is your chance to buy in.

I'd say the odds are around 50,000,000:1 against Apple commenting on the tablet in your bulleted "keys to the call" list. They might make a vague reference to China though.
    Jul 21, 2009. 01:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hoping for an Apple Media Server [View article]
    My Apple TV displays my Flickr photos in a hypnotic screensaver. From what I've seen people love looking at photos that way. It's nicer than saying, "Sit down, I want to show you my photos," and clicking through them.

I used the Apple TV for podcasts, music, and video. With Airfoil I can use the Apple TV to listen to Pandora or other music streaming sites. The iPhone is a great Apple TV remote.

Mentioning the Apple TV as an after-thought in a story about Apple Media Servers? Hmmm.....
    May 26, 2009. 02:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does Palm's Pre Have Anything on the iPhone or Storm? [View article]
    I don't think Paris Hilton was the driving force behind runaway iPhone success. It'll take a lot more than shots in People Magazine to compete with iPhones and Blackberries.

iPhone is just getting started. Do you know how many times analysts declared the iPod space was saturated - nobody left to sell them to? Wrong quarter after quarter. Repeat coming with iPhones.

Blackberry users rival Apple fans in terms of loyalty. Not quite as loyal - but it would take a lot for them to consider switching to Sprint for a device that may or may not be part of a company (Palm) on the verge of bankruptcy.
    May 12, 2009. 09:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Another Bite of Apple [View article]
    I've accumulated aapl everywhere from $30 up to $120. If it gets back to $170 or so I'd be tempted to cash out - with a plan to get back in on the next big pullback.

Is aapl one of those stocks you hold forever? If I saw them making serious enterprise plans I'd say yes. I don't see that happening, and it makes me wonder how aapl can move past $200.

Note for Paul Goodwin: Apple hasn't made a Powerbook since 2006.
    May 11, 2009. 11:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wireless vs. Landlines: Past the Point of No Return [View article]
    Things would be a lot different if the POTS providers had bothered to innovate AT ALL. What have they done since adding voicemail and some very basic features like call forwarding all those years ago?

Same with the cellular industry. Why did it take Apple to force something as obvious as visual voicemail?

The landline industry has ignored the VOIP phenomenon going on around them - too slow to even offer new features as PAID services. And now Google is going to offer more than the Bells ever would have dreamed of charging us for - for free.

We never learn about monopolies. Time Warner wants to charge us for Internet consumption by use, fine. But they don't even have the means in place to tell us what we consume. Like other monopolies they're fat and lazy - they just want their check.

Google is taking these businesses apart - like the Fed should have.
    May 8, 2009. 07:56 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Should Buy Twitter [View article]
    First - I don't think Apple is going to buy Twitter.

HOWEVER - You're proof of a point I tried to make on yesterday. Twitter can do the things you point out. And the door is open because RSS has not gained traction.

I know tons of people who waste time hopping from site to site in search of fresh news instead of just setting up RSS feeds in a reader. RSS intimidates them somehow.

Twitter? Like Jason - people have found ways to get the information they want.

To me - Apple would only buy Twitter if the cost per active user made sense. Otherwise they could do it themselves. Further, I don't think Apple would be interested in Twitter in its current state. They'd expand its functions. I don't know how many people use Apple's iChat. I know I don't. But I so use Twitter from time to time. (murphymac)

Anyway - there's potential in what Apple could do with Twitter. But I don't think they need to pay $700 million to get it. Someone should have learned a lesson watching eBay buy Skype.

May 6, 2009. 08:29 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Looks Like We're Still a BlackBerry Nation [View article]
    - Apple has a lot of BB's to convert. Growth = increased share price
    - A lot of companies haven't authorized iPhone use yet. They will.
    - Many companies are heavily invested in BB infrastructure. A change will take time. But it will come.
    - Apple is positioning itself to undercut Microsoft with Apple Server products. Apple doesn't charge for client access licenses, MS does for server access, Exchange, etc. iPhone will help these conversions happen, starting with smaller organizations.

Like you said, plenty of people entered new contracts with non-iPhones around the time the iPhone came out. Now the iPhone has proven itself and those contracts will lead to another surge for AT&T beginning in July and padding iPhone sales for the rest of the year.

Apr 25, 2009. 04:29 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Still Overvalued - RBC [View article]
    Before the Internet people like Abramsky could hide. He's been outed. Now he needs to be investigated.

Apr 21, 2009. 09:08 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Consumers Line Up for the Next iPhone? [View article]
    What about all the people like me who entered into a two year Verizon contract shortly before the first iPhone came out? I'm looking forward to whatever features are added. And my first iPhone.

Based on the slant in your four short paragraphs you could have signed this "iPhone Hater".

"Once the Apple story gets old" Come on ! We're not even TWO YEARS into the iPhone! And Apple's F I R S T phone !!!

I don't think the "three bills" an iPhone requires are the compelling story either. What would be more interesting to ponder is an iPhone variant without a required data plan. An iPhone that was just a phone and an iPod, like the ROKR. But now that Apple knows how to make phones it could probably build something that would actually sell.

Does the negativity in this article have anything to do with the tablet TechCrunch is working on?

Apr 14, 2009. 08:53 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RIM's Secret Weapon: Lower Bandwidth Consumption [View article]
    The Blackberry doesn't have an interface anyone would want to browse with. So they should leave it that way to conserve bandwidth? Huh?

And should Apple muck up their phone a little so people won't want to use it for browsing or streaming video? That should save bandwidth.

What is the point of this story?!

Apr 5, 2009. 08:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • New iPhone 'Evolutionary', Not 'Revolutionary' - RBC [View article]
    "Our investment thesis would change if we saw an upturn in forward demand indicators..."

Meaning, the stock will go up instead of down in the event that people buy more Apple products. Thanks Mike. Aren't you a useful tool?

How many quarters did the analysts predict that the iPod market was super-saturated - only to have yet another record breaking quarter? How many times did the analysts explain how they got that so wrong?

Doublespeak, smoke, mirrors - and you too can be an analyst.
    Mar 30, 2009. 02:23 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Mobile Misfortune [View article]
    MS is easily distracted. They've been late for three parties:

Search n' Cloud.

I think their late arrival in mobile will underscore their inability to innovate and mark the beginning of a steady decline.

NT was an incomplete copy of UNIX, (read Show Stopper) Zune is an uninspired copy of the iPod.

Nobody has ever used a significant percentage of the features MS forced us to buy in overpriced Office. Office isn't a must-have anymore - alternatives are aplenty. Windows is far less important than it was ten years ago.

If someone developed serious competition for Exchange MS would really be up against the ropes.
    Mar 29, 2009. 08:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Smartphones: It's the Software, Stupid! [View article]
    @ Peter Lynch -

As someone else said, there is no Pre. A story like this isn't out of line to ignore it - although mentioning it in passing might make sense given the hype we've seen.

But seriously, other phones have gotten the hype as iPhone killers only to fall far short on launch.

Mar 28, 2009. 08:19 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment