Murphy Mac

View Murphy Mac's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Ongoing Smartphone Revolution [View article]
    Robx couldn't be more right. You provide virtually zero basis for your claims. It would help if you conceded that maybe, just maybe, the iPhone has more than marketing to account for its success.

This article is little more than a user comment on a gadget blog.

Why don't you go write it again and try a little harder. I'm interested in why I should want a Google phone instead of an iPhone. I'm also interested in why a non-technical user would be better off with the Google phone.

And have an editor read it before you post it.
    Mar 23, 2009. 07:59 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Cisco Going to Compete with Apple in the Living Room? [View article]
    I find it surprising that there's been so little talk of Cisco buying Yahoo - not that I think they'd actually do it. But it would give Cisco instant access to a large number of consumers.

Cisco would be at the top my list of companies that could cull some sense out of Yahoo. Maybe some cents too.

Mar 22, 2009. 01:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft + Facebook + Netbook = Getting Ahead of the Curve [View article]
    Microsoft doesn't strike me as a company that gets ahead of the curve. They snoozed through the Internet boom and then managed to snooze through search as well. They chase the curve. Their continued interest in Yahoo is all the proof anyone needs.

Mar 20, 2009. 09:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Just Plain Stupid: Digital Downloads Still Cost More than DVDs [View article]
    A further consideration: I don't have to rip the download to be able to watch it where I want to: On my Apple TV or iPod.

That said, I don't necessarily agree that paying more for a download is appropriate. The market will shake out what's worth what. But that could take a while, especially if studios and labels continue to punish Apple.

Mar 20, 2009. 09:27 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's New iPhone Could Crash Palm's Pre Release Party [View article]
    I'd hesitate to report on technology if I knew so little about it. Your ignorance is irritating to those who are willing to consider the implications of Apple's announcements beyond the shallow attention-grabbing headlines.

Unfortunately your behavior is rewarded in the end, as stories covering aapl draw hits. It doesn't stop me from being embarrassed for you though.
    Mar 20, 2009. 09:11 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thinking Small to Gain Big [View article]
    "The latest gadget from its stable, the iPhone, does not have any of the latest advanced technology."

Maybe you should read a little about the development of the iPhone's screen technology.

electronics.howstuffwo...

Mar 13, 2009. 09:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What's in Apple's Wallet? Cash [View article]
    As a long I'm pretty happy to see Apple's pile of cash staying right where it is. I knew this stock doesn't pay a dividend when I bought in, so why would I expect one now?

Apple has the discipline not to run around making senseless acquisitions. The cash they have now lets them continue to research new markets and products while the competition scrambles to keep up.

I'm glad Apple has ignored the hundreds of articles pushing them to spend the cash.
    Mar 9, 2009. 10:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yahoo's Inquisitor Makes Search Shine on the iPhone [View article]
    The Google app does what you describe in this article. It also searches your online contacts. But why stop there?

Why can't I do things like add a contact or send a txt from that box? Like this:
    murphymac.com/google-s.../
    Mar 5, 2009. 02:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Refreshed Macs an Unlikely Catalyst of Growth - RBC [View article]
    People should read Show Stopper - it's a book about how Windows NT was developed. Then they would see Windows is a dull COPY of UNIX. It was like they tried to paraphrase all the functionality, which explains so much about how Windows behaves. Good book.

www.amazon.com/Show-St...

On Mar 05 08:18 AM User 370063 wrote:

> After buying my first mac four years ago. I have added a mac for
    > three more of my five children since then. WIth only one PC left
    > in the house, and difficult finacial times ahead. I still will not
    > buy any machine runing anything but MAC OSX. It's that simple I
    > will get a MAC sometime this year. You get so much more with a MAC
    > besides none of the problems. When will MSFT port it's OS to a unix
    > core like every other OS on the planet.
    Mar 5, 2009. 08:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Refreshed Macs an Unlikely Catalyst of Growth - RBC [View article]
    These cost comparisons mean nothing. Abramsky assumes that the software / OS that ships with a PC is of equal value to software / OS that ships with a Mac.

Does the PC maker have a presence in your mall - so you can take your HP or Dell in and receive help with software or hardware issues the day they pop up?

There are other factors in the price besides what's on the sticker.
    Mar 5, 2009. 08:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Refreshes Desktop Lineup: Is the Mac Mini Irrelevant? [View article]
    The Mini now has the power to replace a G5 I bought in 2004. The G5 runs sort of like a house server at this point, connected to a Drobo, processing video that comes in on an EyeTV.

The Mini could do this work, generate a lot less heat and consume less power in the small office room where the G5 is parked.

For lots of people who want to go with OS X but don't have a big budget the Mini is the place to start. It might not be for you, but you're not everyone.
    Mar 3, 2009. 11:46 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Eight iPhone Annoyances [View article]
    ChainedtoiPhone - you have to admit it's funny you took time to comment without reading the article.

It's a good article with valid points, but I agree with the comment that it doesn't really belong on Seeking Alpha.
    Mar 1, 2009. 05:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple and Macworld: The End of an Era or Two [View article]
    I would have liked to have attended one of the last few Macworlds, especially where something like the iPhone was announced. Oh well.

Yes, Apple has many other venues to introduce products. But I've never seen Steve Jobs showcase his star power anywhere like he did at Macworld. Even if you hate the man, you can't deny the charisma and natural showmanship. Especially when compared to Gates.

There's a reason people know his name. He's a selling machine.
    Dec 17, 2008. 02:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Office for the Web Will be Ready No Time Soon [View article]
    Yeah - often Apple does announce things and then they're ready today. But a lot of people wouldn't call it a benefit to consumers. It's hard to plan big ticket purchases without a road map.

There's more than just the buzz to benefit Apple: You unwittingly buy a product at the end of its lifecycle and can't resist the urge to upgrade it immediately. Apple gets two sales where there might have been one.

Dec 7, 2008. 11:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Should Google Do Next? [View article]
    Google is taking all the visions Bill Gates had ten-plus years ago and making them a reality. How did MS miss this boat??

Dec 3, 2008. 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment