Murphy Mac

View Murphy Mac's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Apple Surpasses My October $300 Price Target: What's Next? [View article]
    I knew from the headline it was Zaky. 384635 - maybe it's unusual to hear self-praise from an aapl analyst because so few of them put in the time and effort Zaky does.

Still long.
    Oct 15 06:49 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Now Dislike Apple [View article]
    I have to agree. I read a lot of articles that are bearish on aapl, like the third bullet of this article's 'asides'. I read them because aapl is my largest holding and I want to see both sides at all times.

But placing those bullets in with the story about an app rejection doesn't match up. In a nutshell you wrote tons of words about how aapl doesn't care about kids, and then at the very end said, "Oh yeah, I have also been getting anecdotal evidence that a lot of uninformed money has been buying AAPL with leverage...blah blah blah."

Most of the people who read articles here would be a LOT more interested in what your "anecdotal evidence" is - and they could care less about the app rejection. Apps like this one getting rejected is not that interesting. Let me know if Word and Excel get rejected.

See you on the other side of 700. By the way, I could care less if it's "uninformed money" that puts us over that small hurdle.
    Apr 2 05:27 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why the iPad Won't Change Anything [View article]
    First - how can you say it doesn't change anything when less than a month into iPad life HP and Microsoft have cancelled their shiny tablet initiatives? Along with a significant acquisition for HP?

Totally agree with rd4sdnk. "Why should it take 60 seconds to power up your PC or launch an application? No reason but that Intel and MS didn't concern themselves..."

I view the iPad as a first step in redefining how consumers use computers. It's not a total replacement yet. It probably could be before long though.

The iPad trims the fat from a PC. For someone who only does email and browsing and flipping through some photos a PC is *complete* overkill. As rd4sdnk said, a PC is not efficient. They don't match up with the most common use patterns for consumers.

There are vast numbers of computer users who can't arrange windows or tell you the path to where they keep their files. Maybe they should have bothered to learn but the bottom line is they haven't. The iPad removes a layer of complexity.

That said, I watched a senior citizen wrestle with the iPod touch interface over the weekend. Everything has its learning curve, and every user is unique.

Bottom line, to say the iPad doesn't change anything is wrong. It's the first step to a BIG change.
    May 4 12:50 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Will Dominate China [View article]
    But just like everywhere else, Apple doesn't have to dominate. They only have to carve out a slice and let the margins go to work.
    Apr 22 11:37 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Investment in Apple Is Too Risky for Me [View article]
    "It has been incredible, but can it really keep playing at this level?"

If you think of Apple's customer base in terms of concentric circles they started out selling to a a small core near the center and have had phenomenal success without moving too far out.
    There are still meaty middle circles to add: Mac sales in Europe.
    Large outer circles include markets like China and India, first for the iPhone and iPad and eventually for Mac sales.
    Waves of college graduates have moved into the ranks of switchers over the last several years bringing Macs not only to the home but to the workplace.
    It won't be long before most U.S. households have a tablet. What happens on the way there? G R O W T H.
    I see more and more users who aren't really interested in computers and phones choosing Apple over the competition.
    The outer concentric circles are the biggest ones. They've barely been tapped but eventually they'll fill up.
    Apple has all the growth potential in the world.
    Jul 27 09:02 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What We'll Do After Apple Announces Blowout Quarter [View article]
    Good point by cytonychang -

I keep making spreadsheets filled with other stocks I'd consider buying if I sold my Apple shares. I work out what the others would have to do compared to what aapl seems likely to do. And for now I'm holding. Nothing else I'm familiar with has the same growth opportunity aapl presents.

Apple's business is relatively easy to understand, compared to other stocks I consider - which is another plus. And there's no shortage of news.

My biggest argument for holding is what Camden said above: "most of the world's consumers have yet to purchase their first Apple product." The market share is still very small, with nothing but room to grow.
    Oct 10 10:42 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: One Last Pullback and Then It's Up, Up and Away [View article]
    I'm sure at 30 and below people laughed about Apple going to 270. You keep laughing and missing the opportunity.

A lot has changed since Apple traded at $30. While they have completely new product categories to sell they also have huge opportunity from current modest market share. That hasn't changed much, and should drive the price much higher.
    Sep 15 07:54 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Overblown iPhone Antenna Problem [View article]
    Blown out of proportion is an understatement. The Today Show had over five minutes on the antenna this morning, complete with two "experts." The foolish Senator, the comparisons to Vista....

There's a history of this stuff with Apple. It used to be iPods and scratching, then Macbook Pros and heat, and now this. Real issues - yes. Significant issues? Not always.

The numbers presented today would have to change a lot to justify a recall. This morning's press conference bought Apple plenty of time to work on alternatives to free cases.

The story will fade, the phone will continue to be a record seller.

Andy - does your projected career path preclude you from owning shares in the companies you follow? Is it simply for purity? I'm sure you could have made a killing when you saw many analysts misinterpreting iPhone accounting methods. Just curious...
    Jul 16 03:51 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How the iPod Became Irrelevant to Apple's Growth [View article]
    As a long since 2006 I look forward to Zaky posts. His view has been useful at various times when I was contemplating selling a portion of my aapl position.

It seems like he puts more effort into following Apple than certain analysts who get plenty of press. I don't know that it's true, but it seems that way.
    Jul 4 08:03 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Exceeds Expectations Again [View article]
    It's two more years they keep the customer.
    Despite the subsidy AT&T and the other carriers can't be hurting too bad. Look at the price drops on voice minutes for the unlimited plans.
    More importantly, look at the data plans: The new $15 dollar plan gives customers a 50% break on price, but cuts their data usage limit to 4% of the previous (soft) cap ! What other business could get away with that ??
    Jun 25 03:28 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Still Overvalued - RBC [View article]
    Before the Internet people like Abramsky could hide. He's been outed. Now he needs to be investigated.

Apr 21 09:08 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Consumers Line Up for the Next iPhone? [View article]
    What about all the people like me who entered into a two year Verizon contract shortly before the first iPhone came out? I'm looking forward to whatever features are added. And my first iPhone.

Based on the slant in your four short paragraphs you could have signed this "iPhone Hater".

"Once the Apple story gets old" Come on ! We're not even TWO YEARS into the iPhone! And Apple's F I R S T phone !!!

I don't think the "three bills" an iPhone requires are the compelling story either. What would be more interesting to ponder is an iPhone variant without a required data plan. An iPhone that was just a phone and an iPod, like the ROKR. But now that Apple knows how to make phones it could probably build something that would actually sell.

Does the negativity in this article have anything to do with the tablet TechCrunch is working on?

Apr 14 08:53 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • iOS 5 + A5 Processor = iPhone 4S? What Apple's iFumble Means to Investors [View article]
    I helped my neighbor set up their Incredible 2, my first in-depth experience with an Android phone. I didn't want to tell her, but I kept wishing she'd bought an iPhone as I explained different parts of her Android phone to her. Like why it had three different mail icons right off the bat. Sort of like crapware on a PC.

Don't get me wrong, Android is good enough for PLENTY of people, including my neighbor. But specs aren't everything. And while battery life might not sound sexy it's critically important to tons of people.

It would be hard to convince me that Android has as good a user experience as iOS.

She was also surprised to find out it wouldn't sync her music with iTunes.
    Oct 10 03:36 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Good Is an iPad? [View article]
    Here's what he said:

"Still, I don’t see tablets as a plausible mass market replacement for a netbook before there is a good office productivity suite to go with email, a web browser and various e-book readers."

I hardly know anyone with a netbook. I guess most people I know tend to buy a standard-sized laptop as a second computer. At least those with regular desktops do.

I'm sure we all forget how many different demographics we fall into - and that Apple is targeting more segments than many of us assume they will.
    May 30 02:45 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why the iPad Won't Change Anything [View article]
    I had a two year old Macbook Pro, out of warranty, with a mouse button that clicked but felt dull. Apple had trouble fixing it and handed me a brand new machine, a huge upgrade from what I had. With a new warranty. How is that for treating consumers properly? Can you take your Dell-HP-IBM-Acer-Toshiba to the mall and get that kind of service?

People need to weigh how much the "closed" architecture affects them. Obviously it has profound effects on you as you won't buy anything with an Apple logo. But for many the fact that thousands of developers have managed to market hundreds of thousands of apps on the platform outweighs your outlook.

Consumers could easily be just as opposed to the tactics of Microsoft and Play for Sure as you are to Apple. Pick your poison.

For some banning Apple from their life for philosophical differences is the way to go. But millions are letting Apple into their lives for practical reasons, and more than likely they have no idea what you're talking about.
    May 4 02:20 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment