MyPlanIQ

View MyPlanIQ's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 9 Boring But Rock-Solid Dividend Stocks [View article]
    I haven't done any research on JEF.

I don't really have a good feel for the banking sector at the moment.

I take the stock selections from places like the Motley Fool and measure them.

There are going to be winners and losers as this gets sorted out but I can't work it out and wouldn't want to pretend that I can!

Sorry.
    Feb 3 11:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Safest And Best Dividends On The Dow [View article]
    My viewpoint is that you have to read different opinions and review results and come to your own conclusion.

I agree that there is a balance of diversification -- Modern Portfolioi Theory is the most diversified but in these markets, I think there is room for a more reduced focus -- like the Tactical Asset Allocation approach.

In any case, you have to dip your toe in sooner or later and learn by experience.

My suggestion is to start slow and gain some experience and go from there.
    Jan 30 10:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Safest And Best Dividends On The Dow [View article]
    The returns show dividends re-invested. We are working on a way of splitting that out but we can't do it at the moment.

You bring up a good point. I am sorry to say that I was unaware of this. Whenever you buy one company (BP anyone), you always run the risk of a management gaffe or something of that ilk.

That's why the broader ETF's are safer.
    Jan 28 03:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Europe Might Do To Solid Dow Dividends [View article]
    I agree with your commentary.

I don't think any of us can foresee what will happen with a meltdown. Many companies are international and if the dominoes start to fall then who knows.

However, broad diversification with dividend bearing stocks is a solid approach. That is why we use dividend bearing ETFs as our benchmark.
    Dec 17 12:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Stocks For A 25% Annual Return Strategy In 25 Years [View article]
    We do not advocate or endorse the strategy. We just want to reveal the actual performance and risk, in the context of portfolio strategy and asset allocation.
    Nov 28 03:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Total Bond ETFs A Good Balance For Volatility [View article]
    Brad, all of our returns quoted are total returns (i.e. price return + dividend & distribution re-invested).
    Nov 20 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Motley Fool Stocks to Buy In September [View article]
    Thank you for your comment.

It is not clear to me how many pundits keep putting out suggestions in the face of past failures.

We are not experts in recommending stocks but we think it is important to measure the returns so that you are aware of how it has performed.

It's important for everybody to take some time to learn for themselves and make informed decisions. Thirty years ago, we did whatever medical doctors told us. Today we are more informed. The same is true with investing.
    Nov 2 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Great Companies For Your Portfolio [View article]
    I completely understand. We are working at being able to extract the dividend payments separately. At the moment, our system automatically reinvests it. As soon as we have this, we will start reporting it separately.
    Oct 12 02:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 13 High Yielding Stocks For Today's Market [View article]
    I am sorry that we aren't yet able to do that. Our system re-invests dividends automatically. We are working to split that out separately. I hope to be able to do that in future.
    Oct 12 02:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Stocks That Get You Rich Slowly [View article]
    That is true and a valid comment.

I think that there is still benefit from indigenous companies.

Increasingly companies are international.
    Sep 30 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cash Rich Stocks Without Apple Don't Look So Good [View article]
    Agreed.
    Sep 22 03:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Some Defensive Income Strategies For Stressful Times [View article]
    Thank you for your comment. I will bear that in mind when naming portfolios.
    Sep 22 03:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Cash-Rich Stocks To Buy Before 2012 [View article]
    I completely agree. I am a believer in buying the index. You can look at great companies but you never know what is just around the corner.

I believe that you can't outsmart the market in the long term and buying the market is the best approach.
    Sep 21 08:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coffee House Lazy Portfolio And Its Tactical Portfolio Version [View article]
    Varan,

At a time when a fund did not exist, this fund was not used for the portfolio calculation. So, VEU was not used for any time before 2008. The portfolio's APR is calculated based on the portfolio value (assuming dividend reinvested). So, for example, in 2002, only VTI and CASH (cash is always assumed to be available) were used.
    Sep 11 06:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Asset Allocation And Individual Stock Picking A Good Combo? [View article]
    Well, sort of. It's not really a core satellite as the core should be ETF's in all the major asset classes. In this case, I attempt to cover commodities with ETFs and then Real Estate and US and international (including emerging markets) with the equity choices.

In my opinion, the right thing is to have a proper core with ETFs for balance in each of the major categories and then select stocks for alpha in the satellites as you suggest.

I used the existing portfolio and tried to squeeze it. Perhaps I should try a proper core satellite and measure those results.

Great input, thanks.