Nat Stewart

View Nat Stewart's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Future Of Seeking Alpha [View article]
    "Why would any rational utility maximizer ever expend the effort to write a well researched article that *might* earn $150 on Pro?"

I believe that most of the best authors are more interested in publicity, distribution, feedback, and enjoyment of writing, not the payment, which is minimal relative to the risk/reward of an investment position. This explains why people will write in-depth articles for low payment or free - so long as the distribution is good.
    Mar 25, 2015. 10:11 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of Seeking Alpha [View article]
    It is a given that allot of people love the idea of reading tons of content for free. No kidding! Everyone wants free stuff. The problem is that advertising does not support quality content.

With "add supported" content u get lots of "click bait" from those looking to make a little money writing articles, and if the distribution is good some professional investors sharing ideas in effort to spread their hypothesis and gain exposure.

Many of the readers who long for "the good old days" don't seem to understand that your "free" browsing was not adequately supporting the business and rewarding content providers of material beyond click-bate and hobby writing on retirement investing.

You need to think about what is in it for "the other guy" creating the content, and for the business operating the site. Like any business, they are trying to increase profitability - and most authors want something out of it too (exposure or $$).
    Mar 25, 2015. 08:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of Seeking Alpha [View article]
    Sounds interesting.

I have had a few issues when I consider writing new content, related to my particular objectives. First, my top priority has been distribution. I have experimented with "premium" submissions and also many "non-premium".

I was expecting my last pro article to get better viewership that it did. What I am wondering is, can readers accurately target the content they want to read?

For example, I like to focus on small-cap stocks with (mostly) a market cap between 100M and 1B. Many of these are names that most are not familiar with, so they don't get tons of readers based on the name. On the other hand small-cap is perhaps the best area to find legitimate opportunities, because they are less followed - Is there a "small cap" list or service? Others want micro caps, biotechs, dividend growth, etc.

Second, I follow a group of about 50 companies very closely. I periodically think one is opportunistically priced, but don't do an article most of the time because doing a "book report" takes too long and the financial reward of a few hundred $$ is not an incentive, while at the same time the distribution is not that great for stocks that are not "known" names and under 1B market cap.

I'm thinking better targeting specific interests - such as marketing a small cap section/area, might make sense. I would love to get better readership. The financial "rewards" would have to be much larger for me to potentially write with that motivation in mind - and I assume many potential authors have this issue.

So in conclusion - we need either better distribution, or much higher earning potential, to make increased article writing worthwhile. I personally would prefer better distribution - in fact I offered to return my article payment if it could be used to advertise my content on the site, but I never heard back when I suggested it.
    Mar 25, 2015. 08:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of Seeking Alpha [View article]
    The same formula mutual fund companies use
    Mar 25, 2015. 07:49 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cliffs Natural Resources Golden Shield And Gonclaves Will Prevail [View article]
    The CEO is making some sharp moves. Anyone who has not already should read the conference call transcripts here at seeking alpha.
    Mar 25, 2015. 12:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • United-Guardian: Strong Last Quarter, But What About Currency? [View article]
    Good article.

Its a great little company with unique products and a super high return on invested capital. 18-20 P/E seems reasonable, but I would calculate that after backing out the excess cash from the market cap. The Renacidin in a new single-dose unit as well as the "Naturals" Lubrajel both have strong promise, in my opinion. I believe that both of these new products could help them to improve their market penetration.
    Mar 25, 2015. 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kraft +11.8%; company reportedly in buyout talks [View news story]
    It's a wonderful thing, isn't it? Mass layoffs, rationing, "zero cost" budgeting, gutting middle class jobs, factory jobs, and most shreds of human decency functioning within a company. Its amazing how fast profits can grow when management functions with little to no empathy for working people. But at least already wealthy investors will make even more money, so its all good....
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:46 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kraft +11.8%; company reportedly in buyout talks [View news story]
    You should look what they did to Heinz, which was already considered a very well run company.
    Mar 24, 2015. 09:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kraft +11.8%; company reportedly in buyout talks [View news story]
    Yes. eliminate as many middle class jobs as possible, move as many jobs to third world countries as possible, and take as much cost (quality) out of the product as possible. Profits soar so that the effective P/E comes way down - and investors reap large profits.
    Mar 24, 2015. 09:00 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: United-Guardian's Dividend Cut Raises Questions [View article]
    Solid final quarter to the year announced yesterday, just as Management suggested. With only days left in the first quarter, they are saying that "We have continued to see strong sales into the first quarter of 2015". So we have two good quarters plus some new products that look promising coming online in 2015. I think the stock is a buy. Great little company with great economics that mostly needs to work on building new sales channels for its products.
    Mar 24, 2015. 11:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • United-Guardian Reports Year-End Earnings [View article]
    Looks good
    Mar 23, 2015. 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Should Avoid Nathan's Famous [View article]
    I would have loved to have purchased the senior secured notes in my tax-differed account. To bad I don't qualify as an institution investor to get "the call".

If u think about the entire capital structure, they have minimized the corporate level taxation on flows to investors - the company has a very high effective tax rate, I noticed, and now that corporate tax is mostly gone. So if one could own both securities, it would be ideal.

I don't see any reason why the insiders who own lots of stock would want to long term, crush their equity value. It would amount to a huge loss for them, on a net basis.

If they have another angle such as also buying the high yield notes I think it would need to be disclosed. The insiders in this are very clever - to see the real story we must attempt to see the situation through their eyes, not our own.
    Mar 22, 2015. 10:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • National Beverage Corporation: A Growth Opportunity? [View article]
    Retired, I believe that you have made an astute observation. The best part is, IMO the longer a larger company waits, the more money we will ultimately make as the underlying brand value of key brands like LaCroix and Rip It continues to rise. I am super-exited to try the new Shasta varieties as well - the annual report photos looked extremely enticing!
    Mar 21, 2015. 03:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Consolidated-Tomoka - Major Catalysts Plus REIT Conversion Plan Will Unlock Value [View article]
    Yes, I noticed that. It is a perfect example of what many don't seem to understand yet. Albright, his team, and the city counsel are all on board, working together to transform the economic trajectory of this area. The best part is, as each part comes "online" the value of the remaining land will be going up. Investors have the opportunity to buy in below book value with a terrific managerial team and a supportive development climate. I fully expect that the land values will indeed need to be rerated higher.
    Mar 21, 2015. 03:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fonar: A Micro-Cap With 40% Upside [View article]
    Yes, unfortunately the various private co-owners of the business assets have been treated much better than us "commoners" do to their receipt of very generous dividends. Where is our dividend or capital return? If the company fixed this by taking the measures I suggested, the stock would fly.
    Mar 20, 2015. 02:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment