Nat Stewart

View Nat Stewart's Comments BY TICKER:
  • SWK Holdings: A Micro Cap With A Solid Plan To Compound Shareholder Equity [View article]
    It has not been finalized and a date has not been set. If you read the link I provided, it appears that Management wants to go through with it, and the majority shareholder has agreed to conduct it in conjunction with their larger investment at $1.20. So it looks like it is in the process of being negotiated.
    Jul 11 10:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Storm Clouds Gathering For These 5 High-Yielding Securities? [View article]
    I is similar to a stock split because it is a 21:20 stock split, rather than the more common 2:1 split, or Apple's recent 7:1 Spit. If they split 21:20 but keep the dividend the same per share, your actual div. payout goes up 5%, which is the real economic impact to the shareholder. Last year they increased the div by 5% but then with the stock split the effective div payout went up 10%. I'm not judging if this action is good or bad, just describing what is occurring. I am mystified as to why the company does this vs. just increasing the div by the full 10%. The only impact i see is that it is a less obvious way to increase the total div payout.
    Jul 9 12:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    The stock dividend does not count towards the dividend for the same reason a stock split does not. It is more similar to a stealth dividend increase, as u get the same div. per share but on more shares.
    Jul 8 06:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Winmark Corp: Win Is A Common Theme For John Morgan [View article]
    Good article! The company definitely deserves the publicity, though I was enjoying the opportunity to buy under 70 and was hoping for a dip to the low 60's. I did add to my holdings in the 66-67 area. I spoke with the company recently and was very impressed with what they had to say on capital allocation as well as well as the philosophy of the franchise business.

For those who follow the company, I am working on a brief update of the WINA article I did last summer: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Jun 27 08:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Altria Is Our Favorite Dividend Growth Idea In Tobacco [View article]
    If u count all the spinoffs and dividends over it's history, i doubt any stock has done more for investors, period.
    Jun 11 09:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Balchem: Boring But Beautiful [View article]
    Bearded,

I was curious what your opinion was of the recent big acquisition. I saw the activity on last quarters conference call - have you been able to form a solid opinion on this yet, or is it too early?
    Jun 7 10:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A 'Special Situation' Opportunity At National Beverage Equals Low Risk With High Reward [View article]
    For those who don't know (I don't write about it here) my primary business is short term futures trading. Most investors don't understand that short term moves are not logical, they are just driven by money flows. The stop run dynamic is perhaps the most important to understand - If you understand it it is very high percentage fade, though nothing works every time - it is a percentage play.

Allot of the small caps I like are behaving poorly lately - I think it is a symptom of changing risk dynamics in the market, people are getting antsy - particularly for speculative holdings it is a time for caution, as I said a few weeks ago in some other comment (I think) in this thread.
    May 15 10:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It was a stop run. Lots of dummy retail traders cluster stop orders near recent lows, and with this stock real volume tends to trade in the afternoon, with little support in the morning. U can notice this pattern every day (Super wide, illiquid spreads in the morning). 6K share move down that much = ridiculous. I am a sick individual I guess, but (as I suggested in another venue yesterday) I was hoping that this would happen. I am considering writing an article calling for a buyback - so I hear you on that one Bat. I might push that article forward.
    May 15 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Profit From Cigarettes And Real Estate? [View article]
    From the Q4 Call:

"Ken Bann - Jefferies

Correct, yes. Okay and those are roughly $40 million per year at this point?
    Ron Bernstein - President and CEO, Liggett Vector Brands and Liggett

Based upon volume and it’s in the $30 million to $35 million range.
    Ken Bann - Jefferies

Okay, and that will add directly to your earnings from the tobacco side?
    Howard Lorber - President and CEO

Unless the boys in Washington decide that it’s a good time to do something else with the money and come up with another program, but we are hoping that is not going to happen and we are hoping that most of it, if not all, of it will go to our bottom line."

While not certain i find this to be material.

Douglas Elliman is a Jewel in the real estate biz which is not valued properly within VGR. In spite of a complex capital structure there is good potential - or perhaps because of it, as it throws people off.
    May 14 04:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • FTD Companies - An Undervalued Spin-Off [View article]
    It is interesting that Mr. Price took a position. There is an intense amount of skepticism do to what is seen as the significant threat from Amazon and even Google. That makes it a battleground stock, so a rise is met with selling pressure, etc, positive momentum and perceptions have not been able to gain traction.

IMO this is why the stock does not want to "lift off". It might have trouble doing so unless and until that perception changes - or some other factor forces things.
    May 14 04:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Profit From Cigarettes And Real Estate? [View article]
    The recent comments about stopping out have aided my comfort in buying here. Allot of these high dividend stocks have skittish owners who don't follow developments at the underlying company very closely.

With the tobacco payments ending and with strong potential of that incremental going to the bottom line, and with a potential spin-off or other realization of the now 70% owned real estate company (which is going gangbusters on the douglass Ellliman side), I think there is more than a small amount of value here. Judging the stock based on where it was 6 months ago or a prior price range is an example of recency bias. I could be dead wrong of course, but that is how i see it.
    May 14 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vector Group's (VGR) Howard Lorber on Q1 2014 Results - Earnings Call Transcript [View article]
    Was seriously hoping to hear some clue or hint with regards a New Valley spinoff or similar! Oh well.
    May 13 07:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great info bats, thank you for sharing
    May 11 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    From this http://bit.ly/1fxjreQ just released press release announcing the partial redemption of the preferred shares:

"The stronger demand for our Power+ brands has heightened our spirits previously dampened by the hostile winter," stated Nick A. Caporella, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer."

A very encouraging statement!

I noticed on my last trip to whole foods that they currently have a terrific display space for LaCroix, it was all over the place. The cashier confirmed it is very popular, so did the fellow restocking it (I always ask).

I have noticed some interesting new angles on the facebook page and other pages, one being the lower environmental footprint of drinking domestic water vs. the imported stuff. The message is perfect in my opinion, it just needs a broader platform, to really reach out and grab the consumers as a preferred lifestyle brand. Would love to see some attention getting promotions as we head into summer.
    May 1 02:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • FTD Companies - An Undervalued Spin-Off [View article]
    ". If sales fall (and not significantly) this quarter, I don't think it's that big of deal - but market will probably over react."

Considering what a miserable February it was for much of the country, particularly around the very important Valentines day, I would be very surprised if results were not adversely impacted. If we see any type of sell-off prior to earnings it might be the market discounting this potential.
    Apr 28 05:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment