Nat Stewart

View Nat Stewart's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Thinking About The Cost Of College [View article]
    There is some truth to your point. Much of the difference in outcomes is do to the fact that college acts as a filter or screen for intelligence and work ethic.

But the thing is, that does have significant value.

Employers, particularly elite employers, use college attended as a filter or screen. If one (say) has an IQ of 130+, going to an elite school is going to open doors and make life easier, on average, than an individual with a similar aptitude that tries it on their own.

That second person is going to have much more variability in their outcome (perhaps a big entrepreneurial hit, but also perhaps chronically under-employed relative to aptitude) as they don't get in the "foot in the door" at prestigious firms and are not viewed as socially elite (unless they are one of the few who create a massive success on their own, like a tech CEO, etc.).
    Sep 13, 2014. 08:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Bullish On National Beverage [View article]
    Thanks for commenting Batman
    Sep 13, 2014. 06:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mesabi Trust: Cliffs Natural Resources' Q3 Conference Call Has Big Implications [View article]
    Plazmo, Look at a 1 year or multi-year chart of the stock. The volatility you are talking about is really not all that unusual. Just visually in the last year or so I see late OCT 2013, Mid Jan 2014, Late March/early April 2014, and early June 2014 as times that experienced relatively similar upwards volatility.

If u are thinking it as a potential seasonal trading opportunity, the stock has (using dividend adjusted data) exhibited a relatively stable seasonal pattern since 1987, as I documented in this study: http://bit.ly/1qwjj3w

Unless one has good info to trade on (Such as what James presented in a previous article), which had excellent info not factored into the stock price at that time) in my opinion investors are better off just holding and re-investing dividends.

The problem with seasonal tendencies is that the more people are aware of them and act on them, the more likely they are to stop working - especially in a relatively thinly traded stock like this.
    Sep 13, 2014. 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Bullish On National Beverage [View article]
    U ask two questions. I ask one more: When will one of the big boys realize that they might be able to acquire LaCroix, get the market leading position plus a terrific product pipeline, plug it into their massive distribution and marketing systems, all while "taking out" a key competitor? Would accomplish much more than developing or attempting to "bulk up" a brand internally, IMO.
    Sep 11, 2014. 06:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Bullish On National Beverage [View article]
    Got my annual report in the mail - it contains images of a stunning new LaCroix product and an all new natural Shasta.

The LaCroix La-Cola looks like a Diet Cola killer to me! The option value created by the potential for a large distribution deal or a total sale of the key brands is going up. Can't wait to see the new product in the stores!!
    Sep 11, 2014. 12:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Bullish On National Beverage [View article]
    Earnings up 27% year over year and very positive comments from the CEO. Have also been told that Scanner data once again shows LaCroix volume up 40%.

I particularly Liked this statement in the press release:

"Our total focus is to lead the way to more healthy, more ‘Innocent,' more refreshing and optically, more entertaining contentment for our consumers! We are nearing another milestone in the evolution of our concept of brand theming; launching a true innovation by LaCroix."

I think the above paragraph expresses a deeper, more precise vision than we have seen before with regards to the company's strategic direction and focus.
    In the past year LaCroix has already released a bunch of new flavors as well as the Curate variety in multiple flavors.

I have already reported that other flavors and varieties have been in development - they have put the petal to the floor on product development and innovation - can't wait to see what "evolution" comes next!
    Sep 10, 2014. 10:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stop Using Stops! [View article]
    Stop-loss orders create my favorite time to buy. So for that I thank the users of this "strategy".
    Sep 9, 2014. 04:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Exactly.
    Sep 9, 2014. 11:26 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    "...nobody who buys a lottery ticket thinks the odds are in their favor."

This is not true. I had the good fortune of working a part-time job at a deli-convenience store while in college and learned many useful things about the bottom 50%, and particularly about the bottom 20%, or underclass.

One of which is that the concept of mathematical probability or "odds" is completely incomprehensible to a large segment of the population. It might seem see strange to people here, but many people are literally not capable of understanding why lottery tickets are a bad value. If u try to "help" by explaining it they look at you like you are from mars.

Sep 9, 2014. 11:04 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • HC2's Deal Making Offers Significant Upside [View article]
    Good article. It seems like HCHC has a big incentive to get the deal done in a timely way - and of course other SHFK shareholders who are paying attention see that, and would like to capture a bit of the premium before moving on. It might be interesting to attempt to figure out the remaining shareholder composition of SHFK. If enough are going to stand pat for a higher price it seems SHFK might itself be a nice risk/reward situation. I really liked your ALJJ article, nice job on that one.
    Sep 4, 2014. 07:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Bullish On National Beverage [View article]
    Turb0kat, I agree. Thanks for commenting.
    Sep 4, 2014. 07:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Consolidated Tomoka Is Taking Off And Headed Much Higher [View article]
    For those who liked this article, My latest article here at Seeking Alpha can be found here: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Sep 3, 2014. 02:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Bullish On National Beverage [View article]
    I hear what you are saying with regards to liquidity and trading volume. I have it as averaging 20K shares per-day lately, however, which is not terrible for smaller investors, small funds, or patient mid-sized funds.

I also find that there are very distinct liquidity patterns in this stock throughout the day. There is a fairly regular pattern of "morning shakeouts/super wide spreads" followed by an increase in liquidity after a certain point. This is similar to many other smaller-capitalization stocks.

I do think that Caporella is looking to achieve something bigger (as I have written), but it takes time to develop - and only time will tell. I agree about the company being great - It is allot of fun to follow and write about.

Thanks for the comment.
    Sep 3, 2014. 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • United-Guardian, Inc.: Excellent Fundamentals Beat Weakened Earnings [View article]
    Great article about a unique company with great economics. I have been considering doing an article on UG for some time but have not gotten around to it.

"The Company is currently developing variant formulations of Lubrajel utilizing natural ingredients out of awareness of the burgeoning demand among consumers for alternatives to products with artificial ingredients."

I think there is a huge amount of potential energy in this stock, it just needs the right marketing partners, which as you say they looking for. They need sales growth so that the sound economics and operating leverage can really pop. I would like to see them work with Guthy-Renker (creator of Proactiv) to sell a product customized to that direct-to-consumer market.
    Sep 2, 2014. 09:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Female Health Company: Disaster Du Jour With Attractive Risk/Reward [View article]
    Just introduced to this stock today by a fellow Chicago stock picker and was happy to find this Seeking Alpha article.

FHCO will definitely need to deeply penetrate the female consumer market if they plan to fully to engorge investor pockets with hard cash.

Good Article.

I'm a big fan of the add agency RoosterNY and think that they could do some great work for FHCO that would get attention and buzz:

Aug 29, 2014. 04:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment