I am a start-up entrepreneur whose primary interest is in internet and technology stocks. I tend to hold positions in only a few stocks and hold on to them for some time. As Warren Buffet said "I am a better investor because I am a businessman and I am a better businessman because I am an investor"
Born and raised in the USA, graduated with a degree in Finance then worked at a multi-strategy global hedge fund for about 4 years analyzing stocks all over the world. In 2007 I left the USA and moved to China to study Chinese and start a business. Now, I am the CEO and Co-founder of eFin which provides wall street level research to main street investors via a proprietary algorithm. Our eFin scoe that takes into consideration hundreds of factors to provide the best period of time to make an investment in a stock.
Nevertheless, my experience working at the hedge fund and running my own business has improved vastly my investment making decisions. I believe Warren Buffett said it best “I am a better investor because I am a businessman and a better businessman because I am an investor”. I have had my share of busts and winners and have gotten wise enough to always look at both sides of every investment no matter how negative or optimistic the situation is.
I am a value investor with a bent for quantitative analysis. I got my start as floor clerk as the CBOE. While I have moved on to other professional endeavors, I have retained my passion for markets. I became a SeekingAlpha contributor because the user and contributor bases are host to an immense diversity of opinions and talent sets.
Axioms to live by:
* "GAAP is crap". - Me
* "CAPM? More like CRAP-M!"
* "The Crapital Asset Pricing Novel" - Me
* "Post-Mortem Portfolio Theory " - Me
* "The WACC is whack! " (another knock on Modern Portfolio Theory) - Me
* "You have to understand the fundamentals first" - Aleks Chechkin
* "You want to know about charts? All ships at the bottom of the ocean had charts; look where that got 'em!" - Bill McMahon
* "If you spend more than 13 minutes analyzing economic and market forecasts, you've wasted 10 minutes." - Peter Lynch
* "The market can remain irrational for longer than you can remain solvent" - Keynes
* "The time to buy is when blood is in the streets" - Baron Rothschild
* "There is no such thing as a bad investment; just a bad price"
* "The solution for high (low) prices is high (low) prices"
* “You can’t compensate for risk by using a high discount rate.” - Warren Buffet, quoted at a 1998 Berkshire Hathaway shareholder meeting
* "It is better to be approximately right than precisely wrong" - Warren Buffett
* "There are two kinds of businesses: The first earns 12 percent, and you can take it out at the end of the year. The second earns 12 percent, but all the excess cash must be reinvested - there's never any cash. It reminds me of the guy who looks at all of his equipment and says, 'There's all of my profit.' We hate that kind of business." - Charlie Munger, Berkshire Hathaway 2013 Annual Meeting
* "You can observe a lot by just watching." - Yogi Berra
I run a small, private long/short portfolio. I focus on long term value, with a full expectation of showing paper losses in the short-term. Agnostic on the topic of catalysts. Wary of false precision. Usually ignorant of quarterly results and analyst forecasts. Seeking durable insights on business models and industry trends, and general wisdom.