Nathaniel Munson

View Nathaniel Munson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Walt Disney gives financial backing to struggling Euro Disney [View news story]
    I think he means EuroDisney's stock. It is tanking because it's kind of like EuroDisney is asking for a bailout.
    Oct 6, 2014. 09:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • MannKind Fair Share Price $50 Or $150? [View instapost]
    I commented on your stock talk announcing this article. To be clear, I'm straddling the PDUFA date, but believe with about 80% certainty that Affreza will pass, I'm just hedging. I have a heavier wait to the long side. I definitely see those share prices you mention being possible in the long run, but I think they will be bought out before then for a lower valuation, probably in the upper $20's range. If rejected, I believe the share price will go below $1 though, hence my hedging. Thanks for the article
    Mar 26, 2014. 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Report: Amazon Prime to $99 [View news story]
    Same. I've got student and paid $39 this year. I'm one of those idiots who signed up for the free trial and forgot to unsubscribe after 6 months before the charge hit.
    Mar 13, 2014. 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Job gains of 175K beat forecasts; UE rate up to 6.7% [View news story]
    No problem.
    Mar 7, 2014. 09:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Job gains of 175K beat forecasts; UE rate up to 6.7% [View news story]
    Could be more people are looking for work now. If people aren't looking for work, they're not considered part of the work force and therefore the unemployment number doesn't count them. That's also a good sign though, it means people think they have a chance again. The problem of people dropping out of the workforce is one of the reasons the Federal Reserve has moved away from using the unemployment rate as its major indicator of how the economy is doing.
    Mar 7, 2014. 09:09 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Get Back To The Mission [View article]
    Thanks again for your comments!
    Feb 12, 2014. 09:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Get Back To The Mission [View article]
    Thanks for the recommendation on the book. I will look into that.
    As far as breakfast is concerned, I think that McDonald's biggest opportunity is definitely lunch. Lunch used to be prime time for McDonald's but lately it has been suffering because it can't keep up with the demand. When people realized McDonald's wasn't meeting they're demand they left for one of the many other options out there. Lunch is definitely the core of McDonald's business. Breakfast is certainly a good idea (what else would McDonald's do from 4AM to 11AM), but should not be the focus of their efforts. Fix lunch first, and then worry about stealing market share from Dunkin Donuts at breakfast.
    Feb 11, 2014. 03:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Get Back To The Mission [View article]
    Very true. Right now the serving quality salads quickly along with serving quality burgers quickly is incompatible. I would prefer a streamlined, fast, quality burger place to a slow, unfriendly, lackluster full menu restaurant when I'm looking for something quick to eat. And I think McDonald's earnings statement is sayint that most customer's feel the same way. Quality of things offered over quantity of things offered. Thanks for the comment.
    Feb 11, 2014. 09:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Get Back To The Mission [View article]
    Absolutely. Training is one of the most essential parts, because if everyone knows how to do their job, the restaurant just works. If they roll out products as fast as they have been, there's too much training necessary, and no owner/operator wants to make that kind of investment up front for an employee they don't even know will stay more than 3 months.
    Feb 11, 2014. 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Get Back To The Mission [View article]
    Definitely agree with that. But the damage has been done, so the next best thing to do is admit it and fix it. And that takes guts. We will see if he has guts or not soon enough.
    Feb 11, 2014. 09:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Get Back To The Mission [View article]
    Thanks, I appreciate the comment. And what you say is true. In corporations, stuff trickles down from the top. If the right stuff's not happening up there, the right stuff won't happen where it affects us as consumers.
    Feb 10, 2014. 08:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Get Back To The Mission [View article]
    I'd say that's certainly true if things don't turn around. A corporation with a history like this one won't tolerate stasis in earnings during an economic recovery (if you believe the rumors), or even worse, a drop in earnings. He hasn't had a lot of time to prove himself, but ya know, "shape up or ship out."
    Feb 10, 2014. 08:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Get Back To The Mission [View article]
    That is why Chipotle was such a good investment. McDonald's opening health stores is looked at as a joke (and for good reason). Chipotle was something completely separate from McDonald's and it's still a good idea today.

I think that at this point if McDonald's came out with a rewards program, most people would be embarrassed to sign up for it. I mean to me saving money is saving money, but to most people, carrying around the golden arches on your key chain would probably be looked down upon. Not to mention the criticism that would come from the media, "promoting obesity" and all that nonsense.
    Feb 10, 2014. 08:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Get Back To The Mission [View article]
    I worked at a franchise for a few years as a department manager, and much of what I wrote about was from personal experience. When I first worked there, stuff was easy. You could expect someone to be functioning as a valuable part of the team in a few weeks. A drivethru target of 90 seconds was challenging but attainable. Now, with all the complications, even the best crew can't get times down. McCafe was definitely the biggest obstacle to this. I don't know much about the CEO himself, but someone needs to admit they messed up and get rid of the things that are holding them back. Jim Skinner was CEO when McCafe would be introduced, so you'd think Thompson wouldn't have too much trouble admitting the mistake, seeing as it wasn't his own...
    Feb 10, 2014. 08:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Get Back To The Mission [View article]
    It's not an entirely bad idea to have salad's on the menu, but the way they do it now is not working. I was a department manager at a couple of stores in MA for a while. The salads aren't very good, take a lot of time to make, only last for eight hours after preparing them, and don't last very long before there prepared either. I think a cheaper salad, with less in-store preparation would go over quite a bit better and have less of an impact operationally. My bigger point I guess was that McDonald's needs to get back to their core mission of serving customer's fast, and any product that hinders that needs to go (or be fixed). Again, salad's not a bad idea altogether.
    Feb 10, 2014. 08:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment