Nayem Kabir

View Nayem Kabir's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Transocean A Hold Despite Dividend Suspension And $2 Billion New Impairment Charge [View article]
    I bought Transocean back in the $20 range and quickly sold out around $16 to cut my losses. Thank God I did. I can see this stock going into single digits before there's an upward move again & the industry rebounds but it will require patience. I suspect without a dividend & deteriorating fundamentals investors will continue to jump ship. As another commentator has stated - there are better opportunities in the market right now.
    Aug 30, 2015. 07:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Strategy For Objective, Emotionless Dividend Growth Investing, Part 3 [View article]
    Given how many stocks are in your index, why not just buy an ETF Dividend Index fund? Lower cost, has historical back data and I'd imagine the dividend aristocrats within it would meet the ROE hurdle.
    Apr 25, 2015. 06:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean: April Fleet Status Report [View article]
    RIG appears to be a beautiful business assuming oil prices & corresponding drilling activity tick up in the next cycle. The faster the company moves toward a re-aligned fleet the better.

One question I have is what impact the rise in fracking / onshore production will have on demand for high-risk UDW operations? Is there a risk that shareholders pay for write downs & new Capex for a fleet that will not see demand fully restore for ultra deep water? Thoughts appreciated.
    Apr 19, 2015. 06:14 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Offshore rig removals just getting started, Cowen says [View news story]
    Fracking on the whole is not economic at levels below $70 per barrel (I understand there are exceptions to this). At the same time, super majors are struggling to replace reserves without increasingly expensive projects. These two factors provide a natural floor in the price of oil over the long run. Short-term I suspect will be radically different (and painful).
    Apr 3, 2015. 05:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Unilever Can Still Be Put In Every Retirement Portfolio, Close To Double-Digit Returns Ahead [View article]
    Hi, I love this analysis you have done. Excellent work. As you mention, extracting the numbers to input into the formula is the most tricky part & every analyst differs slightly in their subjective interpretation of financial statements. Do you have a good book you can recommend which will help in dissecting the financial statements like you have?
    Apr 1, 2015. 05:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean cut to Negative at Susquehanna [View news story]
    Analyst sentiment on RIG reminds me of how Intel was treated last year when Goldman Sachs put a $16 price target. The stock more than doubled 12-15 months afterwards as people realised earnings were not so bad. RIG's older base should allow it to be bid competitively given already depreciated assets. I don't see it being the end of the world for a ~3yr difference in rig age.
    Feb 23, 2015. 05:14 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean CEO steps down [View news story]
    This kind of comment makes me feel somewhat reassured that a new CEO is what is needed under the stewardship of an Icahn board of Directors. The company needs a radical overhaul and a new CEO is one positive step in the right direction to achieving this.
    Feb 17, 2015. 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean investors mostly take CEO resignation, dividend cut in stride [View news story]
    $6 price target seems extreme. Reminds me of the end of the earth type forecasts in '08.
    Feb 17, 2015. 12:59 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Unilever's Slower Dividend Growth Could Mean It's Time To Sell [View article]
    Good article. Interesting observation on anaemic EPS growth; is this due to share dilution / issuance?
    Jan 29, 2015. 06:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Problem With Intel Is Intel... And Microsoft [View article]
    I agree. I don't believe 50% of PC users would pay $40 a year, let alone $80. If Intel were to offer a subscription service at $10 annually then most people would go for it but right now, their issue is that their chips are no longer the 'best' nor the lowest priced. Essentially, Intel's value proposition has diminished in a world where companies like Apple and Samsung have the volume of demand to 'go it alone' and are proving that even with a node disadvantage can still beat Intel at its own game.
    Oct 25, 2013. 10:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Problem With Intel Is Intel... And Microsoft [View article]
    Hi Russ,

I'm a big fan of your articles. What are your thoughts on Apple's A7 chip performance at 28nm versus Intel's latest and greatest Baytrail at 22nm? I remember reading over 1 year ago at SemiAccurate that Apple's move away from Intel was inevitable and that the rumoured roadblock internally was development of a 64bit chip. It would seem that roadblock has been overcome. It would be great to read an article on it from you.
    Oct 25, 2013. 07:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Integrated Digital Radio [View article]
    Superb article and insight Russ. Love it.
    It would be great if you could do a follow-up especially around the potential for Intel in other aspects of production beyond core processors. For example, licensing IP / patents for a greater share of revenue like Qualcomm has done.
    Nov 28, 2012. 12:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Dividend Safe, Even If It Seems Too Good To Be True [View article]
    Ashraf, I like your technology insights but some of your Intel articles, notably this one make me cringe a little- which is a shame because from a technical/semiconductor perspective you appear to have expert knowledge.

I do wonder how much people have lost (not to mention yourself) on continually buying Intel while it has lost 16% YTD or going short ARMH (up 30% this month). Intel is a high capex firm operating in a decreasing margin environment where significant uncertainty exists around the shape of long-term earnings.

Intel has many strengths, but touting it as a buy/long at this time screams 'speculation' rather than investment and the discerning SA readers know it.
    Nov 19, 2012. 05:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Market Is Wrong Believing Intel Will Grow At Less Than 3.8% [View article]
    Fantastic article. I always love seeing good old fashioned FCF analysis & agree with using the current price as a tool rather than a guide. In this case however, the comment made by BTM is spot on.

Intel's growth prospects are limited at present & it's earnings are not looking as stable as they have historically been. That's down to competition in the form of ARM. Lows haven't been hit yet.
    Oct 4, 2012. 03:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No Chance Of Intel Inside The iPhone: Is Intel's Mac Position Safe? [View article]
    Great article Ashraf - a few points I think readers should consider:

- If/when Apple switch from Intel to ARM for their Macbook line, it's not just a revenue hit Intel will take but a multiple will be attached knocking off billions of dollars off market cap

- This will likely be compounded as others in the industry look to do the same, vis-a-vis Samsung laptops? Apple has already demonstrated thought-leadership in the tech space and it's not inconcievable that with 'good enough' performance and margin gains from switching to ARM chips for notebooks that other vendors will follow suit. And from there, Intel's market cap will simply fall further.

Longer term, I think the stock is headed lower though it will find a floor once earnings stabilise. Intel's new chips could change the game, but based on what the market is seeing at present together with a broader trend of moving to more cost efficient and power-efficient ARM chips - I see the stock price falling below $20. Flag this comment and feel free to hold me to it.
    Oct 1, 2012. 04:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment