Neal Shanske

View Neal Shanske's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Special situations fans might want to have a look at one almost right from the pages of Joel Greenblatt's book. Spun off as part of the Leucadia (LUK)/Jefferies (JEF) merger and now trading is Crimson Wine Group (CWGL.PK). Leucadia owners received 1 share of Crimson for every 10 shares of LUK they owned. It's wine, it trades OTC, and it's not worth a lot - in other words, Leucadia shareholders may end up dumping the stock for reasons having nothing to do with its value. [View news story]
    Company stated yesterday that there are 24.5 million shares outstanding, roughly in-line with your estimate.
    Feb 26 01:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AbbVie's Shares Are More Appealing Than Abbott's Following The Spin-Off [View article]
    How can it be that the numbers being off by $16 billion doesn't change your conclusion?
    Jan 9 10:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Just the Guggenheim Spin Off ETF, but I wouldn't recommend it(http://bit.ly/WoZPcn)
    Jan 7 06:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research In Motion: Even The Widest Moat Won't Stop A Helicopter [View article]
    Looks like Seeking Alpha removed the comment this was responding to. Just wanted to clarify this was not a response to marcap, nor was it a bizarre ex nihilo rant.
    Jul 5 05:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Given the number of articles published, being the dumbest of the year is no small accomplishment. I thank you for your high praise.

Let me make sure I understand your point: BB 10, a constantly delayed OS that RIM has not been able to get to work is far superior to the next version of iOS, which you alone among analysts have identified as so horrible it will destroy Apple's market share, and the users fleeing Apple will all come to RIM, bypassing Android entirely. Sounds like science fiction to me, but what do I know? Did you type the comment on your superior Wang word processor, or technologically wonderful Commodore Amiga?
    Jul 5 11:09 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    So had RIM become just another Android clone manufacturer it would be successful? Sounds like SGI's filed strategy a decade ago. RIM's failure long predates the QNX acquisition.
    Jul 5 11:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kodak Shares Worthless As Company Finally Files Chapter 11 [View article]
    Difference between price and value. The shares still have a price. They have zero value.
    Jan 21 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kodak Shares Worthless As Company Finally Files Chapter 11 [View article]
    Niko-
    Thank you for your thoughtful comment. But I'm with Seeker959. There's no way that retirees will get cut and shareholders will get something. Best hope is for some warrants. Most or all equity will go to creditors. Risk-reward makes holding or buying a losing bet, in my opinion.
    Jan 19 12:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be Fooled By Eastman Kodak's Dead Cat Bounce [View article]
    I wrote previously about Kodak's real estate value here: http://bit.ly/yXFJ5G and mentioned the community college sale, but was unaware of the Colorado land as Kodak doesn't make it easy to identify its holdings in its filings. The Weld County assessor does not yet list any property sales past 12/30/11, but I'll keep looking. Not sure how much they got, but probably something meaningful. Even so, I don't think they can monetize real estate quickly enough to avoid bankruptcy, and moreso, I don't think it's worth trying. They can be much more efficient about this not selling under pressure in the protection of a bankruptcy process.
    Jan 15 02:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be Fooled By Eastman Kodak's Dead Cat Bounce [View article]
    I agree, too late to go short, but not too late to sell if you're long. And bonds are a much better bet than equity.
    Jan 13 07:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be Fooled By Eastman Kodak's Dead Cat Bounce [View article]
    I feel for you, KodKod. Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope that there's a positive outcome for you. I sincerely feel that if bankruptcy is inevitable, that delay is counterproductive. I know that there are many dynamic companies hiring in Rochester and hope you find yourself a better situation.
    Jan 13 02:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be Fooled By Eastman Kodak's Dead Cat Bounce [View article]
    Apologies for implying you were a guy. There are bright spots within Kodak's operations, as you point out. In my opinion, there's not enough time for them to grow to the point where they can cover the pension liability before the company runs out of cash. I think they will make an excellent business under the Kodak name when they emerge from bankruptcy having shed their huge liabilities and monetized their patents.
    Jan 12 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be Fooled By Eastman Kodak's Dead Cat Bounce [View article]
    I am not a professional. I am an amateur. I have written elsewhere in more detail; the point here was that these two new developments do nothing to change Kodak's situation.
    Jan 12 01:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be Fooled By Eastman Kodak's Dead Cat Bounce [View article]
    I have neither a personal nor professional interest in Kodak's failure. Kodak already has failed. I'm not gleeful about it, but people buying the common stock now are likely to lose their entire investments. The company may be successful in the future, but only through restructuring in Chapter 11.
    Jan 12 01:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be Fooled By Eastman Kodak's Dead Cat Bounce [View article]
    Welcome back, InTheMoment! For a guy who thinks stocks are a crap shoot, you spend an awful lot of time commenting on them. Rather than rant about the media, please let us know, based on publicly available information, including Kodak's financials, how they can reasonably be expected to avoid bankruptcy. I have an open mind and am prepared to be convinced- by facts, not by rants.
    Jan 12 12:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment