New Century

View New Century's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Shares of E-Trade (ETFC) rip a 5.8% gain premarket after its Q1 report (I, II) impresses investors. The brokerage firm says it added $4B in new brokerages assets and 46K new accounts in the period, helping it realize a 12% Y/Y increase in trading activity. [View news story]
    This is one of the few financial stocks that are now relatively sound, but still trading at financial-crisis levels. All aboard!
    Apr 20, 2012. 09:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Amazon Buying CDs? [View article]
    thanks for the kind words, Rocco - they mean a lot coming from one of the authors that i read most.
    Apr 18, 2012. 11:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Amazon Buying CDs? [View article]
    I did not notice that prior to writing; good catch andruomail.

If anything, I think that just adds additional mystery to this - maybe, as others mentioned above, the third party is a non-profit organization (affiliated with amazon) to enable library-like sharing privileges? (Or, maybe, it isn't.)
    Apr 18, 2012. 10:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Amazon Buying CDs? [View article]
    I figured that it could not be pulled off with video (otherwise Netflix would be the stupidest company in the world by NOT doing this all along), but I figured that there may be different rights for music. I stumbled on a case involving MP3.com vs. the RIAA, but it seemed that the problem with MP3.com was that they were not respecting the 1-1 user/owned track limit.
    Apr 18, 2012. 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Amazon Buying CDs? [View article]
    Very good points and I cannot say that they are wrong in any way - just that different people may have different opinions. I've grown up in the digital age, and I think I've purchased fewer than a dozen CDs in my life (all purchased about 10 years ago) and I can confidently say that the chance of me ever buying another physical CD is very low.

Most of the music that I listen to now is given away, for free, by the artists that create it (and therefore, I own a digital copy), or it's music that would cost money to buy but I can listen to for free via Pandora, etc.

I have no fondness for owning CDs, as they are actually quite a hassle (i.e. my notebook computer doesn't have a CD drive, nor does the smartphone from which my music comes 90% of the time) so I'd be thrilled with the ability to listen to even more music in my current manner.
    Apr 18, 2012. 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Amazon Buying CDs? [View article]
    I'm glad you enjoyed the article.

I have no ability to create a service like this myself, but if Amazon is working it, they can hire me to help!
    Apr 18, 2012. 08:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Amazon Buying CDs? [View article]
    As stated in the article, I think that if Amazon can control the process so that only one user is using one piece of IP at a time, it could work. But i do not disagree that there will be lawsuits involved if something like this program was launched.
    Apr 18, 2012. 08:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Make Of Netflix's Auditor Change [View article]
    Thanks for the comment and compliment. I took that unbiased stance because it is not possible to tell what's happening - for all we know, Netflix could have gone opinion shopping, or EY's engagement partner could just be someone's golfing buddy. So there's no reason to shout "the sky is falling" when the reason could be very benign.
    Apr 14, 2012. 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Believe The Amazon Kindle Tablet Rumors [View article]
    On the other hand, the trouble with a square-ish tablet (iPad) is that it's not the same shape as modern video. When watching a widescreen, modern movie, there is a ton of unused space.
    Apr 2, 2012. 08:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Believe The Amazon Kindle Tablet Rumors [View article]
    Thanks for the feedback, though positive and negative. I try to keep things straightforward... looks like I deviated a bit here!
    Apr 2, 2012. 08:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Believe The Amazon Kindle Tablet Rumors [View article]
    that example isn't bad, but using the car analogy, i think a clearer one is to say that not everyone wants to drive a SUV. Some people like bigger vehicles, and some people like smaller vehicles. Some people like bigger tablets, and some people like smaller tablets.
    Apr 2, 2012. 08:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart Then And Now: A Harbinger For Amazon.com In 2032? [View article]
    I think that fuel prices would have a neutral to positive effect on Amazon. Rising fuel would first affect Amazon's shippers (UPS, Fedex, USPS, and a lot of small companies), and by the time they pass on costs to Amazon (who would then pass on costs to consumers), consumers are probably making incremental purchases from Amazon to avoid the cost of driving to a brick & mortar store.

But overall, I wouldn't touch Amazon shares at this valuation.
    Apr 1, 2012. 11:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chipotle Mexican Grill: Strong Sell [View article]
    i disagree - at least when it comes to areas where there are competitors. in NYC, chipotle is popular because they're priced at the same level as qdoba and countless local options. if they were $2 (20% more), i think a lot of people would patronize the other options.
    Mar 31, 2012. 11:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Capital - The Beginning Of The End [View article]
    stealing a chart from another author? cmon
    Mar 21, 2012. 08:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rumor Mill: Who Would Buy Research In Motion? [View article]
    You are correct; I apologize. It was written yesterday and I forgot to translate into permanent time terms before submitting.
    Mar 1, 2012. 07:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment