New Century

View New Century's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • How Sprint May Shock Everyone [View article]
    I actually had problems with my Photon 4g the week that I got it - it would randomly shut off. When I was about to return it, it received some over-the-air update that fixed the problem. While, as a consumer and shareholder, there shouldn't be problems with products going out the door at $200 + $80/mo, at least they fixed the issue quickly.
    Jan 24, 2012. 08:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Sprint May Shock Everyone [View article]
    Thank you. I'll continue to cover the company in the future.
    Jan 24, 2012. 08:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SOPA, PIPA, Intellectual Property And Netflix [View article]
    I'm not supporting or condoning piracy, but you must realize that a large group of society also exists that WOULD watch pirated products. To many people, it's probably similar to speeding while driving - it's wrong, but usually harmless, and the chance of getting caught is slim.
    Jan 24, 2012. 08:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Sprint May Shock Everyone [View article]
    1. so that one could, for example, plug it in, plug in an HDMI cable, and stream Netflix onto a big TV. (I don't do that... but it's one possibility.)

2. I feel like I made my language throughout indicate that this was a big IF, not something that is surely happening. Other media outlets have speculated with the same thought too.
    Jan 19, 2012. 08:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Skullcandy Will Be A Sour Long-Term Investment [View article]
    to the commenters - you're making all valid points that I tried to allude to in the article. my overall theme is that in 5, or 10 years there's a good chance that SKUL won't be better off than it is today.
    Jan 17, 2012. 08:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Eddy Elfenbein loves dividends: "Earnings, book value and cash flow can all be distorted. But when a company sends you a check, you can be pretty sure they earned it." Another reason: In this market, it's where the growth is. Dividends have been rising for seven quarters in a row, and jumped 20.62% Y/Y in Q4, the best quarterly growth in 35 years.  [View news story]
    except when GM paid dividends all the way to BK and all the big banks paid dividends while share prices spiraled lower...
    Jan 9, 2012. 11:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Whole Foods The Next Starbucks? [View article]
    I don't think he was necessarily saying that... just using an example of how a specific location effects/incorporates the surrounding community. (Coincidentally, I wandered into my local Whole Foods in Tribeca yesterday...)

One thing to note - in my opinion, Whole Foods will be more dependent on the continued growth of the comfortable middle/upper middle class if world domination is in its future. While a lot of people DO spend a lot of money on smaller premium products like Starbucks, I think that many Americans are very price-conscious at the grocery store and won't/can't pay for the premium items at WF.
    Jan 2, 2012. 04:48 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short Sellers As Short-Sighted As Amazon's Competition [View article]
    here's another aspect to that - Amazon makes it very easy for small businesses to succeed. I'm talking about the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of merchants who list products on Amazon.com. A friend launched a new product via Amazon - http://amzn.to/rG16sm - which is something that would have been completely impossible 10 years ago. Amazon gets money via monthly fees, storage fees, and fulfillment fees, but exposes the merchant to a massive market that simply couldn't be obtained on a small budget otherwise.

I also agree that valuation isn't attractive at this level, but Amazon's attractiveness and stickiness to SELLERS, not just buyers, is why it will be a success over the long-term.
    Dec 21, 2011. 03:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 700 arrested after protest on NY's Brooklyn Bridge [View article]
    Well put, it's hard to say much more. I'd just like to add as well that most people interviewed (but definitely not all, as i've seen plenty of older/younger people featured) are college or graduate students attending $40,000-year liberal arts schools and majoring in humanities, distraught that they can't immediately get a $200,000-year job that utilizes their classical literature degree.

I live in the financial district and the protesters are getting very annoying, so I'm hoping they get bored and move on soon.
    Oct 2, 2011. 01:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's takes a look at Ron Paul's portfolio. Not surprisingly, he's uber-bearish on the U.S. economy - with significant stakes in gold mining stocks (GG, ABX, NEM, AEM, AU, IAG) and holdings in three bear-market funds.  [View news story]
    this reoccurring comment is so dumb. the amount of wage-earning work necessary to buy anything today is lower than at almost any time in the past... so who cares if the price of yellow metal changes when the cost of a loaf of bread is now a few minutes of work compared to an hour a century ago.
    Aug 21, 2011. 11:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In an unusually blunt I-told-you-so, China's official Xinhua news agency publishes a commentary demanding the U.S. address its chronic debt problems: "The U.S. government has to come to terms with the painful fact that the good old days when it could just borrow its way out of messes of its own making are finally gone."  [View news story]
    In an unusually blunt I-told-you-so, The Wall Street Journal publishes an op-ed by Barack Obama demanding that China address human rights violations: "The Chinese government has to come to terms with the painful fact that the good old days when it oppress its people and hides evidence via censorship are finally gone."
    Aug 7, 2011. 01:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China's Dagong ratings agency downgrades the U.S. from A+ to A with negative outlook, saying the debt ceiling agreement means there will be no "positive changes in factors that will influence the country's debt-paying ability in the long run." Dagong last downgraded the U.S. in the wake of QEII's start.  [View news story]
    yawn. free your people... float your currency... then cast judgement
    Aug 3, 2011. 01:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment