View as an RSS Feed
View Nicholas Ward's Articles BY TICKER:
Why Berkshire Hathaway Shouldn't Pay A Dividend: A Long Look Back At Berkshire
- I begin to explain in part one of this series, why, even as a dividend growth investor, I am happy to hold shares of Berkshire and believe the company shouldn't pay a dividend.
- This article goes step by step, year by year, through Berkshire's annual shareholder letters, looking specifically for information relevant to the company's dividend (or the lack there of).
- I highlight the major reasons why it seems as though Berkshire Hathaway doesn't pay its shareholders a dividend.
- I set the stage for the next part of this project, where I will examine whether or not several of Berkshire's recent capital allocation moves have effectively met the criteria Buffett claims as a goal, is currently underway.
Does Berkshire's Duracell Deal Mean That Buffett Thinks P&G Is Overvalued?
- I explain why, in my opinion, the swap of Procter & Gamble shares for Duracell points towards overvaluation.
- I examine PG's fundamentals and dividend sustainability.
- Don't fret - I still believe in PG over the long haul, but I do expect things to be a bit rough for the company until it finds growth.
Why I Like General Motors At Today's Undervalued Price
- GM is not your mom and pop's car company any longer.
- The "new" General Motors seems to have succeeded in streamlining its business, and is putting out a much more quality product.
- I invest in this company as a speculative dividend growth bet, due to perceived limited downside after the recent sell-off.
Why I Haven't Sold My ARCP Shares... Yet
- I outline much of the recent drama associated with the stock and its publicized accounting issues.
- I examine the sustainability of ARCP's dividend and the value of the stock post sell-off.
- I discuss the different possibilities that I have for the shares of ARCP that I own and lay out the reasoning behind my current decision to hold rather than sell.
My S.W.A.N. Manifesto
- I discuss the psychology of my investment strategy which helps me to sleep well at night throughout market volatility.
- A dividend growth philosophy broken down, step by step, from stock selection to retirement strategy.
- DGI's greatest gift: Peace of mind, financial freedom, and ultimately, free time. What will you do with yours?
14 Undervalued Investment Ideas After Recent Market Volatility
- "Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful" - doing my best to live up to one of my favorite Buffett quotes.
- My psychology of slowly scaling into a volatile market explained.
- I talk about my favorite investment ideas in the market right now - wonderful dividend-paying companies across a wide variety of industries and markets.
Let Cummins Inc. Power Your Dividend Growth After Recent Pullback
- Cummins has pulled back nearly 20% since recent 52-week high.
- The company offers conservative dividend growth potential.
- CMI has positioned itself well for future growth with natural gas and international focus.
DGI: Should You Focus More On Share Count Growth Rather Than Share Price Volatility?
- I examine fear from the investor's perspective, and how to cope with it.
- The wonder of compounding through re-investment revealed.
- In troubling times, simplification can help to put the mind at ease.
DGI For Dummies: Managing Your Dividend Growth Portfolio
- I explain why I've chosen to become a dividend growth investor.
- Key thinking points of DGI explained.
- Results analyzed to confirm my DGI decision.
Let Coca-Cola Energize Your Dividend Portfolio With Its Stake In Monster
- After the bell this afternoon Coke announced it had taken a 16.7% stake in Monster Beverage.
- This move gives Coke an avenue of growth that it sorely needed.
- Coke doubles down on its recent successes within the 'alternative' beverage segment.
- M&A growth should help KO maintain its dividend growth into the future.
Why, Even At An All-Time High, Disney Is A Buy
- I explain the rationale behind my latest purchase of Disney shares.
- Major upcoming catalysts: the Marvel Universe, the SEC network and the potential privatization of NCAA athletics, and Star Wars.
- Disney's dividend history examined.
Why I Bought Walgreen On This 15% Alliance Boots Pullback
- Walgreens announced the completion of its Alliance Boots merger Wednesday.
- Management surprised the market, saying that they were not going ahead with suspected inversion plans.
- I believe the market overreacted to this news, giving investors an opportunity to buy shares of a great company at a discounted price.
What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It
- An overview of the purchases I've made since 4/1/14.
- The results are in: these moves represent a 1.30% beat over the S&P over the same time frame.
- A strategic look at the reasoning behind recent purchases.
Stress Free Portfolio: Q1 2014 Results
- The Stress Free Portfolio achieved a 3.56% Alpha, posting a 4.86% quarterly increase.
- This is me, documenting my journey in portfolio management towards financial independence via a DGI/value based strategy.
- An overview of quarterly regrets and lessons learned.
Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds
- I examine the historical performance of my individual DGI holdings against the S&P 500.
- I address several of the common concerns that those who disagree with owning individual companies have brought up to me.
- I've come to the conclusion that if a DGI investor were forced to only own one entity, it would be Berkshire Hathaway.
Amgen: Allowing Dividend Growth Investors To Capitalize On The Biotech Sell-Off
- In my opinion, Amgen is the only viable option for a conservative income investor looking for large-cap exposure to biotech.
- Amgen offers investors a 2% yield with great dividend growth prospects and a low payout ratio.
- The company is down over 6.5% from its 52-week high on March 21st.
Kobe Bryant Talks Dividend Growth Investing
- Talking about his business future, Kobe Bryant lays down four pillars for dividend growth investing.
- The importance of patience when it comes to dividend growth investing is analyzed.
- An investor sets himself up for success when he runs his portfolio like a business.
Starbucks: Fueling Future Growth With Addiction
- Caffeine reported to be the world's most widely used drug.
- Starbucks adding to its addictive product portfolio with moves into tea and alcohol.
- CEO Howard Schultz says that growth is still in its "early stages" - I agree.
Why I'm Long Cisco Even After Barclays' Downgrade
- Even with the Barclays' downgrade, I still believe Cisco to be undervalued.
- I believe income seeking investors can find a safe haven with Cisco's 3.5% yield.
- Cisco's fundamentals are still strong although the company is experiencing negative earnings growth through this transitional period.
Ensco: This 6.25%-Yielder Is Oversold With Incredible Fundamentals And Dividend Growth Prospects
- The recent sell-off of the drillers has left investors with great value available in the market.
- ESV offers dividend investors the best of both worlds: high yield and growth prospects.
- ESV is a part of my Stress Free Portfolio and I am strongly considering adding more shares at such depressed prices.
The Stress Free Portfolio Project: Introduction
- Portfolio management doesn't have to be stressful, stay relaxed by formulating a strategy and sticking to it.
- Use dividend growth to create an ever increasing passive income stream.
- Learn to sleep well at night as your portfolio grows organically.
- Patience: The Key To Successful Investing
- The Top 35 Dividend Champions With Regard To Long-Term Stock Price Appreciation
- Ready To Move Your Cash Into This Bull Market? Consider These Dividend Stocks
- Whole Foods Market Q2 Results: Why I Am So Bullish
- Is Kimberly-Clark's Dividend Safe?
- Looking For Dividend Growth? Try These 8 Regional Banks
- Why You Should Buy IBM At These Sale Prices
- Dividends: High Yield Vs. Steady Growth Examined
- The Seeking Alpha Experiment: Portfolio Introduction And 2013 Quarter 1 Review
- Could An iOS Exclusive iRadio Win The Summer Smartphone War For Apple?
- 5 5% Dividend Stocks That Meet My 'Too Good To Be True' Metrics