Nicholas Ward

View Nicholas Ward's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why, Even At An All-Time High, Disney Is A Buy [View article]
    sneaker, thanks for the comment. Congrats on your original Marvel lot, it sounds like that investment was extremely successful for you. I think you're right about Lucasfilm, so long as this next Star Wars film is up to the fan base's standards the ensuing three will all be big time hits - golden goose, I should have thought of that myself.

I too like the estimated earnings calculator graph that FAST Graphs provides, though I find the top graph to be the most helpful as a really quick valuation check - my main qualm with the Estimated Earnings and Returns Calculator is how far into the future it projects prices. I don't know if anyone or any system could possibly do this accurately. I like to look at it but because of the unknown nature of the future and the apparent widespread bullishness of the F.A.S.T. Graphs estimations (I too am a long-term bull on the American economy but I think its difficult to make price predictions so far out), I try not to let it weigh too much on my investing decisions. Because of this, I refrain from adding it to articles - especially one like this, I figure there's enough future speculation involved with the Star Wars jackpot and NCAA pieces already.
    Aug 14, 2014. 03:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why, Even At An All-Time High, Disney Is A Buy [View article]
    They haven't split their stock in some time now, 1998 being the last split. In the past the split price was always north of $100. I think the stock could very well trade at those prices in the next year or so; it'll be interesting to see what management does. In the more recent past, splits have gone both ways for other high profile companies as far as market reaction goes - AAPL shares seem to have been helped by the move, while MA shares didn't respond as positively. Thank you for the comment.
    Aug 14, 2014. 03:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Constructing A Monthly Income Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks for putting this together. I think it could serve a lot of income investors who rely on month income well, showing that its not necessary to simply buy some of the more risky, monthly payers - retirees can own classic DGI stocks (so long as the lower yield is sufficient for their budgets), live off the income on a month to month basis, and most importantly, watch their income stream increase.
    Aug 13, 2014. 07:44 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    sdz, I have a few articles on the docket right now, so once I have completed the necessary research for them I am happy to look much closer at the shipping industry and SAN and would love to discuss them further. I'm not sure exactly how busy I'll be next week but feel free to message me here and I will get back to you as soon as I can. I always enjoy discussing potential investments with those passionate about the market and profiting from it. Thanks again for the comments.
    Aug 10, 2014. 03:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    sdz, sorry that I'm striking out on all of your interests. After taking a quick look at SAN, it looks interesting, especially with that yield. I am a little averse to owning large banks, I think that someone focused on income can find a more secure yield elsewhere. That being said, if Europe's economy makes a great recovery (back to pre-recession levels), a company like this will benefit greatly. I'm no expert on international studies but I wonder just how well the whole Euro situation will play out with inter-joined economies and probably more regulation that I'd like to see. It could be a nice contrarian play, but not something that immediately grabs my interest.
    Aug 10, 2014. 02:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    sdz, I've never taken the time to gain a better understanding of the shipping industry. I know Cramer talks about this from time to time and it makes a lot of sense - like you said, the vast, vast majority of the shipping that takes place on this planet is done on the water. Its an industry that I need to spend some time on. Sorry that I don't have a better answer for you.
    Aug 10, 2014. 02:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    I think the reality is that GILD is a company that developed an undeniably fantastic drug. Sovaldi is a great revenue source for GILD, but the company does have other profitable drugs on the market right now and what seems to be a solid line up in the pipeline as well. I don't know if this is a buy and hold for decades type business or not but I am confident that until its competitors gain a footing in the HEP C market with drugs that cure the disease with a similar treatment regimen, GILD will continue to post great earnings numbers.
    Aug 10, 2014. 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    smr, I'm flattered - comments like this serve as fuel for my drive to write articles here. Although it seems a bit far fetched, I'll never turn down a comparison to an idol of mine: Warren Buffett (I was recently in Omaha when U.Va played in the college world series and stopped by Berkshire hq hoping to get a photo op, didn't work out though). Although my wife might disagree with you - she's a professional runner and admittedly much more productive than me on a day to day basis with her training - I do my best to subscribe to the philosophy that idle hands do the devil's work. Right now portfolio management and the writing I do here is more of a glorified hobby but I hold out hope that even without a former educational background in finance, my performance in the market might one day land me a job in an industry that I enjoy working for, albeit, in a do-it-myself fashion.
    Aug 10, 2014. 01:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    Bingo - thanks for the comment. I own ED and SO. I am interested in adding exposure to the utility market but I do worry about the slow growth (albeit, steady) that generally comes from this sector. BMO is a company that I've followed for some time now. The only bank I own is WFC - I worry about owning banks having seen how many of the US banks traded during the 'Great Recession'. I'll be sure to take a closer look at your suggestions.

As far as KO goes, I do worry about interest in its products declining, especially since its my largest holding. I love the dividend and it seems safe for the time being. I think that KO's reach is so long that it will do fine in the long run - I think the decline in soda sales is a long-term trend but I also think the company can be nimble enough to continue to push its alternative beverage products and continue to develop/use M&A to products that a more health conscious consumer will want to buy. After all, we humans have to drink something (and I don't think we're ready as a society to settle for tap water).
    Aug 10, 2014. 01:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    pacemaker, thanks for the comment. I agree wholeheartedly, its hard to argue with something that cures a potentially lethal disease that is so widespread. I think that eventually the market will catch up with Sovaldi and other companies will succeed in curing Hep C as well, but until then I like GILD's pricing power and feel confident that investors will have a few more quarters of outstanding Sovaldi driven growth while GILD is king of the mountain in the Hep C market.
    Aug 10, 2014. 01:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    earthtodan, thanks for taking the time to comment. UNFI is a company that I follow for the exact reasons that you mentioned. Even after its recent pullback I still worry about overvaluation as well as its lack of dividend. If the negative trend continues to the point where I feel better about the fundamentals I will do seriously considering adding a few shares.
    Aug 10, 2014. 01:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    6537711, thanks for the comment. I'd like to think that I'm a buy and monitor guy who'd love to hold forever so long as certain benchmarks are consistently hit by my holdings. I like the DGI strategy headed into a bear market as far as lowering my cost average goes. If I thought I could accurately time a market downturn I would raise cash, the problem is, I've heard naysayers of this market for nearly 2 years now and it keeps climbing. My increasing income focused strategy allows me to look past the movements in the market and focus on my goals. So long as they are met I'll be happy.
    Aug 10, 2014. 12:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    Indy, VZ has worked it way onto my closely follow list right now after its recent dip. I'd love to pick up shares in the $44 range. Not sure if that'll happen but I man can hope right? I have a hard time deciding which company is better, T or VZ. T's higher yield and lower valuation spark my interest but I admit that VZ offers the superior product due to its network. I own both KO, PEP, SJM, and SBUX to really corner the market on beverages, I'll probably eventually do the same with the domestic teleco's owning both T and VZ.
    Aug 10, 2014. 12:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    sdz, I don't follow SAN. I will be sure to check it out. Thanks for the tip.
    Aug 10, 2014. 12:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    Holsumdoc, I am long BLK - my entry was in the 296 range if I remember correctly. I thought this would be a better performer for me this year, I really like the company - especially in a strong bull market. There is more volatility here than I typically like to see but I wanted more exposure to financials and I thought BLK was a better way to do it than buying big banks (with the exception of WFC).
    Aug 10, 2014. 12:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment