Nicholas Ward

View Nicholas Ward's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    rhiannion, I do plan on doing a "Ward's Dividend Heat Map" volume on REITs. They just take a bit more work because their data isn't as widely available - I usually have to look it up myself and sometimes even figure out per/share data because the brokerage research platforms that I use only operate in EPS...not FFO. That said, I expect one day you will get your wish. I have a few other ideas I hope to work on this weekend but I do hope to get a REIT piece published in the somewhat near future. Thanks for your comment.
    Mar 27, 2015. 04:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Buyandhold, you're right...you can top that. Your example would humble any investor griping about missed opportunity. I am sorry that you decided against Berkshire back in the day.

Like you said, you've done well in the markets regardless and there is no use crying over spilled milk. Though I aim to bat higher than 300, your words are comforting. Thank you for your comment, as always.
    Mar 27, 2015. 04:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    DJ, thanks for taking the time to comment. You are not alone with your thinking with regard to DLR. I've seen this stock debated between DGI guys and gals and there never seems to be a consensus opinion. WPC on the other hand does seem to be more widely loved. I hope I am able to add. Like I said before, I target a 6% yield. Who knows though, I am bite the bullet and add lower than that. I like owning REITs and this company has a nice, diversified real estate portfolio.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    crazty4tennis, thank you for commenting. I appreciate your praise. I'm glad you find the graphs helpful. It looks like you've got a nice bundle of DGI stocks there. I own several and would be interested in adding several more if/when the price is right.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Archman, I imagine that we all sort of invest from the same bag of stocks because there are only a limited number of companies that have built qualified dividend resumes or make sense from a tax perspective.

Would you care to list companies outside of this typical box that investors might consider? I am always interested in adding high quality companies to my watch lists.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Dale, where's the fun in that? Just kidding - I know your an indexing guy. I see to problems with this strategy, and like you said, it is the easiest way to go about it. My issue with index funds is that because of their universal holdings, they don't allow me to buy the individual value when I see it. Sure, after a market wide meltdown I think purchasing an index fund makes sense...when just about everything is cheap. But, at times like this, when most things are expensive, I would much rather value shop the isles, looking for individual deals, rather than mindlessly buying everything on my grocery list without worrying about the price. Maybe this is me being naive or arrogant thinking that I am spot irrationally priced value in the market. Time will tell. Until I am certain that I am unable to do this using fundamental analysis I will continue to screen and buy individual holdings. In a few years if you notice me writing about funds rather than companies, you'll know that I've admitted defeat.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    I will look into adding this column. I look at credit ratings when I am doing my further DD on a company. I didn't want to WDHM to grow too large - its meant to be more of a baseline too. That said, credit rating is very important and helps to show management effectiveness and trustworthiness, imo. I thank you both for your suggestions. I will do an updated graph and see how much it shows up on the SA articles with another column included. Thanks.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    liusing, thank you for your comment. I hope you're right. Every year I donate a certain percentage of gains, realized or not, to charities doing good work for those less fortunate. The better I do in the markets, the more aid I'm able to give to others. This helps to ground my thought and to remember that money isn't everything; though, it can be a wonderful source of positive change in the world.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    anonymoose, I'm glad you found the heat maps helpful. This helps me to justify spending the time to put those spread sheets together. Thanks for commenting.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Mike, glad you took the time to look into it - its always a good day when you learn something new. I think it was yielding closer to 3% when I originally bought shares. I agree, the 2.5% yield now is not as attractive. I think from a traditional diversification standpoint, its a good bank to hold. I've read a lot of bullish pieces on BofA lately, basically from an undervalued contrarian standpoint but I've decided to pass on that.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Gary, you are right. I still consider DLR to be a relatively risky investment (or at least, risky compared to the typical company that I follow). I've held off on adding to my REITs with re-investment because I fear the backlash that will rip through the sector when rates rise. The REITs I own had a great run last year so I've been using their dividends to add strength elsewhere in my portfolio. That said, I'm happy to hold them and looking to add more (eventually).
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Mike, I wasn't aware that you were long GILD - I must have missed that one (or forgotten about it, that happens from time to time). I've been long about a year now and its been a nice ride.

WFC is the only true bank that I own. It was one of my first purchases, basically based off of Buffett's position. I own several of the credit card companies and debt providers though. My average lot purchase size was smaller when I first bought WFC than it is now. I've been trying to build that position up slowly through FRIPing.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Dividend, thanks for your comment. I'm glad you like the heat map system; I am a big fan of F.A.S.T. Graphs and its ability to very quickly shed light on a company's value. This is my attempt to create a similar tool; though I admit, it doesn't come close to the usefulness of F.A.S.T. Graphs. I do think it has merits though, especially in a comparative study. Its nice to see groups of similar stocks compared side by side.

I hope you're right about WPC - I've been waiting patiently to add shares to my portfolio. If I remember correctly, you were one of those who were bullish on WPC before when it was yielding 6%. I should have listened to you in the first place :).
    Mar 26, 2015. 10:38 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Better (Balanced) Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    correct way to invest, thank you for commenting.

Both companies have rising payout ratios and high free cash flow dividend coverage (65% for VZ and 78% for MCD). This are trends worth monitoring by dividend growth investors. MCD's issues are a bit more concerning for me, as are the industry headwinds that it faces. As a potential investor, I fear the public's changing opinions on processed food more than I do VZ's high debt load and "competition"...as you can see, I don't think that the smaller service providers pose much of a threat to the duopoly that is VZ and AT&T. I don't own either company, though I will have to respectfully disagree with you; while I don't believe that either company will cut its dividend anytime soon (I do think that MCD is likely to under perform its expectations as far as dividend growth goes), if I had to choose, I would say that MCD's dividend is at more risk of being cut.
    Mar 26, 2015. 10:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Dividend Growth Investors Fear Interest Rate Volatility? [View article]
    rnsmth, thanks for your comment and story. Just goes to show there is more than one way to skin this cat. Both parties are happy and success in this occasion. Valuation can be a handy tool...as can reliably increasing dividends and the peace of mind that comes with them.
    Mar 21, 2015. 10:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment