Nicholas Ward

View Nicholas Ward's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    Soccerdad, I think you hit the nail on the head - everyone should do what works best for them and what they feel comfortable with. I wouldn't worry much about duplication - I'm assuming that if you bought something for yourself, you like it and probably wouldn't mind owning it twice. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
    Apr 2 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amgen: Allowing Dividend Growth Investors To Capitalize On The Biotech Sell-Off [View article]
    Rudester, thank you for pointing out my mistake. The discrepancy is amazing. It'll be interesting to see if there is any action take. I will say that if my mind serves me correctly, the cost in the U.K. was in the $60,000 range - so it's not as if it's $90 everywhere else in the world.
    Apr 1 10:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    PACKER, I think this is a great way to think about investing (so long as you analyze the fundamentals of the companies that you use before purchasing). Anyway, I can tell you for sure that I don't feel as guilty paying $3.69 for a box of 12 chunky chocolate chip cookies from Harris Teeter since purchasing $KR stock not long ago - it helps that I'm up over 20% in a slightly less than 2 months.
    Apr 1 10:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    Uain, thanks for your comment. Congrats on your success as well - I hope that in a few years I'll be able to look back and compare my current income to past on a y/y basis favorably. Every month I excitedly tell me wife about the shares we repurchased through Scottrade's flexible re-investment program - she isn't all that interested, but I sure am excited. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who truly enjoys the process, not just the results.
    Apr 1 09:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    John, first of all, I hope you're wrong. I think your statement is probably too over arching as I would bet that there are plenty of DGI investors who beat the market. You have to keep in mind that defensive stocks may not perform as well as high flying momentum picks during long term bull markets, but during down years these stocks will more than likely out perform as the market corrects a lot of the irrational exuberance that occurs when things are rosy. Secondly, I think there are probably two sorts of DGI investors. Those who care only about their income stream, most likely because they rely on it for their well being, and those who are value investors and invest in DGI because often times companies that fall into this category are great companies that offer investors perceived safety through predictability and an income stream, which enables them to growth their wealth during bull markets and increase the value of their assets during bear markets - all without selling a share.
    Apr 1 05:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    Buyandhold - thank you for your comment. I'm happy to see that I own 3/4 of your favorites. Berkshire and Phillip Morris are two of my largest holdings. My limited understanding of funds in general has led me to believe something similar to the points you make above. Maybe its just the passive arrogance that seems to permeate from professions who relentlessly push mutual funds onto small time investors like me.
    Apr 1 05:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    SDS, thanks for the comment. A lot of information to soak up there. I agree that a 'dividends in danger' series of articles would be a great thing for investors here. This would obviously have to be well done and the author would require a thick skin because I fan already imagine long-term owners of companies like KO or PG coming to the defense of their darlings with a vengeance.
    Apr 1 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    David, thanks for your comment. I haven't invested through a major bear market cycle yet but you're right, these are the times when investors can really do well, especially, if like you said, they invest "without emotion, without bias, without angst." I've thought a lot about my plan of action - sometimes events like these even seem like situations worth looking forward to for dividend growth investors (there are SO many blue chip companies that I would LOVE to own, but aren't willing to pay the premiums they currently demand). I hope I have what it takes to maintain a level head and make rational decisions during these down cycles. I believe that I do - otherwise I wouldn't manage my own money - but, only time will tell.
    Apr 1 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    Cross, this portfolio has been built mainly since October of last year. Once I get my quarterly statement from my brokerage (this will save me plenty of time/work) I will write a Q1 update on the Stress Free Portfolio. I will continue to update readers on my portfolio and performance moving forward as long as I have time to write here on SA. Stay tuned.
    Apr 1 05:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    Varan, you're right, it wasn't - I just wanted to compare my holdings historical performance to the market because of so many index fund suggestions in comments. I like income - especially predictably increasing income - its just nice to know that at least in the past, I've out performed.
    Apr 1 05:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    Keu, I too am not a huge fan of owning bonds in a rising rates environment. I've had this discussion with my financial adviser about the portion of my money that he manages - I'm slowly in the process of taking control, building the above DGI portfolio - and he's currently interested in certain closed end muni funds that are (or were when he went over the information with me anyway) trading at a discount to NAV (and historical NAV spread). Maybe you'd be interested in looking into something like that; I'm sorry I don't have more info, I focus on equities and let him take care of that business. Anyway, happy investing.
    Apr 1 05:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    Dividend Watcher, thank you for your comment - it's always nice to know your work is appreciated. I'm interested to know which companies I own that you wouldn't be interested in and why? I'm always happy to compare my holdings to others' and try to take something positive away from the experience.
    Apr 1 05:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    Jan, thanks for your comment. I agree that when writing an article like this there is going to be survivorship bias - there has to be in this case because these are the stocks I currently own. Therefore, they have to have survived throughout the time period otherwise it would be impossible for me to own them. I haven't been investing long - none of the companies I've chosen to own have faced the same fate as Kodak or financial institution facing the 'great recession'. I can assure you that if I had owned a company like this I would write about its failure and my reaction. Hopefully I'll never have to do so, but this saga following my portfolio is all about transparency so that other investors can compare their experiences to my own and hopefully learn a thing or two, even if its what not to do.
    Apr 1 05:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kobe Bryant Talks Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Erpichtauf, I guess that we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I view a DRIP situation as a stock adding buildings blocks to itself, growing organically. Sure, it may be viewed differently by the IRS when you sell, but I think that many DGI investors hope that they don't have to sell, or at least, not anytime soon - they're focused much more on the growing income stream than they are tax implications of selling shares.
    Mar 31 11:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bruce, I appreciate your comment. I agree with you at Gilead offers investors much more upside according to the S&P Capital fair value ratings. Personally, I am not opposed to owning non-dividend stocks. I prefer dividends as I've built my portfolio around a dividend growth model because of what I believe to be long-term safety and performance potential; however, if you check out the disclosure on this article, I am considering buying all four of the 'major players' listed, not just AMGN (too bad today was a big bounce day for GILD and AMGN - hopefully they come back down for me to buy them before making their big run). I wrote this piece for those readers who demand a dividend from their holdings and therefore, don't often have the opportunity to add exposure to this industry.
    Mar 31 11:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment