Nicholas Ward

View Nicholas Ward's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Be Greedy When Others Are Fearful: Baxter International [View article]
    Although I do like Ernie's idea...should have just tried to play it cool.
    Feb 24, 2015. 03:00 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Greedy When Others Are Fearful: Baxter International [View article]
    typos galore - I guess that's what happens when you try and write two articles in the span it would normally take for one. Thanks for the catch.
    Feb 24, 2015. 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: 2 Strikes... And You're Out [View article]
    buyandhold - thanks for stopping by. I hope that you never feel as though your words fall on deaf ears. I've said this before and I will say it again: I truly respect your dedication to your strategy and I congratulate you on your success. That being said, I also believe that there are many different ways to achieve success in the markets. Individuals have their own goals and must do their best with their decisions to meet those goals. As you mentioned, I am young. I have a very long-term horizon and therefore, like to focus on above average dividend growth. Walmart wasn't even offering an average growth - it has been very disappointing as of late for a company with its current yield. Only time will tell if our decisions are the correct ones.

That all said, I think its worth mentioning that its not only young investors who are parting ways with WMT. I've read several articles as of late written by who I consider to be well respected elder members of the DGI community who have also sold their stakes. Others have come out of the wood works en masse in the comment sections of WMT related articles - I don't think this is an age or generational issue with the stock, I think its solely income related. There so many great companies in the markets; many of which offering much better dividend growth prospects than WMT.
    Feb 24, 2015. 02:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Greedy When Others Are Fearful: Baxter International [View article]
    fish, thank you for commenting.

"Shareholders should also feel good about all the people's lives that are made better by this company."

This is right - that's the best kind of investment.
    Feb 24, 2015. 02:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Greedy When Others Are Fearful: Baxter International [View article]
    Ernie, thanks for your comment. I'l be sure to take a closer look at Unilever, its always been on my consumer staples watch list but I've never really taken a deep look.
    Feb 24, 2015. 02:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Greedy When Others Are Fearful: Baxter International [View article]
    dmikester - I wish it was sarcasm...no, the notorious typo. An edit has been submitted. Thanks for catching it - I tend to read over mistakes like that.
    Feb 24, 2015. 01:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: 2 Strikes... And You're Out [View article]
    Golfer, it sounds like you've been justified in your previous sale then (after a year's worth of underperformance and another low raise). Well done.

Your name is upsetting to me though; I'm sitting here and its 10 degrees outside...wish I was at the range on a nice spring day.
    Feb 24, 2015. 01:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: 2 Strikes... And You're Out [View article]
    Texas, thanks for your story. You've done quite well holding WMT for so long - congrats. I agree with you, I think that both the company and the stock have their problems and worries. Neither of these problems are insurmountable, but like you said, definitely cause for re-evaluation.
    Feb 24, 2015. 01:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: 2 Strikes... And You're Out [View article]
    Roady and Scott, thank you for commenting. I appreciate your level headed responses, that is admirable. Isn't it wonderful when we can disagree but be civil about it? I wish you both the best with your WMT positions in the future. As I said in the article, if the stock sells off a bit and starts yielding a bit more, I may very well re-join you in the long Walmart ship.
    Feb 24, 2015. 01:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: 2 Strikes... And You're Out [View article]
    Steve, wonderful comment. You saved me a response.

Cape: I own both HCP and JNJ. Great companies. I'm a little skiddish adding to my REITs with rising interest rates on the horizon. I don't think a rate rise will be the end of the world for REITs...but I expect that the market will react as such. I plan on adding to my favorites if/when the sell off that I expect to happen occurs. I bought most of my REITs in late 2013 on a similar rate sensitive sell off.
    Feb 24, 2015. 01:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: 2 Strikes... And You're Out [View article]
    awayk, thanks for taking the time to comment. I don't typically write about selling companies (it isn't something that I do very often), but I know when you do, you're bound to have a negative response to those who feel overly attached to a company that they hold. The BAX article is published - I had made an edit to this article linking it at the bottom (usually SA is great about posting those edits quickly). Glad to see I'm not the only one in this boat - regardless of the naysayers, I believe our reasoning is sound.
    Feb 24, 2015. 01:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: 2 Strikes... And You're Out [View article]
    Mitchell, sorry that you disagree. Best wishes and God bless.
    Feb 24, 2015. 01:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart: 2 Strikes... And You're Out [View article]
    capitalallocator, thank you for your comment. I agree with you, one year isn't worth making a decision to sell over (unless that one year involves a cut). However, two years over very sub par growth is concerning. I think it is more likely that this low growth continues than it is that it bounces back. If Walmart is making a commitment to large scale restructuring, this won't be a short-term fix. Investors focused on income can do better.
    Feb 24, 2015. 01:38 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Over Think It, Buy Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    I am aware. I imagine that this is part of the reason for the stocks' recent sell off. I don't have a good estimate as to how much this will effect earnings moving forward. I said this above (though I know its easy for things to be buried in a comment pile this large), I just have to trust in the company's management and their ability to navigate waters like this. These people have been making great decisions for years and year and I don't expect that to stop anytime soon. Sure, the Remicade issue could be a headwind in the short term. It might even give me the opportunity to add shares at a lower price. But, looking decades down the road (God willing), this isn't a huge concern for me.
    Feb 24, 2015. 01:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Over Think It, Buy Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    I'd be interested in your metric(s) as well. I determined JNJ to be fairly valued at current prices. Always happy to learn a thing or two though.
    Feb 23, 2015. 02:15 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment