Nicholas Ward

View Nicholas Ward's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    Reading WDL's comment, it appears to me that they were assuming an upcoming dividend increase and using that speculation to get to a 3% yield sooner than you would at today's dividend payment. I don't use this method - I only use current dividend payment...I expect that MMM will increase the divy on schedule but I try and avoid speculation at all costs.
    Aug 6, 2015. 10:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Procter & Gamble - There Is No Bargain For This High-Quality Dividend Stock [View article]
    Richard and Besdayz,

I really appreciate both of your responses.

Richard, yours especially, gives me a really nice jumping off point for some thought and further research here.

I know this is an area of investing that I need to work on/improve my understanding of. Thanks for your self.
    Aug 6, 2015. 02:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    Nope, when we arrived this evening they assured us the magic was real and all activities were scheduled as planned. They did a fantastic firework display tonight over Cinderella's Castle. I'm told they do so every night. I don't know how much a show like that costs, but I can't imagine its cheap. From what I can tell, they don't seem to worried about these parts.

I wasn't planning on doing a lot of stock work while we were down here but several recent dips have supplied me with interest. I need to figure out when/where I want to add to these wonderful companies.

I'm working on a DIS piece now. Hopefully I'll track down Mickey or Goofy over the next couple of days and grab a picture to go just below the headline.
    Aug 6, 2015. 01:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Richard, thanks for this comment. I don't use options to boost income like this but I love to read your posts. They make so much sense when you lay them out nicely like that. Here's a question coming from an absolute option newby: what is the potential downside to this sort of play?
    Aug 6, 2015. 12:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Dividend Growth Investing (DGI) A Fad? [View article]
    Love the piece. I'm a sucker for cool, dividend related history like this. I'd love to read more about "dividends through the ages"...if I had more spare time, maybe I'd attempt to write this book myself. Thanks for the read.
    Aug 6, 2015. 12:26 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    I have no plans on selling my shares. I am monitoring the situation and may add. I am already overweight though, so no hurry to increase exposure. I will continue to FRIP DIS shares on a monthly basis. This report doesn't worry me all that much. The stock was priced for perfection - the report wasn't perfect but it wasn't bad either.
    Aug 6, 2015. 12:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    I've always respected the polo brand. The company has strong management and solid dividend growth/potential (IMO). I tried to bottom feed earlier in the year and missed that out. Thus far I haven't been brave enough to double down. Probably won't. Can't win them all I guess.
    Aug 6, 2015. 12:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    Ted, thanks for your comment. As PG falls, I get more and more interested. I love a lot of the brand/product portfolio that this company offers. What I don't love are the fundamentals - especially with relation to the dividend...the payout ratio is getting lofty...
    Aug 5, 2015. 11:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    I think this weakness today opens up opportunities for potential DIS investors. Its still expensive but a 9% sell-off helps. Looking forward, I still love the company. I'm actually in Disney World right now posting this (no lie) - my wife and I took our vacation down here this summer. I will probably begin working on a DIS piece while I'm down here. Long DIS>
    Aug 5, 2015. 11:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    Rich and Mike, congrats on your AAPL positions. I've been traveling the last couple of day and haven't been around a cpu...when I saw the big Dip on Tuesday I wondered who had jumped on board. Since I'm already overweight I'll be waiting for further weakness before adding. If I miss out, thats OK - it'll do my current shares some good. Otherwise, I gain exposure to this wonderful company. Win-Win for me.

STAG took another big hit today. Watching STAG, UTX, PG, and VZ closely for potential initiations...AAPL, DIS, WFM, and BAX/BXLT for additions currently.
    Aug 5, 2015. 11:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    Mike, I thought PG was one of your largest positions, or was that someone else?
    Aug 3, 2015. 11:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: What's The 2015 Dividend Raise? [View article]
    I'd like to see the $0.35 number, or a 12.90% increase. That would be money (literally), IMO.

A 6% raise would be a bit of a disappointment; with their balance sheet and upcoming catalysts I expect a double digit increase.
    Aug 3, 2015. 10:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    I guess my fear/worry is this: just how "high quality" are they really. I know, I know, that sounds blasphamous saying that about PG but for some time now I've seen a management team that doesn't seem to have a grasp on why their products are losing their luster and how to get out of this downward spiral (and I'm not talking stock price, I'm talking the deteriorating fundamentals).

Typically I'm not a big fan of divesting revenue streams. I understand that they are redundant or not very profitable in PG's case but I also haven't seen the company make any big moves with that money to boost earnings. I'd rather them hold onto these iconic brands and use their revenues to grow the company...I guess when it comes to it, in the consumer staples space, I'm just not a big fan of addition by subtraction.
    Aug 3, 2015. 10:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    You could be right, LS1. I'm sure that COH does have higher upside potential than MMM, especially after so much weakness, though I would also argue that its downside is lower (as shown by its massive red number posted today). MMM isn't going anywhere....COH may be acquired, which might be its saving grace, though at this point, I worry about the company and its finances.
    Aug 3, 2015. 06:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving My Portfolio's Quality With Shares Of 3M Company [View article]
    Glad to hear I'm not alone.
    Aug 3, 2015. 06:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment